No announcement yet.

Quit bringing old stars back: move on

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit bringing old stars back: move on

Jonathan and Lex just remind me of the tortured delay in Clark's maturation process. I want Superman, not more of Lana, Lex, Jonathan, Lionel etc. It's forced having Jonathan appear as a ghost or whatever. They're forcing it and it doesn't fit. Ideals him to put his past behind him, fly, stay with Lois and stay away from the barn. I was disappointed with much of this episode. Jonathan is dead. Ghosts don't mend fences and get out of breath from swinging a hammer. This retro stuff is stupid. Stop it.

I like it, Jonathan's come back is a sort of nod to all of us that love him, I really appreciate his return. Lex's story is just part of Superman mythos, you say Superman and the next thing people think about is Lex Luthor.

Comment

how is bringing in these past characters bad. they were their to give focus onto clark's journey.

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
        Jonathan and Lex just remind me of the tortured delay in Clark's maturation process. I want Superman, not more of Lana, Lex, Jonathan, Lionel etc. It's forced having Jonathan appear as a ghost or whatever. They're forcing it and it doesn't fit. Ideals him to put his past behind him, fly, stay with Lois and stay away from the barn. I was disappointed with much of this episode. Jonathan is dead. Ghosts don't mend fences and get out of breath from swinging a hammer. This retro stuff is stupid. Stop it.
        Well, they are all (aside from Lionel) a part of Superman's life. As so many say, "Smallville is a show about Superman." While that's true, it began with Clark and Lex and it will end with Clark and Lex, just as they said. Tom brought back Jonathan for fans. If you are not a fan of Jonathan, so be it, but there are many of us out here who greatly appreciate this and have been waiting for it for a very long time.

Sidenote: we don't know that he was a ghost, he may very well have been something else entirely. Clark is dead, but he came back anyway. I agree that Lana is not needed - at least not in Smallville's continuity - if she appeared after Clark became Superman, that would be proper. As for Lionel, I will hold my opinion until I see how they use his character.

Comment

Originally posted by vezz801
          Well, they are all (aside from Lionel) Tom brought back Jonathan for fans.
          I didn't know that, that shows us how much they really appreciate each other, I think Tom learned a lot from John and it shows. Very cute, I love that they really care for each other

Comment

Originally posted by galatians221
            I didn't get the impression that he was a ghost at all. Clark was at a very low point, Jor-El had just finished berating him and then he returns to the farm only to find Lois's good-bye note. He was at a point where many get to when we need our parent. If you're fortunate and they are still alive, you pick up the phone or go see them and cry on their shoulder. If they're dead, you start to recall things they said to you as a child, things you didn't even understand at the time. But they make sense now that you are older and they steel you to get through whatever trail you're facing. I think that was what we saw. This is a "what would my father say if he were still here" situation.
            Last edited by Crouching Lurker; 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I hope they bring back more old stars before the series finale.

Comment

I'm glad Jonathan finally absolved Lionel from blame of killing him. Jonathan was recently killed off in the comics & has been present in Superman's life for a very long time. Jonathan was even responsible for helping Superman come back from the void he was in after he & Doomsday killed each other, which is what I thought would happen in Lazarus when I saw Clark dead.

Comment

Um this is still smallville. So naturally we're going to see people from seasons past.
                  And it's not like they're stalling his progress (Like Lana's return would do)
                  Since Lex is in his future and Jonathan gives great advice how is that hurting Clark or his progression??

Comment

It was great to see Jonathan ( John) again. Just great!

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovebeinglost
                      *smiles with delight*

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovebeinglost
                        I was really touched by Jonathan coming back. It reminded me of why I LOVED the first few seasons. I don't think bringing Jonathan back was the problem, I think killing him off was the big problem.

I must admit I wasn't sure about bringing Jonathan back when I heard the spoilers, but (and I'll admit it was a weird scene as far as set up) I loved the poignant father and son moments. I loved the complete acceptance of a son by his father, and the love that was shown being given to him. While Clark saw a superhero that had failed, Jonathan saw a man that had learned a lot since being a boy. I think Clark needed that boost, especially after having Jor-El turn on him in the fortress. Maybe being a parent myself made me see that scene differently, but I loved the father son moment, and I hope/wish/pray that they will give us more.

Comment

i dont care if he was a ghost who really did fix the fence- he was there when clark needed him, and ...hey, if superman needs some support because he's in the dumps and jor el is beign a downer and way too cranky- then it's time his dad apears in a limited form to give him the courage so he'll actively act like SUPERMAN- which is why i LOVED thi, because because of his past- he IS MOVING on even FASTER thna i thought he would...

I enjoyed it, so no, dont stop it.
                          let his past characters push him onto his destiny- dont let him forget where he came from, and dont let him forgetthis is his second chance to take the mantle

Comment

you want Superman?

They're all essential in bringing him towards being the legend... of course some miss the dialogue completely

Comment

I really enjoyed the Jonathan scene. It was a nice counterpoint to Jor-El's dressing down, and it was also quite different from how they brought Martha back in late S9. (Wow - never commented on that one, so I'll do so here: I always figured Martha for a lioness at heart, and she did not disappoint me.)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎