Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The name "Lutessa"... Love the backstory, hate the name...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name "Lutessa"... Love the backstory, hate the name...

Well first off... I loved the episode "Abandoned"... I love the way everything was handled thus far with Tess... HOWEVER, I hate the name Lutessa... weird weird name that doesn't even sound real...

I would have prefered that her original first name be "Lena" and her middle name be "Contessa" and then the last name would, of course, be "Luthor... It still gives you the double L name (Lex Luthor, Lionel Luthor, Lillian Luthor, Lucas Luthor, etc.) it gives are more plausable name than Lutesse which sounds like they just added a "L-sound" to the beginning of Tess to "make it fit" the naming convention.

BUT here is another reason I think her middle name should have been Contessa... In one incarnation in the comics, Lena's mother was named Contessa Erica Del Portenza... it would have been a nice homage to the comics. I could see flash backs where during her time with the Luthor's where she is called by her middle name (or it could even be a nickname) Contessa... it is both a name and traditionally was used to refer to Italian countesses (part of royal families)... so it would be almost a fancier way of saying "princess" as a nickname or term of endearment...

If Lionel had actually been in the episode (not just a stand in), his last words to her could have been, "Farewell, my darling little Contessa..." This would prompt for her adopting Tess as her name... or Granny renaming her or whatever...

sounds like a sleep aid

Comment

Originally posted by Cloisdestined
      sounds like a sleep aid

Didn't think of that... Too bad there wasn't a "Lunesta" (the sleep medication) during the episode... that would have been funny.

Comment

Yeah I kind of wish her first name had been Lena too. I would have preferred her to be Mercy Graves, but I will take this and was expecting this at this point. But I don't like that first name lol.

And yeah Contessa as a middle name would be a nice nod.

Comment

Yeah, what I'm really wanting to know is if Lex knew?

Comment

Originally posted by JNottle
            Yeah, what I'm really wanting to know is if Lex knew?
            That would certainly make things interesting if he did know. I know in Season 8 they sort of hinted at a past romance between Lex and Tess. But perhaps it actually meant an excessive admiration/attachment of Tess to Lex.

Comment

I'm leaning towards Lex's knowing because she was his protegé and she became acting CEO when Lex "died" in Arctic.

Maybe there was something in Lionel's testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                Yeah I kind of wish her first name had been Lena too. I would have preferred her to be Mercy Graves, but I will take this and was expecting this at this point. But I don't like that first name lol.

And yeah Contessa as a middle name would be a nice nod.
                Exactly. Her name should have just been Lena Contessa Luthor. They were trying to force the double-l there a little too much with the Lutessa thing IMO when they really didn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                  I'm leaning towards Lex's knowing because she was his protegé and she became acting CEO when Lex "died" in Arctic.

Maybe there was something in Lionel's testament.
                  That's true. He must have known something.

----- Added 23 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by morrigan01
                  Exactly. Her name should have just been Lena Contessa Luthor. They were trying to force the double-l there a little too much with the Lutessa thing IMO when they really didn't have to.
                  I agree.
                  Last edited by Vergon6; 11-13-2010, 03:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley_Cramer
                    Well first off... I loved the episode "Abandoned"... I love the way everything was handled thus far with Tess... HOWEVER, I hate the name Lutessa... weird weird name that doesn't even sound real...

I would have prefered that her original first name be "Lena" and her middle name be "Contessa" and then the last name would, of course, be "Luthor... It still gives you the double L name (Lex Luthor, Lionel Luthor, Lillian Luthor, Lucas Luthor, etc.) it gives are more plausable name than Lutesse which sounds like they just added a "L-sound" to the beginning of Tess to "make it fit" the naming convention.

BUT here is another reason I think her middle name should have been Contessa... In one incarnation in the comics, Lena's mother was named Contessa Erica Del Portenza... it would have been a nice homage to the comics. I could see flash backs where during her time with the Luthor's where she is called by her middle name (or it could even be a nickname) Contessa... it is both a name and traditionally was used to refer to Italian countesses (part of royal families)... so it would be almost a fancier way of saying "princess" as a nickname or term of endearment...

If Lionel had actually been in the episode (not just a stand in), his last words to her could have been, "Farewell, my darling little Contessa..." This would prompt for her adopting Tess as her name... or Granny renaming her or whatever...
                    That was another Lena, who was Lex Luthor's daugther (named after his sister).
                    I don't mind her being Lutessa Lena Luthor. Because she'll probably still be called "Tess" (though, some do go by their middle name. So, she could eventually start calling herself "Lena").

Comment

Didn't like the name either. Seems like they were searching for a name starting with L and featuring "Tess" in it.

Either way, she is still Tess to me.

Comment

Yeah that was odd and unnecessary.

So with Lena being her middle name I have to ask: since James was Jimmy's middlename and that was their (stupid) reason why he was supposedly not, you know ()....does this mean Tess isn't the real Lena and there's another one out there whose first name is Lena?

Comment

^^Oh, don't go there!

Seriously, I didn't know a Lena Luthor existed. Despite of what happened in Abandoned, my money is on Tess dying at some point this season. Maybe killed by the Lex clone.

Comment

Lex had to know. I'm guessing her being Lionel's daughter was the reason Lex trusted her with the company.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                              That was another Lena, who was Lex Luthor's daugther (named after his sister)

I wasn't trying to line up with any particular version of the character... I was saying it would have been a nice homage to the character. As with most Smallville characters taken from the official DC comics universe, she obviously has a very different back story than any version of Lena in the comics (be it sister, daughter, etc.)... so giving her the middle name Contessa would serve as a little "easter egg" to comic book fans and would also would serve the function of putting the "Tess" in our new Lena Luthor...

But alas the writers/producers didn't ask my opinion before hand...

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Exedore
                              Yeah that was odd and unnecessary.

So with Lena being her middle name I have to ask: since James was Jimmy's middlename and that was their (stupid) reason why he was supposedly not, you know ()....does this mean Tess isn't the real Lena and there's another one out there whose first name is Lena?

Names must be in short supply in Smallville universe... 2 girls named Cat Grant, 2 guys named Jimmy Olsen (granted they are brothers), etc.
                              Last edited by Wesley_Cramer; 11-13-2010, 04:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎