Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy (Clark and Tess)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

great chapter! i love how tess loves baby john it just makes this story even better . i can't wait for clark and tess to become closer

Comment

Originally posted by lana4ever
      great chapter! i love how tess loves baby john it just makes this story even better . i can't wait for clark and tess to become closer
      I can't wait either!

Comment

Would love to read more. It got kind of hard to read in this chapter with the paragraphs so close together, but the story itself is interesting and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Cless is better (or at least good as) Clois. Can't wait for an update!

Comment

Oh wow. As a Cloiser this is breaking my heart.. but I am glad Tess is there.. Looking forward to more.. PPMS!!

Comment

awesome story! can't wait for the next chapter!

Comment

Thank you for all of your encouragement and advice. You guys rock. Sorry this update took so long. I had to back to school - for two days - but now I'm on holidays so updates should be regular until Christmas.

Disclaimer: I do not own Smallville in any form except in my dreams.
              Rating: PG (is that the right rating for fics?)

Chapter 3

Clark floated in empty space. The cacophony that was life on Earth could not be heard here. There were no sirens blazing. No children laughing. No screams for help. No wedding vows being said.

Clark allowed the silence to wash over him; the emptiness he’d come to appreciate over the last 3 months returning slowly. Here he didn’t have to move on. He could stay in the same place and no one would notice. Perry wouldn’t be calling to inquire as to when Clark Kent would be making a return to the Daily Planet. Jimmy wouldn’t be calling to see if he needed any photos taken. Cat wouldn’t be dropping off any cookies. Jonathan wouldn’t be screaming for his father’s attention. And Tess wouldn’t look at him with pity.

Superman didn’t deserve pity. He’d made more mistakes in the last 8 months than he had for the past 4 years. Superman wasn’t allowed to make mistakes; he was Superman. He’d heard people start to whisper. Superman is loosing… I could’ve died…. He loved her, wouldn’t you…? He needed to be better. He needed to be stronger. People – the world- depended on him. And he couldn’t move on.

Clark closed his eyes. He was tired. He wanted Lois back. She helped him keep him walk the tightrope that was his life. He didn’t know how to do it without her. He hadn’t been back to the Planet since; hadn’t been Clark Kent since. He was only Superman but Superman needed Clark Kent.

His concentration faltered and gravity pulled him down back into the upper atmosphere. At once the sounds accosted him. Clark zoned in on Indonesia. Another volcano. He sighed as he flew towards the island nation. He needed Clark Kent back again.

“No Jonathan, don’t eat that. That’s Krypto’s food, not yours. It’s yucky.” Tess picked up Jonathan, taking the now soggy dog biscuit out of his hands.

“Poto. Poto. Poto.” Jonathan chanted, clapping his hands together. Sometimes Tess wanted some of his endless energy and cheerfulness.

“Yes. It’s Krypto’s food.” She replied, deciphering the baby talk with the ease of someone with practice. She lifted him into his high chair and deposited a plate of scrambled eggs in front of the dark-haired baby. “And this is your food. Scrambled eggs: your favourite.”

Jonathan picked up his plastic spoon with all the grace of a one and a half year old, scooped up some eggs and flung it at Tess. He laughed gleefully as it landed in her long hair.

Tess huffed, fingering at her hair attempting to find the gooey egg. “You think that’s funny don’t you?” Her response was a garble of incoherent syllables. “Well I don’t.” She picked the egg from her hair and chucked in the open bin. “But you don’t even understand me yet do you?”

“GoGo.”

“I’m going to take that as a no. You know I think I’ve had less intellectual conversations with the LuthorCorp Board. So keep this up and we’ll make a genius out of you yet.”

“Ra!” He started banging on the table with the spoon. The phone in the hall rang, its shrill noise starling them both. “Phan. Phan.”

“Phone.” Tess corrected as she hurried to answer it. “Kent Residence. Tess speaking.”

“Ah Miss Mercer, Perry White here.” Perry said down the line. “Is Clark in?”

“No sorry. He’s out running some errands.” Tess lied easily, watching Jonathan fling more eggs around the kitchen. That was going to be fun to clean up.

Perry sighed. She could practically see him ease back in his chair and pinch the bridge of his nose. “Do you know if he’s planning on coming back any time soon? It’s getting hard to keep his position open.”

Tess turned away from Jonathan. He didn’t need to hear this, even if he couldn’t understand. “Perry, you know that I can’t answer that. It’s Clark’s decision. I’m not getting involved.” I’ve done enough manipulating to last a hundred lifetimes and I’m not doing it any more, she thought to herself.

“You and I both know that until he comes back, Clark won’t be able to move on. In fact, I remember Lois ordering him to come back.”

Tess closed her eyes tightly, trying to think of what to say. “Lois thought that Clark would work through the pain.” And he is, as Superman.

“Well can you talk to him? He’s too good to be wasting his life as a farmer.” Perry said vehemently.

“I know that Perry. I’ll tell him you called.”

“Thank you. If he doesn’t call back in a week I’m going to have no choice but to hire someone else.” Perry told her morosely. “I don’t want to loose Kent too. Goodbye Tess”

“Bye Perry.” Tess hung up, feeling slightly guilty for lying to the old man. Perry White was almost family to Lois and Clark and smart enough to know how to keep a secret. But it wasn’t her secret to tell. It was only hers to protect, just like Jonathan.
              “I take it that was Perry.” Clark said from behind.

Tess jumped about a foot in the air before whirling on the Kryptonian. “What have I told you about sneaking up on me?” She demanded hotly. “And yes that was Perry. How much did you hear?”

He shrugged. “Most of it. He wants me back soon or I’m out of a job.” He looked around the now chaotic kitchen. Runny scrambled egg now littered many different surfaces. “I’m going to guess that breakfast didn’t go so well?”

“And what gave you that impression?” Tess snarked sarcastically. “And don’t change the subject. Perry wants to help you.”

“The last person that tried to help me smoked herself to death; forgive me if I don’t want to subject another friend to that fate.” He picked up Jonathan and threw him into the air, catching him with ease. Jonathan laughed. “What do you say Buddy? How about we get you cleaned up?”

“Avoiding the problem won’t make it go away.” Tess told him, ignoring the change in subject. “And Perry doesn’t smoke.”

Clark glared at her pointedly. “You know it’s not about smoking.” He walked into the adjoining lounge room and put Jonathan in his play pen.

“No it’s not,” Tess agreed, following him out. “It’s about you not trusting that people have your back and not to go and die on you. Lois was supposed to be your forever but she died. So now you want to hide out on the farm and just leave to be Superman. Am I right?”

“Tess, I can’t go back there.” Clark turned to her, his eyes wet. “I know I’m supposed to but I can’t.”

Her face softened, anger at his stubbornness melting away. “Clark…”

“I’ve hovered above the roof so many times but I can’t go in because she’s there.”

“She’s dead Clark. She’s not there.”

“But her spirit is. The Planet was her life. She loved it. Remember how much she cried when she had to leave? That place was her second home, as much as Watchtower was to you.”

“I know that.” Tess took a step towards him. “I also know that Lois’ life was you and Jonathan. She wouldn’t want you to hide behind your cape forever, pushing people away.”

“It’s hard. Everyone I’ve trusted or loved is dead.”

“Jonathan is still here.” Tess pointed to the boy behind him. Jonathan wasn’t paying attention. He was playing with a teddy bear his own size. “Your mother is here. Oliver is here. You love them. You trust Perry and Cat and Jimmy don’t you? And they’re still here.”

“So what?” Clark demanded, his voice rising. I pretend Lois never existed? Keep going as if nothing has happened?”

“No, you keep going because Lois would want you to. Because she told you to,” Tess kept her voice even, trying to reason with the grieving man.

“Tess I…” Clark trailed off, a distant look in his eyes. “I have to go. There’s been a mine collapse in Australia.”

“Go. We’ll talk later.” Her tone made in an order. Clark zoomed passed her without another word. Tess collapsed on the couch. “Well that could have gone better.”

A/N: It will get happier, trust me. Remember, feedback is much appreciated.

Comment

Gosh I practically cried at his pain.. this is very good..
                looking forward to more.
                Last edited by FWvidchick; 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM. Reason: because I am an dork and can't spell

Comment

Wow this is beautiful. Keep it up!

Comment

Good job! PPMS.

-The Cat

Comment

I've been lurking here hoping you'd update. Very nice.

Comment

GREAT UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i notice how tess didn't mention herself when talking about the people still left in clark's life .. can't wait for more

Comment

awesome update. Please keep going with this story.

Comment

Love this story, can't wait to see what happens next.

Comment

Just reread it, loved the "Essa" part. I hope Tess will be more patient with Clark in the future. He's one of those guys that the more you push them, the more they back away, and that's not what she wants. I feel bad that Lois died due to smoking.
                              She will be missed. Anyway, please post more soon.

-The Cat

Comment

Gosh I practically cried at his pain.. this is very good
                                Aw... shucks. I don't know whether to say sorry for almost making you cry or not.

i notice how tess didn't mention herself when talking about the people still left in clark's life ..
                                Very good spotting... I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that . It gets righted in the next chapter.

I hope Tess will be more patient with Clark in the future. He's one of those guys that the more you push them, the more they back away, and that's not what she wants.
                                Yeah he's one of those guys but I think he needs to be pushed sometimes or he'll stay where he is and I think Tess thinks that too. If that makes any sense. Anyway thanks for the feedback - I need all the help I can get.

One random question: What do people do for fun in small American towns like Smallville? I live in outback Australia our version of fun in taking tourists to find Drop Bears but I don't think that happens in America.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎