Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' need to have a 'purpose' and bit more Lang than Lane?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmboy09
    lois is selfless?, of all the people in the world ....lois is the last person in this world this world should apply to ...other than that change the defination of the word....a selfless person would understand that clark is in a state of transition right now, as a lot of things have been happpening in his life, and the last thing he needs is being rushed into a relationship, especially after the BS that he went through with lana. but no her thirst for a man is more important to her....
    How could Lois understand this about Clark when he won't let her in to all that is going on his life? If anything, Lois was an open book in this episode sharing her insecurities about her life being in transition and disarray. Lois wasn't showing a thirst for a man, but rather a thirst, a hunger, for purpose and strength outside of her relationships (platonic and romantic) with the Blur and Clark respectively.

she would have a more purpose in life, if she looked within herself, developing her career goals, instead of waiting for strange men to call her...for a story, the world has lots of untold stories...lois has actually stopped living, and her whole oxygen tank is dependent on this blur guy...
    Correction: Her purpose was tied up with Clark and the Blur before this episode, but Lois came away from her experience with Perry as a more actualized human being. She needed to do what she did, so that her relationship with Clark could thrive. Now all Clark needs to do is share his secret with her, and things will become even better between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
      When I think of Lois Lane, I certainly don't think of someone who needs more from their life. I don't think of someone who is complaining that their life doesn't have enough purpose.

I think of someone who doesn't even think about what her purpose is. Because being a reporter is such a natural second skin that there is no doubt about what she was meant to do. And she gets every bit of purpose from that.

Lana Lang on the other hand. Now there is a character who so badly needed a purpose on Smallville, that she tortured herself in order to withstand the pain of fusing with a super suit, so that she could save the world...

Now I'm not suggesting that Lois is going to do that. I think even in Smallville she's not that nuts.

But I wish she'd get to a place where serious journalism was her passion. Catching drug lords and corrupt governments. Not chasing aliens and propping up fantasy heroes.
      This is what I meant when I said that Lois is Lana 2.0.

Comment

lois is selfless?, of all the people in the world ....lois is the last person in this world this world should apply to ...other than that change the defination of the word....a selfless person would understand that clark is in a state of transition right now, as a lot of things have been happpening in his life, and the last thing he needs is being rushed into a relationship, especially after the BS that he went through with lana. but no her thirst for a man is more important to her....
        You DO realize that she doesn't know that, right? She DOESN'T KNOW that a lot of things are happening in his life. From her perspective, the only thing he's doing now is farm work. From her perspective, he's not interested at all in coming back to the Planet.

She was rushing their relationship? She was trying to get both of their jobs back, did you even watch the episode?
        Last edited by Nanda Lane; 05-08-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I don't know why everyone that gets involved with Clark has this need to want to be a hero that takes over who they are. Lana, Chloe and Lois. I thought Lois was happy being a reporter and all of a sudden here comes the need to be a hero. Color me confused.

Comment

she would have a more purpose in life, if she looked within herself, developing her career goals, instead of waiting for strange men to call her...for a story, the world has lots of untold stories...lois has actually stopped living, and her whole oxygen tank is dependent on this blur guy...
            But that was exactly her realization! That she didn't need The Blur to have a purpose. She said it herself. That finding herself in her career was more important. Sometimes I think people don't watch the episode, or don't really pay attention, geez!

Comment

Originally posted by batfinx
              If you don't understand her adoration of the Blur (Superman) then no, you don't understand Lois Lane at all. As for being like Lana? You've got to be kidding me

On the series as in the comics, Lana has no real important destiny beyond being Clark's girlfriend in his pre-Superman youth, but once that is fulfilled, she has nothing else. Lana just seemed to run around trying to find validation in men and whatever vocation worked within that context. She sure learned how to be evil from Lex. She was at her most interesting in that guise.

Getting back to Lois, her frantic demeanor dealt more with getting their jobs back at the Planet and Lois being perplexed about Clark not being as anxious to recoup their jobs as she was. Here's the dialogue.

Lois: "It's as if you're expecting me to single-handedly save our unemployed derrieres, which lucky for you I have. I have found a story that will get us corner offices at the Planet with parking on P-1. We just have to start now."

Clark: "Look, I appreciate the offer, Lois, but I can't drop everything right now."

Lois: "Whoa! Hey, (she takes his face in her hands, lucky guy) I have been pounding back double-double espressos just trying to keep us on some kind of masthead and you've been doing what exactly?"

Clark: "I just have some responsibilities I can't ignore." He starts walking away without an explanation as to what responsibilities he was talking about or why they were more important than getting their jobs back.

Lois finally says "Here's something I can't ignore. I need a purpose. Some kind of bigger mission in life. You don't seem to need that."

Then Clark made the big mistake of saying "You're just overreacting."

Lois can't believe he said that. "To what? My life falling apart?"

Then Clark drove in the coffin nail. "Lois, just give me a break."

She's trying to help him and herself get their jobs back and he has something so much more important to do, but not important enough to tell her what it is, or ask her to help him with it. He totally iced her out. Then he lied to his mother when she walked through the door and continued to lie to her throughout dinner until Lois couldn't stand it anymore and she told Martha the truth about them being fired at the Planet and taking a break from each other. She said "I need to find a way to make a difference with my life and I realize now I can't look to you or even the Blur to make that happen for me. I need to do it on my own."

At the close of the episode, unlike Lana, Lois had a Dorothy-esque epiphany that she didn't need to go to Oz or outside her own backyard to find her higher calling. She just needed to find the hero inside herself and she did, and that hero is a reporter.
              Cosigned. The whole point of the episode was to show that Lois didn't need the Blur or Clark to give her a purpose. She worked through her issues from last week.

Lois Lane is not Athena sprung from Zeus's head. She was not born a reporter. In the Modern Age comics, she happened upon it by chance. She uses her reporting as a tool to do good in the world. When people say Lois Lane should act like this or she should act like that, you're not taking into account the varied history Lois has and how each one differs slightly. What is so wrong with Lois finding a purpose? Why is that such anathema to some of you?

And no, Lois in search of a purpose does not make her Lana 2.0. Lois found her purpose on her own, without the Blur or Clark. She looked within herself for who she needed to be and what would make her happy as an individual. I was worried that she would cling to the Blur after Charade (then you could call her Lana 2.0) but she didn't do that.

That was made rather clear through her adventure with Perry. I mean, if anyone searching for a purpose in life is Lana 2.0, then I guess I am and so are millions of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanda Lane
                But that was exactly her realization! That she didn't need The Blur to have a purpose. She said it herself. That finding herself in her career was more important. Sometimes I think people don't watch the episode, or don't really pay attention, geez!
                I know, it's like talking to a brick wall about this subject. I don't know how much clearer they could have made it with Lois saying it herself that she needed to look for a purpose outside of both Clark and the Blur.

Again, it's a case a people hearing but not actually listening to what she said.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanda Lane
                  You DO realize that she doesn't know that, right? She DOESN'T KNOW that a lot of things are happening in his life. From her perspective, the only thing he's doing now is farm work. From her perspective, he's not interested at all in coming back to the Planet.

She was rushing their relationship? She was trying to get both of their jobs back, did you even watch the episode?
                  well it doesnt take a genius to figure out that clark has had a lot on his plate right now...even though she may not know that clark is the blur or whatever....she shouldnt just expect that she is his whole world, he has dreams and aspiration as much as she does, she is looking for a purpose so is he....a relationship may not be top of his priorities...

she is being lana 2.0 putting her selfish needs b4 her man's ....while i understand that both deserve clark's own truth.....and cant wait for him forever...clark is a complex guy, not yr average jo next door...and they need to accept that....which is why them having a break for a while, until they both start acting mature...is a good idea...

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
                    I know, it's like talking to a brick wall about this subject. I don't know how much clearer they could have made it with Lois saying it herself that she needed to look for a purpose outside of both Clark and the Blur.

Again, it's a case a people hearing but not actually listening to what she said.

You. Are. My. Hero.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by dogstar85
                    Lois Lane is not Athena sprung from Zeus's head. She was not born a reporter. In the Modern Age comics, she happened upon it by chance. She uses her reporting as a tool to do good in the world. When people say Lois Lane should act like this or she should act like that, you're not taking into account the varied history Lois has and how each one differs slightly. What is so wrong with Lois finding a purpose? Why is that such anathema to some of you?

And no, Lois in search of a purpose does not make her Lana 2.0. Lois found her purpose on her own, without the Blur or Clark. She looked within herself for who she needed to be and what would make her happy as an individual. I was worried that she would cling to the Blur after Charade (then you could call her Lana 2.0) but she didn't do that.

That was made rather clear through her adventure with Perry. I mean, if anyone searching for a purpose in life is Lana 2.0, then I guess I am and so are millions of others.
                    I think I love you!
                    Last edited by Ella; 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                      I don't know why everyone that gets involved with Clark has this need to want to be a hero that takes over who they are. Lana, Chloe and Lois. I thought Lois was happy being a reporter and all of a sudden here comes the need to be a hero. Color me confused.
                      Don't forget Martha.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01

^^

Comment

well it doesnt take a genius to figure out that clark has had a lot on his plate right now...even though she may not know that clark is the blur or whatever....she shouldnt just expect that she is his whole world, he has dreams and aspiration as much as she does, she is looking for a purpose so is he....a relationship may not be top of his priorities...

she is being lana 2.0 putting her selfish needs b4 her man's ....while i understand that both deserve clark's own truth.....and cant wait for him forever...clark is a complex guy, not yr average jo next door...and they need to accept that....which is why them having a break for a while, until they both start acting mature...is a good idea...
                          Wow. "putting her selfish needs b4 her man's". I find that incredibly sexist and offensive. Lois' life, her goals and her career are just as valid as Clark's. What a double standard. I don't hear anyone say "Clark is selfish for putting his Blur duties above Lois". I suppose Lois being the Stepford Wife in Persuasion where she catered to Clark's every whim is the way to go. *sarcasm*

Secondly, all Lois knows is that Clark got fired and he doesn't seem to care. Considering that he hasn't told her about his hero activities, how is she supposed to know about those dreams/aspirations? To Lois, Clark is treating getting fired as nothing. That's his job and he's not caring about it. How is she supposed to divine his dreams from that? To her, he looks as if he's just hanging around the farm. We know that he's not but she DOESN'T KNOW THAT.
                          Last edited by dogstar85; 05-08-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

well it doesnt take a genius to figure out that clark has had a lot on his plate right now...
                            So, she needs to be a psychic, got it.

he has dreams and aspiration as much as she does
                            From her perspective? No, he doesn't. She was trying to get their job back, and from her perspective, he didn't care at all about his career. But she needs to guess what he's feeling, I got that.

So, he's a complex guy, he has too much going on in his life right now, but he doesn't need to tell her anything, Lois just have to accept that and stand by her man like a good girl, otherwise she is selfish, and Lana 2.0. Got it.

I give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanara
                              Don't forget Martha.
                              At the river filling bags, Martha needed a reason for the big move to the country so she wouldn't loose herself with being a wife and helpmate. Being a hero within herself and not for the fame. This was before she adopted Clark.

As Red Queen, Martha was helping her son and wasn't after self gratification that heroism can bring.

I think Martha is selfless in her role of helping people as a U.S. Senator. I don't see her as needing to be a hero to make her life worthwhile. Much like Clark, being a hero isn't the reason for helping people.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
                                I don't think it was being a hero, I think it was what Martha said - finding a purpose.

Lois has always been around men who had these kinds of callings - her father, AC, Oliver, and Clark (even though she doesn't know the full extent).

She's more than just Clark's girlfriend, just as he's more than Lois' boyfriend.

I think she's very happy being a reporter, but she lost that when she got fired. Then she was working to get their jobs back and in her mind, Clark was dismissive (she doesn't know the extent of what he's dealing with).

Part of the reason Clark loves Lois is because she has the dedication to the world and wants to help and is a determined, driven woman. If she lost that part of herself, then she loses part of who Clark loves. He said it himself, it was that side of her that he spoke to as the Blur that made him fall even deeper for her.

Lois did what she had to do to make her relationship with Clark ultimately work. She dealt with her issues and can now give herself to Clark as a whole person instead of one that is floundering in confusion. Now Clark has to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎