No announcement yet.

Question about Lana

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Lana

Let me start by saying that I am soooooo glad that she's gone, good riddance.

Anyway, I was thinking, how come we haven't heard anything about her. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she still is wearing that superpowered suit. Obvioulsy she cant be in Metropolis because of the "repel clark" mechanism of the suit, but why has there not even been a reference? I assume she is helping people somewhere in the world.

They didn`t get rid of her,she (the actress) left on her own.

To answer the question,
    TPTB would probably don`t want to to distract the remaining fans and take the focus out of the current leading lady/relationship.
    Last edited by Bingo; 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I think that there's two parts to this one.
      First, it's hard to have Lana & Clark be Romeo & Juliette when he's now madly in love with Lois.
      Secondly and more importantly, the writers wrote themselves in a corner with Lana. Truthfully, with her kryptonite powers she could easily have taken care of all the Kandorians on her own. So they chose to forget her.

Comment

Because Kristin chose not to come back. That's another reason. The way Lana's arc ended badly (season 8) that's her last straw with the show.

Comment

I think if they told us she was out of the power suit it would defeat the entire purpose of her arc in S8, which is unfortunate, because it makes no sense for her to be in that ridiculous suit.

Comment

At this point I don't even know if Clark remembers who she is, it seems the second she left he forgot she existed as did the rest of the show. Now they're all 'Lana... uhmmm... who is that?' I'd rather them mention her at least once, I want to know that the suit is gone and she's living a happy life. I like her. Just not with Clark.

Comment

The poster never said they got rid of her

As for the rest. It will probably never be brought up again. So I'm just going to think what I want. She got rid of the suit and is happily with the real pete somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mirandalynn22
                At this point I don't even know if Clark remembers who she is, it seems the second she left he forgot she existed as did the rest of the show. Now they're all 'Lana... uhmmm... who is that?' I'd rather them mention her at least once, I want to know that the suit is gone and she's living a happy life. I like her. Just not with Clark.
                Interesting note. Looking at her appearances (and mentions) on the Smallville wiki, Lana is mentioned (after her departure) in "Infamous", "Turbulence" and "Stiletto" (season 8). After that, she's neither seen or mentioned until "Homecoming" (season 10), where Clark has a flashback to the pilot episode and Lois finds a name tag for Lana Lang. She's mentioned in "Icarus" and "Prophecy". Don't remember by whom in "Icarus", but it's Toyman (not Clark) who mentions her in "Prophecy". She appears in the season 10 finale, as part of the trials montage and Lex having his memories messed with. Both featured plenty of characters. In the trials flashbacks we saw one-shots like Gary Watts (the baddie from "Obscura"), Kyla Willowbrook, Mikhail Mxyzptlk and Titan.

Queen Victoria mourned her husband for 40 years. Despite the young Clark frequently presenting Lana as this big love of his life, he quickly forgot about her, after she departed his life. Lana was a girl with a fear of abandonment (sources: "Scare", "Void"). In their last scene together, Clark was trying to comfort her and ensure her that he'd make sure that she could still be part of his life (yet, he doesn't attempt to acquire blue K, so that he can. Or take her to the Fortress. Or use the Legion ring and prevent the whole thing). She says "I love you" twice, he doesn't do it, until after she's left. In some ways, he might have been with her, more out a desire to protect her from people leaving her (heck, in "Rosetta", he effectively blackmails Chloe into forgiving Lana, so that Lana doesn't lose a friend) and him blaming himself for the death of her parents, than actual love. With Lana having left Smallville for good, he was no longer forced to act out such duties (along with her having powers of her own, he no longer had to constantly come to her rescue; protecting the daughter of Lewis and Laura Lang, in an attempt to make up for their deaths), especially as leaving the town that brought her so much pain was probably good for her (allowing her to finally move on). Allowing him to move on, finding real romantic happiness, with another woman. And, after a few weeks, the only time that Lana comes back into his mind, is when he visits his old high school (a place full of memories; When he enters the Torch, he also has a flashback to Chloe and the first time he saw the Wall of Weird. So, the memory of Lana isn't a special moment, but one of many memories that come over him, when he's at the school). In an episode, where Clark learns to stop dwelling on the past and not fear the future.

Comment

I kinda disagree with that analysis up above.

My take on the Clark and Lana relationship:

I think he did honestly have a crush on her once upon a time when he was like 10 years old. and it was an innocent kind of love for her.
                  But over time, that became somewhat distorted, because he subconsciously started seeing her as this symbol of normality and acceptance rather than somebody he just happened to crush on hardcore. He saw the way that Lana *seemed*, (emphasis on the seemed part), to be accepted by most cliques and groups in high school. She was a popular girl who was liked by everyone in the school.

There's the problem some girls face when crushing on other girls... they honestly can't tell if they're in love with that girl, or if they just want the life that girl has. I think Clark felt something similar there, even though he's a straight guy.

Clark felt like an outsider in school for most of his life, save for a few good friends. And that feeling was made even worse when he discovered that he was an alien. Clark always had this desperate need to fit in, to be normal and have a normal life. To be accepted by everyone. And Lana simply symbolized that for him.
                  After all, it makes sense. If you date the most popular girl in school then you'll become popular too by default. right? And for a guy who sometimes feels lonely, being popular is the best way to make new friends. But of course, he wouldn't consciously see it this way or even admit to himself that he was no better than any other shallow teen out there... even though this ironically makes him equally as normal as any other teen out there. And Clark did have a few shallow teen moments on the show... let's be honest here.
                  Instead, he convinced himself that he still had a strong crush on Lana, that his love for her was pure.

It was shown on the TV show that Lana and Clark worked better as friends rather than as romantic love interests. Unfortunately, Clark wasn't exactly the brightest bulb when it came to Lana, and seemed to be operating on the sunk cost fallacy logic. He already invested so much time into her, and just didn't want to admit that he might have been wrong about her being "the one".

So it should've been up to Lana to realize this and inform Clark of this fact.

Unfortunately for us all, and unfortunately for the show, this Smallville version of Lana isn't the type to see boys and men as possible friends... only as possible love interests. She doesn't seem to think that women and men CAN be friends (without any benefits at all) for a long time. And she also engages in cushioning behavior because she's scared of being alone, etc. She has abandonment issues.
                  Cushioning in a relationship is where you have a back-up girlfriend or boyfriend to fall back on so that you don't feel too bad once you break up with your main guy. It's not technically cheating because you don't actually do anything physical with the back-ups until the main guy is gone... but it is a form of emotional cheating if you choose to see it that way.
                  For most of the series, Lana seemed to treat Clark as the backup boyfriend. and Clark only got the honor of becoming the main guy for a season before being pushed back into the "backup boyfriend" corner again. And even in season 8, that habit seemed to be hard to break for her because here she was tugging on Clark's heartstrings even though she seemed to know that Clark was falling for somebody else. She clearly didn't want Clark to move on from her but were forced to leave because of the super suit.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎