Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The name "Lutessa"... Love the backstory, hate the name...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old thread but still interesting!

Originally posted by Wesley_Cramer
    Teresa or Theresa is another formal given name that is often shortened to Tess... Lutessa isn't even a real name... I thought maybe it was when I found some search results, but I don't think so...
    Hello everybody,

First of all, sorry if my english sounds a little weird. (I'm french)

Personally, I love the first name Lutessa and knowing Lionel Luthor character's psychology, this name does have a sense! It's not a random name just made to stick to the LL's rule!
    Lionel Luthor is a man who loves Art, classical music and CULTURE in general.

- He named LEX after ALEXANDER the Great (= ancient Greece, name of a great king).

- LUCAS is the latin form of the greek name LOUKAS which means "the bringer of the light".

- JULIAN is named after ...him! = JULES or JULIUS (Caesar) = IMPERATOR = Jove/Jupiter's son. A lot of people ask "why Julian, this is not a LL name?" well, we know Julian was his beloved son, a little prince and for him the last chance to have a son who is not a disappointment, a true Luthor! So let's say it's a GOOD exception, he would have probably been his "equal" and Lionel would have make sure that it happen!

-LUTESSA comes from the roman LUTETIA or the french LUTECE. It was the name of PARIS in the pre-Roman period. Again linked to Julius Caesar who captured the town in 52 BC... but what is interesting in this name is its eponymy... there is a root for the word "mud" linked to the construction of the town with swamps all around but we can also assume that this name Lutessa evokes Lionel's rejection of Tess since the beginning = mud, swamps and so on... and he said himself that he abandoned her because she was not good enough and too weak to be a Luthor!

Through all these names, you can see Lionel's passion for ancient culture and power. Simply notice that LIONEL comes from the latin LEO which means "lion" so... On the contrary, LILIAN comes from the latin LILIUM which means "lily" the emblem flower of the kings.

So, I hope you understood my english and maybe my post can explain another point of view!
    Last edited by Xtina52; 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎