No announcement yet.

All-Star Superman Animated Film (2011)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
    Okay this is an extreme but I'd say I would love the movie version (1967) of Leo Tolstoi's War & Peace...but the movie is just soooo loooong. I love the directing, acting, script but it just has so much of the book (and the russian pacing) that the message just disapears because I lose my interest. Even if I watch it like an hour at a time that's still too much. I still like and appreaciate the content but the length and pacing detract so much from the piece that I can't exactly call it a good movie.
    I feel similarly about Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. It's three hours long and slowly-paced, but IMO it would be unfair to criticize because the pace is part of the style and to make more cuts would compromise the style. Plus, it's otherwise edited pretty well, and it's hard for me to imagine what could have been cut out of the film. It's my least favorite Stanley Kubrick film, but I can still appreciate and respect it, and IMO it's a very good film - but will only appeal to people with a certain taste.

I've never seen War & Peace, but if the acting, directing, and script are that good, but you don't like the pacing, then I would argue then perhaps it's still not the actual length of the film but the pacing - and I'd also argue that maybe it's not the pacing that's necessarily bad, just another matter of taste. Then again, I think adapting books into movies are a tricky thing. Note that the movies I mentioned before are either wholly original (Inception & Heat), not directly based on one book (The Dark Knight), or loosely based on a book (Goodfellas). When you adapt a longer book, I'm of the opinion that you simply have to heavily deviate from the source material to conform to the film format, or you simply have to go the TV route if you want to preserve every one of the book's details.

Comment

• I just got it on Blu-ray and watched the special features before i watched the movie. I must say that contrary to popular opinion i liked every bit of it. Maybe its cos I never read the original comic.. but then watching the special features and how Grant Morrison came up with the idea of his Superman after seeing a dude walking around in the night with a superman suit on and having a little chat with him kinda made it more intruiging for me... cos he actually sat down with an obvious fan (even though he describes the incident as "it was like seeing a shaman" ). I liked how supes was really smart. How he reached out to Lex near the end and how he basically used his brain over bran with Lex. I also liked the dynamic of how lex actually liked Clark Kent but hated superman. And kinda related to his whole Philosophy of what mankind needs to be inspired by (albeit his being quite psychotic). And the ultimate deal breaker for me was when he finally understood what it meant to be superman. What it meant to see through the eyes of the man of steel and why he is so infinitely good hearted and believes in Oneness. And another touching scene for me was his short scene with Martha. despite being short it conveyed a lot of emotion for me. The way he didn't tell her what was happening to him. That would be hard on anyone.. not being able to tell your mother what you are going through and yet knowing it could be the very last time you ever see her . and those four words " I love you Ma" just before he flew of.. Showed the kind of closeness he had with his mother (or maybe i have a hyperactive imagination and see too much into things). I liked the way the movie went and i like how despite his condition Lois still kept faith... i guess for me it was not a bad movie at all... but i still like Public Enemies more than this one.. and one thing i didn't like also was the fact that they ommited Batman from the "met good friends like Pete,Lana," line.. cos in the special features when they quoted from the comic he mentioned bats. Everything else in the movie was okay for me.. cos i don't really know the source material that much.

Comment

• The fact that I didn't read the comic might be exacty WHY I didn't enjoy the film too much. I liked the way it started off, but, and this was without no prior knowledge to the graphic novel other than it existed, as the story progressed I felt like I was looking at a puzzle that didn't have all the right pieces. I understand they were going for a more Silver-Age feel with this particular story, but things kept popping up left and right all over the place. The Sun-Eaters, the arm-wrestling match, at times I felt like I was watching a really long, pretentious montage of random clips spliced together.

It angered me because I know a good story was there, I was really interested in the basic premise, really intrigued. But I really felt they should've added a lot moreto the story than they did to connect everything a bit more smoothly. I did love the ending, with Lex Luthor realizing the error of his ways, and the ambiguous death of Superman. Really touching stuff. If anything, though, this movie compelled me to buy the graphic novel which I feel will be a great real and help piece some of the things I didn't, exactly, understand with All Star Superman.

Comment

• I finally watched this again tonight, and as is typically the case with these movies, I liked it better the second time. It felt a bit more connected this time - I'm not really sure why, but it did, though some things certainly still felt random.

One thing that kind of confused me both times, and I had forgotten about it until I watched it this second time, is the time it takes Superman to deliver Kandor to its new world. He tells Lois that it would normally take him three weeks, but under the circumstances it takes him two months. What made him slower? Up until this point, his condition had heightened all his powers, so one would think he could travel faster. I suppose I could assume that he was starting to get weaker at that point, but I don't feel that was explained very well, and he never seemed to be weakening until a bit later in the film. In the graphic novel, I think this is where the Bizarro part happens, so that delays him and weakens him, but it shouldn't have any bearing on the events of this film since it wasn't included .

Comment

• Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            So, I finally bought and watched this today. I enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't my favorite that they've done. The problems I had were basically the same that I had when I actually read the comic - so many random things happen with no buildup or aftermath. I would guess a lot of things might make more sense if I had read a lot of Silver Age comics - perhaps I might know something about Samson, Atlas, the Kryptonian astronauts, Solaris, etc. That said, I kind of missed a lot of the things they took out. I especially missed the Bizarro World part. What I really liked was how intelligent Superman was shown to be. I liked how he outsmarted Lex instead of just beating the crap out of him.

Compared to the rest of the movies released in this series, I'd say All-Star Superman hovers around average. My favorites remain Batman: Under the Red Hood, Green Lantern: First Flight, and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

Also, is there some kind of mandate that animated movies have to be right around 75 minutes? I don't really understand why they should necessarily have to be much shorter than the typical live action movie.
            just watched it, came here to write my first thoughts, but i'm glad that they are exactly the same of yours

Comment

• Rewatched All-Star and I have to say the animated feature was just gold. Must have been a difficult task to condense the story and despite obvious short comings that occur with such episodic narrative the end result was worth it. Denton, Hendricks and LaPaglia are pretty much my favorite, Superman, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor.

Instead of action schlock the story has neat ways to solve conflict. Superman anwers a riddle versus the Ultrasphinx, he treats hostile kryptonian astronauts who've experiencing kryptonite poisoning and finally using the gravity gun on Lex to relatively speed up his 24 hour super-serum (despite the fact the story got the effect backwards).

Instead of a clear, concise story we're dealing with A Day in the Life of Superman kinda story. And his days are pretty fantastic even when facing certain death. All in all I'd say this is my favorite Superman story. Both the comic and the animated feature top pretty much everything the live action movies have going for them in my opinion. Smaller audience allows more Morrison madness I guess.

I watched this as part of the Superman Animated Triple Pack.
              It included three parter The Last Son of Krypton from Superman: The Animated Series edited into movie form. A great origin story and a great nostalgia trip for me.
              The second disc has more select episodes from Superman: TAS, haven't gotten to them yet.
              If The Last Son of Krypton is a great origin story then All-Star was a spectacular twilight story for Superman (who's cool even when he sparkles at the end!).

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎