Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with violence toward Tess?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is part of show canon now. Just like Bart's "eat my shorts" on the simpsons. Smallville wouldn't be Smallville if Tess wasn't getting beat up.

Comment

The whole backhistory of Tess is that she had an abusive farther and came from a bad home (see episode Turbulence), she's bound to attract violence since she's used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMo
        Not this again
        You could say the same thing for Oliver, he's got shot, burnt, beaten up and all the rest like Tess
        Hell in this episode he was extremely injured, and he got shot, and punched
        exactly, people by trying to protect a she-devil and jezebel like tess, u are actually being sexist, here on both sides actually...women who do wrong are pampered like babies, while men get the nazi treatment... ollie may your idea of a boy scout but compared to tess he is a saint......yet he is getting worse **** happening to him. tess really doesnt have a conscience, she will shoot u if u double cross her...

Comment

Originally posted by uncaged
          It's not so much that people attack her that bothers me. i mean I wasn't upset by her getting attacked in Rabid by the zombies or if she's in a fight, but episodes like this and some of the ones where Clark throws her around just seem like they beat up on her just for the sake of beating up on her. They could have achieved the exact same outcome by having Oliver thrown in there with her and him begging her to tell him what she knows so that they can get out of it together (kind of like that first scene with Zod in her room) and she'd freak out over him being burnt. They still could have played the "I love you" as a trigger thing if it was done that way, but this just seemed excessive and unsettling, especially since the audience didn't know what was going on. I mean when Lois gets hit she's usually knocked out, but Tess for some reason is tough enough to take it and they just keep hitting her. Oliver is a superhero and if he gets injured then it's kind of in the job description (Roulette aside). I mean all the guys on this show have that excuse pretty much. But look at the outcry over that promo where Clark pushed Chloe. She didn't even get hurt and people were flipping out. Chloe's been pretty shady all season and no one thought that was cool. Idk, for me that scene all the way around was just too much violence. Shooting Oliver, beating Tess around, and almost shooting Tess. It just didn't fit the episode.
          I agree to an extent. In Savior she has a black eye and had been tortured alot. In Rabid gets thrown into a glass table. In Crossfire gets threatened and nearly killed. In Kandor she gets chocked. In Pandora she gets tossed around and in the AU has an arrow through her. In Persuasion, Chloe starts a fight with her and tries to kill her. In Escape, Zod chokes her. In Checkmate, she gets slammed into a building and has her hung over the ledge. In Sacrifice, Chloe hits her around a few times. Then the stuff in this episode.

Originally posted by kneel4justice
          I think Tess brings it upon her self, how many people or even organizations has she betrayed/double crossed ?
          I agree in a sense but I think they are also a lot ruder with her than other villians. With all other villians and morally gray characters they are given plenty of second chances and try to help them see the light but with Tess every character basically tells her to F off. That's my problem that and I think her and Oliver have been thrown around a bit too much for my liking.

Comment

I dont think,thinking a girl gettin abused every episode is sexist
            Oliver being a superhero should except to get beat up it comes wit the job
            And besides theres "laws" to protect woman from gettin beat even if they killed someone
            Even though Tess killed people two wrongs doesnt make a right.

Comment

Poor Tess? Sorry but I don't feel sorry for someone who treats people bad and then gets treated the same way in return.

Where's the outrage over the abuse towards Oliver?

Comment

She really deserves to be shot in the back............just like Stuart!!!!!!

Comment

I think some of you are looking at her only as a character and she deserves it. I think the ppl who don;t like it are looking at it more broadly. The SV Writers have been showing a woman subject to physical violence, many times. It is really annoying when it is done by Clark.

I also find it stupid because they have shown Tess to have great fighting and shooting skills. Tess could take any of her attackers, except Clark.

Comment

You do know that all was mental images created by Lord and not real,so she didn't really get hit in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMo
                      Not this again
                      You could say the same thing for Oliver, he's got shot, burnt, beaten up and all the rest like Tess
                      Hell in this episode he was extremely injured, and he got shot, and punched
                      You are exactly right. It is amazing that there are so many people that completely seem to turn off the TV when this happens and they only "magically" turn the set back on when Tess is back on the screen in a smackdown. The double standard/hypocracy of some people is just mind-blowing. I must have missed the similar outrage when Tess was on the "giving" end of violence (often towards men).

Some people should try waking up and watching all the scenes and not just a select few of them...

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                        I agree with you. I do NOT want to see this poor woman beat up, or shoved around, anymore. Its just excessive. And yes, I'd feel the same way if she was a man (before anyone accuses me of being sexist).
                        What if she was a superhero or a warrior? (shrug)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
                          It is part of show canon now. Just like Bart's "eat my shorts" on the simpsons. Smallville wouldn't be Smallville if Tess wasn't getting beat up.
                          It'll become like South Park, "Oh my god, you beat up Tess!!! You bastards!!"

Comment

Who ever feels sorry for Tess, is pretty sad, she IS the villain of the show. Lex's replacement, and people feel sad because she gets beat up all the time?

If anything people should be getting mad, because she is a weak villain. Lex would never get beat up that much.

Evil is evil it has no gender.

Comment

Originally posted by We're Luthors...
                              Who ever feels sorry for Tess, is pretty sad, she IS the villain of the show. Lex's replacement, and people feel sad because she gets beat up all the time?

If anything people should be getting mad, because she is a weak villain. Lex would never get beat up that much.

Evil is evil it has no gender.
                              I dont think she is weak she is just ambivalent. She is not really the villian. Also Lex was not as physical as Tess.

Comment

I think everyone is missing the real issue. How about the violence against Kryptonians on this show. How many times has Clark been rendered inaffective because of kryptonite exposure. As we have seen the kryptonite react with his blood directly it is the equivalent of his blood boiling the longer he is exposed to the kryptonite. Now imagine Oliver or Tess getting their blood boiled, now that is harsh. True, if the kryptonite is taken away he gets all better, but that doesn't mean it hurts less, that doesn't mean if the kryptonite isn't taken away he wouldn't die a horrible painful death. Kara was beaten and bruised when she had no powers. She has also had prolonged kryptonite exposure before as well. Where was the outcry for her abuse then? Why is this show so violent against aliens and people who are different. Where were the outcries when Clark impailed Tina Greer? Granted she did that to herself, does it make it any less violent though? Did that not count either?

I think we really need to get our priorities straight. Violence begets violence. If you kick someone's butt or shoot someone in the head it will come back at you eventually! It is a fantasy show, did this many people complain about the violence Sarah Michelle Gellar endured on Buffy, even Cordy and Willow have been smacked around a lot and they weren't even slayers, but I didn't think twice about it because it was a show about demons and monsters running around the world we know it trying to kill you. Smallville isn't that much different, replace the monsters and demons with Aliens and Metahumans and it is the same thing, it is a dog eat dog universe and sometimes you are going to myteriously be knocked unconcious before Clark superspeeds in and saves the day.
                                Last edited by Drakaun; 05-10-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎