No announcement yet.

"I'm going to destroy the island."

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm going to destroy the island."

Do you think this line could have anything to do with the sunken island that we saw at the beginning of "LA X"? If so, it could be that my original theory that the AU is actually what will happen if MiB/Smokey gets off the island is true (although I'm not sure it fits with what we've seen so far).

Thoughts?

hmmm maybe. but then what would blowing up the hatch be? unless it reset the islands power to the begining of the island and jacob and mib didnt exsist. maybe smokey wants to make that happen. really confusing. kind of wish we had more episodes to figure this whole thing out.

Comment

I think that the sideways is what happens after both the island and the MIB are destroyed. There's no way that the MIB can exist in the sideways or else the destruction of the island would have led to him being free and destroying the world. My question is...what is the point of the sideways? Is it just to reunite everyone or does something actually have to be accomplished in the sideways by the characters? When looking at the sideways right now, the only things that I see happening are Jack and Kate getting together, Sawyer and Juliet getting together, Jack operating on Locke so he can walk again, Charlie and Claire meeting each other...etc. So again, is this pretty much all we can expect from the sideways between now and the end? Or does the island need to be brought back for some reason?

Comment

i have no clue but seems we will find out the point of the sideways sunday.

Comment

I was surprised he said that to Ben after trying to get him to kill for him in exchange for inheriting the island.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
            Do you think this line could have anything to do with the sunken island that we saw at the beginning of "LA X"? If so, it could be that my original theory that the AU is actually what will happen if MiB/Smokey gets off the island is true (although I'm not sure it fits with what we've seen so far).

Thoughts?
            The AU was created as a result of Jack and company going back in time and detonating the bomb, not sure how that could connect directly with MIB's current or upcoming actions... Also, seeing as the AU doesn't seem so bad, I doubt MIB/Smokey is around in it or was freed in it. He probably sunk with the island in the sideways. And since he can't traverse water as smoke, he would have been finished. (That's if Smokey/Jacob/the Light etc were even around in the AU--it's possible they are all "special", and exist only in one universe--ours. Thanks to the Light's power.) My theory is that there is only one "Light" or "Source" in all the multiverse, and it's here in our universe. And when the Light beamed the bomb away, it didn't destroy another one of its "selves" or anything like that (because it has no counterparts). I think the Light in our universe is the source of life everywhere, including the AU. The AU is a tangent universe, and much like Donnie Darko, it seems to contain the "manipulated dead". Or something similar, in that the AU losties have visions of our universe, but not the other way around.

Originally posted by myankskent
            There's no way that the MIB can exist in the sideways or else the destruction of the island would have led to him being free and destroying the world.
            I thought that too, that is until they established that Smokey can't traverse water. Then I realized that if Smokey was indeed around in the AU, he would have sunk with the island and be trapped forever.

My question is...what is the point of the sideways? Is it just to reunite everyone or does something actually have to be accomplished in the sideways by the characters?
            Possibilities include:

1. Resurrection of John Locke, so that he can be brought over to our universe and the island to defeat Smokey. Resurrection of other characters as well possibly, like Sun and Jin so their kid can have parents.

2. Just part of Jacob trying to prove Smokey wrong about the nature of mankind. All part of Jacob's own personal "game". I do hope that instead of being killed or trapped forever, that MIB is "saved"/redeemed/has his faith restored, and that this is what "winning the game" means to Jacob (because he feels responsible for what MIB became). Otherwise, why bother with establishing what a good person MIB used to be? Having him simply treated as a monster is way too black-and-white after this backstory set-up.

3. Possibly one universe will be destroyed, and the purpose of the surviving one is to act as the universe where "life goes on". The AU might be a universe that needs to be sacrificed in order to stop Smokey once and for all. Maybe Smokey will be sent to the AU somehow, where he will be free to destroy or do to it as he sees fit (his own personal heaven). lol Thus saving our world (and the all-important Light).

When looking at the sideways right now, the only things that I see happening are Jack and Kate getting together, Sawyer and Juliet getting together
            Seems to me they're pushing AU Sawyer and Kate together. I'm not really seeing much in the way of AU Jack and Kate. And there's no sign of Juliet being in the picture or really mattering anymore, not yet anyway. Besides, Juliet's got BIGGER things to worry about now, doesn't she....like those awful V's.... heh
            Last edited by Xanderman; 05-19-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
              I thought that too, that is until they established that Smokey can't traverse water. Then I realized that if Smokey was indeed around in the AU, he would have sunk with the island and be trapped forever.
              Good point. Chances are this is exactly what happened and what will happen in the island timeline.

2. Just part of Jacob trying to prove Smokey wrong about the nature of mankind. All part of Jacob's own personal "game". I do hope that instead of being killed or trapped forever, that MIB is "saved"/redeemed/has his faith restored, and that this is what "winning the game" means to Jacob (because he feels responsible for what MIB became). Otherwise, why bother with establishing what a good person MIB used to be? Having him simply treated as a monster is way too black-and-white after this backstory set-up.
              See, I'm still not sure that the MIB is actually Smokey. What if Smokey is Smokey, just trapped in other people's bodies? I say this because in "Across the Sea", how in the world could the mother carry the MIB out of that hole and wipe everyone else out? That seems like something that Smokey would do. So maybe Smokey is just this evil entity that wants to destroy mankind and it's goal is to become other people. By doing this, it is able to acquire human memories and emotions, that way it can manipulate other humans on the island, like the candidates, into doing what it wants.

Seems to me they're pushing AU Sawyer and Kate together. I'm not really seeing much in the way of AU Jack and Kate. And there's no sign of Juliet being in the picture or really mattering anymore, not yet anyway. Besides, Juliet's got BIGGER things to worry about now, doesn't she....like those awful V's.... heh
              I haven't seen Sawyer and Kate have any of those visions when around each other, though. So I'm assuming that they won't get together in the sideways, although anything is possible. The couple of times that Jack and Kate have ran into each other, there seemed to be some sort of recognition. Desmond bringing Kate to the concert that Jack was going to be at seems to point in the direction of Jack and Kate meeting up.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
                Chances are this is exactly what happened and what will happen in the island timeline.
                So you think the losties are all done for eh? Lol could be, could be. And then the AU is where they'll all get to "live on", as seeing as how they're all getting flashes over there, it becomes very much like a "resurrection". Sad ending and happy ending. The only issue I have with this is if the island is indeed sunk/destroyed as Smokey wants (and him in the process), won't that "put the light out"? And won't that destroy the universe (or all universes) or something? For this reason, I doubt Smokey will actually succeed in destroying or sinking the island. But who knows, maybe they'll do something like the light living on in some other way, or not really being needed any more (if it ever really was that important), or some other jazz.

See, I'm still not sure that the MIB is actually Smokey. What if Smokey is Smokey, just trapped in other people's bodies? I say this because in "Across the Sea", how in the world could the mother carry the MIB out of that hole and wipe everyone else out? That seems like something that Smokey would do. So maybe Smokey is just this evil entity that wants to destroy mankind and it's goal is to become other people. By doing this, it is able to acquire human memories and emotions, that way it can manipulate other humans on the island, like the candidates, into doing what it wants.
                Possible, definitely can't rule that out. I agree that it's possible/likely Mother was a smoke monster herself, the question is whether it was the same entity as the current Smokey as you believe, or whether that one truly died (which is what I think). Personally I think based on various clues, it is the actual person living on or being reborn as a smoke monster. To quote myself from another thread (http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...php?t=143060):

"I think Smokey is indeed the BIB/MIB, his mortal body replaced with a new one. He is like an angry/vengeful spirit. I think the light was described as representing life, death, and rebirth. MIB lost his human life (his humanity, stolen from him by Jacob in his eyes), and was re-born as the smoke beast. Also, Mother said a person would suffer a fate worse than death--meaning MIB didn't simply die. He continues to exist, "damned" for an eternity if you will, as a monster (and trapped). He also told Sawyer "I used to be a man, just like you" when asked who or what he was. He talked about having a crazy mother, etc. Does this mean he's confused/doesn't know what/who he is, or that he was just lying? Could be, but I'm leaning more to MIB having survived the death of his body (and having undergone a rebirth thanks to the island/the light/the source). Afterall, Jacob survived the death of his body (existing in ghost form, visiting Chewbacca the Hurley, etc). So it makes sense that MIB, having been "touched" directly by the Light, could have taken it a step further and be physically alive again as something else--the beast."

^That said (or re-said), possible strong support for your (and WhoRU's) theory was Jacob's reaction to MIB's dead body at the end of Across the Sea. They seemed to make it a point for Jacob to say goodbye to MIB, as if he realized/knew MIB was really dead (and wasn't reborn or resurrected as a smoke monster or anything like that). This might have been a pivotal moment meant to strongly imply that Smokey is not actually MIB. So you and WhoRU could have in fact hit the nail on the head with this one. But THAT being said, let's not forget BIB/MIB was described as "special", and how he wasn't expected at birth (and how he was never named, or at least not to us)--these kinds of things lend support to MIB and Smokey being one and the same.

I haven't seen Sawyer and Kate have any of those visions when around each other, though. So I'm assuming that they won't get together in the sideways, although anything is possible. The couple of times that Jack and Kate have ran into each other, there seemed to be some sort of recognition. Desmond bringing Kate to the concert that Jack was going to be at seems to point in the direction of Jack and Kate meeting up.
                You could be right. Personally, I think they're doing a "Jack is meant to be alone" sort of thing, and that Kate isn't his soul mate (or whatever). They've repeatedly put Sawyer and Kate together Over There. And they've always had a thing for each other Over Here of course. But Jack, fighting/struggling against his "destiny" (a destiny he never chose or wanted), tried to make things work with Kate off island, and ultimately it didn't work out (because he's meant to walk the lonely road of self-sacrifice as Jacob did). That said, this is a tough one to call. Could go either way (is there a third option? lol).
                Last edited by Xanderman; 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎