No announcement yet.

Death's Ego?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death's Ego?

Death says that he can kill God? But, didn't God technically CREATE Death? I know that God represents 'life,' but He is also said to be the Alpha (beginning) and Omega (end).

I also don't get how Death can be more powerful than Lucifer. I always thought the Archangels in SPN were more powerful than anything in the universe, except God.

Death also said he couldn't remember whether he was older than God or not and we know the other gods featured in Hammer of the Gods had been around longer than God so SPN really isn't following the traditional story of creation.

Comment

So the Pagan Gods are older than THE God? And now Death is possibly older than God? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by obsessedwithsv
        Death also said he couldn't remember whether he was older than God or not and we know the other gods featured in Hammer of the Gods had been around longer than God so SPN really isn't following the traditional story of creation.
        Is that what they said, or did they say that people were worshipping them before they worshipped God? I can't remember.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Divine Skylord
        Death says that he can kill God? But, didn't God technically CREATE Death? I know that God represents 'life,' but He is also said to be the Alpha (beginning) and Omega (end).

I also don't get how Death can be more powerful than Lucifer. I always thought the Archangels in SPN were more powerful than anything in the universe, except God.

If God in Kripke's world is the creator of everything (Earth, the entire universe, etc) then Death must have been created by him because before there was creation there was no death since nothing existed meaning there was nothing to die. And I disagree that Death or anything for that matter can kill God. But in Kripke's world, who knows.
        Last edited by xrayvision; 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
          Is that what they said, or did they say that people were worshipping them before they worshipped God? I can't remember.
          I think Kali said, "We were here first." Whether that alludes to just this world or from day dot, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by obsessedwithsv
            Yeah, I don't think Kripke is strictly following one religion. I mean obviously he has drawn most from Judeo-Christian tradition, but I think he has kind of mixed it up and created his own version for the show.

So anything is possible I guess.

Comment

In regards to the Pagan Gods, I think that they meant that they were worshiped first. Considering that in SPN, that the Judeo-Christian Heaven and Hell is were ALL souls go when they die, I feel that it's pretty safe to assume that the Judeo-Christian God is the 'supreme' god.

This is why I was confused as to whether anything could kill THE Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

If God in Kripke's world is the creator of everything (Earth, the entire universe, etc) then Death must have been created by him because before there was creation there was no death since nothing existed meaning there was nothing to die. And I disagree that Death or anything for that matter can kill God. But in Kripke's world, who knows.
                I'm pretty sure that people were worshipping Pagans before they worshipped God.

I totally disagree with Death saying that he could kill God. He can't even remember if he was as old as him. I have to question why Sara Gamble wrote that into the show.

----- Added 19 Minutes later -----

Remember Dean's amulet? Supposedly it could find God. However, Joshua mentioned that God could make it so that his presence would be undetected by the amulet.

I have no doubt that God could prevent Death from reaping him or that even if he were to "die", he would resurrect himself.
                Last edited by Spirit Detective; 05-06-2010, 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just remember guys, Ruby claimed she was on the Winchesters' side, but she wasn't. Just because Death says something, doesn't mean it's true. Besides, if I recall correctly, Death said that he would reap God, not kill him.

Comment

Yeah, Death said "At the end, I'll reap him too" and "God will die too Dean"

Death makes no mention of God having the power to resurrect himself. For all we know, at the end, God will "die" by giving up his only son. He is the holy trinity: the Father, the son, and the Holy Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                      Just remember guys, Ruby claimed she was on the Winchesters' side, but she wasn't. Just because Death says something, doesn't mean it's true. Besides, if I recall correctly, Death said that he would reap God, not kill him.

Whats the difference between reap and kill, really don't see any difference. unless its means when god decides to kill himself, death will be able to reap him, in a sense as he would a human.

Or maybe God gave death the power to bring death to anything he desired, even himself. But in a sense that will be going over gods powers. even though gods powers might be infinitive, if your freeze the moment he gave death that specific power, infinity has a point and you cant go over it.

Comment

Things get weird when you think in terms of infinity

Comment

I think Death is lying I would like to see Lucifer contradict Death's statements and vice viscera because I think there is the possibility he is not the end as he would have had to come after life so he would be younger than he claims.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexfromLubbock
                            I think Death is lying I would like to see Lucifer contradict Death's statements and vice viscera because I think there is the possibility he is not the end as he would have had to come after life so he would be younger than he claims.
                            Yeah, Death wasn't present until God "turned on the lights"

Comment

Well, who knows. And that's the fun part, the not knowing. Chicken and egg all over again. They've introduced the same kind of wonderful uncertainty into the show's mythology as you find in Paradise Lost when Lucifer inspects hell only to find Demogorgon already enthroned there as if he's perhaps older than Creation and not a product of God's mind. This gave Milton's Lucifer pause, as I believe Supernatural's Death episode was intended to do for the viewers. A little ice water pouring through your heart as the armageddon shakes loose some long buried truths. Surprises along the way. The difference between biblical propaganda and real politic. Death's mention of bacteria sitting at the table with him was interesting, too. Look at us, these bigshot sentient creatures, and yet what takes us down? Little tiny disease cells. Which is an analogy for how a little guy like Death might turn his scythes on God. I like it from the standpoint that they managed to take basic myth concepts and "reinvent" them so I'm thinking about mythology in new ways. Like Pestilence, I'm looking at Supernatural's petrie dish of myth and saying, "Interesting."

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎