Special effects in Supergirl

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkseid coming out of Godfried and Kara blocking him looked amazing and perfect. All the effects tonight were good, not always great but good.

Comment

Originally posted by SVfan87
      special fx were terrible! ugh, it made me cringe. first the billboard. then the windmill was obviously a green screen or whatever. all i could think was if they had to do these scenes in season 1 it would've looked great. someone needs to give that show some money!!! i'm feeling cheated.
      Yeah, I hate how low their budget is!! They were really, really terrible last night.

Comment

I had no problem with the special effects. They could've done better, sure, but it was nowhere near the worst they've done. There will never be another "Commencement", I think people should realize this already.

Comment

Pretty unmemorable stuff for the most part. The failed flight was pretty good I guess.

Comment

They should do more episodes like "Rabid" and Checkmate".
            "Supergirl" effects were truly horrible - it was like watching 3D animation. Hope they do it better next time ;(

Comment

The effects in this episode were painful to watch, especially if we compare them with Shield's.

Comment

The windmill-scene looked like taken from Sims.
                I laughed and cried at the same time.
                I'm just hoping that they're saving for the final!

Comment

budget has very little to do with this, and don't assume they're saving money for last episode. Look what happen with Doomsday.

It's about time, clients and how it was shot. TV shows typically have 1-2 weeks turn around. You can't expect anyone to do complicated shots in that amount of time.
                  "well some effects looked good and others pre-season 7 looked better"

well things constantly change in the industry. When the creators of Smallville left. Management probably changed too; therefore different opinions on what they want to see. If they don't even know what they want to see, well you get crap.

If things were shot bad in the first place. It's likely going to stay bad. Only way it's ever going to be good is if there was time to do pre-vis work. Like Clark jumping onto the missile or kal-EL flying.
                  "well why don't they do that then?"
                  for many reasons. but I would suspect that the client's want more effect shots in the same given time frame. If you watch the earlier seasons.. there are less effects per episodes than there is now. Client's who do not have background in Visual Effects, tend to believe you could make something cool in a matter of hours when in reality it would take weeks or in a film time frame months. They think just cause computers have advance so far you could make something faster now which is completely wrong on so many levels.

You get what you get. Just enjoy it for what it is. If we could handle the effects of Lois & Clark and Superman. we can certainly enjoy this.

and for the love of god... stop calling it Special Effects. Special effects is a far out General term in modern times. It ranges from live effects done on set. like Pyro explosions and stunts to hairdressers, make up artist, etc...

The proper term is Visual Effects (VFX) - which is to do with anything created in post on computers.

Not trying to be rude but we VFX artists never get recognized or acknowledged in the film or tv industry or for that matter the World. Watch any credits in a film. were always last. even behind Caterers. Yet, were the driven force that give you Avatar, Transformers, Iron Man... etc...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperNinjaAlex
                    dear god (or castiel) if you can hear me....

Allow the show to hire the 300/watchmen special effects company for the series finale
                    No they would just bring along Zack Snyder films emptyness and void of any emotion with them!! And all this in SLOW-MO!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                      No they would just bring along Zack Snyder films emptyness and void of any emotion with them!! And all this in SLOW-MO!!
                      Hehe, isn't he doing the next Superman film.

Anyway, what I really miss is creativity. I always think of the superspeed shot in Identity where Clark quickly clears away all his red and blue cloths when Jimmy is about to come in, while at the same time an apple is slowly rolling of the table with Clark catching it just before it falls to the ground. That one was simple but really fun and effective.

I have to say though, that while the red sheet shot looked really cheap, it did work rather well as a Superman motif. Now if only it had looked a little more interesting visually.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantalaimon
                        Hehe, isn't he doing the next Superman film.
                        That's partly why I bashed him . 'Cos Im afraid what the movie is gonna be like...

No matter if the script is "Superman For All Seasons" or "All-Star Superman" we're only gonna get visuals but not the substance.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                          That's partly why I bashed him . 'Cos Im afraid what the movie is gonna be like...

No matter if the script is "Superman For All Seasons" or "All-Star Superman" we're only gonna get visuals but not the substance.
                          But Nolan is still producing right? I read somewhere that he and one of his writing partners came up with this really great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by omnomnom
                            budget has very little to do with this, and don't assume they're saving money for last episode. Look what happen with Doomsday.

It's about time, clients and how it was shot. TV shows typically have 1-2 weeks turn around. You can't expect anyone to do complicated shots in that amount of time.
                            "well some effects looked good and others pre-season 7 looked better"

well things constantly change in the industry. When the creators of Smallville left. Management probably changed too; therefore different opinions on what they want to see. If they don't even know what they want to see, well you get crap.

If things were shot bad in the first place. It's likely going to stay bad. Only way it's ever going to be good is if there was time to do pre-vis work. Like Clark jumping onto the missile or kal-EL flying.
                            "well why don't they do that then?"
                            for many reasons. but I would suspect that the client's want more effect shots in the same given time frame. If you watch the earlier seasons.. there are less effects per episodes than there is now. Client's who do not have background in Visual Effects, tend to believe you could make something cool in a matter of hours when in reality it would take weeks or in a film time frame months. They think just cause computers have advance so far you could make something faster now which is completely wrong on so many levels.

You get what you get. Just enjoy it for what it is. If we could handle the effects of Lois & Clark and Superman. we can certainly enjoy this.

and for the love of god... stop calling it Special Effects. Special effects is a far out General term in modern times. It ranges from live effects done on set. like Pyro explosions and stunts to hairdressers, make up artist, etc...

The proper term is Visual Effects (VFX) - which is to do with anything created in post on computers.

Not trying to be rude but we VFX artists never get recognized or acknowledged in the film or tv industry or for that matter the World. Watch any credits in a film. were always last. even behind Caterers. Yet, were the driven force that give you Avatar, Transformers, Iron Man... etc...
                            Thanks for the E True Hollywood story, It def matters how its shot in the first place.

The Effects in Supergirl were not that bad. The scene of clark trying to fly were actually pretty well done IMO. Even when he fell thru the barn, that was a good stunt. The Supergirl save at the begining was not as bad as people are saying, The end was the only part i was lik ehh on. The scene of the black crows surrounding clark could of been cooler, and the lois save was hidden. They could of been alot better, but i dont want them taking away from the 200th ep, wich looks amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by SVfan87
                              special fx were terrible! ugh, it made me cringe. first the billboard. then the windmill was obviously a green screen or whatever. all i could think was if they had to do these scenes in season 1 it would've looked great. someone needs to give that show some money!!! i'm feeling cheated.

me tooo!!!! you took the words right out of me

Comment

Originally posted by Pantalaimon
                                But Nolan is still producing right? I read somewhere that he and one of his writing partners came up with this really great idea.
                                I know but every movie I've seen from Snyder has the same problems (for me anyways...) and I bet there must have been atleast 1 or 2 good producer behind those projects. And Nolan is a director, not a producer so Im afraid he won't keep Snyder on a tight leash. Look I really hope Im wrong and the movie turns out great. I hope Zack Snyder proves me wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎