Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quit bringing old stars back: move on

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the Jonathan scene,he is an essential element in shaping Clark into the man he is.
    Now more frivolous characters like Bug Boy....you may have a point there.

Comment

I really thought they did a good job with the way they brought Jonathan back. I liked the dreamlike quality, and the way Clark got to hash out his thoughts and fears. I even enjoyed the way that it was left up to the audience as to how or why Jonathan appeared. It's almost like Clark is thinking of what his father might say. I love what Jonathan says about his own anger issues and Lionel. Clark really needed a father's love at that moment. It could have been dumb and regressive... but they did a good job with it so it wasn't IMO.

Comment

I hope they don't so what LOST did in it's final season-bring back every charatcer they could, relevant or not, just to get a "OHMIGOD, IT'S ::insert random character from season 2 here::"

However, I don't see this happening. We've pretty much been promised epic leaps towards Clark's destiny, and I really hope they deliver!

Comment

I thought it was great to see Bo Kent again. And given that this will be Smallville's last season, I actually hope they do bring more stars from previous seasons back. Sort of like an encore at the end of a great show.

Comment

Originally posted by cchriswake
            you want Superman?

They're all essential in bringing him towards being the legend... of course some miss the dialogue completely
            No they're not. It's too contrived. Dead people fixing fences and having to rest because he's out of breath is senseless. He also doesn't need any advice from Pete. Kara is a different story. I am tired of this conflicted CK.

Comment

Well I agree to some point. I don't think it's nececarry to pull everyone from the past out of the hat. Expecially those not nececarry. I didn't mind Lana, but maybe it'd be best to leave her in the past. [SPOILER]Lionel I'm not sure about yet. I think they could have left him in the past, but I dunno how they work him into the story so... hard to say.[/SPOILER]
              Anyway some characters do fit bring back and I think it worked for Jonathan since he is a big part of Clark. Lex is too.
              Last edited by Atomic girl; 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Comment

I'm torn on this one... I read the thread title and was about to post (without reading ur take)... I couldn't disagree more.. But, i agree with the Lost comparison.. Don't bring ppl back just for the sake of a H*** S*** moment (unless worthy like i feel JK was), while wasting ur last seasons time, ala Lost. Now with that said...the origin of SV's story was Clark v Lex, and their coming of age... Not verse Dark, Doomsday, Bizzaro, Metello (sp?) and Zod.. Bringing back Lex (and I mean MR's Lex) IMO is great for a show that has wallowed around since Lionel and Lex left..
                Last edited by McFly; 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

jonathan was needed, as jorel and jonathan are the 2 forces in clarks spirit that drive him to be who he is hes human because of his parents and accepts his kryptonian side due to his father jorel

jorel basically slammed clark and left him, clark was left feeling down like he said to jonathan he feels when he does right he does wrong

he needed a parent at that point to tell him he was doing a good job and that sum1 1 of his parents had faith in him, jonathans spirit obviously felt how clark felt

how many people in real life say they feel their love 1's stay with them after death, that just thinking about them makes them happier, thats what clark needed to see the 1 person he could rely on be there when he needed it

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
                    No they're not. It's too contrived. Dead people fixing fences and having to rest because he's out of breath is senseless. He also doesn't need any advice from Pete. Kara is a different story. I am tired of this conflicted CK.
                    MOD EDIT Clark Kent is a much more complex character than I think you are giving him credit for. Even when he becomes Superman, his problems are far from over. There are always going to be times in his life where he feels confused, conflicted and uncertain. That's what makes him relatable. If he didn't have these moments...then what would the challenge be? Why would we care about this "god in a cape" if we didn't feel as though we could understand his heart?

MOD EDIT Clark was 18 when his father died. That kind of loss stays with a person. It never truly goes away. Yes, life goes on. But you never truly move on in the sense that they are always in your thoughts. I thought it made complete sense that Clark would have an experience with his father when he was feeling so low and sad.
                    Last edited by Atomic girl; 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM. Reason: rule #10

Comment

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
                      Um this is still smallville. So naturally we're going to see people from seasons past.
                      And it's not like they're stalling his progress (Like Lana's return would do)
                      QFT! Remember S8 when Lana returned? Complete Clark regression and stalling! (JMHO)
                      Originally posted by LuthorKent90
                      Since Lex is in his future and Jonathan gives great advice how is that hurting Clark or his progression??
                      Agreed! BOTH of these characters are essential in Clark's life and future. Since this is the last season of SV, I personally was glad to see JK return (not just for sentimental reasons alone--but also,) to help guide Clark toward reaching his destiny. He's not there yet, but will be by the time this show ends this season, and had we not had Jonathan Kent at least once this season, there would've been something lost with us all...again, my opinion.

Originally posted by SV'S_immortal_hero
                      jonathan was needed, as jorel and jonathan are the 2 forces in clarks spirit that drive him to be who he is hes human because of his parents and accepts his kryptonian side due to his father jorel

jorel basically slammed clark and left him, clark was left feeling down like he said to jonathan he feels when he does right he does wrong

he needed a parent at that point to tell him he was doing a good job and that sum1 1 of his parents had faith in him, jonathans spirit obviously felt how clark felt

how many people in real life say they feel their love 1's stay with them after death, that just thinking about them makes them happier, thats what clark needed to see the 1 person he could rely on be there when he needed it
                      Based on my personal experience, I certainly still feel my parents with me and especially at times when I know I need them the most. Their guidance and influence in my life continues to this day, so SV bringing back JK at the moment Clark needed him was a marvelous idea given this is the last season of the show, and that by the end, we'll see Clark step into his Superman role.
                      So therefore...CERTAINLY JK needed to be seen this season once again providing his son with the advice he needs in only the way JK could give it...with love and support.

Comment

I completely agree. It just looks like a gimmick bringing Pa Kent back for no other reason than nostalgia. And Lazarus was just an all around bad episode.

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
                          I want Superman, not more of Lana, Lex, Jonathan, Lionel etc.
                          You want Superman without Lex?

Well that makes -- absolutely no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnietoons
                            Well I agree to some point. I don't think it's nececarry to pull everyone from the past out of the hat. Expecially those not nececarry. I didn't mind Lana, but maybe it'd be best to leave her in the past. [SPOILER]Lionel I'm not sure about yet. I think they could have left him in the past, but I dunno how they work him into the story so... hard to say.[/SPOILER]
                            Anyway some characters do fit bring back and I think it worked for Jonathan since he is a big part of Clark. Lex is too.
                            [SPOILER]In theory, I don't mind seeing Lionel back, because I don't think he should have been killed in the first place. [/SPOILER]

However, having Lana around slows down the whole Clois storyline and frankly, I think they should have gotten together for good at least a season or two ago.
                            Last edited by Atomic girl; 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Comment

Originally posted by Audrey229
                              MOD EDITClark Kent is a much more complex character than I think you are giving him credit for. Even when he becomes Superman, his problems are far from over. There are always going to be times in his life where he feels confused, conflicted and uncertain. That's what makes him relatable. If he didn't have these moments...then what would the challenge be? Why would we care about this "god in a cape" if we didn't feel as though we could understand his heart?.
                              Absolutely true! There's always inner-conflict w/ Clark Kent/Superman...he's a hero that has to make difficult choices at times...and difficult choices are always conflicting.
                              MOD EDIT Clark was 18 when his father died. That kind of loss stays with a person. It never truly goes away. Yes, life goes on. But you never truly move on in the sense that they are always in your thoughts.
                              Yes, I personally know.

I thought it made complete sense that Clark would have an experience with his father when he was feeling so low and sad[/B].
                              Had we not seen JK again before this show ended with Clark becoming Superman, there would've been something lost. It was a marvelous touch at the right time.
                              Last edited by Atomic girl; 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

MOD EDIT Clark Kent is a much more complex character than I think you are giving him credit for. Even when he becomes Superman, his problems are far from over. There are always going to be times in his life where he feels confused, conflicted and uncertain. That's what makes him relatable. If he didn't have these moments...then what would the challenge be? Why would we care about this "god in a cape" if we didn't feel as though we could understand his heart?

MOD EDITClark was 18 when his father died. That kind of loss stays with a person. It never truly goes away. Yes, life goes on. But you never truly move on in the sense that they are always in your thoughts. I thought it made complete sense that Clark would have an experience with his father when he was feeling so low and sad.
                                Expect Suprman:TAS and Justice League are vastly superior to Smallville. I liked Johnathan's moment, but we don't need everyone coming back especially the deceased. [SPOILER]Lionel is going to be a stretch.[/SPOILER] Kara needs to come back. I am a bit shocked she didn't come back last season since she went a way to find Kandor and it was on Earth for a year. Yet, people like Martha, John and the rest of the League makes sense to appear this year considering the Checkmate story is still ongoing as well as introducting Darkseid. I have no desire to see Pete, the Teagues, Lana and others. [SPOILER]Legion also like Lionel is all about how they use them. I am more happy Chloe is going to be gone for awhile, [/SPOILER]so we maybe we can actually move Clark to be a leader instead of the conflicted emo kid. You can write Superman without being conflicted, its just takes better writers.
                                Last edited by Atomic girl; 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎