No announcement yet.

"Great Caesar's Ghost"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Great Caesar's Ghost"

Wow an Adventures of Superman shout out. That's what Perry on that show would say

Where did that catchphrase originate? On that show or is it from the comics?

Comment

Shout out but those always feel lame to me...no on would say that now...
      sam with the chief comment..

Comment

I loved it but I'm a big fan of the older superman show.

Comment

I think it originated with the 1950s Adventures of Superman show. Fantastic payoff moment I was hoping to hear! That and Lois calling him "Chief."

Comment

Kirk Alyn serials and The Adventures of Superman

Pierre Watkin was the first actor that played Perry White, in the two Superman serials starring Kirk Alyn from 1948 and 1950. In the 1950s television and radio series, as played by John Hamilton, Perry typically barked "Great Caesar's ghost!" when angry, exasperated or surprised. His other trademark line was "Don't call me 'chief'!" Both of these lines eventually became staples in the comics. In at least one episode, it is revealed that Perry has served a term as mayor of Metropolis before becoming editor-in-chief on the Planet.

Comment

Originally posted by wingster55
              Perry is old school,also I know plenty of people who say chief to their superior.

Comment

One of the three great things about this episode!

Comment

Originally posted by wingster55
                  I disagree whats wrong with a person saying Great Caesars Ghost now. To me that was an awesome thing he said and as a person myself who is old school feel its important to hear things that are a blast from the past and pardon me for saying this the youth of today just don't grasp. IMHO I hope he says it more if he is in the 10th season as a regular. I mean no disrespect to the youth of today but it always seems an old versus young thing

Comment

Perry's no spring chicken, so it's not that far-fetched that he'd have an old-school catchphrase. And the chief thing didn't bother me at all. In fact it just seemed to fit the scene, though I was expecting him to turn around and tell her, "oh, and btw, don't call me chief" but it was fine the way it went.

Comment

I love old school stuff.

That line had me bouncing up and down on my couch.

Maybe we could get to hear 'chief' next season.... (please please please)

Comment

yea i really loved that it was thrown in there.

Comment

Not to mention when Clark/Blur caught that marquee sign as it was falling, just like a scene on Lois & Clark

Comment

I gave a decent little 'YEAH!" when I heard that one-hope I didn't wake up any of my flatmates!

Comment

it was one of several iconic moments and shout-outs to the lore!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎