No announcement yet.

Lois being equal to Clark

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biggumt
    also she had no intentions on reigniting a relationship with clark. watch bride, she was letting clark go but clark kept persuing her.
    Um, yeah, of course Lana didn't seem to have intentions of getting back together with Clark. Well, until she got the Prometheus suit that is. In Bride, Lana didn't think she could be in a relationship with Clark unless she could assure him she would always be safe. As soon as she got her precious suit, however, Lana's opinion changed instantly. After Lana got her powers, it was she who was pursuing Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by ginevrakent
      Um, yeah, of course Lana didn't seem to have intentions of getting back together with Clark. Well, until she got the Prometheus suit that is. In Bride, Lana didn't think she could be in a relationship with Clark unless she could assure him she would always be safe. As soon as she got her precious suit, however, Lana's opinion changed instantly.
      IMO, it's the most realistic way a woman, no, a human would react to be in love with someone who is SO much more powerful than they are, with a combination of being kidnapped, almost murdered, and seeing death every other week. It just seems the most realistic to me....I mean I guess on a show about a super human being we don't really need much reality, but still.

Comment

Lois wanted equal rights in the relationship. Lana wanted to be Clark, hence the powers.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyjr123
          IMO, it's the most realistic way a woman, no, a human would react to be in love with someone who is SO much more powerful than they are, with a combination of being kidnapped, almost murdered, and seeing death every other week. It just seems the most realistic to me....I mean I guess on a show about a super human being we don't really need much reality, but still.
          I don't think it's realistic, so I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. It makes Lana look like she has the worst sense of self. I mean, to me it's like someone fearing death so much that they decide to become a vampire. It's unnatural and sad, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianna
            Lois wants to be an equal in her relationship with Clark as do all people.

Lana wanted to be an equal to Clark (and let's not forget she also literally stated she wanted to be an equal to Lex) because she felt inferior to them. Moreover, in order to reach that equality, Lana literally had to lose a huge part of her humanity by turning herself into (and I'm sorry about being so blunt here) but a super *freak*.

Lana left the show pretty unrecognizable from who she was in season 1 and I don't say that in a good way, and she did it so she could be on equal ground with two men in her life who really only brought her misery (though Clark out of no fault of his own).

Lois is who she is regardless of Clark but in their relationship/partnership they *are* equals and that's a fact. I don't, however, believe that Lois wants to be the Blur's equal and that is a huge distinction between her and Lana.
            ITA well said

Comment

Um, yeah, of course Lana didn't seem to have intentions of getting back together with Clark. Well, until she got the Prometheus suit that is. In Bride, Lana didn't think she could be in a relationship with Clark unless she could assure him she would always be safe. As soon as she got her precious suit, however, Lana's opinion changed instantly. After Lana got her powers, it was she who was pursuing Clark.
              LOL so it was clark or bust wasn't it? never mind all the trauma she went through her entire life. KK wanted lana to go this route and not have clark be end all, be all...it was about her being a stronger person because she didn't want to be a victim anymore. it was stated in an interview. so there you have it.

Comment

Lana saw herself as Clark's equal because she had the same abilities as he did. Lois sees herself as an equal because she believes in the causes Clark believes in and she lives a life of purpose just as Clark does, only she does it in her own unique way. In other words, Lana tried to be Clark to equal him. Lois is Clark's equal because she can handle Clark's life and live her own life without making Clark's life her own.
                Yeah, I don't think I could have phrased it any better. :-) Kudos!

Comment

LOL so it was clark or bust wasn't it? never mind all the trauma she went through her entire life. KK wanted lana to go this route and not have clark be end all, be all...it was about her being a stronger person because she didn't want to be a victim anymore. it was stated in an interview. so there you have it.
                  I never said Lana didn't want the suit for both of the reasons you stated. Both reasons are unhealthy, in my opinion, and they make Lana a sad character in my eyes. No one should have to change their human physiology to overcome emotional trauma. There are thousands of women (and men) who are victimized every day, but none of them are going to get a Prometheus suit to ease their pain or eliminate their fears. Lana decided she would change her body rather than seek maturity and personal growth, and she did this in part for Clark's sake, which is even more lamentable.

Comment

"I think Lois is such a strong woman that there are not many men that can equal her and can really deal with her. So it takes a Superman." --Superman Homepage, June 14, 2005

"When we were married, everyone asked me the same question. 'You're Superman. Why Lois Lane?' I knew she was the girl for me the moment I met her. Lois was brutally honest, curious as a cat, and you'd never get the last word in. She was the most human woman I'd ever met. But on the inside she was more super than I could ever be." -
                    Clark in Infinite Crisis #5

"And Lois is tough, smart, and independent. Clark can treat her as an equal."-
                    -Greg Rucka

"Lois is a mortal who has been chosen by a being who is essentially a god -- a being who could probably get any woman, mortal or immortal, he wanted. So Lois must bring something very important to the relationship."--
                    Mark Schultz, author of "Man of Steel"

"Tough, witty, warm, and delightfully vulnerable, through the course of four feature films Margot Kidder made Lois Lane a three-dimensional heroine in her own right. One that brought out the humanity in Superman but also proved she didn't need a Man of Steel to be complete. Instead, they were equals, and things haven't been the same--in a very good way--since."--
                    TV Guide article on Lois Lane, "Lois & Lois"

Powerful, powerful statements! And very insightful too. This is why Lois and Clark work together and why Lana and Clark never could. Lois on her own is Clark's equal simply because she innately believes in what Clark believes yet is always her own person and someone who matches Clark and can even surpass him in some ways (especially in the wit department! )

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

It's a huge difference with Lois and Lana on this one. Lois doesn't needs superpowers to be Clark equal and Lana does which she proved in Season 8 before she left the show.

I'm actually a Lana fan...I know shocker MOD EDIT but I didn't like much of her choices in Season 8, why couldn't she just be a strong woman on her own way? Her being basically, literally wanting to be Clark was ridiculous. Lois never wanted to be that and even in episode 8x19: Stiletto. Lois didn't have any type of abilities but she saved herself and also went on a mission to save Clark. When the man she beat up asked who she was, she thought for a minute and thought of the name "Stiletto" and she was very successful with it without a x-ray vision, heat vision, super-speed, super-strength etc so Lois is Clark equal, always have been since Season 4 but Clark and Lois couldn't see it in each other back then.

Another example can be Clark making love to Lana and him making love to Lois. Clark is afraid to get with Lana sexually when he has abilities, he think he would crush her. Their first time was when he didn't have any superpowers and then they tore the house down when they both had superpowers but when he goes back to simply being Clark he is afraid to do it cause he'd hurt her or something! WITH Lois however he is different, he trust in himself, remember this scene from episode 9x15: Escape

Chloe: Correct me if I'm wrong I seem to recall you having some kind of an concern about beds and non-powered people and what would happen in the beds with the non-powered people.

Clark: Lets just say that I'm in control or everything.

That was proven to be correct since he made love to Lois with his powers.

Another thing is that when Clark is with Lana he is less of a hero...yes he did some memorable things when she is around but being with her just makes him selfish and holds him back from who he is suppose to be. When Clark is with Lana he just wanted to be with her...it's sweet but he isn't much of a hero, he is just with Lana all day and comes to the rescue for small events. See when he's with Lana he says things like this...

Clark: What if the rest of the world didn't have to come first?
                      Lana: The world needs you Clark.
                      Clark: What about what we need

As anyone who is a Clana shipper that is a quote to smile about and say awwww....:love: they totally deserve to be together but as a person who knows what Clark can and will become, that is just a rolling eyes scene. Even Lana herself knew she holds him back from being how great he can be. I think the episode "Infamous" is the episode of The Blur first creation and that is the episode right after Lana leaves the show....so yeah I'll even get credit to Chloe. Chloe and Lois have a big part and help Clark being who he is today. Chloe did mention the cape and stuff and I remember Clark thinking it was ridiculous to have two secret separate identities but he took the advice and it's all working out.

Now when he's with Lois he is free to be himself while saving a lot of lives of times, she makes sure he embrace who he is a she accepts every part of him and no one can go saying "oh she only accepted the Blur because he was Clark" nope you can't because in Season 9 she was in a triangle with the same person Lol Clark and The Blur so that right there proves that she loves every part of him. The Farmboy side and the Superman side.

Another thing is the only time Clark is truly honest and playful when he's with Lana is when he is on Red K even though they had their beautiful loving moments when he was normal Clark but Red K is what makes him really take risk with Lana. Like their first kiss [that I loved by the way] is when Clark is with Red K and he finally takes a chance and when he reverts to himself he doesn't do it much. With Lois even because Clark and Lois happened she always brought out that side of Clark that the audience thought you could only see when Clark if affected with Red K, that side of Clark that you be like FINALLY! that side that takes risk.

So in this situation it's not similarities with Lana and Lois whatsoever and those are your reasons why Lois is more of Clark equal then Lana is.

So after the rant if you don't understand it, why is Lois, Clark equal and Lana's not? Lana has to be him(powers and all) in order to be a equal. Lois doesn't have to change and thing, she just have to be herself in order to be his equal.
                      Last edited by Atomic girl; 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

double standard
                        It would only be a double standard if Lois tired to alter her body in some way (as Lana did) in order to make herself Clark's physical equal. As it stands, that is not even remotely close to what happened.

Lois has never once asserted that she could ever be Clark's physical equal. She doesn't think she can save the world the way that he does. She has no desire to save the world as a superhero in the way that he does.

What she wants is emotional equality---something that ALL healthy relationships MUST have if they are going to last. The two people involved in the relationship must treat each other as partners and work together as a team. As with all relationsihps, both people bring something different to the table. Lois brings things to the relationship that are of value even though she may not be as physically strong as Clark. She is his emotional equal and partner but she is under no delusions that she can be his physical equal.

So no...it's not a double standard. The facts are entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by It's all about Faith
                          IMO it was about their relationship not his super hero stuff and anybody who is in a healthy normal adult loving relationship should be equal
                          As I see it not all people have the same comprehension/understanding of what it means to be equal. And not all relationships (in fact not any) are equal in the literal sense.

My husband is a fantastic mechanic and keeps our cars running. I know nothing about cars and don't want to. We are not equal. Does that make him better than me? Superior? It just means he fixes our cars. I don't. He's also a good engineer. But if his computer is acting up or the printer isn't working or our LAN is isn't working he asks me to fix it. He doesn't even try. I keep the Internet running in the house. Are we equal? No. I am better with computers than he despite his specialty. No two people have equal skills. It's the blend of differing skills that make for a really good partnership.

When people ask to be treated as equals what they are really asking for is respect. In a good healthypartnership the partners share a mutual respect for what they bring to the partnership. They also discuss what is going on in their lives. And they mutually agree who will do the dishes and who will change the oil in the car. This has nothing to do with superiority or equality. It has to do with respect. When you live alone (single) you are answerable to no one but yourself and do not need be. When you live with someone in a respectful caring way you tell them when you are getting home and call if your plans change - out of respect. When you live with someone in a partnership you share and discuss major decisions in your lives particularly when it affects the both of you.

My husband and I have a healthy respectful partnership. Are we equal? No. He stil fixes the cars and I fix his computer.

Comment

It's really not. Lana tried to be Clark's equal by trying to be Clark. Lois, on the other hand, merely wants to be a hero in her own right as a reporter and someone Clark can seek out to fully share his burdens.
                            Good answer and I couldn't say it better.

Comment

"When we were married, everyone asked me the same question. 'You're Superman. Why Lois Lane?' I knew she was the girl for me the moment I met her. Lois was brutally honest, curious as a cat, and you'd never get the last word in. She was the most human woman I'd ever met. But on the inside she was more super than I could ever be." - Clark in Infinite Crisis #5

I'll have to agree with Clark here. Lois is actually more super than him

MOD EDIT
                              Last edited by Vergon6; 11-25-2010, 04:00 AM. Reason: quoted post violated forum rules

Comment

Lois doesn't have to do anything besides being herself to be Clark's equal. Lana felt she had to have super powers to be equal.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎