No announcement yet.

You were the son Lionel never had.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You were the son Lionel never had.

Oliver said that to Clark but I hardly got the impression of that with Lionel.

Originally posted by malft

Today is Toxic on TNT. Erica is beeutifull in this episode. Everything worked right, the makeup, costume, even the script was good.
    I also think that it was a good script - except for the ending. The ending was a "drama for drama's sake" ending. Oliver accused Clark of knowing that Lionel killed his parents.

That is indeed factually true. But Clark learned that about two days before Lionel died. The way that scene was built it made it look like Clark hid that fact for years to prevent Oliver from taking revenge on Lionel. Which then started Oliver's drinking game round one.

Comment

Originally posted by JNottle
      Oliver said that to Clark but I hardly got the impression of that with Lionel.
      I think Lionel always wanted to have control over the Traveler. But I never got the impression that Lionel wanted Clark as his son and heir. He called him "son", yes, but how much of that was manipulation and how much of it was Jor El? Lionel2 on the other hand seemed to have trained Clark2 the way Lionel1 trained Lex1.

Comment

I agree, Lionel didn't want Clark as his heir but I believe he truly wanted to help him because of the things he went through as an emissary of Jor-El. I think Lionel realized that protecting Clark was bigger than him. While Lionel initially wanted to control him his attitude changed...so much so that Lionel let Lex kill him instead of revealing anything about Clark.

The relationship between Clark and Lionel had truly been changed even if there were the occasional distrust issues (even in Descent itself but that only adds to the drama of Lionel's death). When Lionel dies, Clark is truly sorry and can't believe Lex did it. At Lionel's funeral Clark is mourning while Lex is kinda smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
          I agree, Lionel didn't want Clark as his heir but I believe he truly wanted to help him because of the things he went through as an emissary of Jor-El. I think Lionel realized that protecting Clark was bigger than him.
          I agree.

While Lionel initially wanted to control him his attitude changed...
          I am not sure how much his attitude really changed. Jor El also wanted to "guide" Kal El to his destiny. Test him, teach him, manipulate him, and all that. In a way Jor El could not have choosen a better vessel because his and Lionel's goals were identical.

The relationship between Clark and Lionel had truly been changed even if there were the occasional distrust issues (even in Descent itself but that only adds to the drama of Lionel's death). When Lionel dies, Clark is truly sorry and can't believe Lex did it.
          Agreed.

At Lionel's funeral Clark is mourning while Lex is kinda smiling.
          As far as I recall he smiled when he saw that Clark had come to the funeral even though Lex had disinvited everybody. We see that Lex is mourning in Descent (the dialogs with himself, the message in the passport, the memory of the museum).

Comment

Jor-El wanted Clark to become the savior of earth (with radical teachings!) while Lionel (initially) wanted the Traveler to become his slave pretty much. The earth 2 versions of Lionel and Clark show us what would have happened if that had come to pass.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎