Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writers continue to denigrate Superman

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week we saw future Clark subduing a nuclear reaction so I think the it's pretty much a guarantee that SV is on the right track about his powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
      I think being Superman is about both his powers and what he stands for. If he didn't have superpowers than he wouldn't be Superman.
      He was Superman in Mortal, IMO, (season 5), and he was completely powerless. Being powerless has never made him any less heroic in this show, or even in the Comics. I can remember plenty of moments, in the Comics, when he lost his powers and he was still Superman in every way that counts.

Comment

In Mortal he was Clark Kent. Without his powers he is a regular guy just trying to do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingrid
          Why does everyone have to be less than amazing in order for Superman to be amazing? I like having a variety of heroes and villains with a varieties of powers and abilities.
          This Ingrid. Plus to me, having a cadre of awesome heroes and villains IMO could or should make him more amazing, when he fully becomes Superman with the flying and powers no one else can tough, and is one day seen as the Greatest Hero ever.

Originally posted by jon-el87
          It's not a contest. And while one man can make a diffrence, not even Superman can be in two places at once. So, really, when Superman's off fighting Bizarro, Brainiac, Lex, Parasite, etc, etc, etc... Who'll be there to defend.. etc, etc, etc.
          This too jon-el. Not a competition, plus there is the whole "beacon" or "symbol" thing. Something I read in a review about Superman Returns that was one of the few things I liked in the movie, was the "world doesn't need Superman" article, the idea that there is a hero in everyone who'll stop that mugger or whatever, being inspired to do so by Superman. Yes it's great he saves the day but we also (via him) have learned how to save ourselves. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
            As much as I love what is happening between Lois and Clark it just gripes me to see the constant denigration of the Man of Steel. Lois is in Africa and realizes CK is the Blur and what happens? She has an encounter with an eternal being that is ready to be reincarnated to meet up with his wife of previous carnations. Now we see Lois turning into some kind of a supernatural, mythological being who has the power to tie Clark up and supposedly kill him if Oliver had not rescued him. Why can't these writers be enamored with Superman and stop diluting his unique abilities by bringing in other "beings" who can fly, live forever and have stories perhaps more interesting than Supermans? The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing and the main thing is Superman. We don't need Freaks of the Week, or intergalactic freaks or anything other than a "strange visitor from an unknown planet with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man. SUPERMAN; who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands and who disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper fight the never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way". He is unique, he is amazing and we don't need Isis, or Hawkman or Green Arrow or any of these other entities that compete with Superman.
            I do agree with this. This is the last season, and I don't like others getting powers, or Green Arrow and Supergirl. What about Clark? What's he doing? Why not see Lois and Clark investigate criminals together and catch them? That's what I love most about Superman. I guess it's implied they're doing this?

However, next week looks interesting.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by kernel_thai
            Isis = goddess Clark = mortal He's lucky she didnt turn him into a scarab. Isis is the one who got the short shift here. Trapped in the neckless? She didnt seem trapped. And it didnt take much to put her back. If I were her I would have flushed the thing at the first opportunity.
            I never understood what she was doing with it in the first place, how it came up missing, or why she held it up on the roof like that.
            Last edited by curiosity; 10-23-2010, 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
              In Mortal he was Clark Kent. Without his powers he is a regular guy just trying to do the right thing.

You've got it Completely and Utterly wrong here mate, sorry to break it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs_TomWelling
                What's wrong with random freaks that grace the show every now and then? Even the comics have them.
                I hate comic books. I'm a Superman fan. Don't care about Isis or Hawkman. Superman is a one of a kind super being. With Smallville even Lois flies but Clark remains less than super. The writers are not Superman fans. They need others as crutches. This season is supposed to be about him finally emerging as the Man of Steel. Instead Lois is flying and tying him down into a helpless victim. Only Oliver was able to save him. They should have had Welling laying there singing "Somebody Saaaaaave Me"!

Comment

I don't understand your issue? These superheroes have existed alongside Superman for decades. It's not like TPTB just invented them to "dilute" and "denigrate" Superman. Having these others is good for Clark, because it means he's not alone because that would just suck to be him then.
                  His growth would be a hell of a lot slower IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily83
                    I don't understand your issue? These superheroes have existed alongside Superman for decades. It's not like TPTB just invented them to "dilute" and "denigrate" Superman. Having these others is good for Clark, because it means he's not alone because that would just suck to be him then.
                    His growth would be a hell of a lot slower IMO.
                    I grew up with George Reeves as Superman on TV. I read the comics but loved the story of a supernatural being who was among us but not one of us. I don't want more like him I just want him. We don't need the others. It's all science fiction but it's less believable when you have a plethora of aliens and freaks instead of focusing on the one super being. I suppose it boils down to monotheism versus polytheism.

Comment

... But Oliver Queen is neither an alien or a freak, just a guy who dresses up in leather and fights crime (like Batman).

GA is the only other 'hero' in Smallville that is regular enough to warrant that view and he just doesn't fit.

How exactly does it 'boil down to' monotheism vs. polytheism? Do you know what the -theism suffix means and that this is not a show about gods or are you just referring to the idea behind them being similar to wanting one hero versus two or three?

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
                        I hate comic books. I'm a Superman fan. Don't care about Isis or Hawkman. Superman is a one of a kind super being. With Smallville even Lois flies but Clark remains less than super. The writers are not Superman fans. They need others as crutches. This season is supposed to be about him finally emerging as the Man of Steel. Instead Lois is flying and tying him down into a helpless victim. Only Oliver was able to save him. They should have had Welling laying there singing "Somebody Saaaaaave Me"!
                        Well as a HUGE comic book fan and a HUGE Superman fan I have to disagree with your take. Superman isn't and in his best moments rarely is, a one man show. He is a first among equals but he isn't alone. He almost always has people helping him, from small ways to big ways. SV is no different in that.

One of the great challenges writting Superman, and we must remember that Clark isn't Superman yet, is how to write stories that still give Supes a run for his money. As a big fan of the 'Justice League' animated series a few years back one of my big problems I had with the show was how de-powered they made Superman. That was their answer. SV is dealing with Clark that hasn't yet gained complete control over his ablities and in this episode he was going up against an adversary that was using magic, one of only two weakness he has. Further complicating matters Isis was using Lois as her vessel and Clark didn't want to hurt Lois. But at the end of the day Clark, with a little help from his fellow superhero and friend Green Arrow, put Isis down and saved the world. I don't see the problem.

Comment

I agree. If I'm watching a show about the Justice League I assume many people will have many powers. If I'm watching Smallville I don't want to see every actor and their mother fly before Clark is actually doing it. That should be his most awesome ability when he gains it and not an ability that other characters have had time after time. I don't want to see Clark truly fly for the first time only to bump into multiple people. "Pardon me, excuse me, sorry to bump into you but I finally figured out how to fly and if you could just move a little to the left I can get around you. Yeah, Superman here."

Comment

Even though Clark isn't yet Superman I can see some similarities to one of my favourite Superman comics "All-Star Superman" where Supes is more than just his strength and ability to fly.

Granted he becomes more powerful than ever (immune to kryptonite even) but he always tries to talk the villains out of their plans. He does all this even after the villains bash him around (they literally punch him to the moon hard enough that it starts to crack in two!)

But comparing to Smallville, "All-Stars" Superman is also highly intellectual and curious about the world around him (I swear that books Fortress of Solitude is a museum for time and creation themselves!) but I think that comes with age so I forgive Smallville that.

But Superman will fight if forced to and considering the fights we have seen in Smallville I don't think Clark gets enough of those. In filler episodes there's usually some dead air (radio talk but you get the picture) and I think that time could be given to Clark and a few super punches more! We know he is powerful but it would be nice for them to really remind us with some really cool feats of strength and abilities.

Comment

Series isn't about Superman. It's about Clark Kent with 30 seconds of superman in the finale. That's what's been happening for the past 9 seasons. Get used to it.

Comment

Clark defeats a God (without hurting her) and saves the world from hell unleashed. Then he does the stand-up thing re. Lois, and makes her ecstatically happy. All in his humble, charming, self-assured new Supermanly way.

And the writers are denigrating Superman?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎