Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pamela Jenkins give the Luthorcorp stock to Tess instead of Lex?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no explanation nor will there ever be. The writers don't bother with explanations when they pull retcons like these.

The best we can do is speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by protector91
      It's not like Smallville is the only show to ever do a retcon before. I give you exhibit A, Supernatural. They retconed the character of the Trickster in an arc-angel. I'm using Supernatural as an example because I know how much you like that show.
      That actually wasn't a retcon, but a revelation because everything we saw the Trickster do in his appearances prior to be revealed as Gabriel could only be done by an angel, which was especially evident in Mystery Spot where he had Dean killed & resurrected 100's of times & even used time travel to make Sam go back & relive that day over & over again. And besides, Eric Kripke had developed the series 5-10 years before it came on the air in 2005 and this is one of the things he had predetermined. If Supernatural retconned anything, I'd say it was the aspects of demons (in Phantom Traveler they exposed who was demon-possessed by saying "Christo" which they never did again after that with all those other demons that showed up).

But there are shows other than Smallville that have done significant retcons & I even saw some.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by mkn
      Noone knew who Tess was, Lionel knew what the granny was capable off, he could of had a death certificate for her, but had moral conscious and didn't kill her, and knew he could rid her off memories of him.
      I'm not sure Lionel knew. If he did, he could have taken Lex after Lex found out about Lionel & Morgan Edge killing his parents in season 3 to her to have his memories erased rather than putting Lex through that electroshock therapy procedure where it was a 50-50 shot of Lex becoming a vegetable.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Jennsen
      Okaaay... Looking at this stupid subplot and the stupid plotholes (I'm nort going to let it go, I'm obsessive like that!), I came up with another explanation for the whole thing. what if Pamela wasn't really Tess' mother? Just don't laugh at me, hear me out! We know from Lineage that Lionel cheated on Lillian repeatedly. We know Lex knew this and hated his father for it because he idolized his mother. We also know Lionel didn't want Pamela to have any influence on his son that would make him 'weak'. He sent Pamela away but he had no guarantee she would not attempt to contact Lex in some way. So he created the fake birth certificate for one of his kids (must have had many of them, lol) as evidence for Lex that Pamela was not really Lillian's friend, that she was just another one of Lionel's lovers (whom Lex hated), so she was not to be trusted. Lionel never showed the birth certificate to Lex because there was no need- Pamela never triend to contact Lex, so she presented no threat.

Whew. So how's that for a theory? Hey, if SV writers can do stupid and convoluted storylines, the fanwank should be appropriately stupid and convoluted!
      That actually sounds very good. In other words, Pamela's name on the birth certicate would be "insurance".
      Last edited by xrayvision; 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
        That actually sounds very good. In other words, Pamela's name on the birth certicate would be "insurance".
        Yay! Well, in this case I'm adopting this theory as my personal canon until the next retcon!

Comment

Okay I shall take a stab at this. Let's take the example of the actual illegitimate child story line that was shown to us on Smallville. Lucas Luthor. Lionel had an affair with the help, lots of affairs really. From some of these unions perhaps children were conceived. Example 1 Lucas Luthor. In this story line we learn that Lionel used the fiction he generated for the adoption of Clark Kent to also claim that his illegitimate child was put of for adoption which as we know lead crazy lady to Clark Kent claiming that he was her son.

Realizing that the woman was clearly unstable, which was evident by the fact she almost killed Lex because that is what crazy people do, he had her committed which she then got out of and tried to find the truth for herself. Now bring in the Nanny and her illegitimate child Tess Mercer, or Lutessa. Now in this scenario we have the nanny who is taking care of Lex and his sick mother. Along comes Lionel who gets a little insatiable and his wife is all like I am too week to bone cause I am like dying and stuff. Lionel is heavily backed up so he turns to the next available female and seduces her.

Even though the nanny in season 1 of Smallville claimed to hate Lionel it is easy to believe knowing how unbelievably manipulative Lionel Luthor could be, I believe he could have easily seduced her somehow. Having a girl was a huge soft spot for Lionel, the whole Daddy's little girl thing, just look at how great he was with the Emily Dinsmore clone. Clearly Lionel has shown he can have a soft spot for a little girl. Maybe Lionel pulled the reverse of Lex and made Pamela think there was no baby when there was, which Lex learned about and thought, hell I can do better, I will make someone think there is a baby when there isn't....oh wait...in your case you can convince her she is just fat...with a fake pregnancy the girl would have to be pretty stupid to think she was actually pregnant without gaining any pregnancy weight...where will I ever find someone like that...

Anyway that was a joke, in all seriousness knowing Lionel's track record with Lucas how he claimed he was put up for adoption and just died despite the fact he had a lock of his hair and a picture of him and said son in a locket, I would think he did the same thing. The major difference was that Pamela wasn't as crazy and emotionally unbalanced as Rachael, because of this Lionel didn't need to commit her. For all we know the stock she claimed she got from Lillian was really a pay off to keep quiet and get lost about the baby. More than likely Lionel didn't leave a paper trail to follow this time and Pamela just thought her kid was dead and treated Lex as her own son because of this.

Here is a crazy out of the blue theory. What if Lex was really Pamela's kid as well, depending on the age difference between Lex and Tess they could even be twins or something crazy like that. Lillian would never know Lex wasn't her son, or maybe she did and that is why she went crazy and killed her other baby Jullian, but didn't want Lex to be more messed up by admitting this fact to him before she died. Now that is what I call a crazy convoluted theory right there lol.
          Last edited by Drakaun; 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I dont care why.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakaun
              Realizing that the woman was clearly unstable, which was evident by the fact she almost killed Lex because that is what crazy people do, he had her committed which she then got out of and tried to find the truth for herself.
              We really don't know if Rachel Dunleavy was actually crazy when she was first committed because she attacked Lex after she got out & appeared in Lineage. For all we know, she could have been upset because she knew she had a baby & Lionel with all his money & power had the baby kept away from her & wiped away any record of Lucas' existence. When she actually attacked Lex after she got out & appeared in Lineage, then I think she really was crazy.

The major difference was that Pamela wasn't as crazy and emotionally unbalanced as Rachael, because of this Lionel didn't need to commit her. For all we know the stock she claimed she got from Lillian was really a pay off to keep quiet and get lost about the baby. More than likely Lionel didn't leave a paper trail to follow this time and Pamela just thought her kid was dead and treated Lex as her own son because of this.
              Again, I don't think we can say whether or not Rachael was crazy before she was committed especially after seeing what Lionel did to his own son Lex in Shattered & Asylum, who we know wasn't crazy but just being drugged & made to look that way.

Also, Pamela did get Luthorcorp stock from Lillian because it was revealed that Lex used his mother's stock to perform that leveraged buy-out, which he didn't have until Pamela showed up & gave it to him before she died. Lionel in Tempest even mentions the stock in that scene where he storms into the mansion & figures out how Lex was planning to fight him just as the tornadoes begin to hit.

Here is a crazy out of the blue theory. What if Lex was really Pamela's kid as well, depending on the age difference between Lex and Tess they could even be twins or something crazy like that. Lillian would never know Lex wasn't her son, or maybe she did and that is why she went crazy and killed her other baby Jullian, but didn't want Lex to be more messed up by admitting this fact to him before she died. Now that is what I call a crazy convoluted theory right there lol.
              I highly doubt anything like this will be revealed. Lillian's spirit, which we saw in Lexmas & Void, would have found out that she wasn't Lex's real mother if that was the case--the same way she knew what Lex's future holds---from the knowledge of the afterlife.

For a while, I thought if Tess would ever be revealed to be a Luthor that she may have been revealed to be Lex's twin sister, but they're not going that route, unless they show Tess digging in deeper & finding out that Pamela wasn't really her mother, but Lillian was and that's another thing I doubt they'll do.

Comment

You can't really give someone something, if you don't know where they are or what their name is. Let's go over some facts.

1) In this episode we learn that Tess' birthday is November 12, 1984 (making her about four years younger than Lex). But, when first confronted by this fact, she insists that this isn't her birthday. A statement that would suggest that Tess has grown up with a fake birthday. Why would she believe that her birthday was another other day than November 12?

2) When she confronts Lex in "Finale", Lex revealed that he had known about Tess all along.

3) When Lillian died, she left Pamela some stocks, that Pamela then left them to Lex, when she died.

4) When appearing in "Crush", she had been gone for nine years. We don't know what she actually did during those years. Lionel claimed that she had been in Saint Tropez, but we only have his word on that and Lionel is well-known for lying.

A lot has been left unaccounted for, but we could piece them together, by looking at Lionel's other illegitimate child Lucas. Like Tess, he was given up for adoption. Rachel Dunleavy claimed that Lionel had forced her to sign the adoption records. When talking to Lex, in the same episode, Lionel claimed that Lucas had died as a child.

Which then leaves us with the following possible scenario:

Lex Luthor's born around 1980, to Lionel and Lillian Luthor. Eventually, they hired Pamela Jenkins as his nanny. In early 1984, Lionel and Pamela slept together, which resulted in Pamela getting pregnant and giving birth at Metropolis General (according to the birth certificate) to Lutessa Lena Luthor. A few years later, Lionel abandoned Lutessa at St. Louise's Orphanage. What happened inbetween is unknown. Maybe Lionel didn't know he was the father until after a few years. Maybe he found it more difficult to keep it secret. Then, in early 1990, Lionel arranged for Lutessa to be adopted by the Mercer family in Louisiana.

Like with Rachel, Lionel could've forced Pamela to sign the adoption papers. That, combined with his treatment of Lex, made Pamela hate him. When Lillian died, she left Pamela some stocks. Possibly knowing about her child with Lionel and hoping that Pamela could find her and give Lutessa the stocks (her birthright). Pamela wanted to stay with Lex, if not take him with her to find his sister, but Lionel stopped her. Telling her to leave, while threatening Lex (and, possibly, their daughter too). Then Pamela spent the next nine years looking for Lutessa, but couldn't find her. Not only didn't she have a name to go on, but Lionel had altered the date of the girl's birth. Meaning that Pamela was engaged in a wild goose chase, for a girl born November 12 1984, while all official records about Tess Mercer listed another birthday.

When Pamela developed cancer, she seeked out Lex, to not only mend fences. But, also to inform him about his half-sister and begged him to continue the search. She left her stocks to Lex, in the hope that he'd eventually find and give the stocks to Lutessa. Lex continued the search and eventually found Tess Mercer. He gave her a job, but didn't tell her the truth of why he treated her like his own flesh and blood. Nor did he probably give her the stocks (after all, why should he give up power?).

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎