I'm pretty sure the Brady demon isn't the Duane Tanner demon

Even though both of them had similar demonic chalices & throughout most of the episode I thought that they were the same demon, I doubt the Brady demon is the same as the one who possessed Duane Tanner. Mainly because the Brady demon made it clear that he had been Brady ever since sophomore year & had no reason to switch meatsuits. The only time we saw that was when a demon got exorcised (like Meg), when a demon's meatsuit was taken over by another more powerful demon (like Ruby when Lilith took her meatsuit), when Lilith went "on vacation" inside various kids' meatsuits, or when a demon was in danger of being stabbed with the demon-killing knife or shot by the Colt. And I don't think the Brady demon ditched his meatsuit because he was in danger of being killed because he wouldn't have gone back into the same meatsuit. It makes no sense.

Instead, I think both of those demons are working for the same goal (the Croatoan virus) and are probably fulfilling different roles. Duane Tanner's role was more of an "R&D" role where he tested the virus on Sam. Brady's role was a manufacturing role so he could spread it in what the public believed to be vaccines but what is actually the disease itself. Though I wonder how he was planning to get that past the FDA, since they inspect everything before any vaccine is sold to the public. Maybe they have demons planted at the FDA too.

An off-shoot question I have... did we ever get 'introduced' to Brady on the show before, as in was his name ever mentioned before in relation to Sam's past @ Stanford?

Don't remember it; just curious.

No this was the first time we saw or heard of him.

It wasn't the same demon as Duane Tanner was. And also, Meg had a chalice as well, so you can't assume Duane and Brady was the same demon because of that.

And also, I think Duane Tanner was a low-level demon compared to Brady, just because when Sam stabbed Brady, his chest lighted up an orangish color, but his face lighted up with a red glow. Perhaps it was showing that Brady was more than a low-level demon; in fact, Brady burned Jessica to a crisp(as he acknowledged he was the one who did it), plus seemed pretty powerful against Dean and needed that bag on his head to bring him down. Being the Horsemen's "stable boy" and also Azazel's "pet demon" put Brady into a powerful position, imo. He was probably the most powerful black-eyed demon in Hell's ranks.

And also...so glad we get more Croatoan virus hints. I love the aspect of the virus being in a vaccine form.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael View Post
    It wasn't the same demon as Duane Tanner was. And also, Meg had a chalice as well, so you can't assume Duane and Brady was the same demon because of that.

And also, I think Duane Tanner was a low-level demon compared to Brady, just because when Sam stabbed Brady, his chest lighted up an orangish color, but his face lighted up with a red glow. Perhaps it was showing that Brady was more than a low-level demon; in fact, Brady burned Jessica to a crisp(as he acknowledged he was the one who did it), plus seemed pretty powerful against Dean and needed that bag on his head to bring him down. Being the Horsemen's "stable boy" and also Azazel's "pet demon" put Brady into a powerful position, imo. He was probably the most powerful black-eyed demon in Hell's ranks.

And also...so glad we get more Croatoan virus hints. I love the aspect of the virus being in a vaccine form.
    I agree except I'm not sure about Duane since we hardly got any info about him. His job was to test Sam & leave undetected and he was successful. I really hope we see him again to find out more about him.

Ehh, it doesn't seem like he was of any importance, so I don't really care if he shows up ever again. He was pretty much like the janitor in this episode where he tests on one of those scientists, then locks the door to watch the infected eat the uninfected man. Duane was just a tool to get Sam to come to the town and see if it doesn't affect Sam in any way. Plus, I see with the one appearance of him as something Dean says at the end of the episode, "I'm feeling like this is the one that got away."...or something like that, haha.

And also, on a different forum that I'm on, someone said that the name 'Brady' is tossed around in the Pilot by Sam himself. I need to re-watch the series premiere now.

Kneel before Castiel! Spirit Detective's Avatar

Me too

I'm glad that Dean mentioned how Pestilence has the Croatoan virus "up his sleeve".

Ehh, it doesn't seem like he was of any importance, so I don't really care if he shows up ever again. He was pretty much like the janitor in this episode where he tests on one of those scientists, then locks the door to watch the infected eat the uninfected man. Duane was just a tool to get Sam to come to the town and see if it doesn't affect Sam in any way. Plus, I see with the one appearance of him as something Dean says at the end of the episode, "I'm feeling like this is the one that got away."...or something like that, haha.

And also, on a different forum that I'm on, someone said that the name 'Brady' is tossed around in the Pilot by Sam himself. I need to re-watch the series premiere now.
    I have the DVD sets stacked right next to my laptop. I should check it out too because I definitely don't remember it. If it's true, then that's some real continuity there.

I really want to see Duane again since I'd like to see the events of that episode connect with whatever will happen with the virus. And the fact that he got away undetected makes me think he's of significance & that he isn't just some average Joe demon & is what really interests me. What I always liked about this show is how they usually connect to an unresolved plot from a previous season by actually bringing the character back who was previously associated with that plot, unlike Smallville, which either leaves plots unresolved or gives some half-assed explanation that is full of plotholes & provides no link to the unresolved plot. I like how the brought Tessa back in Death Takes a Holiday & then gave us insight into what was going on in Dean's mind during season 2. Also, Duane was way ahead of the game & was involved in the virus back in season 2 when Lucifer was still a ways from being released.

Then again the actor seems to be a regular in a current show, so he may not be available.

But I have a lot invested in the Croatoan plot since that has remained to be my favorite episode of the series, so if Kripke doesn't connect to the actual events of that episode, it will be a big personal disappointment for me. I really want it to be confirmed what he's been doing since then, why he was involved in the Croatoan virus from so early on, who he was reporting to, and what happened with all the people in that town (I have my own & read other theories about these but until it's confirmed they're just theories). With the virus popping up again so late in the season, I think my suspicions about the Croatoan virus being released as revenge or payback for sending Lucifer back to hell & it being the primary fallout from the Apocalypse and the main topic of season 6 could turn out to be true. And that would be awesome since the plot has a lot of potential. It wouldn't surprise me because I think it will be released a lot earlier than 2012 after the future seen in The End was drastically changed. Plus, Pestilence probably knows about the plan to get the rings thanks to the demons who bugged Crowley, so the deadline for releasing the virus has probably been bumped up ahead of what was previously planned to meet a more rigorous schedule.
    Last edited by xrayvision; 04-29-2010 at 10:35 PM.