Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' need to have a 'purpose' and bit more Lang than Lane?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

But that's Superman.

She's met him, face to face. No one is impersonating him. For her, there isn't any suspicion because he's created this alter ego that most people don't even think 'does her have another life?'. It's just assumed that Superman is Superman all the time.

The whole world knows and trusts him, not just her. She's not blindly following a man she 'thinks' is good, and 'thinks' she can trust. She knows she can trust Superman more than anyone can ever trust anyone else. Because he is the pillar of truth and justice.
    Totally irrelevant since there have certainly been times over the decades when Superman has been impersonated or possessed by someone else and fooled Lois and others into believing he was the real deal. The fact that Lois on Smallville has not met the Blur face to face increases the sincerity of her feelings for him because obviously her feelings are not based on physical attraction, which Lois Lanes have been chastised for in the past.

Here on Smallville, our Lois, no nonsense, straight to the point, feisty, doesn't take no for an answer, needs to uncover the truth Lois, is blindly obeying the orders of Zod because she thinks he's the Blur.

He has done nothing to prove to her who he is. He uses a computerized voice, he is getting her to put herself in danger, and he's always being incredibly vague.
    Did Clark ever do anything to prove he was the one and only Blur? No, of course not and the subject wouldn't even come up if not for Zod's ability to imitate him.

I've never met a Lois, so desperately unsatisfied with her life as a Daily Planet reporter, that she will ignore all her natural suspicion instincts in order to get a bite of 'save the world'.
    Oh, Please, now this is hitting melodrama. Lois, who was unemployed, said she needed her life to have purpose. I guess she could sit on her ass and collect welfare, but she doesn't want that, she wants to be out there making a difference.

I personally think it's ridiculous that Lois very cockily, and IMO illogically thinks a story about aliens is going to get her an even better seat and the Daily Planet.

She worked for the Inquisitor doing those sorts of stories. And that made sense. But the DP isn't going to want to print this?

She'd have to find so much evidence that there was no doubt. And that would be an impossible task. It could take months. And what is she going to do for money until then?
    I have one word for that: Superman The audience knows the Daily Planet becomes pretty famous for its coverage of that particular alien. Though you've kind of missed the point of what I said. Lois was working on saving her and Clark's jobs and he wasn't helping even in a vague way.

And even if she did get enough proof, do you think the government would allow that story to go public? There would be so many legal reasons why it couldn't be printed, i'm sure. Lots of barriers they would put up.
    Ever hear of freedom of the press? Ever hear of FOIA? But again you totally miss the point, which is Clark was doing nothing to help get their jobs back and giving no reason why he was apparently apathetic to that end.

Yes, Lois does help people as a reporter. But she is also ruthless. I think suggesting that the hero inside her is a reporter is a bit weird.
    Ruthless? I have a feeling that journalism is suddenly less noble now that Chloe isn't part of it

Being a reporter is not pretty, and certainly not the kind of heroics you can shout about. But it's her passion. Her passion for uncovering the truth. Sticking her nose in where it's not wanted. She LOVES it.
    Reporters have covered war, corruption, gone undercover to infiltrate dangerous radical groups, sweatshops and abusive institutions. As for Lois, she will also let the world know about aliens.. at least one particular alien

It doesn't have to be about the 'hero in your heart' blah blah over the top soppy nonsense. I just want Lois love of Journalism to be real.
    I agree Clark's comments to Chloe were soppy nonsense as you say since Chloe is actually the one who has been ruthless this year, but she was crying so he naturally felt sorry for her. Give him a break

Comment

Sorry I think the fact that Lois has feelings for a faceless voice on the phone makes her look like a fool. Plus in Idol she was all ready and willing to believe the worst in him. Lois putting so much into her relationship in the Blur is like a man falling in love with a call girl.
      There is also the problem that the writers continuously look stupid when it comes to the Blur. Sometimes when she talks about him, as in Rabid and Charade, she sounds like a crazy cult member.

Comment

Sorry I think the fact that Lois has feelings for a faceless voice on the phone makes her look like a fool. Plus in Idol she was all ready and willing to believe the worst in him. Lois putting so much into her relationship in the Blur is like a man falling in love with a call girl.
        Clark is the one who contacted her first as the Blur, not the other way around. Here's the dialogue:

RBB/Clark: "Is this Lois Lane the reporter?"

Lois: "Who wants to know?"

RBB/Clark: "This is the Red-Blue Blur."

Lois: "Yeah, right. How do I know you're not some Deep Throat wannabe with a lot of time on his creepy hands?"

Clark whooshed over and dropped the newspaper at her feet that had Lois's OP-ED request to meet the Blur. Clark could've ignored the request, but he reached out to her instead and contacted her. Not with a note, but on the phone, which is a much more intimate form of contact.

At the end of their conversation she says "My editor would kill me, but I don't want this story. What I've really been wondering is what is it that you need? I mean you've dedicated your life to a city full of strangers and I'm not saying I know what it's like to be a hero, but even the fastest blur in the world can't outrun loneliness. I guess what I'm saying is if you ever want to talk, totally off the record, I'm only a phone call away."

And so all that makes Clark a hooker when he's the Blur? In Idol she was critical of the Blur, but her criticism was apparently wrong too? Nice to have it both ways.

There is also the problem that the writers continuously look stupid when it comes to the Blur. Sometimes when she talks about him, as in Rabid and Charade, she sounds like a crazy cult member.
        And here we go again. If she is critical of him in Idol, she's wrong and if she praises him she's a cult member. It's hard to explain the Lois /Superman thing to people unfamiliar with it, but I do think the writers have mainly done a good job with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessKent
          I don't get the big deal. If anything Hostage showed us that Lois doesn't need the Blur or Clark to give her purpose, she worked through her issues on her own from Charade. Is it so wrong that she wants her own identity? I mean so what if Lois wants to find a purpose, what should Lois stay home and bake pies for Clark, ...
          In this episode Lois behaved worse than Lana. At least Lana was rightfully upset about Clark lying. But Lois was upset about Clark being not interested in his career. Clark never asked Lois to stay home and bake pies. She could have simply replied that if Clark has no interest in that story, she is going to chase it down by herself and she won´t share the by-line. But why break up? Because Clark presumably did farmwork rather than journalism? Does she love only the man with a career as a journalist? I thought she considered herself an independent woman. Yet all of a sudden she depends on the support of her boyfriend?

Also, I haven´t seen Lana crash a dinner. Ruining the first dinner Clark had with his mom in a long time at the farm was rude, disrespectful and low. If she had a problem with Clark´s charade and ill-founded attempt at keeping some harmony on that evening, she could have simply found an excuse to not participate in the dinner instead of breaking up with him in public. And once again there was no reason to do so, because Clark did not hold her back to do anything.

In my view, this episode damaged the character of Lois Lane.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMophilus
            In this episode Lois behaved worse than Lana. At least Lana was rightfully upset about Clark lying. But Lois was upset about Clark being not interested in his career.
            Lois was upset about way more than Clark not being interested in his career. She was upset that he didn't care about her feelings, she was upset that he kept asking her to lie and pretend, she was upset that he was shutting her out of whatever responsibilities were weighing him down, and she was upset that Clark couldn't be bothered to offer her even the slightest bit of support or comfort.

Clark never asked Lois to stay home and bake pies.
            No, he just asked her to stop worrying about her life falling apart so she could put on a fake happy face so he could have a break. It was as if Clark said to Lois, "Your feelings don't matter to me right now. In fact, your feelings are kind of killing my buzz, so maybe you could cut it out for a few hours so I can pretend things are perfectly okay."

She could have simply replied that if Clark has no interest in that story, she is going to chase it down by herself and she won´t share the by-line. But why break up?
            Lois wasn't upset about the story. Lois was upset because Clark was treating her as an insignificant distraction. Lois was in Jonathan's place down by the rising river screaming for her partner to join her, but all he could do was ask Lois to pretend like the river wasn't rising so he could walk away.

Because Clark presumably did farmwork rather than journalism? Does she love only the man with a career as a journalist? I thought she considered herself an independent woman. Yet all of a sudden she depends on the support of her boyfriend?
            Lois is an independent woman. She wasn't asking for Clark's professional support, but she was asking for Clark to care about something bigger than himself. It didn't have to be journalism as long as it seemed Clark cared about something more than vague "responsibilities" he can never share with the woman with whom he is falling deeply in love.

I would also add that Lois was asking for some emotional support. You know, some empathy and understanding. It was clear, even in this episodes, that Clark could offer empathy and encouragement to Chloe, but couldn't be bothered to give his own girlfriend the same.

Also, I haven´t seen Lana crash a dinner. Ruining the first dinner Clark had with his mom in a long time at the farm was rude, disrespectful and low.
            Let's conveniently forget that the whole family dinner was just a charade on Martha's part to distract everyone from her behind-the-scenes machinations. That Perry was the first one to be rude by bringing up the engagement announcement he promised Martha would remain unmentioned. Oh, and Clark's not an innocent bystander either. There's a difference between attempting to maintain some harmony and being flat out deceitful. There was no reason why Clark had to go out of his way to sugar coat his life in front of his mother. Clark and Lois were sitting across the table from the two people in the world who are perhaps most qualified to offer valuable help and guidance, but Clark squanders the opportunity with his charade and foolishly asking Lois to do the same.

If she had a problem with Clark´s charade and ill-founded attempt at keeping some harmony on that evening, she could have simply found an excuse to not participate in the dinner instead of breaking up with him in public.
            If Clark really did still believe in the relationship, he could have refused his mother's dinner invitation in favor of actually working things out with Lois. This whole "should have" "could have" thing goes both ways, you know?

And once again there was no reason to do so, because Clark did not hold her back to do anything.
            Clark wasn't holding her back from finding her purpose. He was holding Lois back from speaking openly and honestly to two people who could have been much more helpful to both of them had they been informed of the whole truth. In addition, as I've mentioned above, Lois didn't break up with Clark because she thought he was holding her back. Lois broke up with Clark because he was being callous and insensitive.

In my view, this episode damaged the character of Lois Lane.
            When I look at what both Lois and Clark were going through in this episode, I empathize with both of them. I do believe they could have handled the situation better, but I think the bottom line is that Clark's secret keeping was the primary ingredient in the break up. Martha was absolutely right when she told Clark the only way he could rightfully salvage his relationship with Lois is to tell her the truth or let her go. Therefore, since Clark seems unwilling to be honest with Lois at the moment, I'm glad Lois ultimately cut through the BS going on at the dinner table and did her own letting go.

Comment

I was really happy when Lois said she wanted a purpose.

Maybe Lois, like myself, was tired that she was always dressing up in various silly costumes to chase the story. Isn't there more to her life than that?

Comment

Originally posted by THEcrownsMINE
                I was really happy when Lois said she wanted a purpose.

Maybe Lois, like myself, was tired that she was always dressing up in various silly costumes to chase the story. Isn't there more to her life than that?
                Nope. Since it's a part of Lois's job to get the scoop, and costumes help her get them as much as they've helped all other Lois Lanes, I'm afraid the costume thing will never go out of style. Costumes go with the purpose, kind of like Clark actually--the man who will wear two costumes, donning glasses as Clark Kent and a cape as Superman.

Comment

I know this is going to be unpopular but Lois was like Lana in feeling that she had to be a hero and save lives in order for her life to have meaning.

Lois told the Blur that nothing in her life was as important as working with the Blur.

So that being an investigative reporter who finds and prints the truth, putting corrupt DA behind bars etc. and having a romantic wonderful really good looking boyfriend on the side is not enough for her. I gues she answered Clark question about weather he was enough for her.

It's one of the many reasons I did like like Hostage.
                  It shouldn't have taken a break up with the Blur and Clark for Lois to realize that she can make a difference in the world for good by being a reporter. O and I guess that Clark doesn't enter into the equation.

I know that Lois got fired from the DP but it's not the only newspaper in the world. But Perry did get her job back.
                  Last edited by supercatmom; 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                    When I think of Lois Lane, I certainly don't think of someone who needs more from their life. I don't think of someone who is complaining that their life doesn't have enough purpose.

I think of someone who doesn't even think about what her purpose is. Because being a reporter is such a natural second skin that there is no doubt about what she was meant to do. And she gets every bit of purpose from that.

Lana Lang on the other hand. Now there is a character who so badly needed a purpose on Smallville, that she tortured herself in order to withstand the pain of fusing with a super suit, so that she could save the world...

Now I'm not suggesting that Lois is going to do that. I think even in Smallville she's not that nuts.

But I wish she'd get to a place where serious journalism was her passion. Catching drug lords and corrupt governments. Not chasing aliens and propping up fantasy heroes.
                    I agree. By the end of the episode though Lois realised she belonged at The Planet so hopefully it was just an existential crisis we all experience from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎