Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Great Caesar's Ghost"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed it!!! When did he say "Great Caesar's Ghost?" I DID appreciate the "Chief" line from Lois -- nice callback to a part of the mythos that even this Chlarker appreciates!

Comment

He said it when he was climbing the steps to the fire escape, it was awesome

Comment

The famous line was nice to hear, but I thought it was even nicer to hear Lois call Perry White, "chief"! Big WIN!!!

Comment

Hearing Perry say that was great thing and hearing him say Great Ceasar's Ghost and Great shades of Elvis and don't call me cheif the next time he appears would be great as well.
          In the comics he appeared in the 1940 Superman vol 1# 7 and was created for the 1940 radio show and either start saying the line in Adventures of Superman, or the serial.

Comment

Originally posted by melissan02
            The famous line was nice to hear, but I thought it was even nicer to hear Lois call Perry White, "chief"! Big WIN!!!
            Agree.

Comment

Loved the line and Lois calling him chief. I just wish he would have said don't call me chief back to her.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERMAN NORTH
                Kirk Alyn serials and The Adventures of Superman

Pierre Watkin was the first actor that played Perry White, in the two Superman serials starring Kirk Alyn from 1948 and 1950. In the 1950s television and radio series, as played by John Hamilton, Perry typically barked "Great Caesar's ghost!" when angry, exasperated or surprised. His other trademark line was "Don't call me 'chief'!" Both of these lines eventually became staples in the comics. In at least one episode, it is revealed that Perry has served a term as mayor of Metropolis before becoming editor-in-chief on the Planet.
                Thank you, great one-liners!

Comment

Originally posted by Ek12
                  Loved the line and Lois calling him chief. I just wish he would have said don't call me chief back to her.
                  He only says that to Jimmy.

Comment

Originally posted by mlauenstein
                    He only says that to Jimmy.
                    Poor Jimmy he should of been here for this. Damn Failsday .

Comment

Loved that Iconic line!

Comment

i was SO HAPPY when i heard him say that!!!! yay Perry!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERMAN NORTH
                          , as played by John Hamilton, Perry typically barked "Great Caesar's ghost!" when angry, exasperated or surprised. His other trademark line was "Don't call me 'chief'!" .

The 1950's Perry White character was one of the most authoratative performances ever on film. John Hamilton did a great job in that show and the design of Perry White's office was one of the coolest I have ever seen. All fans should watch the 50's show, it was so well acted. 2nd only to Smallville imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ek12
                            If you really look at the AOS - Lois and Clark are the only ones allowed to call him "Chief" - a term of endearment so to speak -

a Well Played to the Writers

Comment

That line gave me a chuckle and a smile. On a side note I say "Chief" all the time, and I am only 23.

Comment

From what I've read the phrase "Great Caesar's Ghost" was actually not an uncommon exclamation, as outdated today as when Groucho Marx is told, "....the Dean is furious, he's waxing roth," in "Hosefeathers." We all know (or many of us do) the Ghost comment from the 1950s AoS, but man did I do a shout when Perry said it here

I'm really hoping that when SV's Perry becomes the DP's editor he puts a photo on his desk of his grandfather for example. The man who truly inspired him to become who he is....and the photo is John Hamilton....really the Perry White to me

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎