No announcement yet.

Superman:Earth One

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superman:Earth One

Kind of old news but in the newest PREVIEWS they had a new picture of Clark/Superman,I'm kinda getting a Smallville vibe because of the hood,he looks bad ass in my opinion.[IMG]file:///C:/temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

I'm looking forward to this one but I'm not too thrilled about the cover. The other image is pretty good and the one in this article is nice too.

Comment

That's a very nice drawing, you know this would be the perfect opportunity to include Chloe into the comics since some people want her to be in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gotham Knight
        you know this would be the perfect opportunity to include Chloe into the comics since some people want her to be in them.
        Well, since this is a different continuity and is actually being published in hardcover graphic novel format, her presence wouldn't actually count as being introduced "into the comics." She'd be there, but for all intents and purposes, it wouldn't count.

Chloe has been in other comics that didn't count - like the Smallville comic based on the show that only lasted twelve issues.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
          Well, since this is a different continuity and is actually being published in hardcover graphic novel format, her presence wouldn't actually count as being introduced "into the comics." She'd be there, but for all intents and purposes, it wouldn't count.

Chloe has been in other comics that didn't count - like the Smallville comic based on the show that only lasted twelve issues.
          Ok it would introduce her into a continuity that's outside of the Smallville universe.

Comment

Preview is up.

Comment

Looks like that darker direction everyone's been talking about taking Superman into.

Also, what's up with Clark's repetition of, "Don't know yet."? What is he, shell-shocked?

Comment

Is it just me, or does Clark seem... idk... emo?

Comment

yep, i will get this, maybe not on release though.

Comment

At that point in the story, I doubt he's embraced the idea of Superman or put on the suit yet, so is an emo, broody, pre-Super Clark Kent a very radical idea anymore?

I'm impressed, and not just because of the art.

The only thing I'm wondering about is, Clark Kent is out and about without glasses? ugh, I'm going to assume that idea wasn't inspired by SV, cross my fingers, and hope they know what they're doing

Comment

Originally posted by dru-zod2501
                      At that point in the story, I doubt he's embraced the idea of Superman or put on the suit yet, so is an emo, broody, pre-Super Clark Kent a very radical idea anymore?
                      A radical idea? No. A take on the character I find totally unappealing? Yes.

Comment

I actually think Smallville has offered some good contributions to Superman lore (mainly, the meteor shower to hide Clark's arrival on Earth). Earth-1 seems to be choosing the bad ones (emo Clark, glasses-less Clark).

Comment

Well this is a young Clark who has never been Superboy and he's trying to figure out what to do with his powers and everything. He's also alone in a big city. It's not completely out of the norm to be somewhat confused and/or brooding at that age especially given his unique situation. As long as they don't drag the angst on and on endlessly like SV, I think I won't mind (my preference would be no angst whatsoever but hey, angst is cool these days, lol). I hope he gets over it early in the story. And I am getting a Golden Age vibe from the way Clark burned that guy. Besides, these are 5 pages out of 125 so it's a little early to judge. Who knows, maybe it won't be so bad. I like the art though.

Even the Byrne origin had Clark glasses-less for a few years in Metropolis (including university) until he was finally forced to go public with the space plane rescue. So it's not like SV came up with that concept in the first place (though they take it to ridiculous levels e.g. Clark is now actually working at the DP without glasses ). I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it didn't originate on SV. Personally I would have preferred him wearing the glasses already. SV had an excellent opportunity in the third season episode Whisper where he had to wear glasses after he was temporarily blinded by his own heat vision. They should have had him continue wearing them from then on.

You know, the basic scenario of Clark coming to Metropolis for the first time, moving into a hotel, then taking a walk and fighting some criminal(s) is similar to Byrne's World of Metropolis #3 (minus the brooding of course). Byrne then had him go to Met U. And here we have the education talk with that lady. Maybe Clark will decide that junior college wasn't enough and end up going to Met U?

BTW, although the idea of Clark's arrival on Earth being masked by a meteor shower isn't bad, I am not comfortable with Superman coming to Earth literally in a rain of death and destruction. The meteor shower devastated Smallville and killed a lot of people. I guess it would have been better if it had been on a lower scale and in an unpopulated area or something.
                          Last edited by Exedore; 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Can't wait for this. I read Superman For All Seasons over the wekend so I'm kind of in the mood for this.

Comment

Just saw a writeup for this. Can't say I am impressed. I didn't really care for the GJ Secret Origin series(I thought devoting an issue to the Legion while completely bypassing College was a waste) and thought this one might do a better job, but this series seems to take a lot of bad points from Smallville's emo Clarek

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎