Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is blue Kryptonite radient? or a contact only? make up your mind writers!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Blue K is in the water, wouldn't it also be in the soil? It was a good episode, but the writers have no idea what they are doing with Kryptonite which is just sad for a show about Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandAtom
      It might be that the the more Blue K that is present, the stronger the effect on Clark becomes. In "Blue," the small ring worked because Clark was touching it. In this episode, since the entire town had been eating it, it perspired through their bodies, affecting Clark.

It's a long stretch of a theory or what is an obvious plothole, but I think it might work.
      Yeah. I personnally just ignore "Blue" (like much of S7) because it was such a horrible episode from start to finish. Just the premise of Lara giving a blue k ring to Clark because it was "a kryptonian tradition" was such a long shot. And Zor-el expected that would happen?!

How do they get kryptonite before the planet has exploded?? Maybe I can forgive that but Zor-el cannot have anticipated on the fact that maybe the minute Clark heard about the rock being from Krypton he maybe would not wear it.

And then Clark couldn't get the ring off?? And Lara and Kara somehow cannot defeat Zor-el?? Sorry I personnally will stick to Alia's blue kryptonite and the season finale kryptonite that clearly removed their powers because their punches weren't super. It has and area of effect like green k for me anyways.

Comment

My thoughts on the subject.

One: SV has played fast and loose w/all versions of K over the years. Examples: sometimes being close to Green-K makes Clark feel great pain, lessens his powers and of course more than likely will kill him. Other times its had effects simliar to Blue-K, see "Nemesis" (6.19). And almost everything in between. Ten years on I'm used to it.

Two: SV is hardly unique in this. As a huge Superman fan I know that kryptonite has been changed and altered all the time. The comics, TV shows, movies, etc., they have all done it over the decades. It's kind of like warp speed in Star Trek- how fast is warp speed?- as fast as needed by the plot.

Three: now for Blue-K on SV. It does seem when it was first introduced contact was necessary for it to work (see "Blue" 7.8) but that seems to have changed. Clearly by "Savior" (9.1) it seems that Blue-K works by proximity, like Green-K. Also given the fact that in both "Lazarus" and "Harvest" Clark, while being exposed to Blue-K, survives situations that would have killed a normal human (a fall from several stories and being dumped on by fire) I think it's safe to assume that Blue-K suppress but doesn't fully strip a Kryptonian of the abilities they gain from a yellow sun. Perhaps that suppression is 99.9% but that .1%, that speck, was enough to allow Clark survive what happened to him at the end/beginning of "Salvation" (9.22)-"Lazarus" and "Harvest."

Four: now for how Blue-K works in "Harvest." The Villiage O'Serial Killers had been drinking water and presumably eating food that was laced w/the stuff for years. It had built up in their systems. One of the results was that they had great health. Lex Luthor had a similar experence with Green-K. After being exposed to normal K as a child his hair fell out but he also stated several times during the early seasons that he was almost never sick. Another result was that they had consumed so much Blue-K that they were practically walking generators of the stuff. This was shown when the sheriff got close to Clark. The sheriff, just being that close to Clark suppressed his abilities. Once he got to the village each person's Blue-K effect reinforced the others creating a field of much greater strength. This explains why in the house surrounded by all sides Clark, although not close to any single villager, was still suppressed. Once he was mortally wounded, taken away from the village and left alone (after being buried) Clark was far enough way from the Blue-K effect that he was able to regain nearly full use of his powers.

Some have stated that since the villagers had been using Blue-K tainted water that the very ground of the village should have the same Blue-K effect and thus Clark shouldn't have been able to recover. I don't think so. The simplest answer is that- yes perhaps the ground had some taint but not nearly enough to effect Clark in any serious way. After all Smallville has been ground zero for TWO full scale metor strikes, the entire area has been covered with Green-K yet Clark doesn't almost die everytime he walks out the door. Also the metor strike near the village was an insignificant amount compared to the TONS of Green-K that struck Smallville. Again I see no problem with Clark recovering once the villagers moved away.

Five: all in all, as in any work of fiction where an alien can shoot heat beams out of his eyes, we have to realize that none of this would really work. That stated I don't see anything out of bounds with the way SV has used Blue-K in the series and specifically in "Harvest." Maybe it's just all my years of reading comic books but I just don't see any real problem. Anyway- that's my take.

(285)
        Last edited by badraven; 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpitCurl
          I think at some point you have to accept that these are regular people who's jobs are writers -- they're not geniuses -- and that deadlines necessitate the need to finish a story w/o maybe being able to work through every conceivable plot hole.

For instance, if blue k well-water was used on their crops and fields, the soil would be saturated w/it, which means Clark should've been surrounded by it when buried alive; it wouldn't just be "in the people" (did you see any modern plumbing? Where do you think "the people's" waste went -- into the ground), so his escape should've been impossible. But you can't have Clark die again, so it is what it is.

True but you would hope they were at least Superman fans growing up. You reach a point with science fiction where you cross the line of being realistic and being enjoyable to watch and make a story about.

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by badraven
          My thoughts on the subject.

One: SV has played fast and loose w/all versions of K over the years. Examples: sometimes being close to Green-K makes Clark feel great pain, lessens his powers and of course more than likely will kill him. Other times its had effects simliar to Blue-K, see "Nemesis" (6.19). And almost everything in between. Ten years on I'm used to it.

Two: SV is hardly unique in this. As a huge Superman fan I know that kryptonite has been changed and altered all the time. The comics, TV shows, movies, etc., they have all done it over the decades. It's kind of like warp speed in Star Trek- how fast is warp speed?- as fast as needed by the plot.

Three: now for Blue-K on SV. It does seem when it was first introduced contact was necessary for it to work (see "Blue" 7.8) but that seems to have changed. Clearly by "Savior" (9.1) it seems that Blue-K works by proximity, like Green-K. Also given the fact that in both "Lazarus" and "Harvest" Clark, while being exposed to Blue-K, survives situations that would have killed a normal human (a fall from several stories and being dumped on by fire) I think it's safe to assume that Blue-K suppress but doesn't fully strip a Kryptonian of the abilities they gain from a yellow sun. Perhaps that suppression is 99.9% but that .1%, that speck, was enough to allow Clark survive what happened to him at the end/beginning of "Salvation" (9.22)-"Lazarus" and "Harvest."

Four: now for how Blue-K works in "Harvest." The Villiage O'Serial Killers had been drinking water and presumably eating food that was laced w/the stuff for years. It had built up in their systems. One of the results was that they had great health. Lex Luthor had a similar experence with Green-K. After being exposed to normal K as a child his hair fell out but he also stated several times during the early seasons that he was almost never sick. Another result was that they had consumed so much Blue-K that they were practically walking generators of the stuff. This was shown when the sheriff got close to Clark. The sheriff, just being that close to Clark suppressed his abilities. Once he got to the village each person's Blue-K effect reinforced the others creating a field of much greater strength. This explains why in the house surrounded by all sides Clark, although not close to any single villager, was still suppressed. Once he was mortally wounded, taken away from the village and left alone (after being buried) Clark was far enough way from the Blue-K effect that he was able to regain nearly full use of his powers.

Some have stated that since the villagers had been using Blue-K tainted water that the very ground of the village should have the same Blue-K effect and thus Clark shouldn't have been able to recover. I don't think so. The simplest answer is that- yes perhaps the ground had some taint but not nearly enough to effect Clark in any serious way. After all Smallville has been ground zero for TWO full scale metor strikes, the entire area has been covered with Green-K yet Clark doesn't almost die everytime he walks out the door. Also the metor strike near the village was an insignificant amount compared to the TONS of Green-K that struck Smallville. Again I see no problem with Clark recovering once the villagers moved away.

Five: all in all, as in any work of fiction where an alien can shoot heat beams out of his eyes, we have to realize that none of this would really work. That stated I don't see anything out of bounds with the way SV has used Blue-K in the series and specifically in "Harvest." Maybe it's just all my years of reading comic books but I just don't see any real problem. Anyway- that's my take.

(285)

Good read!

Maybe its this...Ok you can look up like wiki for example which tells that supermans flight for example is just the sheer power of his will. Thinkin like a psychokenesis thing. But as for him taking the fall or the burn. Krypton orbited a much larger star then ours. So it would be like training for the olympics on jupiter then coming back to earth. One really would be Superman compared to others. However the fact he cuts so easily kinda throws this theory out the window (think of Alia's ninja star she threw in the barn,or cutting his hand putting the tire back in the trunk when the cop walked up) This WOULD have been a cool thing they could have implemented but they are past that if you ask me.
          Last edited by Ressurrector; 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think that the amount of Blue K radiation that the villagers radiated was directly proportionate to the amount of Blue K in their systems.

It is possible that they will no longer pose a threat to Clark once have been away from the tainted water for a while.

As to the cauldron of blue flaming water/oil that was dumped on Clark... I don't recall it being explicitly stated in the episode that the liquid was in fact laced with "well water" so the fact that the fire was blue may have simply been through the addition by the townsfolk of calcium chloride in order to make the fire look "special".

Comment

Lame idea

Originally posted by Ressurrector
              And what now? A whole freakin village of people that can kill clark just by standing close and shooting him? rofl He needs to nuke this site from orbit with his heat vision.
              Agreed. This was an absolutely lame idea. I will never accept that there's an entire population of country bumpkins that can take out Superman better than any of his super villains.

Comment

Originally posted by Ressurrector
                True but you would hope they were at least Superman fans growing up. You reach a point with science fiction where you cross the line of being realistic and being enjoyable to watch and make a story about.
                I think you're right. I really don't feel that the SV writers are Superman fans. Actually, they feel more like anti-Superman fans. Otherwise, why would they make him such a Nancy boy in the early seasons, make up reasons why he can't use his powers all the time, and then have him tortured or humiliated without ever getting any payback?

It's like Bryan Singer said he was a Superman fan, but no true Superman fan would make a crappy movie like he did.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎