Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Matt Mitovich :-

#Smallville 'Hostage' delivers 1.92 million viewers/0.8 rating.

Under 2.0 million, I guess Iron Man 2 did affect the ratings.

Comment

yea i was really hoping to get at least 2.3-2.5 with what was last week 2.3 before preempt figures taken out. Oh well, once the tiv/dvr live +7 figures come it should be good. Heres hopeing next week finale gets to at least 2.3-2.5 range

Comment

Yeah I'm sure with dvr numbers factor in it will be get a bit better than that.

Comment

yea we always get about an additional mill give or take with dvr/tivo figured factored in. But yea a bit lower then i wanted but still not bad ratings overall. Just sucks we didnt get like 2.3-2.5 mill mark. I really was hoping to hit that mark this week cause what was last week numbers before the preempt factored out. Any way does any one know since there was an unscheduled preempt in san antonio i think what type of market that city/region is. Like how chicago is like 120k viewers and nyc like 150+k

Comment

The initial rating is higher than I thought, so maybe it'll improve in the finals. Hope so, it needs some good numbers for the finale. Thanks for the info.

Comment

*sigh* oh well

Comment

Originally posted by torwolf
                From Matt Mitovich :-

#Smallville 'Hostage' delivers 1.92 million viewers/0.8 rating.

Under 2.0 million, I guess Iron Man 2 did affect the ratings.
                I respectfully disagree. I know they are some hard-core SV fans out there, but there are many others (who do not post on this site), who feel SV has lost it's magic. I think it's time to stop blaming the preempts, Friday night time slot, big movie opening, etc. I wish SV was as enjoyable as it was in previous years, but it hasn't been and that's why I stopped watching.

I miss seeing the original cast on the show. I hope SV has the ability to end it's series with grace and respect to what it once was.

I am not here to start an argument. I am simply stating my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee
                  I respectfully disagree. I know they are some hard-core SV fans out there, but there are many others (who do not post on this site), who feel SV has lost it's magic. I think it's time to stop blaming the preempts, Friday night time slot, big movie opening, etc. I wish SV was as enjoyable as it was in previous years, but it hasn't been and that's why I stopped watching.

I miss seeing the original cast on the show. I hope SV has the ability to end it's series with grace and respect to what it once was.

If that were true, the show would always be this low. Unless all these viewers are tuning in to see Clark, Lois and the gang in Charade and then tuning in to see Clark, Chloe, and the gang in Sacrifice, but then suddenly not returning for Hostage, where we had fan favorites such as Martha and Perry. Why would this be the episode where these disillusioned fans decide not to come back yet they come back for the previous two?

Nope, not buying that theory. Every time an episode does bad, I see this theory pop up yet when an episode does good and fans are cheering on the ratings this theory isn't anywhere to be seen.

What makes sense is that we had a huge blockbuster movie like Iron Man out that *is* direct competition for Smallville because they are both superhero genre stories. That makes sense to me. I predicted this last week, many people did. Also, there was a preemption, though I'm not sure if that has been factored in.

Either way, I don't buy this 'the sky' is falling argument for the show because all season long, this series has been beating the odds and all season long, critics and fans have generally been very favorable towards the quality of the story.

Not to mention that the network has guaranteed us a season 10 based on those ratings. So yeah, this show still has a strong loyal fanbase.

Comment

I told people Iron man 2 would affect the ratings.Smallville has a strong fan base that remains that has helped defy the odds with move to Friday nights.Let's also remember
                    the Nielson system only records a small number of people.Numbers should rebound somewhat for the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenYarn
                      If that were true, the show would always be this low. Unless all these viewers are tuning in to see Clark, Lois and the gang in Charade and then tuning in to see Clark, Chloe, and the gang in Sacrifice, but then suddenly not returning for Hostage, where we had fan favorites such as Martha and Perry. Why would this be the episode where these disillusioned fans decide not to come back yet they come back for the previous two?

Nope, not buying that theory. Every time an episode does bad, I see this theory pop up yet when an episode does good and fans are cheering on the ratings this theory isn't anywhere to be seen.

What makes sense is that we had a huge blockbuster movie like Iron Man out that *is* direct competition for Smallville because they are both superhero genre stories. That makes sense to me. I predicted this last week, many people did. Also, there was a preemption, though I'm not sure if that has been factored in.

Either way, I don't buy this 'the sky' is falling argument for the show because all season long, this series has been beating the odds and all season long, critics and fans have generally been very favorable towards the quality of the story.

Not to mention that the network has guaranteed us a season 10 based on those ratings. So yeah, this show still has a strong loyal fanbase.
                      I am not referring to rating change of +/- 500 000 viewers. I am referring to ratings in seasons 3 or 4. SV had a loyal fan base upwards of 4 or 5 Million. With the ratings coming in at under 2 million, over 50-60% of people aren't watching. Those individuals have left for a reason: SV just isn't the same anymore.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait and see what happens to the show and it's ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee
                        I am not referring to rating change of +/- 500 000 viewers. I am referring to ratings in seasons 3 or 4. SV had a loyal fan base upwards of 4 or 5 Million. With the ratings coming in at under 2 million, over 50-60% of people aren't watching. Those individuals have left for a reason: SV just isn't the same anymore.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait and see what happens to the show and it's ratings.
                        I do not think you even need to go back to Seasons 3 or 4 - just look at the difference between this year's numbers and last year's. There were comments about how low they were last year and they were above 3.

I love this show - have since the first year but there are parts that I find that have wrecked it! But hopefully, next year is the last, so tptb can actually have a solid plan in regards to getting Clark where he needs to be.

No more stalling, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Dee

You are comparing this season to a season where this show was on a bigger network, had better promotion, was on one of the best nights and times of the week (which is pretty much anything other than Friday ) and was on the 3rd and 4th year, still very fresh.

Of course those seasons had better ratings. Everything was in their favor!

This season everything seems to be against Smallville *except* for the quality story telling and top-notch acting from so many actors, including the main cast *and* all the great guest stars, which is working to still turn in some great numbers (breaking records for the network and this night).

The fact of the matter is that last season, which was a better comparison (since it S8 retained a favorable night and time), this show was surviving without the "old writers/cast" of the early seasons being around. The best numbers for the episodes of season 8 came from episodes that were Lois/Clark heavy, and these episodes did well without AlMiles, Lex, and Lana.

The truth is in those numbers.

This season the numbers overall were, of course, going to go down, just on the change to Friday night alone, but also because it was entering it's 9th season. So the numbers did go down. But they went down within reason and then actually climbed and continued to increase! A show not doing well doesn't increase like that.

Now this second half is suffering, as it did last season, yet with certain episodes like Charade/Sacrifice, the numbers still climb up and peak at great numbers for the network. So, IMO, everything is good. Whether you agree with this or not, this season has been suffering effects from a lot of obstacles, including preemptions. For a lot of people, especially casual viewers, they may not know when to count on the show being there because sometimes its on and sometimes its not (or it is, but at a later hour). That is very confusing, and that will lose viewers.

Anyway, as I have seen others state, the only people interested in the ratings are those behind the network. The fans themselves, IMO, should be far more concerned with the quality of storytelling because that's why I tune in, to watch a good story that entertains me. Smallville can be getting 5 million or it can be getting 2 million but if the story for the 5 million is horrible then I won't be happier than I am with 2 million and a good quality season. And for seasons like S7, those higher numbers didn't guarantee a better story, not by a long shot.

So last night's episode had a low rating, but guess what, it was one of THE best episodes of the season and many of us enjoyed it more than we have other episodes of any season. It was just a great, great episode.

But hey, you want to play the ratings game. Go for it. You seem to do that every time the ratings are low. So enjoy yourself with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee

well this episode was a great one, a lot better than most epis in the second half of the season....perry and martha did not disapoint either...so surprised the ratings didnt pick up after that...

like someone said, its time to stop blaming preempts, new movies, the CW, time slot, etc, its getting old *yawn*..preempts have always been there in the previous years, when SV's ratings were high...funny enough noone was mentioning them. preempts are nothing new......heck all other shows experience the same thing on all channels...this isnt a "smallville problem only"..but anyway i really hope next week finale does some magic..

not wanting to start an argument either, just stating that i think it would be more productive to talk about what can be done to up the ratings, and attract more viewers, other than using the samo sammo old excuse "oh preempts again"...like what the farm?

Anyway, as I have seen others state, the only people interested in the ratings are those behind the network. The fans themselves, IMO, should be far more concerned with the quality of storytelling because that's why I tune in, to watch a good story that entertains me. Smallville can be getting 5 million or it can be getting 2 million but if the story for the 5 million is horrible then I won't be happier than I am with 2 million and a good quality season. And for seasons like S7, those higher numbers didn't guarantee a better story, not by a long shot.

So last night's episode had a low rating, but guess what, it was one of THE best episodes of the season and many of us enjoyed it more than we have other episodes of any season. It was just a great, great episode.

But hey, you want to play the ratings game. Go for it. You seem to do that every time the ratings are low. So enjoy yourself with that.

ummm this is the rating thread, so fans are entitled to talk about ratings, ummm seeing how storytelling is of "great" importance to u, and how ratings are'nt really any of yr concern, i wonder what u are doing in the ratings thread?.....oh i know , u are lost, and u thought this was a storytelling thread...
                            Last edited by farmboy09; 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVrnFAN
                              I do not think you even need to go back to Seasons 3 or 4 - just look at the difference between this year's numbers and last year's.
                              The last few seasons have all lost a portion of their viewership. This season is no different. Also, in comparing S8 to S9 you cannot overlook the fact that the show was moved to the worst night of the week for this network.

Those two things everyone knew would cause the ratings to go down. So, IMO, looking at the ratings alone doesn't "prove" that the show is horrible or that the writing isn't good.

There were comments about how low they were last year and they were above 3.
                              Because the second half did in fact go down, but there were also factors to explain that, however, in that case, IMO, a loss in quality of storytelling was also to blame. Here, as far as episodes like Escape go, I also see a loss of quality in storytelling but from episodes Charade to Sacrifice, and now Hostage, I feel the quality of storytelling has been superb!

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by farmboy09
                              like someone said, its time to stop blaming preempts, new movies, the CW etc..preempts have always been there in the previous years, when SV's ratings were high...
                              You want people to stop looking at REAL and LOGICAL factors that affect the ratings?

Why?

In general, the biggest factors causing a ratings decrease are the night change (to Friday) and the ninth year (every season loses ratings). Yet these should be overlooked?

If you go back beyond season 8, and you go into the very early territory, the biggest factor in the ratings is the network WB vs. CW (the WB was a bigger network--one that IMO was also a lot better at promoting the show).

These are the basic general factors in the ratings, and they are often overlooked.

From week to week, however, we also have other factors that you have listed, and they do affect ALL shows and yet they are still overlooked.

For instance, I remember when Stiletto had really low ratings last year, so many people seemed to overlook the fact that just about every single show (even on the bigger networks) that week had suffered in the ratings as well, and many like SPN had also scored all time low numbers. So those numbers weren't just reflective of SV. They were reflective of a pretty bad week for most television.

Yet these factors were ignored.

I don't see how a movie such as Iron Man 2, which is direct competition (same genre) to Smallville would NOT affect our show. If this was a Miley Cyrus movie that was still a huge box office draw in, I wouldn't be saying this because Myley Cyrus isn't competition for Smallville viewers (overall) but a movie like Iron Man 2 is.

So why ignore that?
                              Last edited by GreenYarn; 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I believe rating are down all over the board, because it is a seasonal thing, and it effect all viewing, as for comparing previous seasons to this season, you can't! technology allows us to view our favourite programs differently, even from last year. Dvrs to I phone downloads people are viewing their programs at their convenient times. This is new age of media, we as fans may not see the big picture, but the networks do. Smallville is a winner when it comes Dvd sales, download from Amazon or Itunes, and it is very popular among the foriengn countries. So I am not worry about the continue popularity of Smallville. I say this if Smallville was on week night rather than Friday night it air time viewing would be still in the 3 million range, that I am confident of.

I like to add I am one who had to work last night so I didn't get to view it at 8.00 PM and there are three more fans who work at the same place, who didn't to get view it at 8.00, but tape or Dvr the show,as for me I waited for Amazon to post the program and I pay the 2.99 without the comericals.
                                Last edited by fan of the man; 05-08-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎