Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois' need to have a 'purpose' and bit more Lang than Lane?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lois' need to have a 'purpose' and bit more Lang than Lane?

When I think of Lois Lane, I certainly don't think of someone who needs more from their life. I don't think of someone who is complaining that their life doesn't have enough purpose.

I think of someone who doesn't even think about what her purpose is. Because being a reporter is such a natural second skin that there is no doubt about what she was meant to do. And she gets every bit of purpose from that.

Lana Lang on the other hand. Now there is a character who so badly needed a purpose on Smallville, that she tortured herself in order to withstand the pain of fusing with a super suit, so that she could save the world...

Now I'm not suggesting that Lois is going to do that. I think even in Smallville she's not that nuts.

But I wish she'd get to a place where serious journalism was her passion. Catching drug lords and corrupt governments. Not chasing aliens and propping up fantasy heroes.

Oh me first me first seen jumping up and down on the floor

Good theory but lets see what happens in Season 10, I got high hopes for Miss Lane...

Comment

Lois is nothing like Lana……

Lois’s issues are the exact opposite of Lana’s. Lois is selfless where as Lana is selfish.
      It’s clear since “Charade” Lois is confused with what's going around her in regards to her future & life in general.

Lois on SV is a younger version of her famous self. She wants & is trying to become this well known, well respected reporter she well grow to be. SV has Lois falling for CK before she’s this famous investigative reporter, so she's juggling the foundations of both very vital parts of her life at the time. Where in the Superman mythos she has already established her career then & falls for Superman. Something never done before in the comics.

I so understand Lois’ confusion b/c CK isn’t helping her see the light & instead keeping her in the dark when she’s trying to spread her wings. She’s feeling suffocated by CK’s lack of effect in her life, but of course she doesn’t know what’s going on in regard to his large responsibly. She only see CK not taking her seriously & wants to run away. She losing herself when she’s trying to find herself & she can’t do it by CK’s side if he’s not willing to open to her.

I understand Lois….

Comment

I don't.

I don't understand Lois actions at the moment. To just blindly trust this voice on the phone, do anything he says just because she wants to feel like she's saving the world. Get depressed and obsessed when this very sad relationship stops.

I mean, the fact is, it wasn't a hero. She was doing the bidding of Zod. She was so desperate to 'be a hero' that she ended up being used by the enemy.

She didn't even TRY to find out who he was. Didn't even CONSIDER that he might have been lying to her. And why? Why blindly trust like that? Why not have suspicions?

I understand Lois Lane... but I don't understand this girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
          I don't.

I don't understand Lois actions at the moment. To just blindly trust this voice on the phone, do anything he says just because she wants to feel like she's saving the world. Get depressed and obsessed when this very sad relationship stops.

I mean, the fact is, it wasn't a hero. She was doing the bidding of Zod. She was so desperate to 'be a hero' that she ended up being used by the enemy.

She didn't even TRY to find out who he was. Didn't even CONSIDER that he might have been lying to her. And why? Why blindly trust like that? Why not have suspicions?

What I don't understand is the writers of this show.The actions of the characters are in their hands.

Comment

I can see some of OP points...

I've had hard time getting behind S9 clois. IMO' Lois has been very OOC during this run.

And I esp. detested how when ZodBlur enters the picture...that's when the monkey wrench was throw in the triangle for two??

WTF...I think SV Lois was a much stronger character when she wasn't paired with Clark. She's been very OOC and if the writer's don't know how to write Lois in love with Clark...then leave it alone and let thme become their iconic counterparts with some flirty banter but keep them single.

Edited to add...FWIW I think Clark's decision to reenter a relationship seemed very OOC but since this is about Lois I wanted tol stick to Lois characterization.
            Last edited by DeesRyche; 05-08-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I think it was... an odd move to have Lois have all these life revelations after working with blur!Zod. I mean... I get that supposedly in offscreenville she has worked with the Blur in the same way... but we needed to see more of that onscreen.

I get what the writers are trying to say... that Lois has felt these things about working with the Clark!Blur in the past and Zod was able to capitalize on what was already there. But... I can understand if some viewers reject that. We just didn't see enough of the Lois/Blur team onscreen.

I do wish that Lana's exit had been more like this. I wish she could have found herself in what was already in her. She's an artist, a businesswoman... lots of things. But instead she found her purpose by putting on a suit to be like Clark. I hated that.

I think this episode did a great job of connecting the dots between Early Lois and Future Lois by having her... start to focus on herself and how she can pursue a higher purpose right where she is at the Daily Planet.

But yeah, I wish all this inspiration didn't come on the heels of working with fake!Blur.

Comment

I thought her if-only-I-had-a-purpose whining was annoying. I understand how she feels dejected because the Blur no longer wants her in his life, but this episode took that too far. Thank God the ending fixed that a bit.

Comment

I think that was a natural thing for Lois to want to think. She obviously idolizes the Blur because of all the huge things he does on a daily basis to help people and she was able to help him there for a bit, but then he just dumped her without really explaining to her why. And at the same time she was kicked out of her job. She likes reporting because of the good things she's been able to accomplish through it (like sending Saks to jail) and to lose both those things at the same time does seem like it would leave her feeling worthless. I think the major difference is that Lois needed this for herself as she told Clark. Lana needed it to feel equal to Clark. To me Lois is showing some inner strength by realizing that she needs to be happy with who she is as a person whereas Lana needed to feel worthy of someone else to be worthy to stand by his side.

Comment

The whole needing a purpose thing would be okay if it was believable but it isn't. Lois thinks she was helping the Blur but really she was just an outlet for Clark to vent. Her whole blind rust in the Blur is kinda creepy. I can understand the Lois Lane Superman dynamic when Clark is Superman because she can at least see Superman's face and knows who he is but the Blur is a shadowy dude who only talks to her over a voice modulator he can be anyone. Heck he could be Lex Luthor. I like Zod pretending to be The Blur because it will teach Lois a lesson. If it doesn't then...that is just dumb.

Comment

If you don't understand her adoration of the Blur (Superman) then no, you don't understand Lois Lane at all. As for being like Lana? You've got to be kidding me

On the series as in the comics, Lana has no real important destiny beyond being Clark's girlfriend in his pre-Superman youth, but once that is fulfilled, she has nothing else. Lana just seemed to run around trying to find validation in men and whatever vocation worked within that context. She sure learned how to be evil from Lex. She was at her most interesting in that guise.

Getting back to Lois, her frantic demeanor dealt more with getting their jobs back at the Planet and Lois being perplexed about Clark not being as anxious to recoup their jobs as she was. Here's the dialogue.

Lois: "It's as if you're expecting me to single-handedly save our unemployed derrieres, which lucky for you I have. I have found a story that will get us corner offices at the Planet with parking on P-1. We just have to start now."

Clark: "Look, I appreciate the offer, Lois, but I can't drop everything right now."

Lois: "Whoa! Hey, (she takes his face in her hands, lucky guy) I have been pounding back double-double espressos just trying to keep us on some kind of masthead and you've been doing what exactly?"

Clark: "I just have some responsibilities I can't ignore." He starts walking away without an explanation as to what responsibilities he was talking about or why they were more important than getting their jobs back.

Lois finally says "Here's something I can't ignore. I need a purpose. Some kind of bigger mission in life. You don't seem to need that."

Then Clark made the big mistake of saying "You're just overreacting."

Lois can't believe he said that. "To what? My life falling apart?"

Then Clark drove in the coffin nail. "Lois, just give me a break."

She's trying to help him and herself get their jobs back and he has something so much more important to do, but not important enough to tell her what it is, or ask her to help him with it. He totally iced her out. Then he lied to his mother when she walked through the door and continued to lie to her throughout dinner until Lois couldn't stand it anymore and she told Martha the truth about them being fired at the Planet and taking a break from each other. She said "I need to find a way to make a difference with my life and I realize now I can't look to you or even the Blur to make that happen for me. I need to do it on my own."

At the close of the episode, unlike Lana, Lois had a Dorothy-esque epiphany that she didn't need to go to Oz or outside her own backyard to find her higher calling. She just needed to find the hero inside herself and she did, and that hero is a reporter.

Comment

The only thing that links Lana to Lois in this argument I believe is that Clark influences those that he comes in contact with to aim to a higher calling - to strive to protect the greater good.
                        Lana sought to be a hero via artificial external means.
                        Lois seeks the hero within herself, strives to better herself despite her human frailty.
                        This I think defines the crux of their characters and only justifies to my mind why Lois is such a fine role-model for women at large.

Comment

I think Lana's character needed a purpose writing wise more than character wise. Lana never seemed worried about finding a purpose to me in the way that Lois is right now. Lana was good at school and worked several different jobs well. She was more preoccupied about finding a life beyond Smallville. Also, a big theme for Lana was not being a victim anymore.

I think Lana could have benefitted from a send off more like this episode where the writers really get to the heart of who Lana is and empower her in a real world human way.

Lois "whining" about finding purpose isn't weird to me. I think she's still journeying toward becoming her adult self. I've noticed, throughout her time on the series, that Lois doesn't seem to like herself or believe in herself very much deep down. So... this episode makes sense for her character IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by batfinx
                            If you don't understand her adoration of the Blur (Superman) then no, you don't understand Lois Lane at all. As for being like Lana? You've got to be kidding me

On the series as in the comics, Lana has no real important destiny beyond being Clark's girlfriend in his pre-Superman youth, but once that is fulfilled, she has nothing else. Lana just seemed to run around trying to find validation in men and whatever vocation worked within that context. She sure learned how to be evil from Lex. She was at her most interesting in that guise.

Getting back to Lois, her frantic demeanor dealt more with getting their jobs back at the Planet and Lois being perplexed about Clark not being as anxious to recoup their jobs as she was. Here's the dialogue.

Lois: "It's as if you're expecting me to single-handedly save our unemployed derrieres, which lucky for you I have. I have found a story that will get us corner offices at the Planet with parking on P-1. We just have to start now."

Clark: "Look, I appreciate the offer, Lois, but I can't drop everything right now."

Lois: "Whoa! Hey, (she takes his face in her hands, lucky guy) I have been pounding back double-double espressos just trying to keep us on some kind of masthead and you've been doing what exactly?"

Clark: "I just have some responsibilities I can't ignore." He starts walking away without an explanation as to what responsibilities he was talking about or why they were more important than getting their jobs back.

Lois finally says "Here's something I can't ignore. I need a purpose. Some kind of bigger mission in life. You don't seem to need that."

Then Clark made the big mistake of saying "You're just overreacting."

Lois can't believe he said that. "To what? My life falling apart?"

Then Clark drove in the coffin nail. "Lois, just give me a break."

She's trying to help him and herself get their jobs back and he has something so much more important to do, but not important enough to tell her what it is, or ask her to help him with it. He totally iced her out. Then he lied to his mother when she walked through the door and continued to lie to her throughout dinner until Lois couldn't stand it anymore and she told Martha the truth about them being fired at the Planet and taking a break from each other. She said "I need to find a way to make a difference with my life and I realize now I can't look to you or even the Blur to make that happen for me. I need to do it on my own."

At the close of the episode, unlike Lana, Lois had a Dorothy-esque epiphany that she didn't need to go to Oz or outside her own backyard to find her higher calling. She just needed to find the hero inside herself and she did, and that hero is a reporter.
                            Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Tinyeppy
                              Lois is nothing like Lana……

Lois’s issues are the exact opposite of Lana’s. Lois is selfless where as Lana is selfish.
                              It’s clear since “Charade” Lois is confused with what's going around her in regards to her future & life in general.

….
                              lois is selfless?, of all the people in the world ....lois is the last person in this world this world should apply to ...other than that change the defination of the word....a selfless person would understand that clark is in a state of transition right now, as a lot of things have been happpening in his life, and the last thing he needs is being rushed into a relationship, especially after the BS that he went through with lana. but no her thirst for a man is more important to her....

she would have a more purpose in life, if she looked within herself, developing her career goals, instead of waiting for strange men to call her...for a story, the world has lots of untold stories...lois has actually stopped living, and her whole oxygen tank is dependent on this blur guy...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎