Television Ratings for "Hostage"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large movie openings matter, especially something that would attract Superman fans.

Comment

Originally posted by LorelaiG
      And quality? then why over seas Smallville actually DOUBLED its ratings from 8 million for Savior to 16.600 (last known rating was Conspiracy)

Maybe on verseas we have less taste than Americans amd accept less quality shows
      Being that I mentioned quality - I would like to respond.

First, not American

Second, I am going by what I see on the screen and as I stated IMO, the quality is lacking. I cannot tell you about your numbers as we do not get them on this board.

Comment

i think quality has been pretty well this season, really the only bad episodes for me this season was roulette and escape.

Comment

TV By the Numbers has the ratings. 1.92 million:-(

Comment

We could argue story-telling and the quality of it until the cows come home, but it is still subjective.

What is not subjective, are the facts. This was the first episode to NOT be pre-empted in 4 weeks. While I will certainly not degrade the knowledge of anyone in this thread when it comes to ratings, there is a simple fact that occurs when a show is pre-empted 4 weeks in a row, in two of its biggest rating markets:

The ratings for the first episode NOT to be pre-empted anywhere WILL go down.

Episode 17 was pre-empted in Chicago, 18 was pre-empted in New York, 19 was pre-empted in Chicago, and 20 was pre-empted in New York. Just look at those markets, and then the corresponding ratings (which I do each week in a thread). Is anyone surprised, at all that this episode was down under 2 million?

Pre-emptions would kill any show, even the most popular. These are facts that can not be argued in the ratings world, because it leads to confused viewing. It has been proven that if a show is pre-empted the week before in a major network, viewers in that network may not know it is even on the following week. So what networks NORMALLY do is promote heavily to say "Hey, your show and one of our highest rated shows is coming back in your market next week, so watch!"

The CW didn't do that. I counted 6 Smallville ads this week (all of which gave AWAY the big twist to the episode as well), compared to 22 for Gossip Girl, 18 for 90210, 18 for Vampire Diaries, and 15 for One Tree Hill. Yes....I kept count. Supernatural even has room to complain, because they only got 7 ads all week.

I won't get into the movie factor, because I can't make a quantifiable argument for Iron Man 2's effect on ratings either way, but I will say that any one who does not take pre-emptions into account is only subjectively making an rather shaky point.

What can not be argued, is that this show was averaging 2.5 million viewers before the hiatus, on a Friday night on the 5th most-watched network on TV, and is now hurting to get above 2 million after weeks of pre-emptions. The network, and the network affiliates alone are killing this show's ratings right now with their scheduling tactics.
            Last edited by Supes4Ever; 05-08-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

yea rag ratings been know since 1147am est.

Comment

Originally posted by Supes4Ever
                We could argue story-telling and the quality of it until the cows come home, but it is still subjective.

What is not subjective, are the facts. This was the first episode to NOT be pre-empted in 4 weeks. While I will certainly not degrade the knowledge of anyone in this thread when it comes to ratings, there is a simple fact that occurs when a show is pre-empted 4 weeks in a row, in two of its biggest rating markets:

The ratings for the first episode NOT to be pre-empted anywhere WILL go down.

Episode 17 was pre-empted in Chicago, 18 was pre-empted in New York, 19 was pre-empted in Chicago, and 20 was pre-empted in New York. Just look at those markets, and then the corresponding ratings (which I do each week in a thread). Is anyone surprised, at all that this episode was down under 2 million?

Pre-emptions would kill any show, even the most popular. These are facts that can not be argued in the ratings world, because it leads to confused viewing. It has been proven that if a show is pre-empted the week before in a major network, viewers in that network may not know it is even on the following week. So what networks NORMALLY do is promote heavily to say "Hey, your show and one of our highest rated shows is coming back in your market next week, so watch!"

The CW didn't do that. I counted 6 Smallville ads this week (all of which gave AWAY the big twist to the episode as well), compared to 22 for Gossip Girl, 18 for 90210, 18 for Vampire Diaries, and 15 for One Tree Hill. Yes....I kept count. Supernatural even has room to complain, because they only got 7 ads all week.

I won't get into the movie factor, because I can't make a quantifiable argument for Iron Man 2's effect on ratings either way, but I will say that any one who does not take pre-emptions into account is only subjectively making an rather shaky point.

What can not be argued, is that this show was averaging 2.5 million viewers before the hiatus, and is now hurting to get above 2 million after weeks of pre-emptions. The network, and the network affiliates alone are killing this show's ratings right now with their scheduling tactics.
                Damn straight!

And boy, the CW sucks. Poor Smallville gets the least promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria26
                  No surprise there as this episodes was one of the biggest disappointment of the season for me. It was so bad and boring. Felt like things were rushed and forced.

let me guess because there was no chlollie.....the ratings attraction?......

this was a more valid episode, better than most fillers in this second half...

What can not be argued, is that this show was averaging 2.5 million viewers before the hiatus, and is now hurting to get above 2 million after weeks of pre-emptions. The network, and the network affiliates alone are killing this show's ratings right now with their scheduling tactics.
                  yeah even though the network is doing all it can to inform people of incoming episodes, hostage sneek peak and trailers have been all round the net , you tube etc, well in advance of the airing time.....why arent SV faithfuls tuning in.....its not like people dont know that SV is on friday....all im saying is that blaming preempts alone is Zzzzzzzz...maybe there is a competing show outta there that people are tuning into on fridays ...or whatever....
                  Last edited by farmboy09; 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

What happened? I dont understand... =/ Was the Iron Man effect or people just didnt watch it?

Comment

totally wb treated smallville and its other shows with alot more respect and promotion. Compared to cw and dawn o more female driven demo. But its funny smallville been able to still survive and even at times out beat the female driven shows.

Comment

Originally posted by superspider02
                        yea rag ratings been know since 1147am est.
                        Sorry about that. I need to quit scanning so fast. I missed it.

Comment

As long as Season 10 is on, I'm good!

Comment

yea no problem man. Yea usually ratings pop up around 1130-1150am est on twitter feeds like the guy who does the thr live feed site, or fancast writer matt mitovich who usually gets ratings up. Me and torwolf were first ones to posts matt's rating report today.

Comment

I hope it gets more then 2 million.
                              The season was great. I don't get why everyone hates roullete it was an OK ep.
                              I HATED Pandora, it just showed how smallville doesn't get money investment!

Comment

I want the season finale to end with 2 million + and I will be happy because I want the year to end with the average number, which was 2 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎