Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Lois considered pure but Clark isn't?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois has never wanted to kill anyone.

Comment

• i think Lois is considered pure of heart because she knows her purpose and doesn't doubt it. Darkseid preys on that weakness, on ppl who are insecure about their purpose which is why he made a play for Clark. Clark still has doubt that he can be the greatest hero while Lois doesn't have doubt that she'll be great journalist someday and she doesnt doubt in her heroes despite their flaws.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin24
        From what I understood the darkness feeds on people who have doubts and fears. Doesn't Lois have doubts about herself? I mean at the end of the epsiode she fears that she is holding Clark back from fulfilling his destiny. She has been pretty down on herself lately.

The darkness told Clark that he sees the doubts he has that he will never be the hero he really wants to be. I don't understand why Clark was going to be taken over but Lois was seen as having a pure heart.

Can someone please explain that to me.
        During the run of the series, Clark's been portrayed as mopey, broding, whiney, blamed himself for everything, been close to killing people, etc, etc, etc (overly, unSuperman-ish). This whole story arc is clearly, a plot device to get him away from all that (and closer to Superman's personality). As he'll realize, there's only one way, for him to be safe (from being possessed) and capable of facing Darkseid: make himself pure.

Lois is "pure", because the arc is supposed to be revolving around Clark, not everyone (main characters, recurring characters, etc) trying to rid themselves, of whatever darkness or self-doubt, they might have about themselves.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin24
          From what I understood the darkness feeds on people who have doubts and fears. Doesn't Lois have doubts about herself? I mean at the end of the epsiode she fears that she is holding Clark back from fulfilling his destiny. She has been pretty down on herself lately.

The darkness told Clark that he sees the doubts he has that he will never be the hero he really wants to be. I don't understand why Clark was going to be taken over but Lois was seen as having a pure heart.

Can someone please explain that to me.
          SELF-DOUBT.

Lois's doubt about were she fits in her boyfriend's life, don't really rise to the level of the SELF-Doubt that Clark constantly has exhibited... I didn't buy the pure of heart non-sense really about Kara or Lois... hell, they aren't little kids... so they aren't pure really

But just taking it to a small degree... Clark has A LOT of issues about his place in the world... Lois doesn't doubt that she belongs, just where she fits in with Clark... not really worthy of being taking over by darkness for that one doubt, imho.

Comment

• Clark is full of doubt.

Lois is full of confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lunarsun
              Has Lois ever had to be physically stopped from trying to murder someone that didn't provoke them with violence first? out of simply revenge? Umm no. Clark has though, not to mention that whole playing God with chloe when she was losing all of her memories and Clark thought he had the God given right to select which she kept, and which she loss forever. And then there was the whole finding Lois hooked up to the machine Tess made to peek inside her memories, and instead of taking Lois from the dangerous machine he decides to take a peek himself, and then erase all of them. It wouldn't matter if Lois went around punching disabled children, her loving a God complex having stalker like Clark makes her pure.
              Clark did NOT intentional look into Lois' memories. The Green K caused him to be hooked up to the machine, not his intention at all But the rest yea... that's Clark!

Comment

• This show makes it look like Clark is the hero because of his powers, not because of his character or his spirit and choice to FREELY affect things.

This destiny crap starting from those damn caves in S2 kinda ruined why Superman is the greatest hero of them all. He is not doing it because of justice (Batman) or guilt (Spider-man) but because Superman sees the world and chooses to make it better.

IMO nothing else should drive him forward to become the greatest hero of them all than his own choice.

I love Smallville and I know that the writers will have to make Clark question things that he does. I know he needs inspiration from others too. But sometimes it feels like this Clark Kent is only becoming Superman because his daddy at the fortress said so all these years :P

Kinda like a kid who played ice hockey because his parents made him to do it. If the kid could have chosen he would have played...chess, water polo??

Comment

• Originally posted by ginevrakent
                  Clark doesn't have faith in his destiny. Part of his destiny, as he wants it, is to always be there for people like Lois. He's afraid of losing her, and not being able to protect her. As Oliver has been saying so far this season, if you don't feel like you can protect the one person who means more to you than the rest, how can you feel like you are capable of protecting a mass of strangers? Jor-El and Kara didn't make Clark doubt his destiny; he already did doubt it.

It's his fear of people losing faith in him as a hero who will always protect, and not bring harm, that haunts Clark. It's precisely the button that the clone of Lex was able to push for Clark to get angry, and let the darkness take over him, and for which Jor-El admonished him. If Clark can't let go of his guilt for his father's death (as well as the other relationships in his life he believes he caused to end too soon), and if he can't face his fears about not being there for Lois (humanity), he will always have doubts about be able to fulfill his destiny, regardless if he knows what that destiny is.
                  Excellent point... I think the writers are definitely going for THIS! I have said for years that I could never see this Clark Kent becoming the happy-go-lucky Superman that CR played, and i LOVED. He has been way too angry and depressed over the years!!

But reading what you just said and the preview for Homecoming make me think that when Clark FINALLY does let go of these things, THEN he will be that much more stronger and when he is at peace with Lois by his side... he WILL be the Superman that we all know and LOVE!

That makes me happy

Comment

• Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
                    These writers don't think much of Clark. Heck Kara's return was pointless and stupid. I'm not surprised they don't think him pure
                    Absolutely, her return was so pointless that it was a total waste of screen time and the way the writers depicted Clark as NOT pure of heart is crazy!! He's the perfect guy come on!! HE'S SUPERMAN!!

Comment

• Because that way writers can spit on Clark some more. In the last season. In which he should be the main hero 24/7.

Comment

• I think that in this case "purity of heart" actually means "purity of PURPOSE". Lois is ABSOLUTELY dedicated to Clark, she is in awe of his destiny, and with Clark /Blur as her paradigm, she has come to revere superheroes. Anyone noticed how polemic she is about them? She has absolute FAITH in superheroes, and in her right to protect them, especially Clark, for she considers them both she loves, can look up to, even worthy risking/losing her life.

Clark lacks this "purity of purpose", because he is in constant doubt. He has been raised Human. All his life he has said that his powers (thus, his alien heritage) lead the people close to him to harm, thinking HE IS responsible for what befalls them, even though HE IS the one who ends up saving them all! So, Clark has severe issues with his being a Kryptonian, not to mention what he has suffered at the hands of "his people", not to mention Kryptonian civilization DESTROYED ITSELF. Also, how many times did he see his Kryptonian heritage as a red flag for his happiness? Now, he is closer to the end of the road, he realizes, mentally, that's who he is, and he is trying to embrace his mantle as protector. Easier said than done, for he is acting still as if here Human. Kara tells him "it just IS", and so it is with everyone who belives himself Kryptonian. while Clark is TRYING, STRUGGLING really, to fly, but it's something alien to him - and he KNOWS it is the last step toward becoming everything this father of his wants him to be. After having suffered all this, it's easier said than done, for someone to believe that he IS something good, something worthy, that this famed Kryptonian heritage is actually something that will give HOPE. When he does that, and rejoices in his flight, he will have come full circle. Until his doubts are erased, though, his sense of purpose (and "purity of heart") will be FLAWE.D

Comment

• ^great post

It's interesting isn't. Currently we, western culture that is, are very conflicted about mindstates like 'doubt' and 'conviction'. Doubt is considered 'good' when it leads to a person being critical with an honest desire to find truth, but there is also a negative connotation. 'Conviction' on the other hand, is still a positive attribute, but more and more it's being associated with fundamentalism, which isn't 'good'.

In a Smallville context, Lois' conviction is clearly considered good and pure, even if it makes her rash and unapologetic at times. Clark's doubts can help him to be careful, which is very important given his power and responsibility, but he needs a measure of conviction to become the hero and icon he's meant to be.
                          Last edited by Pantalaimon; 10-12-2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by angie_casas
                            i think Lois is considered pure of heart because she knows her purpose and doesn't doubt it. Darkseid preys on that weakness, on ppl who are insecure about their purpose which is why he made a play for Clark. Clark still has doubt that he can be the greatest hero while Lois doesn't have doubt that she'll be great journalist someday and she doesnt doubt in her heroes despite their flaws.
                            Exactly!!

Comment

• Way to cripple the main threat that's supposed to be a corrupting evil power with it's first victim. Making Lois pure of heart is like making Frodo immune to the Ring.

You've just made the villain weak and there was never any real danger from Clark either because Supergirl...I mean Kara was around to save him before we could see how powerful Darkseid's corruption might have been...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎