Favorite Quotes from "Icarus"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ well i dont know what carter was thinking but in the context of the episode (with all the talk/celebrating for clois, carter/shayera and even chlollie) i took he meant love for a woman. and it just sounded off to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SVfan87
      ^^ well i dont know what carter was thinking but in the context of the episode (with all the talk/celebrating for clois, carter/shayera and even chlollie) i took he meant love for a woman. and it just sounded off to me.
      Well, to be fair, if that's the case...I still don't really see what's wrong with that. If Carter personally believed that the way to fill emptiness was with eros love---well, I think that's understandable. He wouldn't be the first or last person to believe that eros love is a life changing, life defining emotion that fills one's life with joy and balance. There is a reason why some of our greatest poets, novelists, playwrites and composers have spent signifigant portions of their careers writing and composing about eros love.

Either way, I still think that Carter's own family/mentor relationships with both Dr. Fater and Stargirl clearly show that he values family and friendship and emotional connection outside of eros love.

But hey, it's cool. We can agree to disagree.

Comment

Cat: Are you expecting?
        Lois: Spread that rumor around, and you can expect my fist in your face!

Clark: Wait, um I think I hear a situation that needs saving! (As in his proposal situation)

Comment

There were so many great quotes in this episode! Favorite would have to be the "Lane... Kent Lane..." by Lois

Oh--Also the typewriter & "get away 8 track" quote from Oliver to Carter. Those two were awesome.

Originally posted by Audrey229
          There's nothing offensive nor degrading about identifying yourself as someone's "girl." I have a freaking Doctorate and I'm more than proud to say that I'm my husband's girl. And he has a freaking Doctorate too and he's more than proud to say that he's my guy. Belonging to each other and loving each other and being proud to state that you love each other doesn't objectify anyone or anything. Commiting your life to someone and feeling thrilled and proud to make that commitment is not an expression of objectification. Women are fully capable of being smart, productive, equal members of society and still feeling proud to also identify themselves as a wife. The entire point of the "women's lib" movement is that women have a freaking CHOICE. It wasn't about making it so that every woman who wants to get married and spend her life with a man is accused of objectification.
          I completely agree. While I do usually get a little nervous when I hear about someone being someone's "girl" or "guy", it is about what the person chooses. Lois wasn't saying she gained worth from a man, but rather that she would support him as someone who cares for him. No harm in what she said.

I am curious though, because I missed the first line, when did Lois make the "women's lib" comment?

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
            That was awful, you can't be a hero if you are single?
            "Isis" went even further saying singles only exist and don't really live...

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
              No...that's not what the episode said at all.

The point of "Isis" was about what a person was willing to risk for love. The point was that if your heart is broken---and you allow that pain to consume you---then you only exist. You don't live.

And frankly, I'm not really sure what's wrong with that message. This show is not saying that you all have to be married. But the characters on this show value eros love deeply. That's a part of who they are. Clark Kent, as a character, deeply, deeply values eros love. Carter Hall is the same way. Even Oliver Queen is the same way. And you know what? They aren't unique. My guess would be that if you took a survey of this board most people would agree with that statement. Love is a powerful emotion and MOST people do value it above all else.

Either way, this isn't about whether people should be single or married. It's not about US. It's about the characters and what THEY believe. Who THEY are. Since love has been such a central theme for THESE characters and is so important to THEM, the themes are very fitting.

And you know what? I'm not afraid to come out and say that I think a life without love of some kind is empty. I think that love can manifest itself in different ways. For some people, it's the love between a husband and wife. For others, it's the love between a parent and a child. For others, it's a love between close friends or silbings. But I don't think there is anything wrong with this show taking the stance that love is the most important driving force in the human existence. It's not exactly a novel concept and there's a reason WHY it's not exactly a novel concept. Because for many, many people in this world....it's the truth.

Comment

Not even remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by biggumt
                  "HI"
                  I also really enjoyed hearing the tone of TW voice with the "hi". It reminded me of Upgrade and that was hot.

Comment

I can hear someone in need of saving!

Comment

My fav. quote was "You make asking a simple question difficult"

Comment

The point of "Isis" was about what a person was willing to risk for love. The point was that if your heart is broken---and you allow that pain to consume you---then you only exist. You don't live.

And frankly, I'm not really sure what's wrong with that message. This show is not saying that you all have to be married. But the characters on this show value eros love deeply. That's a part of who they are. Clark Kent, as a character, deeply, deeply values eros love. Carter Hall is the same way. Even Oliver Queen is the same way. And you know what? They aren't unique. My guess would be that if you took a survey of this board most people would agree with that statement. Love is a powerful emotion and MOST people do value it above all else.

Either way, this isn't about whether people should be single or married. It's not about US. It's about the characters and what THEY believe. Who THEY are. Since love has been such a central theme for THESE characters and is so important to THEM, the themes are very fitting.

And you know what? I'm not afraid to come out and say that I think a life without love of some kind is empty. I think that love can manifest itself in different ways. For some people, it's the love between a husband and wife. For others, it's the love between a parent and a child. For others, it's a love between close friends or silbings. But I don't think there is anything wrong with this show taking the stance that love is the most important driving force in the human existence. It's not exactly a novel concept and there's a reason WHY it's not exactly a novel concept. Because for many, many people in this world....it's the truth.
                        This board member agrees!

Comment

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

There's nothing offensive nor degrading about identifying yourself as someone's "girl." I have a freaking Doctorate and I'm more than proud to say that I'm my husband's girl. And he has a freaking Doctorate too and he's more than proud to say that he's my guy. Belonging to each other and loving each other and being proud to state that you love each other doesn't objectify anyone or anything. Commiting your life to someone and feeling thrilled and proud to make that commitment is not an expression of objectification. Women are fully capable of being smart, productive, equal members of society and still feeling proud to also identify themselves as a wife. The entire point of the "women's lib" movement is that women have a freaking CHOICE. It wasn't about making it so that every woman who wants to get married and spend her life with a man is accused of objectification.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Again, you are distorting the scene. Carter never once said that a hero had to be married. He said that a hero couldn't have emptiness in his/her heart and that balance was important. He never said that that emptiness had to be fulfilled by a spouse. He never said that that balance could only be achieved through marriage. The JSA was perfect proof that creating a "family" and looking out for each other was a way of providing balance. You have to have something to fight for or you're empty. For Clark and for Carter, that "something" that kept their hearts full was love for a woman. For others, it might be the love for a sister, or brother or child.
                          Don't twist Carter's words.
                          Who said that the emptiness had to be filled by a spouse? You're missing the point. Carter did not say that you had to have a spouse. He was saying that you can't truly serve people as a hero if your heart is empty. That emptiness can be filled in a multitude of ways. For Clark and Carter, the empty feeling has been filled by eros love. However, Carter's mentor relationship with Stargirl is a good example of another kind of relationship that can inspire and fill a hero's heart with hope. We also learned in AJ that Carter felt very protective and cared deeply for Dr. Fate. Carter's message was about seeking connection and making time and balance for those that you love the most. For Clark, that's Lois. But he wasn't saying that you had to be married.
                          Well, to be fair, if that's the case...I still don't really see what's wrong with that. If Carter personally believed that the way to fill emptiness was with eros love---well, I think that's understandable. He wouldn't be the first or last person to believe that eros love is a life changing, life defining emotion that fills one's life with joy and balance. There is a reason why some of our greatest poets, novelists, playwrites and composers have spent signifigant portions of their careers writing and composing about eros love.

Either way, I still think that Carter's own family/mentor relationships with both Dr. Fater and Stargirl clearly show that he values family and friendship and emotional connection outside of eros love.

But hey, it's cool. We can agree to disagree.

Originally posted by Babbers
                          This board member agrees!

Bravo...well said

"Tell me whom you love and I'll tell who you are".
                          Last edited by KansasKitty; 12-12-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Cat: Are you expecting?
                            Lois: Spread that rumor and you can expect my fist in your face.

^^that little exchange and Oliver/Carter's A-track banter were hilarious!
                            Last edited by smallvillerocks45; 12-13-2010, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Audrey229

Very well said! No one can't live with out Love

Clark Kent has valued love since he was child. It's apart of him. If CK loves/care for you a very special thing b/c he does care for you permanently. Unless you betray him where we have seen personally how CK's love can turn around & change for better or worst (Lex, Lionel, Tess, Lois & Lana).

I agree with the view of "Isis" it's perfect meaning & I too see this. CK is known to be consumed with pain especially when dealing with is romantic life. Even though he didn't stop living when Lana was gone , it was clear his attachment to Lois is deeper as viewed by his complete lost of all hope in humanity when Lois was gone.

We have seen how dark CK can get if he doesn't except to heal from a large sorrow as the lost of Lois Lane. He's never loved like this before. It does frighten him. "Iraus" was a good episode on how scared CK is if anything was to happen to Lois. The look he give her when speaking with Carter & he tell CK he already thanked him by the look of love on CK face to Lois was a clear to everyone that Clark adores Lois more then any person on earth. She's very much apart of his being already. Carter is alot like CK when it comes to his love for a women who happens to be his mate.

I do believe CK will come to terms at Lois' mortality over the years, it's a matter of CK growing to accept Lois will not live forever, but this shouldn't scare him b/c he can love her now & live with the memories of his deep love & keep this with him in his longevity.

I agree CK will never fall in love in this profound way again, but I believe CK has the ability to fall in love again b/c it's part of his soul, he's a good man & he can't stop from loving anyone it's part of his humanity & a vital part of him being the best hero he can be.

CK will carry a deep painful sorrow over the death of his wife, but he will learn to heal as he will never forget no matter if he loves again, the only women who has been able to love him just perfectly his wife , his greatest love, his soulmate a human mortal women named Lois Lane Kent.
                              Last edited by Tinyeppy; 12-13-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

How Keri Lynn Pratt delivered this line made me chuckle

Cat to Lois: "With the VRA cleaning up our streets you don't have any heros to write about any more but thats O-kay you can use the extra time to work on your domestic side...SNICKER DOODLE!" (very chirpy)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎