No announcement yet.

My thoughts on how it all ended

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on how it all ended

I got to admit, about half way into this season I felt ike Jack did. Like I was finding my faith again.

Here was a show that I had given up on ever making sense. But in their final series they did finally start too. They were dedicated whole episodes to explaining some of the characters that we knew nothing about. They showed why everyone was here etc.

And I was watching the last two episodes crying my eyes out at every memory. Every moment you watch the realisation of love come over their faces. The reuniting was done beautifully. Everything was this poetic symmetry to the beginning. It was done with style.

And then they got to the church.

And I was watching the time, knowing there wasn't enough time left for another 'twist'. Knowing that Jack's father, a man who wasn't exactly important to the show at all to me, was going to finish it all off.

And what a cop out.

So they decided they woud just end the show right in the midde of a storyline, with all the fashbacks coming together as some kind of purgatory, and basically saying 'yeah we aren't going to tell you what happened to anyone but Jack, we aren't going to tell you what the light was or why it was important, or if it had any effect at all, we aren't going to tell you anything about the Island and why it's there, or offer any kind of justification for everything they had been through. Nope, we are just gonna skip ahead to when everyone's dead and reunite them and make like this is the best happy ending ever.

Well that's NOT a happy ending.

Have you ever read a book before, and got right near the end, right where things are about to be resolved, and then all of a sudden everyone is dead and in heaven?

It's like there is a page missing. A missing scene somewhere that never should have been deleted.

I guess I'm mostly angry, because I spent most of that season, every time someone died, thinking 'it's okay, cause they are alive in the other place and they are happy, so they must find a way to make everything right'... if i'd known the other place was heaven, i wouldn't have felt so great about it...

And btw, what the hell was going on with the babies? Sun is pregnant in purgatory... how does that work... is the baby dead too? cause I thought her kid was a few years old... and same with aaron too.

I'm just so dissapointed... because it was SO CLOSE to being perfect... I didn't know exacty how it was going to end, but I could feel it heading somewhere amazing... and then it just sort of gave up, like a car engine dying...

Okay, I ranted this to a friend, and have to repost it here just to get it off my chest!

well if they'd said the Island was purgatory, it might have made sense... but that's not even what they were saying... they were saying the flashes throughout the season were purgatory, that the island was real, but that they just decided to skip ahead to after everyone's story on the island had finished and have them meet up again in purgatory... leaving us basically in the middle of a storyline in which Jack was dying, Hurley was going to be watching the Island with Ben, and everyone else was on a plane (but I thought nothing but the sub could find it's way away from the Island?!)

I know it's not much, but I think I was mostly upset because I felt the show had lead me on in terms of who had died. I watched that series really happily, crying still when people dyed, but not giving it a second thought because I assumed the flashes were something that would come true... like some kind of future if they fixed things... so they weren't really dead, and they would all get the happy endings they deserved after all the things they'd been through...

But no one had a happy ending. I mean sure, it looks like it... But actually, they are just all dead. Jin never did get to see his own daughter (other than in some purgatory fantasy), Jack never did have a son (other than in some purgatory fantasy), and everyone really died too...

Is that what the main theme of Lost was by the end?

'Everybody dies, but at least then you find happiness'...

How crap is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
      And btw, what the hell was going on with the babies? Sun is pregnant in purgatory... how does that work... is the baby dead too? cause I thought her kid was a few years old... and same with aaron too.
      The purgatory universe is outside of time right...everybody lived their lives and died at different times, including the kids. And then they all got reunited in Purgaverse. Apparently Aaron was a baby because that was how he personally connected to all the losties when they were all alive. Either way it's not exactly all perfectly logical, that's for sure.

well if they'd said the Island was purgatory, it might have made sense
      That's how I feel as well. Why not just make the island purgatory if they were going to go any sort of "afterlife" route at any point. Especially since we've had countless events that made the island seem like a purgatory. And especially since the magical Light among many other things were ridiculous as hell (so they shouldn't have been "real"). Then the season 1 supposed flashbacks to their pasts could have turned out to actually be flashbacks to their "lives". I would have liked that a lot more. My theory is that this was their original plan, but they decided to change things after many viewers called it. They just needed to "outsmart" everyone.

But no one had a happy ending. I mean sure, it looks like it... But actually, they are just all dead. Jin never did get to see his own daughter (other than in some purgatory fantasy), Jack never did have a son (other than in some purgatory fantasy), and everyone really died too...
      I suppose we're to take comfort in that they'll all get their happy endings in Heaven (if that's where they were actually heading...the jury's still out on that one ). But seriously if being dead and getting to go to Heaven is so great, then why was Jack crying like a baby in the church? ha j/k

Is that what the main theme of Lost was by the end?

'Everybody dies, but at least then you find happiness'...
      Lol, either that, or "Life's a b**** and then you die."

Personally, I'm going with the idea that nothing we saw actually happened on the series from the moment Jack opened his eyes on the island to the moment they closed again. That this was all Jack's personal purgatory or universe, a "flash before his eyes", a life he created for himself just before dying on the airplane in order to come to terms with what was just about to happen to him. Something like this: http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144106

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎