How did Clark survive the explosion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could so use a poll!

Comment

Slade survived so why wouldn't Clark? The worst of the explosion probably wasn't where they were but enough so Clark could escape a damaged cage and heal if he was injured.

Comment

Originally posted by O'Neill
        Just another curveball the writer have thrown us this season.

I guess in the world of Smallville, 2+2=7
        That's because the other +3 happened in Offscreenville.

Comment

It's like this, the older Clark gets the more powerful he becomes (because he is always absorbing solar energy). Also the older he gets the more resistant he becomes to Kryptonite. It also depends on how much Kryptonite is around, even in the comics if exposed to a pretty good amount of green K he's still fairly invincible, and can use his other powers, it's just painful and he has to struggle.

In Kingdom Come Lex Luthor says that Superman is immune to Kryptonite because of so much solar energy absorption.

I took tonights episode as Clark being more resistance to green K. Of course the writers now have to make sure he doesn't collapse in the presence of a small green K pebble in the future, or then we have some continuity errors.

Comment

They could have easily shown us what happened or explained it. If time is factor, then how about taking the time to tell/show us events that make the episode make sense. Instead they spent too much time having Mera/AC tell Clark how amazing/important Lois is. I'm all for Clark trusting Lois but having everyone on the show telling him how great she is... well it didn't need to have so much focus. There were too many instances that should have been shown or told, that weren't. How did Clark and Slade escape the explosion? How did AC get caught? Why wasn't Clark with Mera when she found Slade/AC/Oliver? This episode just seemed to have too much plot holes.

Comment

Smallville directors are lazy enough to a point where they just give up explaining things, lazy dogs!

Comment

He's a Man OF STEEL!

Comment

Originally posted by Poyntz
                  It didnt look like the green k was effecting him much either. Whats up with that. one episode he's dying when green k is close by even a pebble.. and this one he's surrounded and he has great composure!! huh?
                  yea, it probably blew up and set him free...tho i agree......seem like the more hes around green k, the more he's resisting it....weird.

Comment

I thought those were the same electro-K bars like what Lionel used to imprison Clark in S7's "Traveler". The bars didn't emit Kryptonite radiation until electricity powered them, just like they did in this episode. They did say this was Luthorcorp tech that the government jacked, didn't they?

I'm assuming the self destruct knocked out the powers, restoring Clark's abilities so he could escape.

I have a theory about green K since it is supposed to be a radioactive material. There could be different grades of Kryptonite, ones that emit more deadly radiation to Clark than others, regardless of size. I also suspect those bars in the base weren't fully tested on a true Kryptonian before and weren't actually calibrated properly.

But yes, plot hole. I do blame the writing here because I felt most of the episode had really lame writing. The direction was okay, but the writing and dialogue killed me tonight.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly, but it seemed like it was just Green K Light, almost like it wasn't pure enough or close enough to really hurt him. At first you could tell it bothered him, but then after a few moments, he seemed to be okay. he said "i'm man and Steel." Once the explosions started, the power would have been knocked out and whatever helped emit the Kryptonite would have gotten turned off, like with the cell Lionel built. it seems that it was built the same way.

And come to think of it, as much as he has been exposed to it, it seems like his tolerance should be on the rise. The Kryptonite Cell & the Prometheus Suit especially are two instances that would have had to affect his tolerance on some level.

I'm chalking this one up to it being like the K-Cell Lionel had built... once the power got knocked off, which would have happened soon after an explosion or 2, he would be fine. It also seemed like he knew that was the case.

Comment

Zatanna cast a magic spell: tropsnart kralc otni elohtolp!

Last edited by Exedore; 11-22-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I may be way off on this but I think clark changed the bars because they said the material changes properties and it looked to me like clark said i'm man and steel and stepped closer to the bars and they changed properties as if they took on his "steel" properties don't know if that was the intention of the writers or not, or if it was to show clark again finally rescueing himself, using his head to outsmart the villan

Comment

Originally posted by shanemak
                            Yes it would be nice, but the writers' only have 45 minutes to pack material in. Obviously, some things have to get put on the back burner, or get cut out totally. They could've cut out useless dialogue and showed us this.
                            Heh, I bet they wish they did still have 45 minutes, now the typical episode is between 40-42 minutes.

Anyway, yeah this episode was sloppy as hell, maybe a bunch of things got cut... Or it was just more bad writing.. Can't blame TW for Richardson's bad acting, he's just a terrible actor.

As for the explosion, perhaps when he destroyed the console it slowly powered down the bars? Besides that, yeah he's certainly developed a resistance to Green Kryptonite at this point, at least I would hope considering how much of it he's been around since he was a kid. When's the last time they used the veins and gray hand effect? Besides that, it didn't seem to look all that powerful, especially if the intent of it was just containment and not outright killing.

Comment

Let's face it, Clark has become a lot more resistant towards Kryptonite. He did't lose his powers despite the Blue K tattoo. He got totally burned by Blue K flames but remained standing. He used his freeze breath despite being close to Green K flames.

Remember when Faora!Lois killed Davis and claimed "what kills us makes us stronger"?

Clark died again in Salvation/Lazarus and came back. Maybe it makes him stronger, too.

Comment

Surviving didn't bug me in and of itself. I mean inconsistentcy with kryptonite is something they've kept up from the beginning. Sometimes a necklace floors him, sometimes he can still use his powers, sometimes he can't.

What kind of irks me, is that he looked kind of fine, he was obviously okay enough to survive an explosion... so why didn't he just smash his way out of the cage and save the both of them?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎