Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Charade?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BadToad
    I think my biggest issue with this episode....and what took me completely out of this whole *triangle for two, Lois loves both halves of him* thing is that The Blur that Lois has been bonding with these past few months/weeks(?), and the one thats given her this sense of purpose, and the one thats she's been helping....isn't Clark. Its Zod pretending to be The Blur. Yes, its Clark's deeds as The Blur that Lois admires, but thats not really what she was talking about. She was talking about how her helping, and working directly with him had her conflicted. And that wasn't Clark.

So, that sort of raises the issue...is Lois' connection to The Blur because she loves the other half of Clark, and she knows, deep down, its him? But that sort of flies in the face of that fact that she's been conversing with, and working for, a whole other Blur, and she never seemed to sense any disconnect.

The episode sort of glossed over this whole issue (as SV is known to do), but its definitely a problem, IMO.

As per Clark, he hasn't called Lois as The Blur "for months". As per Lois, her working with The Blur has given her a sense of duty and purpose, and she's finding her loyalties, and affections, torn. But the elephant in the room is the fact that Zod had a hand in that, and its Zod's faux Blur that has given Lois this sense of purpose.

This isn't really a triangle for two, because there are 3 people involved. JMO
    Now that I think about it, yup. You're right.

Comment

• Originally posted by jor-eldeux
      Semantic argument at this point - however - your last statement - BINGO - I will wholeheartly agree there.... and after I was just going to enjoy the season ... and not complain.

Three days later - the agitation has passed ... too much to be liked ... a lot of Superman ... I just wish they would turn him loose and let him be the Man - and Lois the Woman with the Man. Fully releasing her character relies on TW being Superman. If they let him be Superman - Chloe's opinions don't mean anything.

Come on Friday.
      Yeah... it's pointless to argue lol. Especially about something that was just used as an obvious plot device. As for the bolded part, that won't happen for some time. Because once it does, the series would be over. Maybe [hopefully] next year. I really want them to go with the notion that this next season is the final season. No matter what happens. Whether numbers pick up or completely fail, the 10th season will be the final season of Smallville.

Comment

• 8/10 good episode kinda reminded me of an early episode of lois and clark

Comment

• After my CW channel screwing up on Friday, i finally got to watch this on the website!!!

8. It was good, but I could deal with minimizing it and looking up other stuff on the internet (not a great sign of interest level). At first I was really confused because I missed the "Yesterday" part, so I was thinking: Why are they at the DP? Aren't they fired?!? Haha

I'm kind of glad that the Blur-Lois storyline is (supposedly) fading. It was getting a bit too dramatic and I've always felt that there wasn't enough interaction between Lois and the Blur to make her have such strong feelings about him. Clark FTW

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaderoyale
            Oh hello. Its been a while hasn't it? I haven't reviewed the past three episodes due to personal reasons, being angry at the writers and generally laziness at life. But after last night, i knew it was time to attempt a review again. I'm going to be highly rusty, i am aware of that much so bare with me. Still spoiler free. Its nice.

I saw loads of Idol in the "previously on" and i knew this episode was going to make me highly happy. I had no idea emotion was part of that deal.

WIN

Clarks hair. Seriously, needs its own area code. And i need to run my hands through it.

Lois in a bunny outfit. When she popped right out of that cake i almost died with absolute amazement. Damnit that woman is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Chlo/Lo. YAY! Always a welcome scene to see, and this one was no exception. I like that Lois doesn't seem at all bothered by Chloe and Oliver dating (or whatever the hell they're doing with each other that can be mentioned under a PG rating). Finally we got an insight from one part of Clois in regards to their feelings for each other, i can't tell you how peeved its made me having other characters saying that Clark and Lois are in love with each other. I'd rather one of the two mentioned it to another character and came to that assumption theirself like Lois did. I also like that Chloe was ready to give her advice on that part. I seriously miss Chlo-Lo when they aren't on my screen. They're lovely to watch and Erica and Allison play extremley well off each other.

Chloe and Tess. I like this dynamic for some reason. Chloe did NOT bug me at all in this episode like she has been the past three episodes, which was a new development. What i liked was her calling Tess out on her "dedication" to the Kandorians; its becoming evidentally clear that Tess is going down the path that Pandora!Tess went down, which ultimately ended up with her with an arrow in her chest (which i am PRAYING doesn't happen because i LOVE Tess). I actually liked Tess' obvious jealousy at Chloe's relationship with Oliver, that much was evident; i think its clear that Tess still has feelings for Oliver (i pretty much got this from Checkmate as well, but that episode angered me so lets not go back there for now) - though its hard to decipher whether they are just feelings of friendship or something more. Justin and Cassidy have amazing chemistry as it is, so i personally really want another scene between the two of them now before the season ends; preferably with Oliver dressed a Green Arrow.

The return of DA Sachs, oh you sleezy SOB. How sleezy is he though really?! I love it, even though i shouldn't. I still also love the fact he was Aaron on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, ahaha you got jilted at the altar for Harvey!! Sorry. Did you see his face when Lois popped on out of that cake?! Man may hate her journalist intergrity, but he appriciated the body ahaha. He was just as evil as in Idol, with his distaste for the Blur and i loved that. Also loved Clark knocking him the hell out and crushing that darn chess piece like it was a piece of paper. Thats my angry Clarkie.

Lois Lane. Just. Her. Everything about her in this episode was perfect. Spot on. Proof as to why all us Erica fans were insane on twitter getting #EDfor22 to trend. Which it did, several times; which is absolute win. Take heed PSW. We need her in all 22 episodes next season. She is perfect. In fact the Lois in this episode for me was very reminscent of Margot Kidder ala Superman II minus the part when she finds out Clark is Superman.

Maxwell Lord. Besides his receeding hairline scaring the crap out of me, he was awesome. And now is it obvious hes going to be in cahoots with the Red Queen. Damn she had some legs on her didn't she? I am so preying its Martha. Theres loads of theories being thrown around about the Red Queen and Martha and Lana are coming up trumps. I'd prefer Martha, obviously. Not because of Clana, but because it would make more sense; a person of the government taking on an organisation that claims they're working for the government.

Maxwell/Lois/Blur scene. Oh. Oh. I just. Oh. It was so... it was lovely. At first if not confusing trying to figure out who Maxwell was referring to when he said the bond of love. Was he referring to Lois loving Clark or the Blur? Thats the ultimate question that hung in the air, i think for everyone and Clark to. Yet i think Maxwell was referring to them BOTH. Because i know deep down Lois knows Clark is the Blur; hence why she was fighting to keep her memories so hard; it was HER memories that were filling in the hologram with Clarks features (she has NEVER seen the Blur, only his body outline, NOTHING of his face). When Clark stood behind her and she could see the hologram i almost died. I thought he was going to tell her who he was then and there. I was so tense. Then he put his hand on her shoulder and i swear i heard Clois fans worldwide scream in utter delight. And you know what? That little thumb rub he did is significant. Clarks going to end up doing that to Lois somewhere along the line and i think she'll put the pieces together (finally) and realise that Clark is the Blur, but she won't say anything.

Lois/Blur breakup. Firstly LOL. Blur broke up with Lois. I wasn't aware they were in a relationship with each other haha. This scene was perfect for me because of Tom. Seriously, i don't know ANY male actor that convey so much emotion with his facial expressions as Tom does. I am still so grateful Tom agreed to be Clark, because i can NOT imagine anybody else playing the role as well as he does. Did you hear his voice break? -sniffs- When he asked Lois if there was someone else in her life that meant as much and she said no, i actually started sobbing. I felt SO bad for Clark, because thats the moment that I as a Superman/Clark/Lois fan have been dreading all season really. The moment Lois favour of Superman/The Blur becomes evident to Clark and he realises/thinks that maybe he can never measure up to her admiration of him. Which is heartbreaking because Clark IS him, he knows that he has that part that Lois needs, but he can't tell her that, and that destroys me.

Last Clois scene. I've watched this twice. And cried more the second time i watched it than the first. It was just so. It was beautiful. It was NOT a breakup, let me set that straight, alright? Lol. Lois coming clean to Clark was a revelation, something he wasn't expecting i'm guessing, he said it was okay that she lied because she was protecting the Blur, but Lois was having non of that. Thanks to her believing in the Blur and lying to Clark for him, she's started to have doubts and that broke my heart; i know Lois knows that Clark is the one for her, she stated so in Upgrade, but this whole episode was a rollercoaster of emotions for her; she got what she always wanted; slight contact with the Blur, if only a touch on the hand, which to her, prooved he was real. Yes she knows he's real, but to actually touch him and have him touch her must have broken her heart. What made this scene so beautiful, was Clark, trying his damn hardest to get Lois to see that what they have is worth giving a shot, being understanding towards her feelings for the Blur. "Am i enough?". That. Broke. My. Heart. Seriously. Clark you are MORE than enough. So much more. The fact he now believes he isn't good enough for Lois is absolutely heartbreaking; he should know that he is. He is the Blur. But of course Lois seems more infatuated with the Blur than him, at least thats whats shes led him to believe. I cannot believe they ended the episode like that. I thought, maybe declarations of love may happen (i am fickle and niave when it comes to my Clois), maybe they were FINALLY gonna take back that damn roof. But noooooooooooooo. What i got was lovely angst that made sense which made me break my heart like a damn fool.

MEH

Lois punching Clark. I hope people noticed on the second viewing when it happened, that Clarks face didn't even move from the force of the punch. Its moments like this that i get annoyed, because she punched him in the abs in Combat and almost broke her hands from the feel of his skin, so why didn't anything happen here? She should have noticed the punch had NO effect on him whatsoever, even if she is a woman punching a man (i'm not being sexist, but its fair to say if a woman punches a man it won't hurt him as much as when a man punches a man -shrugs-)

Clark and Lois getting fired from the Daily Planet. This doesn't look good for me, because i can honestly only see Lois getting back in there not Clark. Lois, unlike Clark, was hired by Grant on the basis of an article she wrote for the Inqusiter (her fight club article), and Clark was hired ultimately by Tess so she could keep an eye on him and learn more about him. So in my eyes, if one is to be rehired, on that basis it will be Lois. Which in a weird way does not bother me. I wasn't a huge fan of how Clark got into the Planet as it was. Though, this would be an excellent opportunity for the two of them to maybe WORK TOGETHER on an article, that gets them both back into the Planet, based solely on their investigating and writing skills. As the team/writing duo we know so well. Heres hoping.

First Clois arguement. The only reason i've put this in the "meh" section is because it destroyed my soul. I felt SO bad for Clark, because he was doing the right thing, trying to find out who the Blur was, because ultimately it wasn't him and therefore Lois was in danger. Yet he couldn't be honest with her about why he wanted to know, and when you could see on his face that he was going to tell it was him, Lois gave him every reason WHY he couldn't tell her; which was just heartbreaking to watch. Although in a way i wish Lois hadn't said that to him. These are the kind of things we need Clark himself to realise and verbalise to himself or someone else thats listening to him at the time.

Chloe basically telling Clark what he needed to do in regards to his relationship as the Blur with Lois. While it was nice to have this scene between the two of them without annoyance from me, its another moment where I just wanted Clark to realise it. Fair enough he said "i know what i have to do" - if he knew then why did he need reassurance? I know Clark thinks he never makes the right decisions, but he knows deep down that he does; this decision was for Lois safety, and because he cares about her so much, he shouldn't have had to think twice about it IMO.

FAIL

Not understanding the time frame betwen episodes. This is something i think the writers NEED to address more. While i LOVED the Clois end scene; my only nagging part about it is the fact that last week in Upgrade Lois told John that Clark was "it" for her. Which is all good. But, this episode she suddenly has doubts thanks to her talks with the Blur. It doesn't make sense if this happens in the space of a week. Feelings don't just pop back up and take over in a week. Fair enough Lois feelings towards the Blur were strong in the first place; but in Idol she chose Clark and let her feelings for the Blur take a backseat. For me it would make sense if Zod/Blur has been phoning Lois for about 3 weeks for her feelings to full manifest to the state that she's doubting the relationship with the man she believes she loves.

- - - -

Excuse me if this review is pretty inconsistant and rusty. Lol.
            Basically this episode is tied with Idol for me as the best of the season so far, despite my little gripes with it. So the rating is 9.7/10, exactly the same as Idol. I was dying to give it a solid ten, but i won't.

Next week Sacrifice. Will Jade review again? Who knows.

Wonderful agree with everything within.

I would also add that Zod not being in this one was a bit of a let down, I loved this ep but I think he would have added to it played off the blur/lois/clark triangle thing. Also Chloe reminded me of the girl I used to know and love and I really liked her in this episode...-sigh-

thanks for the review jade!

Comment

• I enjoyed this episode very much. This episode will be 1 of my favorite episodes (along with Savior, Metallo, Rabid & Idol).

Comment

• I was wondering, as I'm not a huge fan of Clark's lo-jacking Lois or stealing her phone, or needing Chloe's Watchtower to do the things that he could so easily do himself, and Al Septien tweeted us last week that[SPOILER] Clark would be making these mistakes but learning from them[/SPOILER]. Since I haven't seen that yet, but I did notice several mentions of him doing what he actually should have been doing in Charade. When he mentions to Chloe that he wasn't using his abilities to spy on her...which he shouldn't, but he most certainly could use them to keep an eye out for her...and also in WT when Chloe tells him that zoom lenses are no match for xray vision. I'm wondering if those weren't intentional, b/c really, Clark should have a ear out for Lois' voice and/or her heartbeat. He would have known instantly that she'd been kidnapped, and where she was in this episode. He also could have keyed into her phone convo and learned what was going on that way, rather than using the WT tactics. Just a random thought I had about the episode.

Comment

• I'm a little late in responding here, but I thought it was really good. I gave it a 9 (very rarely give 10's). The scenes with Clark and Lois on the phone, and then at the end, were really well done all around. I hope they don't do the on again, off again thing with them. Clark and Lois just need to stay together.

Anyway, it was great!

Comment

• Originally posted by hellokitty
                    I was wondering, as I'm not a huge fan of Clark's lo-jacking Lois or stealing her phone, or needing Chloe's Watchtower to do the things that he could so easily do himself, and Al Septien tweeted us last week that[SPOILER] Clark would be making these mistakes but learning from them[/SPOILER]. Since I haven't seen that yet, but I did notice several mentions of him doing what he actually should have been doing in Charade. When he mentions to Chloe that he wasn't using his abilities to spy on her...which he shouldn't, but he most certainly could use them to keep an eye out for her...and also in WT when Chloe tells him that zoom lenses are no match for xray vision. I'm wondering if those weren't intentional, b/c really, Clark should have a ear out for Lois' voice and/or her heartbeat. He would have known instantly that she'd been kidnapped, and where she was in this episode. He also could have keyed into her phone convo and learned what was going on that way, rather than using the WT tactics. Just a random thought I had about the episode.
                    I think they make Clark rely on Chloe instead of his abilities because AM has 22 episodes and they need a reason for Chloe to be in the show. I like Watchtower, but I am always wondering why Clark asks Chloe for info when he could just use super-hearing or x-ray vision. JMO.

Comment

• Definitely a 10/10. I put this episode right up there with the Top 5 episodes of Smallville as a SERIES! Outstanding!
                      Last edited by Imzadia; 05-02-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Let me see:

1. No annoying cat fights - check!

2. Lois didn't kill anybody - check!

3. Clark saves the day - check!

Yup! Definitely liked this episode. Loved the ending, too. They did that just right. I love the Lois and Blur moment right after he rescues her. And Tom Welling didn't even have to say any dialog in that scene! Now, that's superb acting.

Comment

• just re-watching this episode on dvd. Before I didn't have much of an opinion on it because it didn't feel like much was really happening, even if it was/wasn't a filler. But now I'm watching it again and I really like it. I have to say, when they make you forget that Clark and the Blur are the same person, you know they're doing the right thing.

Comment

• I loved this episode! The Blur telling Lois that he won't contact her again was so sad and, Clark asking her ''Am I enough?'' OMG. I gave this episode 10/10! Great acting from ED and TW
                            Last edited by Livstevi21; 10-04-2010, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• I loved it! Great way to portray the famous love triangle. Everyone did great.

Comment

• In one scene, it's revealed that Checkmate's been releasing violent offenders that Clark has put away. I like this. In the "Absolute Justice" two-parter, we learn that they have also released all the baddies that the JSA:ers fought. Between that, and Greg Arkin's cameo in "Homecoming", we're dealing with a possibility that Checkmate has released everyone whom Clark has put away since 2001 (okay, it didn't include someone like Toyman, but he might have been too high-profile for them to just release). They might have done this with all the villains that all of the superheroes have ever put away. Then, with Checkmate gone, all those villains would be free to go. All of the villains, that the heroes of this world has spent decades putting away, released at one time.

Likely keeping the superheroes of this world busy for the next few years. It's not a topic explored in the season 11 comic, but you can view it as something that begins to get more noticed in the years following that. The whole thing creates a motivation for the busy lives of the superheroes, that we see in mainstream comics. Why there are so many supervillains around: the superheroes of Earth spent decades putting them away, the first time, then Checkmate released them all at the same time, and they got away following the destruction of Checkmate. First keeping their heads down, until their renewed criminal activities attracts the attention of the heroes. The need to tackle the returning villains is then combined with the continued emergence of newer supervillains. Forcing someone like Superman to tangle with both villains like Ian Randall and Tommy Lee, and new ones like Atomic Skull and Blackrock.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎