Music in "Lazarus"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the song here. At first I was a little thrown off because I immediately recognized the song and remembered the scene in "Veritas", but then I really enjoyed the nostalgic quality of using past songs that way ("Dawson's Creek" did this in their final episode). I'm not saying I want Kelly and Brian to ALWAYS select songs from previous seasons because then it would just become stale, but rather to sprinkle past songs in throughout the season while also mixing in new music as well.

I would LOVE if upon Lex's return they replayed "PRELUDE 12/21". That would be SO epic because I view that song as sort of the theme music from Lex Luthor of "Smallville" mythos. That scene at the end of "Subterranean" with him walking callously past his prisoners in 33.1 just truly captured the essence of this incarnation of the megalomaniac we all know and love to hate.

It'd also be great if they replayed the intro from Mozart's Requiem, reminiscent of the end of "Covenant" in season three when Lionel was having his enemies killed off, only this time it would be Lex. Instead of Lionel's "thank you" after the crescendo, Lex could say: "the son becomes the father..." And give the camera a smirk. That'd be chilling.

"Everything" by Lifehouse would be a great callback to season one, although I don't think it'd work unless it was in a moment that was particularly about Lana (as much as I prefer Lois and Clark, I don't like the idea of Lois being used with this song since it's such a quintessential Lana moment).

And of course "Superman" by Five For Fighting would be EPIC to replay, especially in the finale episode.

Comment

Louis' score at the end when they showed the suit in the fortress was EPIC!

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
        I loved the song here. At first I was a little thrown off because I immediately recognized the song and remembered the scene in "Veritas", but then I really enjoyed the nostalgic quality of using past songs that way ("Dawson's Creek" did this in their final episode). I'm not saying I want Kelly and Brian to ALWAYS select songs from previous seasons because then it would just become stale, but rather to sprinkle past songs in throughout the season while also mixing in new music as well.
        I remember that. But it was only that one episode, so it made sense. I love the VAST song, but it just...IDK, there are specific moments on this show that are brought to mind with certain songs, and it just needled me. It's only me, so no big deal.

I just missed the epic feel of Louis Febre's orchestrations from Savior last year, in this episode. It started out in the DoS scene, but kind of puttered out. The guitar riff in the limbo world was different, and I did like the music in the end.

To me, music is as much a part of the viewing experience as anything else...even on television. So for a final premiere with scenes of the magnitude that Lazarus had, I was disappointed. Again, just me.

Comment

I don't get why they chose to use that song again. In my mind, that song will always be associated with Lana. Why did I need to be reminded of Lana?

Anyway, it didn't seem to fit...

Comment

Well it's true the song reminded me of Lana, but my reactions to the scenes were very different.

Comparing S7 Veritas to S10 Lazarus.

The song used in “Lazurus” was in good context to what was going on between Chole & Oliver vs Lois & Clark, as it was for Clana in “Veritas”

In S7 I was to over Clana Drama, sorry but I was ready for Lana leave. And if she needed to be in a coma I was find with it. Yes, I saw CK pain & tears, but again I was accustom to the same old Clana drama leading to nowhere. The rollercoster & I was like "whatever"! So even as emotional the scene was portrayed I understood the meaning of it but it didn’t hit my heart as “Lazurus. I feel Chole’s pain, love & determination trading herself for Oliver. I see Lois’s love & purpose over a decision she knows will be painful for both but proper for her at this moment. I can distinguish CK’s complete devastation of Lois simply gone. He couldn't even bring himself to keep/hold the letter over his complete shock Lois's leaving him. CK was numb.

Same song, but different context as it’s a different time & different relationships in CK life.
            Last edited by Tinyeppy; 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

hellokitty: Don't worry, it's not just you. Other people on K-site feel that way too. And I in some ways felt that way at first too, but the more I rewatched the episode, the more the re-used song grew on me . But I definitely know where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Kneel before Zod
                I don't get why they chose to use that song again. In my mind, that song will always be associated with Lana. Why did I need to be reminded of Lana?

Anyway, it didn't seem to fit...
                have to agree make the mind traveled back/ They shouldn't reuse songs

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicus
                  have to agree make the mind traveled back/ They shouldn't reuse songs
                  Agreed 100%.

I am very against shows recycling songs. The music chosen for a scene has a very distinct correlation and relationship to that scene. When you use it again, no matter how many seasons later, it only brings memories of the original scene it was played. My issue was that this song was used at a very pivotal Clark and Lana moment towards the end of Veritas --only to come up two years later for Lois and Clark (I know this song was for Tess, Alexander, Chloe and Ollie as well, but it started out for Clark and Lois). Using this song for two major moments? Really? For me, it slightly cheapened the scene as Clark no longer has any ties to Lana anymore. Why share a special song that was played for an ex....with the new girl?

It's kind of like having your wedding song, getting divorce, remarrying and then using the same old wedding song from your last marriage.

Comment

Did anyone else notice the score during Clark's vision of Lex in his near-death experience? I thought it was appropriately creepy.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎