No announcement yet.

The death process, reaping & what the Winchesters will learn about souls

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death process, reaping & what the Winchesters will learn about souls

I think what we saw in this episode was a 1-time thing since usually reapers bring death & reap the souls of those who die. It would have to be, because Death can't be everywhere at once, as multiple people die simultaneously all the time in all parts of the world & there are 1000's of reapers who Death can't accompany. Plus, until Lucifer performed that spell in Abandon All Hope, Death was locked away for 1000's of years.

I also wanted to find out what would have happened to Sam had Dean touched him without his soul in his body. Would he have died? I know his body was vulnerable to punishment of various types, but could it be killed when there was nothing inside for a reaper to reap like there was with everyone else Dean touched? Perhaps Sam's body would have dropped with his soul still being in hell. Or perhaps not. I guess we'll never know unless Sam's soul is seperated from him again.

I felt that the death process tonight was quite a bit different than how it was depicted in Death Takes a Holiday. I was hoping we'd see the creation of a vengeful spirit/restless soul tonight by having one of the souls of those who Dean touched refusing to go with Tessa. I thought it would happen with the girl after Dean finally touched her. Anyway, one "inconsistency" was how the robber who got shot was suffering before Dean touched him. In Death Takes a Holiday, the guy who got shot in the opening scene wasn't in pain but seemed to be OK until he was finally reaped. Then again, he may have been healed at the hospital after getting shot (I have to watch it again). It also seemed that the souls in Death Takes a Holiday seemed to have more of a choice to go along with Tessa (or any reaper for that matter). It seems like the stricter conditions now would prevent any souls from turning into vengeful spirits.

One really consistent thing though is that death seems to be a 2 step process here & in Death Takes a Holiday where step 1 is seperating the soul from the body & step 2 is reaping the soul. In Death Takes a Holiday all those people who avoided dying because the local reaper was kidnapped by Alistair got healed & then were reaped later on after the natural damage that was done to their bodies was healed mainly because the natural order had to be established. In this episode that same thing happened with that girl when Dean restored the natural order by touching her.

So this again brings up the question what would happen to Sam if he would have been touched by a reaper. The touch seperates the soul from his body, but Sam's soul was already seperated from his body. And your average reaper wouldn't be able to go to hell to reap his soul from there, only Death was able to do that. And given that Death wouldn't have done that had Dean not asked him to, what would have happened to Sam's body had it sustained what would normally be mortal wounds? I think we can say after some analysis that he wouldn't have died. If a reaper's touch merely seperates the body & soul, then that wouldn't work on Sam. Or if Sam would have died, Death himself would have to reap him.

Finally regarding what Death told Dean about how he & Sam are digging & are on their way to finding out something big about souls---I think it may have to do with the damage souls sustain in hell & perhaps how to reverse the damage. If that's it, then I wouldn't be surprised if Sam & Dean are able to turn demon's back into souls & may even do that to Meg. I don't think they can do that to dead demons (if we ever see them in Purgatory), but the living demons who are transformed souls of dead humans can possibly be saved. I'm very interested to find out what they will uncover.

One disappointment I have though is not getting to see Sam's soul having been transformed into a demon & all the cool plots that could have led to. I do wonder if the reason his soul looked like a glowing ball is due to the damage it took. The other souls we've seen in this episode actually look like their bodies. This was true of Dean's soul in In My Time of Dying & true of both Winchesters' souls & the soul of the kid who helped them in Death Takes a Holiday. It was also true of pretty much every spirit we've seen (whether vengeful or not, though they usually flash).

If you seen the episoede "My bloody Valentine", you can see that the souls are like that glowing light.

Comment

I remember that now. Sometimes they do the physical form & sometimes they do the glowing ball. I wonder if there's a distinction. Maybe the glowing ball form is a reaped soul that hasn't been taken to its final destination yet & once a reaped soul has been taken to its destination, it resumes its original form like Pamela & Ash in Heaven or Dean in hell.

Comment

I was thinking at the end of the episode that Dean was going to try to force death into releasing Sam and Adam by saying that he would use the ring to reap death if he didn't get them out.

Comment

First off, Death is a horseman. Second, he was not locked away for 1000's of years he was bound to Lucifer in the ceremony. Death has been around forever even he did not know which was created first him or God. I am more interested in the quest he has set Sam and Dean on. He said it is about the souls. Souls are more valuable than you can image. I wonder which souls we are concerned with those that are trapped between heaven and hell or those that are in Purgatory?

Comment

They pretty clearly establish Death was locked away. They said the last time he was "out", Noah was building his Ark.

Comment

Originally posted by targis
              I was thinking at the end of the episode that Dean was going to try to force death into releasing Sam and Adam by saying that he would use the ring to reap death if he didn't get them out.
              That would never happen. The ring, it seems to me, makes Death able to enter back into Hell without going back to his dormant state which is 600 feet below Hell and the ring was only capable of making Dean reap souls, but to ever reap Death is not even possible. The only thing I can think is a way to kill the Horseman is the scythe.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎