Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pamela Jenkins give the Luthorcorp stock to Tess instead of Lex?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Pamela Jenkins give the Luthorcorp stock to Tess instead of Lex?

Back in the season 1 episode Crush, Lex was visited by his childhood nanny, Pamela Jenkins, when she was dying & wanted to apologize for skipping out on him after his mother (Lillian Luthor) died. Lex didn't want to have anything to do with her until he found out from Lionel that she was dying from cancer. When he spoke to her in the hospital, she said that Lionel would disown Lex unless she got out of Lex's life. In Crush, it was also revealed that she retired from money Lionel got & had stocks of Luthorcorp that Lillian Luthor once owned. Those stocks were a significant part of the plot for the remainder of the season since she gave them to Lex, who used them for the leveraged buyout of the Luthorcorp plant in Smallville when Lionel in Tempest announced it would be shutting down. This was all done to force Lex to leave Smallville after Lionel had repeatedly tried to find out what Lex was using unaccounted money for (which is why Dominic Santori showed up in Reaper) after Lex's refusal to join him in Metropolis back in Stray.

Anyway, if Pamela knew she had a daughter that Lionel, who she hated based on her words in Crush, gave away, then why didn't she leave Lillian Luthor's shares of Luthorcorp stock to her? This doesn't make sense. Surely a dying mother who had her daughter ripped away from her would want to leave those shares to Tess after Tess had literally nothing.

I also wonder why someone who hated Lionel so much would have an affair with him after she was so close to Lillian. I could answer these questions by saying it's due to the retcon explanation of Tess being a Luthor--something I highly doubt they intended since bringing her on back in season 8. And we definitely know back in season 1 they never intended to bring in a character named Tess Mercer to replace Lex. But I do hope we get a good explanation of why Lex, who was already rich & was running a company, was given those shares of stock and not Pamela's own daughter. Yes, they were originally Lillian's shares, but once Pamela inherited them, she could have given them to Tess, her only child/daughter. They could explain it that Pamela gave them to Lex & told him about Tess, but that wouldn't make sense given Lex didn't try to find her like he did with Lucas. Lex had to have found out about Tess much much later--like around seasons 5-7 when he & Clark weren't friends anymore, otherwise Clark would have found out about her from Lex just like he found out about Julian & Lucas.

Originally posted by xrayvision
    Back in the season 1 episode Crush, Lex was visited by his childhood nanny, Pamela Jenkins, when she was dying & wanted to apologize for skipping out on him after his mother (Lillian Luthor) died. Lex didn't want to have anything to do with her until he found out from Lionel that she was dying from cancer. When he spoke to her in the hospital, she said that Lionel would disown Lex unless she got out of Lex's life. In Crush, it was also revealed that she retired from money Lionel got & had stocks of Luthorcorp that Lillian Luthor once owned. Those stocks were a significant part of the plot for the remainder of the season since she gave them to Lex, who used them for the leveraged buyout of the Luthorcorp plant in Smallville when Lionel in Tempest announced it would be shutting down. This was all done to force Lex to leave Smallville after Lionel had repeatedly tried to find out what Lex was using unaccounted money for (which is why Dominic Santori showed up in Reaper) after Lex's refusal to join him in Metropolis back in Stray.

Anyway, if Pamela knew she had a daughter that Lionel, who she hated based on her words in Crush, gave away, then why didn't she leave Lillian Luthor's shares of Luthorcorp stock to her? This doesn't make sense. Surely a dying mother who had her daughter ripped away from her would want to leave those shares to Tess after Tess had literally nothing.

I also wonder why someone who hated Lionel so much would have an affair with him after she was so close to Lillian. I could answer these questions by saying it's due to the retcon explanation of Tess being a Luthor--something I highly doubt they intended since bringing her on back in season 8. And we definitely know back in season 1 they never intended to bring in a character named Tess Mercer to replace Lex. But I do hope we get a good explanation of why Lex, who was already rich & was running a company, was given those shares of stock and not Pamela's own daughter. Yes, they were originally Lillian's shares, but once Pamela inherited them, she could have given them to Tess, her only child/daughter. They could explain it that Pamela gave them to Lex & told him about Tess, but that wouldn't make sense given Lex didn't try to find her like he did with Lucas. Lex had to have found out about Tess much much later--like around seasons 5-7 when he & Clark weren't friends anymore, otherwise Clark would have found out about her from Lex just like he found out about Julian & Lucas.

Because this isn't real life and Tess wasn't even on the writers radar back in Season 1...

Do you really think they are going to address that? I don't think so...

Comment

I stated that Tess wasn't on the radar so it's one of the ways I answered my own question. But I was hoping they could use the overall plot of the series to explain.

And if they brought Pamela Jenkins' name back into the story, I would think they would have worked it in a way that wouldn't contradict the events of the only episode she ever appeared in. Don't get me wrong though, I didn't expect a lot from the current writers after seeing what blunders they pulled off over the last 3-4 seasons. There were the days when the Luthor backstory was golden and was told perfectly without any such contradictions, but those days ended ever since the Veritas plot.

Comment

Perhaps Pamela Jenkins was told that Tess had died or something.

Comment

Maybe Lionel told Pamela that Tess had died or something? I dunno. It's just another unnecessary retcon. The Luthor history is seriously convoluted.

EDIT: I see David had the same idea.

Comment

^^Perhaps. But why would Pamela want to get rid of Tess & send her off to that orphanage? Are you guys suggesting that she was told Tess died before she was dropped off at the orphanage? If that happened, then Pamela would have attended the funeral & it's highly unlikely that it happened like that. If she was told Tess died, I'd guess that Lionel told her Tess died at the orphanage or after she left the orphanage. And if that's the explanation, I want them to also reveal why Pamela agreed to let Lionel take her to the orphanage. She could have just as easily taken Tess with her when she left Lex & Lionel after Lillian died.

Lionel's actions in Memoria & Lineage showed him to not want to burden Lillian with anything that would upset her. And of course he would want to hide his affairs to prevent Lillian from divorcing him. So I'm guessing when Lillian was sick & close to dying, just as Lionel was about to order Pamela to leave him & Lex, he took Tess to the orphanage without Pamela's consent so that when he did order her (Pamela) to leave, she couldn't use Tess as evidence of Lionel's affair with her. And later on, when Pamela left the Luthors & tried to get Tess back, she either tried but couldn't (since Granny didn't want to give her back) or Lionel made it look like Tess died. That's the best I could explain it.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking that she was told she died at or after the orphanage.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                Yeah I was thinking that she was told she died at or after the orphanage.
                I also wonder how Tess escaped the orphanage. And was the family that raised her named Mercer? I hope we get answers to these questions now that they decided to go a lot deeper into Tess' character.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision

Good point! But maybe Lionel made her believe their dauther/Tess had died either due to some kind of illness, accident or whatever reason he conjured up! On thing is for sure, knowing how Lionel was at the time, he had no interest that Pamela be reunited with Tess, and Tess get those shares! Imagine the scandal of an illigitimate heir coming to a board meeting, a daughter he fathered together with his son's nunny, who add to that was a close confidante of his late wife!
                  No he would do anything to make Pamela believe Tess is no longer an option for her, and as revenge Pamela gave her shares to Lex knowing full well those two didn't get along, and that sooner or later Lex would use those shares to hurt his father! Serving indirectly as her vengful hand of justice since, at this point dead due to cancer, no longer was able to perform the deed herself! Basicly Lex unknowingly let himself ne used!

Comment

Considering that Lex seemed to have no awareness that his beloved Nanny, who was with him up until the age of 13 when his mother died, had a daughter I think that Pamela didn't actualy get the chance to raise her daughter before Lionel sent her to the orphanage. Tess isn't that much younger than Lex so if his Nanny had a little girl a couple of years younger then he would have known about her. I think it's highly likely that she was told her baby died and Tess was raised by someone else until Lionel put her in the orphanage and then had her sent away to the Mercer family. That may be why Pamela and Lillian became close, two women who's lives had been ruined by Lionel Luthor

Comment

Originally posted by umm
                      Good point! But maybe Lionel made her believe their dauther/Tess had died either due to some kind of illness, accident or whatever reason he conjured up! On thing is for sure, knowing how Lionel was at the time, he had no interest that Pamela be reunited with Tess, and Tess get those shares! Imagine the scandal of an illigitimate heir coming to a board meeting, a daughter he fathered together with his son's nunny, who add to that was a close confidante of his late wife!
                      No he would do anything to make Pamela believe Tess is no longer an option for her, and as revenge Pamela gave her shares to Lex knowing full well those two didn't get along, and that sooner or later Lex would use those shares to hurt his father! Serving indirectly as her vengful hand of justice since, at this point dead due to cancer, no longer was able to perform the deed herself! Basicly Lex unknowingly let himself ne used!
                      Yeah, at the time, Lionel wanted to shape Lex into his true heir & wanted Lex to get everything (which he said himself in Suspect). So that meant that Tess & Lucas would have to remain unknown to the world. But due to Lex's friendship with Clark, he didn't want to leave Smallville & fought off his father's will to bring him back to Metropolis. And because of Lex's own interest in kryptonite which began in Craving when he first read Chloe's Torch article, it would take him deeper into his obsession and was another reason that kept him in Smallville. Lex's obsession in kryptonite along with his distrust of Lionel is what forced him to hide what he was doing (the creation of 33.1) and which is why Lionel resorted to such means, like sending Dominic Santori in Reaper to find out what Lex was spending money on, sending Carrie Castle in Drone to do a hit piece on Lex & ultimately shutting down the plant in Tempest. It's amazing how they tied all the events starting with Lionel's offer for Lex to join him in Metropolis back in Stray and his shutting down of the Smallville plant in Tempest to Pamela's visit in Crush and how the stocks she gave Lex was one of the first steps in the rise of Lex Luthor, since it was what enabled him to start Lexcorp, seen in season 2, which was reabsorbed into Luthorcorp once Lex was presumed dead as of the events between Exodus & Exile.

Comment

I think because the affair lead to a unwanted Child by Lionel, not Pamela he probably did her like Lucas mother, threaten her by the welbeing of the Child, confused and alone she went alone with giving up the child for adoption, and when she came down with cancer, knowing she dying, she didn't want to bring confusing to Tess, but to bring peace to the one child she did raise Lex.
                        That might be as close as they can get to explaning the situation, but there still a gap a mile wide. Maybe someone can email the writers and ask to solve the holes in the story line. I am sure they give us some reason behind this story line

Comment

Originally posted by godesssiri
                          Considering that Lex seemed to have no awareness that his beloved Nanny, who was with him up until the age of 13 when his mother died, had a daughter I think that Pamela didn't actualy get the chance to raise her daughter before Lionel sent her to the orphanage. Tess isn't that much younger than Lex so if his Nanny had a little girl a couple of years younger then he would have known about her. I think it's highly likely that she was told her baby died and Tess was raised by someone else until Lionel put her in the orphanage and then had her sent away to the Mercer family. That may be why Pamela and Lillian became close, two women who's lives had been ruined by Lionel Luthor
                          Known that his nanny had a daughter about his age, yes. But, most likely not, that they are related. If he knew, he most likely found out years later, through a DNA test.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                            Known that his nanny had a daughter about his age, yes. But, most likely not, that they are related. If he knew, he most likely found out years later, through a DNA test.
                            Well, he may not have known back then. I'm not sure exactly what the age difference is between Lex & Tess. But if it's only 2 years, then a 2 year old would likely not remember a baby that he may have seen once or twice.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by godesssiri
                            The only thing about this is that Tess did call Lionel daddy. So he must have been around long enough for her to know him as her father. And if there's only a 2 year age difference between Lex & Tess (there shouldn't be a significant once since Lex & Oliver are the same age and Tess isn't much younger than Oliver), then Lex as a 2 year old would probably not have remembered Tess.
                            Last edited by xrayvision; 11-13-2010, 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                              Perhaps Pamela Jenkins was told that Tess had died or something.
                              Exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎