This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canary
    "I miss my typewriter" -Hawkman xD
    I loved that. 'I miss my typewriter, no you miss your telegraph.' lol and 'you aren't gonna hug me are you?'
    Last edited by clois84; 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
      There's nothing offensive nor degrading about identifying yourself as someone's "girl." I have a freaking Doctorate and I'm more than proud to say that I'm my husband's girl. And he has a freaking Doctorate too and he's more than proud to say that he's my guy. Belonging to each other and loving each other and being proud to state that you love each other doesn't objectify anyone or anything. Commiting your life to someone and feeling thrilled and proud to make that commitment is not an expression of objectification. Women are fully capable of being smart, productive, equal members of society and still feeling proud to also identify themselves as a wife. The entire point of the "women's lib" movement is that women have a freaking CHOICE. It wasn't about making it so that every woman who wants to get married and spend her life with a man is accused of objectification.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Again, you are distorting the scene. Carter never once said that a hero had to be married. He said that a hero couldn't have emptiness in his/her heart and that balance was important. He never said that that emptiness had to be fulfilled by a spouse. He never said that that balance could only be achieved through marriage. The JSA was perfect proof that creating a "family" and looking out for each other was a way of providing balance. You have to have something to fight for or you're empty. For Clark and for Carter, that "something" that kept their hearts full was love for a woman. For others, it might be the love for a sister, or brother or child.
      Don't twist Carter's words.

You are your own woman. He is his own man. He doesn't 'belong' to you and you don't 'belong' to him. 'To have and to hold' and 'giving' your child is a horrendous throwback to the days when women were property to be traded. To commit is one thing, that is deciding to share your lives together for mutual advantage. Its romantic and its sweet but you are not giving yourself, you share yourself. You are still in control of your body and your mind, you don't give that up. By saying she 'belongs' to someone she makes herself a possession and an object.

And what Carter said is sentimental trash. Of course someone can fight for this world without any stake in it, in fact it is more heroic and awe inspiring to do so. Some real life heroes, who have lost everything fight because its the right thing to do. Its selfless.

Comment

Clark: You don't make it easy to ask a simple question. But that's what makes you...you. The woman I wanna spend my life with. The woman that I love. Lois Lane, will you marry me?
        Lois: Yes.

Lois: Chloe, what really happened between Clark and Lana? She couldn't make the sacrifices he needed, could she?
        Chloe: Let's just say Lana wasn't the one fated to be in Clark's life.

Cat: Oh, my God. Lois Lane. Are you expecting?
        Lois: Spread that rumor, and you can expect my fist in your face.

Clark: Why didn't you call me?
        Oliver: It's my fault. I figured you could use some time alone with Lois.
        Carter: I told the human speed-bag you'd wanna know when he got his bell rung.

Oliver: Listen, I was thinking about Slade and that Mega-Mart Darkness thing...
        Carter: "Omega."
        Oliver: Well, whatever.

Oliver: Really?
        Carter: I miss my typewriter.
        Oliver: You miss the telegraph. Just... get away, eight-track.

Lois: G.I. Joe, when are you going to accept that you can't beat the real American heroes? Last time you tried, you went down with the ship.

Lois: And for better or worse, I am standing by the Blur.
        Slade: But he's not here to stand between you and a bullet.

Slade: That's my girl.
        Lois: I'm not your girl. I'm his.

Slade: Survive? Let's just say the reaper can swing his sickle at me, but I'm beyond Death's stroke now.
        Last edited by svfanforlife; 12-22-2010, 02:01 AM.

Comment

^I love all those quotes.

Comment

Politically correct claptrap. Focus on words and pick them apart. Don't bother to focus on intent.

"Hi," can mean a lot of things depending on how it is delivered. I think TW did a good job of investing a single syllable with a wealth of meaning.

It seems to me that deciding that Lois Lane is objectifying herself because of her word choice is willfully ignoring five years of character development.

People see and hear what they want some times instead of really paying attention to intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara
              Politically correct claptrap. Focus on words and pick them apart. Don't bother to focus on intent.

"Hi," can mean a lot of things depending on how it is delivered. I think TW did a good job of investing a single syllable with a wealth of meaning.

It seems to me that deciding that Lois Lane is objectifying herself because of her word choice is willfully ignoring five years of character development.

People see and hear what they want some times instead of really paying attention to intent.
              AMEN to that. QFT!

Look at the context and who stated the words. It is Freaking LOIS LANE. She wasn't objectifying herself.

When I say 'my girlfriend', am I objectifying her? When I call her 'my girl', am I objectifying her?

Please, we all need to pay attention to the context.

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
                There's nothing offensive nor degrading about identifying yourself as someone's "girl." ... Belonging to each other and loving each other and being proud to state that you love each other doesn't objectify anyone or anything.
                Absolutely. Lois is proud share a bond, a commitment to Clark and his mission. Loyalty and commitment are virtues-- the very opposite of demeaning. Being outspoken about it is what makes Lois... Lois.

You can tell she didn't finish college
                What can see is that she's capable of thinking for herself.
                Last edited by actaeon; 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Carter: *Tapping at computer trying to make it work*
                  Oliver: Really??
                  Carter: I miss my typewriter.
                  Oliver: You miss the telegraph *pushing carter out of the way* get away 8 track.

haha best lines ever

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
                    You are your own woman. He is his own man. He doesn't 'belong' to you and you don't 'belong' to him. 'To have and to hold' and 'giving' your child is a horrendous throwback to the days when women were property to be traded. To commit is one thing, that is deciding to share your lives together for mutual advantage. Its romantic and its sweet but you are not giving yourself, you share yourself. You are still in control of your body and your mind, you don't give that up. By saying she 'belongs' to someone she makes herself a possession and an object.

And what Carter said is sentimental trash. Of course someone can fight for this world without any stake in it, in fact it is more heroic and awe inspiring to do so. Some real life heroes, who have lost everything fight because its the right thing to do. Its selfless.
                    But "giving" yourself is YOUR choice & a woman's (& man's) right to do so. Your contracting yourself by "denying" people the right to give themselves to another. Its their choice to! & I'm incredibly proud to call myself my fiancee's "girl", & he loves it when I call him my man. Giving yourself, I think, is an extremely romantic term! Your completly committing yourself to someone else, & trusting them. Your opening yourself up to the other person in every way, claiming ownership of EACH OTHER.
                    I wonder, do you also disagree with people saying "she's my wife", "I'm her husband", "they're my boss", "she's my best friend".. That's just as objectifying. Choosing to give yourself to another is still a choice, One I was glad to make. Giving yourself is selfless, and an act of trust and love.
                    Btw.. sharing.. is still giving.. when you share something, you give the other person ownership over what your sharing. You share one of your lollypops with someone, you give them the lollypop..

& I'm sure.. if you ask a lot of people that are in the armed forces.. they are fighting to protect their families & homes, Putting themself on the line for what they love. You always fight for something.. & its either for yourself or for something you love & believe in.

I loved the whole proposal scene.. Clark was trying so hard to do it!

Comment

Tess: Your trying to make me uncomfortable arent you?

Comment

Clark:" Lois Lane will you marry me ?"

Comment

"I'm a pro at dying." - Carter Hall

Pretty funny line considering Michael Shanks played Daniel Jackson who has "died" so many times that they even make jokes at it.

Comment

"So, I think anyone who commits themselves to a lifetime of Lois deserves all the moral support they can get. Seriously, there's nothing more than I'd like than to be court side at the EVENT OF THE DECADE,"...

Didn't catch this the first time I watched the episode. It really is the event of the ten years Smallville has been on

Comment

So many lines in this one...but so love the scenes between Carter and Oliver...from some of the things that Michael said he and Justin got on well off screen as well.

Kriss

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎