Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madcloisfan View Post
    loved it
    update soon
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx1 View Post
    your off to a great start ray. the first chapter was so enjoyable that i didnt really notice how long it was.

i really liked the picture you painted of a heartbroken clark and it was fitting that he had his breakdown in the copy room because of it being the place of so many good memories.

the fortress parts were really good because it captured the way jor-el is generally portrayed in smallville( i don't really care for it but thats just me). Clark throwing a tantrum and throwing crystals around the fortress made me chuckle.

the conversation between clark and martha was really good. i wish they would have done something like that in the show instead of skipping over that. you did a really good job in filling in that part of the story and i liked the note about glasses.

taking the suit out for a test drive made me laugh

looking forward to the next update
    Thanks, George and Steve. I really appreciate your feedback! It's amazing how the different parts of a story affect different readers. I am happy that everyone was positively affected by this and have provided some constructive criticism to help me grow as an amateur writer. I am glad you found enjoyable moments as well as humorous ones. Sorry about the length. I am still struggling about where and when to cut the continuity off.

Some wanted to know how I am going to handle Lois. This next chapter of "Preparation" and all of your helpful feedback will determine how well or how badly I handled it. So I'm gonna shut my eyes now, grit my teeth and post it in a few. =}:-)

Here is just a snippet of what is to come:

Previously in "Preparation”:"

Hours pass, the still quiet of the city devoid of traffic noises arouses the consciousness of Lois Lane as she opens her eyes to find a wounded, man lying in a crumpled heap next to her. Her body wracked with pain, her head spinning, she pulls herself off of the pavement, trying to remember where she had been that night and who this wounded stranger might be. Unable to find her cell phone, she straightens her scarf and leather jacket, staggering around a corner to find a phone booth to call an ambulance for him. ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….... .................

Lois finds the phone booth where she and "The Blur" first communicated. Lois dials 911 and calls for the ambulance.

911 answers, “911. What is your emergency?''

Lois answers with urgency, "I am Lois Lane a reporter for The Daily Planet. I must have been knocked out by something or someone, because I woke up on the street lying next to a wounded man.

911, "What kinds of wounds does he have?"

Lois replies, "He has what appears to be a long knife cut across his chest and a stab wound on the right side of his abdomen."

911, "What about you? Have you sustained any injuries?” Lois replies, “Aside from pain all over and dizziness, I think I will survive.”

911, “Where are you? What is your location?"

Lois bewildered, replies, "I don't know where I am or how I got here!"

911 ask, "What is the telephone number on the phone you are calling from?"

Lois replies, “Let’s see ... 8-4-3-2-5-8-7." [T-H-E-B-L-U-R]

911 "Got it. We will find you. Please return to the wounded man and see if you can do something to stop the bleeding from his wounds. We will be there ASAP."

Lois replies, "Okay, and thank you."

As the morning sunrise begins to stir the city's consciousness, Lois is still feeling dazed and confused, attempts to find her way back to where she found the wounded man lying unconscious. Upon arriving to the spot where she thought he was, Lois finds that the man has vanished, no traces of blood or of any evidence of anyone having lain there.

Lois, still unable to fathom the events of the previous evening, begins to doubt herself and wonders if she had imagined the whole thing. She makes a frantic search for her cell phone, but to no avail.

Finally, the paramedics arrive on the scene. They take one look at Lois and know that Lois is unaware of the seriousness of her own injuries. The paramedics load Lois into their van, driving her to Metropolis General emergency room. As Lois lies on the gurney, her consciousness meanders in and out until she arrives to Metropolis General. ...

This is intriguing - a very original twist on what could happen after Salvation. PPMS

"Preparation" Chapter 2

Previously in "Preparation” Chapter 1:"

Hours pass, the still quiet of the city devoid of traffic noises arouses the consciousness of Lois Lane as she opens her eyes to find a wounded, man lying in a crumpled heap next to her. Her body wracked with pain, her head spinning, she pulls herself off of the pavement, trying to remember where she had been that night and who this wounded stranger might be. Unable to find her cell phone, she straightens her scarf and leather jacket, staggering around a corner to find a phone booth to call an ambulance for him.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

Lois finds the phone booth where she and "The Blur" first communicated. Lois dials 911 and calls for the ambulance.

911 answers, “911. What is your emergency?''

Lois answers with urgency, "I am Lois Lane a reporter for The Daily Planet. I must have been knocked out by something or someone, because I woke up on the street lying next to a wounded man.

911, "What kinds of wounds does he have?"

Lois replies, "He has what appears to be a long knife cut across his chest and a stab wound on the right side of his abdomen."

911, "What about you? Have you sustained any injuries?” Lois replies, “Aside from pain all over and dizziness, I think I will survive.”

911, “Where are you? What is your location?"

Lois bewildered, replies, "I don't know where I am or how I got here!"

911 asks, "What is the telephone number on the phone you are calling from?"

Lois replies, “Let’s see ... 8-4-3-2-5-8-7." [THE BLUR]

911, "Got it. We will find you. Please return to the wounded man and see if you can do something to stop the bleeding from his wounds. We will be there ASAP."

Lois replies, "Okay, and thank you."

As the morning sunrise begins to stir the city's consciousness, Lois, still feeling dazed and confused, attempts to find her way back to where she found the wounded man lying unconscious. Upon arriving to the spot where she thought he was, Lois finds that the man has vanished, no traces of blood or of any evidence of anyone having lain there.

Lois, still unable to fathom the events of the previous evening, begins to doubt herself and wonders if she had imagined the whole thing. She makes a frantic search for her cell phone, but to no avail.

Finally, the paramedics arrive on the scene. They take one look at Lois and know that Lois is unaware of the seriousness of her own injuries.

The paramedics load Lois into their van, driving her to Metropolis General emergency room. As Lois lies on the gurney, her consciousness meanders in and out until she arrives to Metropolis General.

After the expiration of some hours, Lois finds herself in a quiet, sterile, darkened, private hospital room. She summons the nurse, inquiring of her why she was admitted to the hospital.

The nurse calls the doctor on duty. About thirty minutes later, he arrives to check up on Lois.

Coming into her room with the nurse, he asks Lois, "Well, how you are feeling Miss Lane?"

Lois answers, "As fit as a fiddle, except that I am a little dizzy and I can't seem to remember where I was last night or where I live, after coming to and finding myself lying in the street next to a wounded man."

"Do you have relatives close by who can help you," asks the doctor.

Lois replies, "I have my cousin Chloe. Problem is I couldn't find my cell phone, which has all of my phone numbers in it; even the ones of some of my acquaintances."

The doctor continues, "What about a co-worker or your boss at the Daily Planet?"

Lois lists those who come to her mind, "There's Jeff the intern, Jessie, Perry White, Marcie. How about we call Perry White?" Lois continues, "Maybe he can help me get my bearings. I'll call him.

But I don't remember the phone number to the Daily Planet. Would you be a gem and call him for me? Tell him I will be ready to go when he gets here."

The doctor says, "Whoa, hold on there Miss Lane. We aren't quite ready for you to leave us just yet. We would like to run some tests on you if you don't mind. We need to get you stabilized first.

To do that we just need a little more information from you so we can proceed. Also, you will need to remain here at least one or two days for us to ensure that you have suffered no cranial or other internal injury."

Lois quips, "Well okay, if I have to. But don't ask me to like it. Have you got a newspaper around here? I want to see what's going on in the world today."

A few hours later Perry White arrives to visit Lois in her hospital room. Perry asks, "How are you feeling kiddo?"

Lois replies, "Like I have been in a train wreck." Perry asks, "Do you really know how that feels?"

It is then that Lois can remember something of her past. Lois sits up in her bed and exclaims, "I can remember!

YES, I CAN REMEMBER! I know what that feels like, because I was in the monorail train car nine months ago when it came off of the tracks and it fell toward the street without one person being seriously injured.

But, I don't remember why no one was seriously injured or how the monorail hardly sustained any damage. I remember feeling sore for days on end after that."

Lois continues, "Then this good-looking detective was on the train looking for answers too. I later found out he worked for the Daily Planet. Yes, he sat across from me for a couple of weeks. He was a real heartless guy.

It seems he was a hero hater and had a grudge against some guy because the guy saved a bunch of criminals from the prison out of from a vehicle crash.

One of the ones, who the guy saved, escaped and wound up killing John Corben's sister. That's why he has a grudge against ... I can't remember the guy's name.

So John, hey I can remember him too, John Corben had this major grudge against this guy. But John no longer works at the paper."

Perry relieved that his star reporter's memory is not totally devoid of all past acquaintances and encounters, heaves a sigh of relief and says to Lois, "Only when you feel up to it, I want you to continue working on that story we talked about when I visited you and Clark at Martha Kent's house for dinner; you know that story that you were working on about the alien artifact."

Lois stops him there, "Wait chief. I remember I was working on some alien story, but when did I speak with you about it? Where did this dinner and our supposed conversation take place?"

Perry replies, "At Martha Kent's home in Smallville."

Lois puzzled, replies, "Smallville? Where the hell is Smallville? And who is Martha Kent?"

Perry, troubled by Lois' responses to his questions asks, "You don't remember Smallville and Mrs. Kent?"

Lois retorts, "Hell, I can't even remember where I live. Do I live in an apartment in Metropolis, do I own a house, or am I living out of my car?

I have more questions than answers, Mr. White! One thing I do know, and that is I am a reporter for the great metropolitan newspaper, The Daily Planet, where I have worked for the last four years. ..."

Exasperated, Lois continues, flailing her arms with emphatic gestures, “Chief, I am tired of just lying here. I want to get back into the bull pen and work. Maybe that will help jog my memory so I can make some sense of this hiccup in my memory."

Perry unnerved by Lois' amnesia replies, "I am sorry you have to endure this Lois. Just have a little more patience until the doctors have more information to go on. If you want to, that job offer for the foreign desk assignment is still open.

Maybe if you change the scenery for awhile, hone some of your investigative reporting skills in another culture; it could be the greatest therapy of all. What do you think, are you still interested?"

Lois replies, "I will have to think about it."

Perry replies, "Don't think about it too long Lois, I 've got to fill that slot by the end of next week."

Lois replies, "Okay, chief. Oooh, while I have you here, will you contact my cousin Chloe for me? I lost my cell phone which has her phone number in it.

Perry replies, "Sure Lois." Lois continues, “And while you are there at the Planet, can you pick up and bring for me a laptop with wireless Internet. I want to scan the Internet and see if anyone else has suffered this condition of ... I guess we can call it "Selective Amnesia?"

Perry replies, "All right Lois, I'll see what I can do. You get some rest and I will be back tomorrow around midday."

Lois gratefully replies, "Thanks chief."

Perry kept his word. Returning to Met General the next day with laptop in hand, he hands over to Lois; her cousin Chloe's telephone number saved in a new Planet issued cell phone. Perry chimes in, "This one is on the House."

Lois replies, "Thanks chief. The doctor says I can go "home" tomorrow. I'm going to call Chloe now."

Perry replies, "I get it. Call me when you get home okay?"

Lois replies, "Okay."

Lois dials Chloe's number. It rings several times and goes to voicemail. She tries again. "Come on Chloe, pick up, pick up," urges Lois.

On the fifth try, Chloe answers the phone, "Lois! Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you. I almost called the police to file a missing persons report. Are you all right? Where are you?"

Lois replies with a sigh of relief in her voice, "Chloe, I'm at Met General in a hospital room. It seems I have a mild concussion with cuts and bruises. I feel okay, except ..."

Chloe interrupts, "Except what?"

Lois continues, "I seem to have some new kind of amnesia."

Curious as to what Lois means, Chloe asks intensely, "What do you mean a new kind of amnesia???"

Lois continues, "It seems that I can recall and remember certain events and some persons, whereas the mention of others to me draws a complete void, blank, nada, nothing.

Like yesterday, Perry White told me that he visited me at Martha Kent's house. I don't remember who Martha Kent is; don't know where she lives, so how could I have eaten dinner there with Perry White? Sometimes, I think he just makes this stuff up just to rattle me."

Chloe replies with shock and surprise in her voice, "You mean to tell me, you don't remember Mrs. K? That's what you call her. She always says for you to call her Martha."

Lois replies, "See what I mean? I don't recall anything about a Martha Kent at all."

Chloe replies, "And what about Clark?" Lois replies, "Clark? Clark who?"

Chloe, can't believe her ears replying with incredulity in her voice, "You don't remember Clark Kent, Martha Kent's son for cryin' out loud?

"I'm sorry Chloe, I don't!" Lois replies emphatically.

Chloe pauses in deafening silence. Lois can't stand that uncomfortable silence and wonders if the call was dropped, "Chloe? Chloe?
    CH-LO-E!" answers Lois.

Lois continues, "Chloe, don't hang up on me please. I don't know where to go when I leave the hospital, because I can't recall where I live. Will you help me?

Everything is so frustrating because there is little I can compare to the other broken fragments of my memory - except yesterday when I talked with Perry about the crash in the monorail and about John Corben. But that's all I can remember of the past right now."

"Sure Lois," Chloe replies. "Just call me when you think they will be releasing you and I will pick you up."

Grateful, Lois replies, "Thank you so much, Chloe!"

The next day, Chloe picks up Lois from the hospital and drives her to the Talon in Smallville.

As they drive in silence, Lois scans the countryside and quips, "I can't believe that we live in 'Podunkville, Chloe."

Chloe chuckles and exclaims, "Yes. We live right smack dab in the middle of downtown 'Podunkville!"

Arriving to the Talon, Lois looks at her surroundings and gazes about as if this was her first time ever setting foot in Smallville. Chloe asks, "Do you see anything familiar?"

Lois replies, "I can see why this place is forgettable." Intrigued, Chloe asks Lois, "Why do you say that Lois?" Lois retorts with her usual sarcasm, "I mean look at this tiny town in the midst of a cluster of farms and farmhouses. What is there to do here?"

Chloe acknowledges, "I believe Lois, that's why they call it Smallville."

Lois replies, "Yeah. Right. Of course!"

After settling down in the apartment, Lois' eagerness to explore the Talon’s treasure trove of refreshment goodies moves her to say, "Let's go downstairs and get a double mocha latte with a maple donut."

As they sip their latte`s, and Lois savors her maple donut, Chloe does her best not to overload Lois with too much information.

But, Lois always the investigative reporter continues to seek answers and won't rest until she can find satisfying answers. She pressures Chloe into driving her to the Kent Farm to learn who this family is she is supposed to have known for years now.

Lois finds it incredible that she would not remember something as wonderful as the Farmhouse. As she strolled around its perimeter she sensed a warm cozy aura emanating from its interior even though the occupants were not at home.

Lois asks Chloe, "Do you have a key?" Chloe replies, "Yes. Do you want to go inside?"

Eager to uncover whatever truths about her past life with the Kents she could find, Lois answers with glee, "Yes! Let's see what treasures we can discover!"

They enter into the immaculately kept kitchen area where arrays of herbs, spices and cooking utensils stand ready to be called into the service of the cooking pot; the smell of freshly brewed coffee from the morning still mixed into the grain of the wooden cabinets. The fruit bowl saving the last banana for the fruit fly.

Lois glides her fingers sensually along the counter top absorbing the sensation of the smooth texture of polished granite. She strolls to the living room and plunges into the deep recesses of the divan, swimming in the textures and deep hues of the time worn fabric.

Her daydream opens up to a warm, crackling red oak fire dancing in the fireplace in the frost cold of winter; snuggling up on the couch, wrapped in a familiar pattern of plaid flannel shirt, enjoying the hot beverage her lover prepared to warm the cockles of her soul.

As Lois tours the lower level of the house, the calm and serenity of this fortress of solitude awakens in her thoughts about arising from a night of blissful slumber to enjoy a quiet cup of coffee as she basks in the golden rays of the morning sun; ready to whip up into a tasty meal the gathered harvest of the morning farm yard, in preparation for the new day.

Her mind's eye, unfolds before her impressions as viewed through a soft lens camera effect, her man descending the stairs from their love nest above to greet his sweetheart good morning, with a loving embrace and light peck on her cheek.

Lois is suddenly shaken, terrified, out of her daydream when the face of the man descending the stairs is blank without facial features.

Chloe notices Lois' countenance changes from peaceful to disturbed. Chloe urges Lois, "It was maybe too soon coming here. Let's go Lois."

They leave the serenity of the Farmhouse as Chloe drives Lois back to the Talon. After their arrival, Lois says to Chloe, "I think I am going to turn in early Chloe."

Chloe replies, "Sure Lois. If you need something, just call me. I'm a phone call away." Lois replies, "Thanks Chloe," as she hugs Chloe and gives her cheek an air kiss. ...

The next day Lois awakens feeling refreshed from a restful night's sleep and the brewing coffee that Chloe set up for her. Lois enjoys her morning coffee with breakfast reading the Smallville newspaper, readying herself for her first day back at the Planet after spending some days at Met General and touring Smallville.

Upon her arrival, the basement level of the Planet is abuzz as usual with the flurry of interns, helpers and reporters gathering material for the next day's edition of the Daily Planet. Jeff and a number of other interns as well as other reporters welcome Lois back to the bull pen. Lois calls Perry White's extension to inform him of her return.

Mr. White responds to Lois, "Welcome back Lois! Will you please come see me in my office?"

Apprehensive about the nature of her visit to Perry White’s office, Lois inquisitively asks, "What did I do now chief?"

Perry replies, "Come to my office and we will discuss your new assignment."

The pit of Lois stomach fills with quivering anticipation like a million butterflies as she makes her way to Perry White's office.

Mr. White cordially invites Lois in as she knocks at the door, "Come in Lois, come in. Have a seat. Lois would you like some sparkling water or coffee?" Lois replies, "Coffee please, chief." Perry requests of Marcie, "Marcie will you please get Lois a cup of black coffee and some sparkling water for me?" Marcie respectfully replies, "Yes, Mr. White."

Hopeful that Lois' memory loss won't impact her work at the Planet, Perry White asks Lois, "How are you feeling Lois?"

"Thank you chief. I feel great! Even the dizziness is gone. I guess I needed some days off and some uninterrupted sleep. Nothing like a good couple of days' rest eh, chief? Lois replies.

Perry continues, "That is what I wanted to talk to you about Lois. I was thinking, if you had decided in favor of taking the foreign assignment that you should take some days off, you know, in preparation of your new desk job.”

I want you to look at this as you would investigating a story. This will be your assignment: Fly to Kenya, to Nairobi, and find an apartment, if you can, in the journalist district.

If you need assistance, go meet and get to know some of the Planet's staff at the foreign desk. They will help you get set up with transportation and everything you need to handle your everyday tasks. That is of course, if you want the assignment."

Lois replies enthusiastically, "Want the assignment? Of course I want the assignment! Why would I not want the foreign desk assignment?

Anyone would be foolish to turn down an opportunity like this one! I have no one that I am in a relationship with right now, so now would be the best time."

Mr. White wants to ensure her budding romance with Clark will not impact her determination. So he asks for confirmation, “Are you sure there is no one holding you back? I mean I would understand if that’s why you might decline the offer.”

Surprised at Perry’s skepticism, Lois replies, “Nope. I am free as the wind to pursue this assignment. I think it will help me to grow as a person.”

Acknowledging her affirmative response, Mr. White replies, "Well, all right then.

Now there is one thing I want you to do before you go full steam ahead. Right after you get set up with your apartment and such, I would like you to report to a specialist I have called at a clinic in Switzerland.

The specialist is Doctor Werner Schwyzerdeutsch. He helped a dear friend of mine cope with a similar memory loss experience. He said, he would be willing to take your appointment at short notice.

He seems to think that your type of memory loss is the result of exposure to a certain kind of blue radioactive meteor rock."

Lois interrupts, "What? BLUE, RADIOACTIVE, METEOR ROCK?!"

Perry replies, "Yes, Lois. He has seen the effects of it in at least two other people. One person was my dear friend. The other patient was from Canada.

He has had success in restoring almost totally the long term and some short term memory loss associated with the exposure to that radioactive element.

He will just need to examine you and run some specialized tests to determine a customized therapy."

Lois, intrigued, queries, "And who is going to pay for all of this?"

Perry replies, "The Daily Planet of course!"

Not believing that the Planet would really foot the bill, Lois asks suspiciously, "Why would the Daily Planet go to such trouble for little old me?"

Perry replies, because we love you Lois. You are our TOP investigative reporter. We believe you deserve the best treatment money can buy! But this is just between us and the Board of Shareholders."

Touched, Lois replies, Oh chief, I could give you a great big hug.

Perry chuckles, "That's okay Lois, and you don't have to do that, but thank you for the thought."

Lois asks, "So when can I start to make the transition?"

Perry replies, you can start today if you want. We have hired a new reporter, Catherine Grant is her name. She likes to be called ‘Cat.’ She will be in day after tomorrow morning, so you can start filling her in on all our procedures.

Then in a couple of days you can start the paperwork with Human Resources.

After you return to the foreign desk from your therapy sessions in Switzerland, in about three weeks after that, I want you to return to the Planet in Metropolis for one last assignment here."

Lois respectfully replies, Thank you Mr. White. I really appreciate this."

Mr. White replies, "You are welcome. You deserve it. Oh, and Lois, “Lois replies, "Chief?"

Perry continues, "When we are among ourselves and in the meetings, I would like that you call me Perry. But when we are in the newsrooms and around the interns and reporters, that's when you should use, Mr. White or chief as you like to call me."

Lois replies, "Yes Mr. White, I mean chief, uh I mean Perry."

Perry sends her on her way and says, "Okay, Lois, it's time you got down to business."

Lois respectfully replies, "Yes sir, Mr. White. And, thank you!"

Excited and elated, Lois Lane floats on air as she returns to her familiar place in the bull pen. She looks at all of the portraits of her and the Dalai Lama and countless other celebrities she had the privilege of interviewing.

She reflects on her first days at the Planet when her cousin Chloe worked there. As she collects her belongings from her desk, she senses something important is missing in her life connected to this place and recent past events, but she cannot pin it down.

Jeff and Marcie having heard the news from upstairs, come visit Lois at her desk to rejoice with her about her new assignment.

Jeff rings out, "Congratulations Lois on your new assignment at the foreign desk! You really deserve it."

Lois swells with pride as she replies with a heartfelt, "Thank you."

Then Jeff asks Lois, "Have you told Clark the news?" Lois tersely replies, "Clark? Clark who? Is there a Clark who works here too?"

Jeff replies with a chuckle, "Come on Lois, you know Clark; the one who gives you daily puppy dog eyes; the one who takes you out to the cafe across the street for those romantic lunches; the Clark that has taken you to your favorite Monster Truck rallies? You know, Clark Kent!"

Lois visibly irritated fires back, “There’s that name again. Who the hell is Clark Kent? Another one of Perry's flunkies? Oh, brother give me a break will ya?"

Jeff retorts, "Okay Lois, I will play your little game. He lives in a small town? ... S-m-a-l-l ... ville!? Come on Lois, you're are going to act like he doesn't exist, okay we get it. You're going to sneer at him because you got the assignment and he didn't. Boy, I bet he's going to be 'thrilled' about that!"

Lois replies quietly, "I'm sorry Jeff; I'm a little on edge today. After that knock on my noggin, I'm having trouble remembering all things having to do with the Family named Kent. First with a Martha Kent and now a Clark Kent. I also have a slight headache and maybe a little PMS."

Jeff replies, "Sorry Lois, I didn't mean to rial you up. Do you need help with anything?"

"Yes Jeff, Lois thankfully replies, "Would you be a dear and help me bring these boxes of my desk stuff to my car?"

Jeff replies, "Sure Lois. You know I'm going to miss you around here ... we all will."

Lois with a little lump in her throat quietly replies, "I will miss all of you too!"

To be continued...
    Last edited by DLNCFAN1; 08-10-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Oh oh Lois is leaving, she doesn't know who Clark is, Clark is MIA and I gettin a headache!!!! she needs to see the bumbling farmboy and remenber.......
    Update soon i need to know what's going to happen next!!!!

Who the hell is Clark Kent?

Oh the humanity! - How can this be? - this is a job for "Super... " - oh sorry 'bout that, he's dead isn't he - he hasn't been brought back to life -

Better do something about this REALLY QUICKLY -

altho, after "bride" let Clark BUST - lol

Nice job, keep it coming !

ppms

I think it's interesting that the blue k not only affected Clark but Lois as well. I really like that little twist. Then again, she's been hit on the head so many times that I'm surprised she didn't already have brain damage. It's so sad that she not only doesn't remember the woman she thinks of as a second mother, but the man who's her soul mate. I enjoyed this update very much.

Going where I want instead of where I should
    another really good update ray

for once lois actually stayed in the hospital after getting hit in the noggin. i found it interesting chloe didn't make a call to mrs k to let her know what happened. my curiosity has been raised by the other person in canada who had a similar problem as Lois.

the trip to the kent farm seemed to jar something but they left kinda quick.

i'm looking forward to clarks reaction when he finds out she took the assignment. that conversation between him and perry should intense i would imagine

looking forward to the next update

Ppms!

"Preparation" Chapter 3

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay with replies to your feedback and an update. I have been swamped with work and, my puppies dug up and chewed through my Internet cables last week. I just got back online today, so here is my latest update. I hope it will be an enjoyable read. Feedback is always welcome. =}:-)

Previously in "Preparation" Chapter One

“Tomorrow will be a trying day. I can't wait to get back to work and figure out a way to help Lois get her memory back.”

Clark opens his eyes to the golden rays of the early dawn piercing through the morning mist hovering just above the ground like a fine white band of gauze stretched out over the landscape, the roosters echoing their beckon to the hens that they are ready to perpetuate the circle of life.

Clark's thoughts open his mind to the time when he relished the familiar aromas of early dawn farm life - a time when the pace of life seemed to crawl along at a snail's pace as he whipped through all of his early morning preparation for each new day of life on the Kent family farm.

He fondly remembers the loving counsel his parents shared with him when he needed guidance about how to use his emerging abilities as they shape his human-Kryptonian personality and how to fit all of it within the scope of everyday Smallville culture. He missed their loving embrace and the parental love that became an anchor for his soul.

Clark finally begins to fathom all of what he is about to accept as his responsibility, he has set his face as determined to accept his role as a hope for all of humankind. He rouses himself out of the relaxed and subdued life in the "granny lane," saying goodbye in his heart to the life he is about to leave behind forever.

Clark refreshed himself with one last hot shower at home as part of his preparation for his move to Metropolis.

As the water trickles down his muscular torso, his mind wanders back to the time when Lois bolted into the bathroom to get a towel to dry her hair. He retorted to her in his thoughts, ‘Lois, we always take turns in the bathroom.'

He recalls his glance at her long, shapely legs, she clad in only one of his flannel shirts. It was all he could do to control himself then.

Now, thinking about her not remembering who he is or anything about their budding romance and their teamwork together at the paper ... upsets him so much that he shakes himself out of his thoughts, he builds a steely determination in his heart to find a way to help Lois remember their cherished moments together.

With that, he super speeds out of the shower, into his clothes, packing his belongings in a huge crate. He gives Ben Hubbard a phone call to thank him for helping with the Farm and bids him farewell.

Clark packs all of his things into his pickup truck and takes one last look at the place where he grew up. He turns his attention toward his future, getting in the pickup truck and driving on his way to the ‘Big Apricot,’ Metropolis.

Clark makes a short stop at the Daily Planet to meet with the City Editor to get an assignment. On his way out, he passes Lois’ desk and notices her name placard is missing. Instead, one that reads "Cat Grant" stands in its place. Clark feels uneasiness inside, he misses his partner, and no one can or will tell him anything of her whereabouts.

Clark is determined to talk to Mr. White about this, but first he is to meet with a prospective property owner for renting an apartment in Metropolis. Clark drives to midtown Metropolis arriving at 344 Clinton Street.

The property owner is getting out of her car as Clark pulls in a parking spot in front of the building. The property owner is an attractive young executive who reminds Clark of a movie star featured in of one the old 1930’s black and white gangster movies.

She cordially greets Clark with a firm handshake welcoming him to the apartment building.

They ride the elevator to the third floor. She escorts Clark down the hall to number 3D, opening the door to an old-style, dingy apartment. Clark is surprised at how rundown looking it is. He scans through the entire apartment using his x-ray vision to find any potential problems with the plumbing or the woodwork.

Satisfied that the problems with the apartment are purely cosmetic, Clark says, “I’ll take it!” He signs the rental agreement, pays his deposit, gets his receipt, rules and sets of keys. He reassures the property owner that he will keep his music down and notify the neighbors in advance of any parties he will throw.

After the property owner leaves, Clark unloads his belongings and arranges them at super speed placing each piece exactly where they should go. Subsequently, he makes his way to the hardware store to get some paint, drywall, lumber and a number of other sundry things he will use to make his new apartment a comfortable retreat where even Lois could feel at home.

Upon his return to the apartment, Clark super speeds through each phase of the work and is finished in less than an hour. The property owner returns to Clark's apartment to let him know about some electrical outlets needing repair. Clark opens the door and the property owner is surprised to see new paint already on the walls.

As the property owner walks in, she is flabbergasted and almost faints at the sight of a fully furnished and renovated apartment. She wants to ask how that is possible, but then decides against it realizing that whatever he will say will be too incredible to believe, so she just shakes her head like she was in a daze, bids farewell to Clark and makes her way to the street.

After applying the last touches to the apartment, he prepares his mind for his reporting assignment. He locks the apartment entry door with an additional Kryptonian seal he developed for keeping out the criminal element, especially since this is where his "new uniform" will be stored.

Before leaving to carry out his assignment, Clark calls the Planet to make an appointment to see Perry White in his office. He parks the truck in a park house a block away. As he walks toward the stairwell to super speed off to do his assignment, Clark hears cries for help in the distance.

He finds a spot underneath the stairwell in the basement of the park house, changing into his yellow, blue and red caped suit. This is the first time he will wear his new colorful symbol of hope in public.

He flies off to where his super-hearing has helped him pinpoint the unfolding disaster. As Clark gradually makes his way to the accident site, he scans the entire area from afar to figure out how to rescue all involved and how to keep his Clark identity from being recognized.

Upon his arrival, Clark assesses the situation quickly, bundling together all the spectators and construction workers in the area in a vortex vacuum moving them out of harm's way to a safer location a city block away.

He quickly returns to scoop up the underpinnings of a construction crane and the crane itself as it collapses from its position atop one of the new skyscrapers under construction.

Clark carefully balances the whole structure to protect the crane operator inside, setting the crane and its operator down in a field on the outskirts of Metropolis.

He extracts the man from the crane operator's cabin asking if he is all right. The man replies that he is okay. Clark returns him to the job site at lightning speed, quickly scanning the location of the underpinning of where the crane was located to a spot where the concrete, rebar and fastening anchors were failing.

He approaches the site manager and reports his findings to him, telling him the crane and underpinnings are located in a protected place so investigators may determine the cause of the collapse.

All the while, his saving acts are taking place; people have been taking photos with their cell phones, cameras and video cameras and sending them through the Internet to TV stations, newspaper reporters and newspapers including the Planet.

Ensuring that all are safe from the disaster, Clark super speeds away to change back into his "civvies" at the Planet. He phones in to the City Editor the exclusive eyewitness reports from the Blur's point of view, then went on to carry out his own assignment.

Upon Clark's arrival back at the Planet, he has a note on his desk to go to Perry White's office. Before he can get there, a beautiful, shapely, blonde-haired woman with crystal blue eyes steps up behind Clark holding out her hand to introduce herself. As Clark turns to face her, she belts out a “wolfie whistle;” the kind that a man usually belts out to flatter an attractive woman, coyly asking, "Mr. Kent I presume?"

Clark nervously replies as he turns to shake her outstretched hand, "Um, er, y-yes. And you must be … Ms. Catherine Grant." She becomes flustered and nervously bats her eyes as her knees become weak; her heartbeat accelerating as she focuses on the handsome specimen of a man he is, she politely replies, "You may call me Cat."

Clark returning her cordial exchange, replies, "Well, I am pleased to meet you Ms. Grant, uh, I mean Ms. Cat... uh, I mean Cat. Listen, I would like to get better acquainted with you, but I have an important appointment with Mr. White." Ms. Grant replies, "Oh you mean the Chief Editor?"

Clark with urgency replies, "Yes. We will talk later,” his voice trailing off as he dashes to the elevator.

Clark’s thoughts run back through the day's activities as he enters alone into the elevator. As the car makes its way slowly to the upper offices, Clark's thoughts return to when Lois reached over to take his hand in her's as they were going to take things slow and become a couple.

He still cannot believe that she has no recollection of him and those moments of affection she shared with him as the emotional walls between them gradually began to disappear.

Suddenly, the elevator "bings," returning Clark back to reality, his thoughts now focusing on what he wants to discuss with Perry White.

As Clark approaches Mr. White's door, Mr. White opens the door abruptly and welcomes Clark in, "Come on in Clark, good to see you son. Say, that was a great eyewitness report you gave out there at that construction site!

We might get a Pulitzer out of you yet! Nevertheless, I am curious as to why you were in that part of town when the assignment to interview the new fire chief had you going in an opposite direction. Do you have an explanation for that?"

Clark now has to come up with an "alibi" to explain his whereabouts. "Well, Mr. White, I was out shopping for furniture for my new apartment when I happen to see the Blur in action. Therefore, I remained to get all the details.

After it was all over and it was over quickly, that is when I called in the story. I left off buying the furniture for another time and decided I had better get over to interview the fire chief before it got too late."

Perry replies, “Well that's what I wanted to talk to you about Kent. You were late to the interview! I distinctly remember you having once said to Jimmy Olsen, “A good reporter gets the news - and gets it first!

But there’s more to a being a reporter than that. He lives by the deadline! The thunder of the presses is the pounding of his heart! And most important – all his personal feelings remain in the background! It’s his story that counts! Always remember that!”

That is a fine attitude to have Mr. Kent, but if you are going to “talk the walk, you must walk the talk.” In other words, talk is cheap unless you are actually doing what you encourage others to do.

It makes our organization look bad when we are not on time to an interview. It tells our clients that our time is more valuable than theirs is. That is not the way we here at the Planet feel.

The shareholders will begin to wonder what kind of operation I am running around here. That is why you need to step up your game my boy!

That is how I got to where I am today running this grand old newspaper. If you really believe that what you told Jimmy, you need to really focus more on being the first one there every time!

Since you were the first one to report about the Blur today, giving us the report from his perspective, I want you to shadow the Blur, find out more about him. See if you can get an interview with him.

May be you and the Blur can work together as a team. I want you to work at rooting out the local news, particularly stories dealing with crime and corruption.

It is good that Lois has gone to the foreign desk. After that debacle at the club with Ray Sachs, you were within an inch of losing forever your life in journalism Mr. Kent. Lois too.

Thankfully, Mr. Stern saw how good a team you and Lois had been for awhile. Therefore, he decided to give you another chance. However, it was only at my behest. So, you owe me one.

When I accompanied your Mother to dinner at the Farm, and spoke with Lois at length is when I saw how great an investigative reporter she has become. She had been working on a story about a recently discovered alien artifact.

I also had been working on the same discovery from a very different angle. After she showed me her research, that is when I knew that she has real talent to unearth even the most buried of news treasures.

We compared facts and it was as if we had corroborated on the same story. There was a new lead found in Africa pertaining to one who allegedly had advance knowledge of the alien artifact and its purpose. I knew Lois would ace this article and could find the facts. That is why I offered her an assignment at the foreign desk.

She is to date; my best investigative reporter and I want her to remain that way. Why else do you think I split up your team? I think you were too much of a distraction for Lois.

Lois is also too much of a distraction for you. I have sent her away to the foreign desk and you are not to go looking for her while she is on her assignments Mr. Kent, is that clear?

If you want to make a name for yourself and find it above the fold, you have to go forward with the same gusto that you were so enthusiastically telling Jimmy about, something that you are sorely lacking in right now.

I am assigning you to the Police Beat. That will be part of your regular assignment. The other part is to work on punctuality to all of your assignments and deadlines.

And, one more thing Kent. You will be working to help Ms. Grant integrate into the company culture of the Planet and, I want you to help her on some of her stories as well. Now what was it you wanted to see me about?"

Overwhelmed at Perry's mandates and his order to keep away from Lois while she is at work, Clark sheepishly replies, "Well, Mr. White, I was shocked that you contemplated sending her anywhere in view of her recent head injury and subsequent loss of memory."

Mr. White replies, "Well, I had my reservations about that but, Lois assured me she never felt better except for the intermittent intense headaches she has been having. After describing some of her symptoms to me, it has become apparent she had been exposed to some blue-colored radioactive meteor rock."

Taken aback by Mr. White’s comment, Clark interrupts, "Blue meteor rocks! How do you know?

Mr. White continues, "Well, she is exhibiting some of the same symptoms that a dear friend of mine exhibited some years ago such as extreme loss of key memories in the distant and recent past; accompanied by intermittent intense headaches.

It took me a long time to find a doctor who could treat her. But the doctor did finally find a therapy to help her get her memory back."

Clark breathing a sigh of relief that someone could actually help Lois get her memory back, he asks, "Was your friend's memory totally restored?"

Mr. White replies, "Well, most of it. I would say her memory is restored to a point regarding all of the meaningful events of her life. I mean we all lose parts of our memory over time anyway."

Clark asks with eager anticipation, "What is the name of this doctor?"

Mr. White restraining himself, replies, "I am not at liberty to divulge his name to you. Only, I can tell you that he will be treating Lois in some week’s time after she gets herself established in her foreign assignment."

Clark exhibits his frustration with Mr. White and retorts, "So this is your way of turning me into a great reporter by hindering me from helping the woman I love?"

Perry shrugging his shoulders replies tersely, "Great Caesar’s ghost Kent, what are you going to do? She doesn't know that you exist, except what she has heard from her cousin and from some of her work colleagues.

It seems to me, that if I recall correctly during my dinner visit at the Farm, she was breaking up with you.

When I asked her about her really wanting this assignment and if there was no one holding her back, she firmly replied, there is no one that she is emotionally attached to except her cousin Chloe and her sister Lucy, and, that this is the opportunity of a lifetime, how could she turn it down. She made no mention of any existing relationship with anyone, especially not one with you.

Have you given thought to what may happen if you try to intervene in any way, especially when she is undergoing the treatment? It could create some adverse side effects and possibly hinder or destroy any progress she has made. Would you really want to cause her that kind of harm?

If you really love her Mr. Kent, you will respect my decision and leave her alone. I know it is tough and heart wrenching. I lost my wife to a debilitating disease some years back. I still feel that pain every day.

Lois has a chance with this treatment. So far, the doctor has successfully treated all of the ones affected by this blue meteor rock. Nevertheless, as with any experimental treatment and the unknowns that accompany it, there are no guarantees.

In the meantime, you should focus on improving your work, man and boy. You will see the time pass quickly. One day you may well have your old Lois back. But for now you are going to have to let her go."

Frustrated and agitated at the same time, Clark mumbles under his breath to Perry White, "All right, Mr. White, you win. Thanks, for your time."

Mr. White bidding Clark farewell as he walks out the door reassures Clark, “Everything will get better son! Continue to believe that. Now get to work."

Clark sarcastically salutes Mr. White and replies, “Yes chief!” Mr. White gruffly retorts, “Don’t call me chief!”

Feeling defeated and a bit saddened as he returns to his desk, Clark watches Ms. Grant begin to pack her briefcase and prepare to go home. He asks her if she would like to go for a refreshment across the street before going home. She graciously accepts his invitation and they both walk out of the Planet's employee entrance at the top of the stairs.

Across the street in the cafe, Clark attempts conversation with Ms. Grant to get to know her a little better before settling in to work for the next day.

As Ms. Grant starts to bubble forth everything about where she hails from to her journalistic milestones, her conversation fades into the background as Clark’s mind takes him to the last time he and Lois sat at this very table in engaging conversation.

He remembers looking across the table to her and admiring the contours of her lovely face, patiently listening to her fast-paced, animated expression of the last adventure they shared.

He thinks to himself, ‘Oh, how I wish I could sit across my beautiful, sweet, impulsive Lois and gaze into her deep hazel eyes. I miss the perfume of her skin, the softness of her wonderful, full lips, the warmth of her loving embrace. I think she is ‘The One.’ Lois makes me feel complete especially when I am with her; I think she really is the one who is my perfect match…’

Ms. Grant senses that Clark's mind is somewhere far from their current reality and she wistfully inquires, “Mr. Kent. Thinking about someone special?"

Clark shakes himself out of his thoughts and replies, "Huh? Oh. Someone special? Yes…, someone very special and dear to my heart... I haven't seen her for days and now I won't be able to see her for quite some time."

Cat replies, "Why, what has happened to her?"

Clark wistfully replies, "She had an accident and lost some of her memory. She has to go for treatment and therapy and I will not be allowed to see her until she recovers and it's driving me crazy.

You and I are sitting at the table where we always sit when we come here. I am sorry Ms. Grant; all these memories came flooding back, so I almost thought you were Lois..."

Putting her hand on Clark's shoulder Cat replies sympathetically, "That's okay Mr. Kent. Whoever she is, she is a very lucky woman."

Clark replies in return, "Thank you Ms. Grant. It is getting late and I have some work to do this evening. May I walk you to your car?"

Ms. Grant replies, "Why, how thoughtful of you Mr. Kent."

Clark politely replies, "Oh, you can call me Clark."

Ms. Grant cordially replies, "Okay Clark. Thank you. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow."

Clark replies with his full - partial attention as his super hearing picks up a disaster brewing, "Yes, tomorrow. Good night, Ms. Grant um, I mean Cat."

Clark briskly walks some distance away as he super-changes into his red, blue and yellow and speeds off to his next saving act...

To be continued ...
    Last edited by DLNCFAN1; 09-23-2010 at 07:22 AM.

ppms

Wow, Ray, that update got seriously romantic considering Lois wasn't even in it. And I liked Perry's talk - he didn't pause for breath!

all of the meaningful events of her life
    I hope this (^) will be significant when Lois gets her memories back.

PPMS

God!!!! Perry was very rough and intense with his speech......
    Poor Clark, I hope Lois recover her memory =)
    PPMS!!!!!!!!

"Preparation" Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by MariVe View Post
    God!!!! Perry was very rough and intense with his speech......
    Poor Clark, I hope Lois recover her memory =)
    PPMS!!!!!!!!
    I was trying to write Perry White according to past incarnations of him in the comics and the movies while still keeping him up to date.

With this next update we will see if Lois can remember Clark, because he may get to have some alone time with her.

I am hoping we can see that kind of development from their next encounter. We will just have to wait and see. Thanks for your feedback. It also helps fuel new ideas.

=}:-)

"Preparation" Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Schatzie View Post
    Wow, Ray, that update got seriously romantic considering Lois wasn't even in it. And I liked Perry's talk - he didn't pause for breath!

I hope this (^) will be significant when Lois gets her memories back.

PPMS
    Thank you Schatzie. It is interesting to me that you saw a serious romance part in it.

This kind of feedback really helps with getting ideas for the story.

Steve (Cygnusx1) for example, helped inspire me to write an intense dialogue between Clark and Perry White. Based on your feedback, that idea has seemed to work for the story.

Perry White in Superman II was quite the "motor mouth" if I recall correctly. Some of the dialogue from that movie made its way into his discussion with Clark in this piece.

I have just finished another update which I will be posting today. I tried to keep it short (less than 11 pages in Word) but the ideas for this one just kept coming. I hope you will like it too. :=}:-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast