No announcement yet.

Lois being equal to Clark

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginevrakent
    Lana saw herself as Clark's equal because she had the same abilities as he did. Lois sees herself as an equal because she believes in the causes Clark believes in and she lives a life of purpose just as Clark does, only she does it in her own unique way. In other words, Lana tried to be Clark to equal him. Lois is Clark's equal because she can handle Clark's life and live her own life without making Clark's life her own.
    Truth!

Originally posted by Iconic Couples Fan
    The difference in Lois and Lana is that Lana basically wanted to be Clark and Lois wants to be with Clark(with or without powers).
    Truth!

Originally posted by thehenry89
    Lana couldn't figure out clark's secret so she dated adam, who turned out to be a psychopath. Then she went back to clark but left for paris and dated Jason who once again turned out to be a psychopath. She still couldn't figure Clark out so she ran to Lex who was the king of pscychopaths...there's a pattern in here somewhere.
    LOL. Yeah there is a pattern somewhere.

Comment

I gotta' say, This was one of the best things in an A+ episode. I've been having trouble lately with the writers elevating Clark to a level he would never allow himself to be elevated to. To have Lois bring her opinion of him back down to earth was quite refreashing for me. Not so long ago she was comparing him to a god. it was nice to have her be the one to vocalize the fact that as Super as he may be, he's still just a Man.

Comment

How about a second? I once tried to argue that Amanda Waller was Clark's equal because she was not afraid of him and she would call him on his crap. She saw him eye to eye. MOD EDIT I've tried to argue the same for Kara who is equal to him in a different way and how she should be treated by him as such. MOD EDIT
        MOD EDIT, there are many woman on this show who are Clark's equal! Chloe, Amanda, Kara etc,.. I could go on and on!
        But the most people only see Lois in that role, and that's because they mistakenly count their relationship as a factor, which really is unrelated to the matter at hand, cause we should all view both Clark and Lois as separate individuals first in order to see what they bring to the relationship!
        And the fact is, Clark is a near immortal whilst Lois isn't, so some 100 years from now, he will be looking at other woman, even falling in love with them, who will all have similar traits as Lois does! Meaning, it's not so much Lois he was attracted to but her character traits combined with her looks!
        Basically he goes for tall, athletic brunettes, who have smarts, brass and bravery!
        The last three was something which Chloe possessed as well, but her outer image didn't fall into the image of what he imagined his partner would look like, so no dice!
        Really, when you analyze it, all comes down to attraction!
        There has to be attraction first, in order for a person to want to take the relationship to a deeper level!

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I gotta' say, This was one of the best things in an A+ episode. I've been having trouble lately with the writers elevating Clark to a level he would never allow himself to be elevated to. To have Lois bring her opinion of him back down to earth was quite refreshing for me. Not so long ago she was comparing him to a god. it was nice to have her be the one to vocalize the fact that as Super as he may be, he's still just a Man.
        Yeah, that's another thing, him being compared to a god by Lois no less, usually a voice of reason with no tact whatsoever, was pushing the envelope by a 100 miles! That wasn't well written!
        Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM. Reason: rule #10

Comment

When you get down to it, NO ONE is Clark's equal. Any woman, or man, on this show gets elevated to such a place simply because of Clark's belief system. He will never look down on them from a pedestal. BATMAN is the only "mortal man" who can ever be described accurately as Clark's equal. It has nothing to do with his power level and everything to do with who he is.

Comment

Originally posted by umm
            MOD EDITthere are many woman on this show who are Clark's equal! Chloe, Amanda, Kara etc,.. I could go on and on!
            But the most people only see Lois in that role, and that's because they mistaken count their relationship as a factor, which really is unrelated to the matter at hand, cause we should all view both Clark and Lois as separate individuals first in order to see what they bring to the relationship!
            There aren't any other women who are Clark's equals. In order to be Clark's equal, one must be able to understand Clark, share his values, push him when he needs to be pushed, pull back when he needs space, and offer a shoulder to cry on when he's carrying the weight of the world on his. Being an equal to Clark isn't about abilities or intelligence; that's simplistic. Lois and Clark are equals because they each inspire the other and they give each other what they need when they need it. Lois needs to believe in heroes and Clark needs someone like Lois to believe in him. Lois needs to be able to be able let someone see past her vulnerabilities and Clark needs someone who treats him like an ordinary guy. As Lois and Clark both articulated in this episode, they are equals because of their differences: they are puzzle pieces that when put together create a perfect picture.

And the fact is, Clark is a near immortal whilst Lois isn't, so some 100 years from now, he will be looking at other woman, even falling in love with them, who will all have similar traits as Lois does! Meaning, it's not so much Lois he was attracted to but her character traits combined with her looks!
            The facts on Clark's immortality differ from incarnation to incarnation, which essentially means we're not dealing with a fact or a foregone conclusion. However, if you want to apply outside canon to this incarnation of Lois and Clark, let's try it. You're right to say Clark could move on. There are several stories where this is not the case, but let's assume he does. In almost every story I can recall, despite moving on, no woman ever takes Lois Lane's place in Clark's heart. Clark may move on, but Lois always remains his one true love.

Yeah, that's another thing, him being compared to a god by Lois no less, usualy a voise of reason with no tact whatsoever, was pushing the envelope by a 100 miles! That wasn't well writen!
            Lois compared Clark to a god, as in a guy with god-like powers. John Jones used similar language in Odyssey, I believe. Furthermore, the line you are referring to was an obvious joke with the added Bono reference. Lois was being funny.
            Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

MOD NOTE: Please refrain from making this personal. Fan-on-fan talk or discussions of the boards is against forum rules. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, positive or negative. Where we draw the line is when people start disrespecting other people's opinions or making reference to other people disagreeing with them in the past or otherwise violating the rules. Discussing fans and calling out other posters absolutely unacceptable. Remember to report and do not respond to anyone who is violating the rules.Also, please refrain from turning this into a Clana vs. Clois thread or even joking about or discussing it becoming one
              Last edited by Vergon6; 11-21-2010, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginevrakent
                There aren't any other women who are Clark's equals. In order to be Clark's equal, one must be able to understand Clark, share his values, push him when he needs to be pushed, pull back when he needs space, and offer a shoulder to cry on when he's carrying the weight of the world on his. Being an equal to Clark isn't about abilities or intelligence; that's simplistic. Lois and Clark are equals because they each inspire the other and they give each other what they need when they need it. Lois needs to believe in heroes and Clark needs someone like Lois to believe in him. Lois needs to be able to be able let someone see past her vulnerabilities and Clark needs someone who treats him like an ordinary guy. As Lois and Clark both articulated in this episode, they are equals because of their differences: they are puzzle pieces that when put together create a perfect picture.
                Agreed. I mean I was re-watching S6 and watching Lois and Oliver together you could see why these two would never work where it counted that most, as you said Lois and Clark are able to understand each other on a more elemental level, share the same values and push each other, etc... I did not see that with Lois and Oliver and I think Lois and Clark's respective relationships with other people throughout their history never worked because none of them fit their puzzle pieces.

Clark and Lois being equals has nothing to do with his powers, IMO it has nothing to do with that I mean its pretty obvious that Lois is no much in that regard... its like my wife and I we are equals in all areas that count in our relationship we didn't have to change who we are and what we do for each other, I mean yeah if you really look at it we aren't equals in the physical sense but that doesn't matter where it counts is in your relationship and how you co-exist being who you are and Clark and Lois' differences and core values and traits is what makes them equals, they don't change who they are to meet at the same level, that's where the equality comes into play.

Its late I don't know if I'm making any sense but I agree with you Libby.
                Last edited by Shootza; 11-21-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biggumt
                  she was tired of being a victim, it wasn't even about being clarks equal.
                  But that's part of the problem with Lana, she thought power would make her not the victim, but if you look at Clark's life that's hardly true. Clark has been the victim all the time, bizzaro stole his life, he has an over controling/ignoring ice fortress for a father who takes his will, he's been sucked into the phantom zone, he's been helpless beaten and hell the man has even died! Yet he doesn't view himself as the victim the way Lana does, she has an emotional complex... Lois matches Clark in this way, she's been tossed, shot, stabbed, sent through time, and possessed but she doesn't count herself a victim and she doesn't have any powers!

Lois seeks to be Clark's moral equal, she is her own person who has just as many rights in the relationship as Clark does. That's different than the physical equal Lana thought made her Clark's equal but never did because they weren't on the same moral level.

Comment

Originally posted by biggumt
                    double standard
                    yes it is Lol, no matter how u slice and dice it.

clearly the two ladies are shown to be trying to hard to be on par with clark, in different ways, in different styles, outcome is the same.

i dont think clark is NOT equal to anyone, i think he is just different and more gifted.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueRanger
                      clearly the two ladies are shown to be trying to hard to be on par with clark, in different ways, in different styles, outcome is the same.
                      How was Lois shown trying to be on par with Clark? Lois wanted to be able to contact Clark in case of an emergency or in case she had important information for him. She was asking for some courtesy and respect, but not some kind of heroic or physical equivalence.

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by biggumt
                        double standard

It's really not. Lana tried to be Clark's equal by trying to be Clark. Lois, on the other hand, merely wants to be a hero in her own right as a reporter and someone Clark can seek out to fully share his burdens.
                        First, I don't think Lana tried to BE Clark. She went off, did her thing to become "powerful". Was it a psychological reaction to what happened for the first 7 years on SV? Well, yeah. The girl was tortured, traumatized, stalked, held hostage, and used as a pawn and a damsal in distress for 7 years -- with MUCH of it having to do with her relationship with Clark. Wanting to go off and get her own "girl power" (the training she did with what's-his-name seemed reasonable to me.

What was IMO over the line was her obsession with Lex. She seemed to be spending her days (pre-Bride) countering Lex's actions. Her decision to put on the Prometheus Suit was, I thought, not to BE LIKE CLARK but to STOP LEX from putting on the suit. I don't think she thought she needed Superpowers to be happy.

Now, once she HAD those Superpowers she felt she could be with Clark. After what Lana experienced (as a teen, mind you) I think it was pretty healthy to decide she couldn't be with Clark because she was a liability. That's how Clark was handling her as well. Once she had the suit, that issue was off the table and voila she could be with him. I just think it's false logic to say she put ON the suit to be like Clark.

Now as for Lois wanting to be a hero --- wasn't Chloe blasted for having envy for Clark by trying to be a hero?

Anyway you quibble about it --- Lois is measuring herself up against Clark and insisting on equality. I think that's fine but I think what the other women did is THE SAME THING, just varying circumstances.

MOD EDIT
                        Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: rule #10

Comment

Originally posted by SVFancross
                          Anyway you quibble about it --- Lois is measuring herself up against Clark and insisting on equality. I think that's fine but I think what the other women did is THE SAME THING, just varying circumstances.

So-- praising Lois and then complaining about the others seems double standard to me.
                          I have to agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by ~LLC~
                            Lana felt that POWERS made her Clark's equal.

Lois and Clark are equals emotionally.
                            Or in other word they are "soulmates"

Comment

Originally posted by umm
                              That's because people are biased, there are many woman on this show who are Clark's equal! Chloe, Amanda, Kara etc,.. I could go on and on!
                              Not really. Of the ones listed maybe only Kara fits.

This is what Mera said : "You're not like us, not like Clark but you are what he needs. You treat Clark not as your superior but as an equal and insist he do the same. "

In the end, it is about mutual respect and self-respect. Giving respect and expecting nothing less in return. Having the self confidence to know you deserve the same just as you are and going out and letting the other person know how you are feeling if you feel disrespected, but done in a respectful manner.

Alot of people try to demand respect from Clark through threats or powers but true respect is from commanding it. And you command it through example and talking it out. Lois came through in this episode by stepping up to the plate with the intel needed, and being upfront with her feelings to Clark.
                              Last edited by 4Clana; 11-21-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it´s the same basic pattern, despite the variation. First Lana, then Chloe, now Lois. Everyone needs to be a superhero or at least play on the same level. If Clark were a lawyer, Lois would probably demand that she be informed about his cases, and if he were a banker, she would probably want to discuss his investments with him...

Next time Clark will have to call in each time he superspeeds to some other place on this planet: "Lois, I have to superspeed to Miami, ok?", "Lois, now I´m done here and have to run to Seattle, ok?", and so on..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎