Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badraven
    What's negative about it? "Luthor" had few viewers in the 2nd half than it did in the first. Lots of episodes have and lots of episodes have had the reverse happen. No big deal.
    It is nice to see numbers increase over the coarse of an hour. That being said as I pointed out above it seemed like a general trend for all the shows during the 8-9 hour

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
      http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...scripted/74285

Hate to put a negative spin on this but.....

8:00 1.1/4 2.885
      8:30 1.1/4 2.701

Almost 200k lost interest with "Luthor" after 30 minutes and I can't say I'm surprised. I'm sure those 2.885 tuning in probably expected a great episode and had to suffer through a sh*tfest instead.

I don't blame them for leaving so most of us suffered through it hoping for the episode to eventually turn around but it never did.

I just hope next week doesn't suffer because of Luthor...

Comment

Good Ratings and the people that tuned out missed quite an ending! Sucks for them but great for me

Comment

If by ending you mean the last minute then yes they missed out on that but they saved themselves from seeing a godawful second half.

Comment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...scripted/74285

Hate to put a negative spin on this but.....

8:00 1.1/4 2.885
            8:30 1.1/4 2.701

Comment

LOL the negativity, these ratings are GOOD and demos even better.

People said ratings would drop cause of Patriot last week

I think Icarus has a chance of hitting 3million +

Comment

It is nice to see numbers increase over the coarse of an hour. That being said as I pointed out above it seemed like a general trend for all the shows during the 8-9 hour
                Of course we would always like ratings to go up. My point was that LOTS of episodes of the series have had the same pattern: ratings went down in the 2nd half. You state that was the trend last night if I understand you correctly, thus LOTS of shows were down in that 2nd half hour. Why, who knows?

Some, who didn't like the episode, are making the case (and I apologize if that isn't what you were trying to do b/c I thought it was) that somehow this very common occurrence somehow is a reflection of the quality of the episode. As if the drop was related to lots of people not liking the episode. Very, very poor reasoning IMO. We just have no way of knowing why, in ANY episode, ratings go down in the back half. When ratings go up in the second half does that mean that lots of people started calling each other saying "hey- you gotta start watching this ep. it's amazing!" Maybe but doubtful. Ratings change during the course of episodes, why- lots of reasons. Also, just looking at the second half of "Luthor" based on the fast nationals it would be one of the highest rated episodes of the season. Not too bad IMO.

In the end, as I stated many times in threads like this, I don't believe that ratings equal quality. If ratings equal quality then the best show on TV today is American Idol. Because lots of people watch something, does that make it good? Because not a lot of people watch something, does that make it bad? I don't believe that. Ratings, for fans IMO, are a means to an end- the end being more episodes of the show you like. In SV's case ratings have been good enough to make SV the most sucessful TV show ever based on Superman, a comic book and tied with Stargate SG:1 as the longest running American TV sci-fi/fantasy series. To me, that means we got our end. Reading anything else into ratings IMO is meaningless.
                Last edited by badraven; 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

why is it meaningless?

Luthor lost 200k viewers in second half, not a single episode this or last ear had such a drop afaik and the general trend this season was episodes actually gained viewers in second half, so this big drop was caused by something. Unless you know about poweroutages, preemtions or whatnot in second half, the loss had come from different reasons. One of them can very likely be lost interest in the medicore episode. Who knows, maybe it was the incestuous relationship that turned people off? I wouldnt blame them.

Comment

Of course we would always like ratings to go up. My point was that LOTS of episodes of the series have had the same pattern: ratings went down in the 2nd half. You state that was the trend last night if I understand you correctly, thus LOTS of shows were down in that 2nd half hour. Why, who knows?

Some, who didn't like the episode, are making the case (and I apologize if that isn't what you were trying to do b/c I thought it was) that somehow this very common occurrence somehow is a reflection of the quality of the episode. As if the drop was related to lots of people not liking the episode. Very, very poor reasoning IMO. We just have no way of knowing why, in ANY episode, ratings go down in the back half. When ratings go up in the second half does that mean that lots of people started calling each other saying "hey- you gotta start watching this ep. it's amazing!" Maybe but doubtful. Ratings change during the course of episodes, why- lots of reasons. Also, just looking at the second half of "Luthor" based on the fast nationals it would be one of the highest rated episodes of the season. Not too bad IMO.

In the end, as I stated many times in threads like this, I don't believe that ratings equal quality. If ratings equal quality then the best show on TV today is American Idol. Because lots of people watch something, does that make it good? Because not a lot of people watch something, does make it bad? I don't believe that. Ratings, for fans IMO, are a means to an end- the end being more episodes of the show you like. In SV's case ratings have been good enough to make SV the most sucessful TV show ever based on Superman, a comic book and tied with Stargate SG:1 as the longest running American TV sci-fi/fantasy series. To me, that means we got our end. Reading anything else into ratings IMO is meaningless.

Is this the first time the numbers went down in the second half hour this year? Smallville typically builds to the second half hour.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                      Patriot was rather crappy but compared to this one it was a walk in the garden. I would have rather seen Patriot part 2 than this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~

I think Icarus has a chance of hitting 3million +
                        While Luthor got better ratings then I expected, I do think Lionel coming back did help the ratings a bit. While I could be wrong, I don't see Icarus being the second episode to break 3M this season and probably will settle in the 2.6-2.9 range the show has been since Homecoming.

Comment

Delighted to hear the ratings of 2.78 million!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO go SV!!!! .

Comment

Originally posted by Sarevokcz
                            why is it meaningless?

Luthor lost 200k viewers in second half, not a single episode this or last ear had such a drop afaik and the general trend this season was episodes actually gained viewers in second half, so this big drop was caused by something. Unless you know about poweroutages, preemtions or whatnot in second half, the loss had come from different reasons. One of them can very likely be lost interest in the medicore episode. Who knows, maybe it was the incestuous relationship that turned people off? I wouldnt blame them.
                            It meaningless because we don't know why ratings went down in the second half of the episode and frankly we can never know why they went down. And because, again IMO, ratings don't equal quality. "Magnetic" was the most watched episode of season three, does that mean it was the best episode of that season? I think it's the worst of the season and the series actually. "Upgrade" was the lowest rated episode last season, does that mean it's the worst episode of season nine? I don't think so. But if we accept that ratings equal quality we most accept that yes- "Magnetic" is the best episode of season three and "Upgrade" is the worst episode of season nine. (BTW- I'm sure there are people who think that, and you are right for you .)

My point is that, as has happened many times in the past for SV, ratings for the second half went down and we don't know why that happend for "Luthor." It happens to lots of shows and we just don't know why that happens. Maybe there was another show they wanted to see, maybe they left to go somewhere, maybe they didn't like the episode and turned it off. But again...we just don't know. Trying to find any meaning in the ratings as it relates to quality is, again IMO, a pointless exercise.

Again- 2.79 million viewers (fast nationals) for a December episode after a week break are fantastic numbers.

Comment

Great posts, badraven.

It's the overall ratings that matter to me.

Comment

It meaningless because we don't know why ratings went down in the second half of the episode and frankly we can never know why they went down. And because, again IMO, ratings don't equal quality. "Magnetic" was the most watched episode of season three, does that mean it was the best episode of that season? I think it's the worst of the season and the series actually. "Upgrade" was the lowest rated episode last season, does that mean it's the worst episode of season nine? I don't think so. But if we accept that ratings equal quality we most accept that yes- "Magnetic" is the best episode of season three and "Upgrade" is the worst episode of season nine. (BTW- I'm sure there are people who think that, and you are right for you .)

My point is that, as has happened many times in the past for SV, ratings for the second half went down and we don't know why that happend for "Luthor." It happens to lots of shows and we just don't know why that happens. Maybe there was another show they wanted to see, maybe they left to go somewhere, maybe they didn't like the episode and turned it off. But again...we just don't know. Trying to find any meaning in the ratings as it relates to quality is, again IMO, a pointless exercise.

Again- 2.79 million viewers (fast nationals) for a December episode after a week break are fantastic numbers.
                                there is difference between comparing ratings between different weeks and between two half hours of the same episode. Especially when overall ratings usually jump without any sort of pattern, one week high, second low, etc. SV gaining in the second half of the episode was trend for more than 2 months. Something happened. We dont know what, but given the fact that SV pulled out incestuous relationship in first half, I dont see how it is unbealievable to people be disgusted by it, especially if they watch with kids etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎