No announcement yet.

Grade Season 9 of Smallville

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen better.

They assassinated Clark Kent's character. Lois had way more screen time than Chloe, which didn't work for me at all. In several eps, Lois had more screen time than CLARK. Really??

And with the invented "hero" The Blur... that was weak, IMO.

Also, destroying the longstanding Chlark friendship, and to have Ollie suddenly pining over Lois, just to put Clark closer to Lois...cheap tricks to me.

Let a relationship develop on its own and stand on its own two feet. Don't hurt other characters to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by kryptotrite
      I've seen better.

They assassinated Clark Kent's character. Lois had way more screen time than Chloe, which didn't work for me at all. In several eps, Lois had more screen time than CLARK. Really??

And with the invented "hero" The Blur... that was weak, IMO.

Also, destroying the longstanding Chlark friendship, and to have Ollie suddenly pining over Lois, just to put Clark closer to Lois...cheap tricks to me.

Let a relationship develop on its own and stand on its own two feet. Don't hurt other characters to do so.
      You have some very interesting points, here, kryptotrite. I agree with parts of what you said and will respectfully disagree with others. I don't think they assassinated Clark's character, as he seemed far more proactive in taking on the super-hero/protector role in this season (and Season 8) than he ever had before, and I actually didn't mind the "Blur." He's experimenting with his heroic identity, trying to figure out what works best.

On the other hand, I'm totally with you on the destruction of the "longstanding Chlark friendship." I did not appreciate that element of Season 9 at all, and it'd better be fully fixed up in the short number of appearances that Chloe will have in Season 10, or I will not be a happy, satisfied Smallville viewer. I liked Lois having increased screentime, but I thought it should've been a little more even with Chloe's, considering she's been Clark's BFF for so long, and is the only other remaining character who was there since Season 1. I also thought that there were a few episodes where Clark didn't get quite enough screentime. Oliver did seem to jump from Lollie to Chlollie pretty quickly, and I've already said that I feel like Clois was a bit of a lightswitch change for Clark since he was only recently getting over Clana in Season 8's "Requiem." Still, Clois was a better relationship than some that have taken place in this show's run, and Chlollie gives Chloe some happiness, so those two elements aren't that bad.

This season still did leave a little to be desired in particular areas, true (namely all things Chloe and Chlark), but it could have been a whole lot worse...

Comment

I will have to say, I REALLY enjoyed this season. Was a B+, A- for me.

What worked for me:

The tension between Chloe and Clark. LOVED IT! IT MADE SENSE. Her husband was dead, she and Clark felt guilty about it, and they didn't trust each other. MAde a lot of sens story-wise, even though it upset some folk. But it wouldn't make sense if they were chummy again after all that happened.

Lois--- LOVED Lois. It was like TPTB tried to take all the various incarnations of Lois (who tended to be somewhat different from each other) and turn her into one. Which worked rather well. The only bad for me was that I WANTED MORE LOIS! But Lois has always been a role model and hero of mine since childhood. And I simply adored ED's take of the character. And watching her investigate with all those costumes (ala the comics) and seeing her be a hero in her own right (ala the comics), it brought a huge smile to my face!

Clark-- this Clark was more of Superman than I have seen in YEARS on this show. He isn't there yet, but he is somewhat closer. It would have been better to see him do his own research, and leave JSA out of the loop more. Sorry, Superman is a solo hero FIRST.

Oliver-- I have to admit, the character grew on me. Still would like to shoot him in the back, but not lethally. Which is what I wanted to do at the end of season 8.

Tess-- I LOVED TESS! She was a girl trying to play all sides of the field. I never knew what she was up to, and the motivation. She kept me on my feet. I'm going ot miss her. And I never did get what I wanted: MORE LoTESS action. Those 2 women scorched my TV screen whenever they interacted. Too bad there wasn't a kiss....

THE MOVIE EVENT ROCKED!!!! Loved it.

ZOD-- loved him! There was a part of me that understood where he was coming from, even though I knew he was the bad guy.

Martian Manhunter-- I LOVE HIM! My only complaint---NOT ENOUGH OF HIM!

Metallio-- Loved him! He appeared just enough. Not to much.

Wonder Twins--- I loved the Wonder Twins. I want them to make a return visit. Bring Gleek this time!

What didn't work
        Chloe being as dark as she was....Just when I thought I was liking the character again, she does things so low and underhanded that I cannot justify it at all. The trap to get Oliver back in hero mode, the cameras, the hiding of information, etc. Again, at the beginning of season 9 (just like 8) I started to like her, and by the end of season 9 (just like 8), I wanted her to be put out of her (and my) misery. I wanted her dead. It seemed to me she hasn't learn a DARN thing from season 8. I'm so glad she is going to be a guest-star in s10. Maybe I will like her for an entire season. That hasn't happen in some time now

Some of the episodes. Kandor started out good, then left me scratching my head.

Clark--- Clark doesn't need ANYONE to do his research! He is the SMARTEST member of the JLA. What the ^&**^& , let him SHINE! Don't want to see him running to anyone for research material. He could do it in less than 1 minute flat.

Martha--- loved her coming back to the show for a visit. HATED HER BEING THE QUEEN! She is not underhanded. She raised the man who will become SUPERMAN, for Pete's sake.

Comment

The only thing i didnt understand was in Upgrade, when chloe put lois to sleep. It just didnt feel right. Thats really the only problem i had.

Comment

Originally posted by abbaspice1
            I will have to say, I REALLY enjoyed this season. Was a B+, A- for me.
            I enjoyed it more than I originally thought I would, for sure. I feel better about giving it a B than I did originally, 'cause I think I was pretty close to declaring it a C-worthy season.

What worked for me:

The tension between Chloe and Clark. LOVED IT! IT MADE SENSE. Her husband was dead, she and Clark felt guilty about it, and they didn't trust each other. MAde a lot of sens story-wise, even though it upset some folk. But it wouldn't make sense if they were chummy again after all that happened.
            Well, while I agree that it wouldn't have made sense for them to immediately be chummy again after everything that had happened between the two of them, I felt like the tension dragged on for TOO long. I wouldn't have minded if it had been prevalent during the first story arc, but I wanted it GONE after the lessons that Clark and Chloe were SUPPOSED to learn from what the Justice Society told them, and what they saw in the "Pandora" future. It was time for them to reunite as more of a team, not continue to hold grudges and keep secrets. A little bit of tension is fine, but keeping things strained and painful between the two of them for an entire year was... just too much for me.

Lois--- LOVED Lois. It was like TPTB tried to take all the various incarnations of Lois (who tended to be somewhat different from each other) and turn her into one. Which worked rather well. The only bad for me was that I WANTED MORE LOIS! But Lois has always been a role model and hero of mine since childhood. And I simply adored ED's take of the character. And watching her investigate with all those costumes (ala the comics) and seeing her be a hero in her own right (ala the comics), it brought a huge smile to my face!
            She rocked!!! Lois was definitely one of my fave characters this season! Though really, I didn't feel like we needed MORE of her, as I thought she was the most present this season that she's ever been on Smallville! If anything, I felt that she was used so much and got so much screentime that the other two ladies on the main cast got shafted...

Clark-- this Clark was more of Superman than I have seen in YEARS on this show. He isn't there yet, but he is somewhat closer. It would have been better to see him do his own research, and leave JSA out of the loop more. Sorry, Superman is a solo hero FIRST.
            Yep, for the most part, Clark was definitely Supermanly this season! Totally agree with you here. I didn't mind his teamwork with the JSA, though, considering the threat they were up against. And it wasn't like he didn't do ANYthing on his own. After all, when Lois arrived at the JSA's old brownstone, he zipped away faster than a speeding bullet.

Oliver-- I have to admit, the character grew on me. Still would like to shoot him in the back, but not lethally. Which is what I wanted to do at the end of season 8.
            LOL!!! Yeah, the Oliver of late Season 8 to early Season 9 was NOT my favorite, but in "Roulette" onward, he was far more bearable to watch, and eventually got back to being the classic Green Arrow, which is cool.

Tess-- I LOVED TESS! She was a girl trying to play all sides of the field. I never knew what she was up to, and the motivation. She kept me on my feet. I'm going ot miss her. And I never did get what I wanted: MORE LoTESS action. Those 2 women scorched my TV screen whenever they interacted. Too bad there wasn't a kiss....
            She was indeed continually awesome this season, though I don't think she was on-screen nearly enough. Quality over quantity, I guess? I'm not a fan of LoTess, though.

THE MOVIE EVENT ROCKED!!!! Loved it.
            ZOD-- loved him! There was a part of me that understood where he was coming from, even though I knew he was the bad guy.
            Zod did rock -- you actually did have to feel for him a little, especially with what we learned about his tragic past in the "Kandor" flashbacks. Still, after what he did in flashback, I was ready for him to be gone. I can't believe he killed the mother of his unborn child, and thus his child, too... Well, but he is a super-villain, so I guess I can believe it. He was a great villain for Season 9, I'll give him that!

Martian Manhunter-- I LOVE HIM! My only complaint---NOT ENOUGH OF HIM!
            Yep! Bring on more Martian Manhunter in Season 9! He was at his coolest in the "Absolute Justice" two-parter and in "Checkmate," where we got to see him use so many of his powers.

Metallio-- Loved him! He appeared just enough. Not to much.
            YES! He was one of my favorite recurring guest stars from the last couple of seasons. I really hope they bring him back for an episode or two in Season 10.

Wonder Twins--- I loved the Wonder Twins. I want them to make a return visit. Bring Gleek this time!
            LOL! Not so much a Wonder Twins fan, I have to admit... Maybe I need to re-watch "Idol" and try to cut them a little bit of slack, but they felt really pretty cheesy the first time around...

What didn't work
            Chloe being as dark as she was....Just when I thought I was liking the character again, she does things so low and underhanded that I cannot justify it at all. The trap to get Oliver back in hero mode, the cameras, the hiding of information, etc. Again, at the beginning of season 9 (just like 8) I started to like her, and by the end of season 9 (just like 8), I wanted her to be put out of her (and my) misery. I wanted her dead. It seemed to me she hasn't learn a DARN thing from season 8. I'm so glad she is going to be a guest-star in s10. Maybe I will like her for an entire season. That hasn't happen in some time now
            Awwww, that's sad... I will always love Chloe, and want Chloe on the show as much as possible, as she is my favorite character, but I have to admit that I did not appreciate the direction the writers took her in this season. I can agree with you that, after what keeping the secret of Davis' continued existence and running away with him ended up doing in the latter part of Season 8, that she would've been much more open and honest in Season 9, but instead, the opposite took place. I didn't like it that she was keeping so many secrets and doing lots of underhanded things in this season. It seemed out of character for her, but at the same time, I guess it was a fairly logical progression. She felt like she couldn't trust in anyone else after Jimmy died, Davis turned out to be a psycho, and Clark abandoned her, so she was going to try to handle everything on her own... and obviously, that did not turn out well.

Some of the episodes. Kandor started out good, then left me scratching my head.
            Really? I actually enjoyed it a lot! I thought it did a good job of making us wonder what was going to happen, and who had killed Jor-El (not to mention what he put in the Kent farmhouse)!

Clark--- Clark doesn't need ANYONE to do his research! He is the SMARTEST member of the JLA. What the ^&**^& , let him SHINE! Don't want to see him running to anyone for research material. He could do it in less than 1 minute flat.
            I have never thought that Clark is not smart enough to do his own research. But really, I don't think he could do it in "less than 1 minute flat." Clark needs to concentrate primarily on saving lives, so if he occasionally goes to someone else to assist with hacking or information gathering, I say more power to him. He's just using the resources he has at his disposal to multi-task and get a job done, and that's okay with me.

Martha--- loved her coming back to the show for a visit. HATED HER BEING THE QUEEN! She is not underhanded. She raised the man who will become SUPERMAN, for Pete's sake.
            I LOVED Martha's return! I'm not 100% sure what I think about her Red Queen status, but Annette O'Toole seemed to like this twist, so I guess I'm pretty much okay with it, too. I just loved the episode "Hostage" in general.

Thanks for sharing your input on this season! You had a lot of great comments in your analysis.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by KneelBeforeSmallville
            The only thing i didnt understand was in Upgrade, when chloe put lois to sleep. It just didnt feel right. Thats really the only problem i had.
            Hmm... It did seem a little surprising... I guess Chloe was trying to do it to keep Clark's secret safe, as if she'd somehow gotten the upper hand over Tess and started using those tracking computers, she might have seen him in his Blur identity, and maybe just wanted to keep Lois from getting in over her head. Who knows what Tess would have done to her had Chloe NOT been there...
            Last edited by SGuthrie27; 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by SGuthrie27
              More important to me was the fact that all of Clark's single-minded concentration on a couple of things kept him from really being the kind of friend I thought he should be to the others closest to him, particularly Chloe, who bore the brunt of his ill will. Although, I will also point out that Chloe brought a lot of it on herself, and that she was snippy and rude to him on more than one occasion throughout the season. There's plenty of blame to go between the two, but I end up pouring it all on TPTB for messing up what was the most beautiful relationship, romantic, platonic, or otherwise, however you like it (in my opinion) on the show.
              I do agree that Chloe is not blameless for the split in the relationship. Both Clark and Chloe made mistakes that caused the rift. But for the most part, it was poorly handled by TPTB.

A good set of episodes, to be sure... Hehehe, I can't help but notice that the episodes you picked (except "Escape") don't have Lois in them, and I think that was purposefully done, eh? That's okay, as I did much the same thing in my fave episodes lists of earlier seasons, before I actually came to really like Lois in Seasons 8 and 9. No worries, AC, I'm not a Cloiser; I just like Lois now -- she's the runner up to the totally unparalleled awesomeness that is my favorite tiny blonde, Miss Chloe Sullivan.
              It wasn't purposely done, but Lois being missing is a big reason why the episodes were so good. There were certain episodes that missed out on being in the top for reasons other than Lois.

All of the episodes you placed here have their high and low points, though I would've included "Metallo" in the top group, myself, and probably "Upgrade," too, but that may just be because I'm a big fan of Smallville's version of Metallo. John Corben is an awesome character who I hope to see at least one more time before the series ends. Oh, and I'd bump up "Legends" as well, but I don't like it as much as "Society," 'cause I felt like Chloe had so much to do in the first part, and hardly anything going on in the second, other than being Icicle's first target when he broke into Watchtower.
              Metallo isn't in the top mostly because of Clark. "I'm turning my back on my humanity, unless it benefits me." That hypocrisy ruined most of my enjoyment of the episode. Upgrade got left behind because of Red Kryptonite. It shouldn't have been brought back after Crimson. As for Legends, I can understand Chloe not being present as much. Allison was prepping for Warrior, so she needed time for that. What bugged me was Society had been building up so much momentum, only to have it grind to a halt when Lois showed up. I didn't think she was needed in the story. And normally I really like Tom's directing, but not this time.

Agreed on several of these, but "Hostage?" "Salvation?" I'm curious as to what you disliked about those episodes, as they were two of my favorites in the season, partially because the Chlark was back on track, but also due to the Perry/Martha appearances, and the sheer epic factor of the finale. I would look forward to hear what were the elements that detracted most from these episodes for you. I'm also a personal fan of "Crossfire," as the Chlark that occurred felt like it belonged in an episode from a couple of seasons ago. I'm not sure who wrote that episode, but I was a big fan of the way they wrote Chloe and Chlark.
              Hostage and Crossfire have the same problem for me. They have one great scene, but the rest of it is crap.

Hostage is my least favorite episode of the season for so many reasons- the retcon of Lois' background in journalism, Perry White (one of the worst casting choices EVER on Smallville), the Tess-Oliver stuff, Martha Kent as the RQ, and too much Clois.

Crossfire felt like two different episodes smashed together, with the two storylines only meeting at the end, and neither storyline was remotely interesting.

If I ever pick up the DVD of Season 9, I'll have to rewatch Salvation, because the initial airing was so messed up that half of it was unwatchable. Most of what I could see was so boring. The scene in the beginning was totally unnecessary, and the goodbye scene between Clark and Chloe was complete crap. That could have been the last ever scene between them, and THAT was what we got? What a rip-off.

Anyway, great thoughts, and as always, great to converse about it with a fellow fan of BOTH the coolest Chloes on TV (24 and Smallville).
              Any time . It's so rare to find fellow fans of both characters these days.

Comment

Alright

I've taken some time to think back and take another look @ season 9 and after re-looking it I've come to this conclusion.

This season was a total bore and a waste of a season. There was no chemistry between Lois & Clark, the whole Zod storyline was pointless, Tess was getting abused all the time, Clark focused WAY too much time on Lois and didn't care about anyone else, Lois ruined almost every episode with her presence and most of the episodes were just crap! Chloe was THE ONLY redeeming this about this season because she's just so perfect!

Gotcha!

Okay, seriously this is what I think of season 9. Overall it was a very good season. Was it a perfect season? No, but IMO it's definately one of the best seasons of Smallville by far. I still didn't think there was one bad episode in this entire season and I still stand by that. Though I can understand why some ppl didn't like Roulette, Warrior, Salvation, etc.

Now let me get to Salvation. I can see why some ppl were dissapointed in it. I guess they expected more from and I will admit there was too much talking. Also many of us were expecting some cool epic fight scene between Clark, the JL, and the JSA against Zod and the Kandorians. I will admit that would have been REALLY frickin' cool and was really hoping for it myself that it would happen. That would have been a very epic way to end the season. Unfortantely the budget this show has nowadays can only let them do so much. Hey, at least we got Absolute Justice!

Plus the way Clark tricked Zod into having the Kandorians hear his mind about killing Faora and then just turning against him was rather lame. It could have been done better. But I guess they can do what they can. But what really made up for the episode was the Clark/Zod fight. Even though it was kinda short they made the best of out of what little time they had. Plus the blue K dagger made a lot of sense and Clark sacificing himself by having Zod impaled him in the chest with the BKD just so Zod can be transported to New Krypton was just excellent and a brillant way to end the season. Those last 3 minutes alone made the episode worth watching.

I could go on and on about this season but then it this post would be too long and nobody likes to read a long ass post unless it's a review. But I just thought I get that out there. I do have to give credit to Sounders and Peterson for trying and putting effort into this season. Compared to season 8 where the first half was really good and then it just fell apart the second half. Also much deserved credit goes out to the cast for putting on a good performance and making the characters believeable even though @ times bad writing got in the way. Especially on Chloe's part. But all in all this was a good season. Not a perfect one but it definately gets a pass as it kept me interested and making me wanting to tune in to see what happens next. Looking forward to season 10 as it will be the final one and hopefully it will be a epic as they say it will be!
                Last edited by BigT; 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Rating S9

After 8, I was quite frankly, nervous.

S9 exceeded my wildest expectations, and I think S10 will be epic, start to finish.

S9=8.5

S10 preseason poll=10

Comment

Season 9- Super!

I feel that season 9 is the strongest of the later seasons. It has a few flaws, but overall season 9 is very solid and has a great overall season arc/storyline. I can't think of any episodes from this season that I truly dislike.

I like all the seasons. Seasons 6 & 7 I thought was the low point of the series, then season 8 was a breath of fresh air. I don't dislike seasons 6 & 7, those are just my least favorite of all. Despite having a few problems, I thought season 8 was pretty darn good. Season 8 ended on a bad note, but season 9 picked up fast and got back on track.

The acting and characters were all solid in season 9. I liked that Erica Durance finally broke through as the lead female character on the show.
                    Season 10 so far has a good chance of becoming the best of the later seasons, but we'll have to wait and see once the second half concludes. Until then season 9 is the best of the later years. Also, Salvation is my second favorite episode of the whole series.

Comment

i will give this season an A it was Super

Comment

I give Season 9 of Smallville a B-. It would be a C+, but Season 8 was so disappointing IMO, that it actually made Season 9 better.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎