Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alia, Brainiac & his end game, and the Book of Rao (theory, no spoilers please)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alia, Brainiac & his end game, and the Book of Rao (theory, no spoilers please)

Several months ago, I was haunted by the question as to why Alia had powers under a yellow sun in Savior and under a red sun in Pandora and came up with a theory explaining it. The theory can be found at the link below:

Post your wildest theories, speculation, musings about what's going to happen on the show. ALL threads containing spoilers must be marked with the word SPOILER in the subject line.

Basically it said that Alia was a prototype version of Brainiac. But since then, more information has been presented and I came up with a scenario that is much more likely. I also realized that I wrongly interpreted a scene in Kandor, and the clarification of that scene is what really got me going. The scene I’m talking about is the one where Chloe sees Jor-El opening the vent on the camera she set up at the farm. Until yesterday, I thought Jor-El put the Book of Rao in the vent, but after watching the episode again, it seems like he took it out of the vent. It’s clear to me now that retrieving the Book of Rao was his reason for showing up at Smallville since he had no knowledge of Clark living there. It’s obvious that the real Jor-El, whose memories the clone Jor-El in Kandor had, placed the Book of Rao in the vent on one of his earlier trips to Smallville, quite possibly to hide it from Black Zero during that Kryptonian civil war that destroyed Kandor. So therefore the clone Jor-El came to retrieve it. This raised a big question---since Jor-El is dead, who has the Book of Rao?

Well, in Persuasion, we found out that Alia was the one who killed the Jor-El clone. She was working alongside Zod, but did not give the Book of Rao to him, because he would have it in his possession by now, had that been the case. Some people probably think that Tess has it and took it after her men kidnapped Jor-El by going through his pockets. But I can’t believe that because that would mean that Tess & Alia were working together because it’s obvious based on motive that the person who took the Book of Rao is the one who murdered Jor-El, as they would not want anyone to know they had the Book of Rao. So if Tess has the Book of Rao yet Alia killed him, it would mean that she & Alia were partners of some sort and she had Alia kill Jor-El to end any trail to the Book of Rao since Jor-El would have surely told Clark or someone else about it had he been allowed to live. And I’m just not willing to believe that Tess & Alia forged some sort of alliance, since Alia was not fond of humans. So in my opinion, Alia is the one who killed Jor-El specifically for the motive of taking the Book of Rao & preventing anyone from finding out about it.

My opinion is that the reason Alia was not loyal to Zod & killed Jor-El for the Book of Rao without giving it to him is because Brainiac possessed her.

Now is where I will lay out some facts & mix up some speculation with the facts to establish my theory:

1. Brainiac’s true objectives are to free the real Zod’s spirit from the Phantom Zone & also to amass as much knowledge as possible about everything. This was clearly apparent in season 5, again in season 7 (in the Apocalypse timeline), and again in season 8 in Legion when Brainiac took over the Fortress for the purpose of increasing his knowledge.

In Legion Chloeiac said these lines to Clark:
    “Your father’s gone and all the knowledge this Fortress ever held finally belongs to me”
    “My hunger is never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me”.

The Book of Rao would certainly satisfy the hunger for knowledge requirement of Brainiac. And he is programmed to release the real Zod and does not particularly care for his clone because Zod’s clone being free while the real Zod’s phantom is left to rot in the Phantom Zone would not satisfy what Brainiac was programmed to do.

2. In Beast, Clark used the black Brainiac crystal that we first saw in Solitude to open a portal to the Phantom Zone when he tried to send Davis there. That crystal was a part of Brainiac, just like Milton Fine (which is what Jor-El told Clark in Vessel). Jor-El’s exact words in Vessel were “Fine is merely an extension of the craft that can regenerate in any form”. Therefore that black crystal was indeed one of the forms that Brainiac took since it came from the Black Ship aka Brainiac. Another very interesting thing to note is the timing. Not long after Beast, actually the very next episode in Injustice, we found out that a voice from the orb started speaking to Tess & told her to destroy the black Brainiac crystal that was in Clark’s possession. It should also be noted that in Beast, Clark inserted the black Brainiac crystal into the crystal console at the Fortress. This is what’s so interesting about the timing, because the very next episode (Injustice) is when the voice started being heard from the orb. In that episode, Tess told the voice that the crystal was destroyed. However, in Kara, Kara told Clark that only a Kryptonian could destroy the blue crystal Zor-El gave her, and that blue crystal was very similar to the black Brainiac crystal. So by similar logic, the black Brainiac crystal nor any other Kryptonian crystal can be destroyed by a human. Based on the events in Beast & Injustice, my thoughts are that plugging the black Brainiac crystal into the Fortress reactivated Brainiac in that crystal & he was able to communicate with the orb, even using the orb as his mouthpiece since both the technology of the orb & that of the crystal was Kryptonian. I should also point out that when Clark inserted the black Brainiac crystal, the Fortress was still damaged due to Brainiac’s previous presence in it, which may have also played a factor in reactivating the copy of Brainiac in the crystal. The voice even gave away the location of the crystal to Tess since she found it easily without having to ransack Clark’s barn or house. Then, once Tess brought it to the mansion, she witnessed the crystal being absorbed by the orb, either by it turning into that black ooze or by it turning into energy & being collected into the orb. The orb of course knew this, so in the last scene in Injustice, Tess told it something it already knew. Possible proof that the black Brainiac crystal was absorbed by the orb was how the orb was able to move on its own & break out of Tess’ vault in Doomsday, which it was never able to do before. It should also be noted that the Legion would have had no idea about this since their knowledge of the future was one that didn’t include Chloe. So to them Brainiac was defeated in 2009. But what changed & what they weren’t aware of in Legion when they visited Clark was that Chloe’s survival would lead her to run off with Davis, which led to Clark inserting the black Brainiac crystal into the crystal console to reactivate another source of Brainiac. This is something that did not happen or need to happen in the timeline the Legion was aware of when they showed up in Legion.

3. The voice of the orb isn’t the voice of Zod, Faora, nor any other Kandorian we heard. On top of that, the Kandorians while in the orb were not able to speak since they didn’t have bodies. They existed in the orb simply as pieces of DNA (that we saw Jor-El place in the orb in Kandor) that formed into bodies once the orb opened up. The only ones we have ever seen who could talk from a device/piece of technology like the orb are the Jor-El AI, Brainiac & Zor-El's programming in his blue crystal which imitated Lara in Blue. We know it wasn’t Jor-El, since he wouldn’t want the orb opened. It wasn't Zor-El's programming in his blue crystal since that crystal was destroyed. That leaves only Brainiac. And now that I think of it, the voice sounded like a scrambled version of Brainiac’s voice that we heard at the very end of Abyss.

4. Alia was seen to have powers under the yellow sun, as seen when she used heatvision & superspeed in Savior and when the sun’s radiation was being reflected back to Earth as red in Pandora. The only one we’ve seen having powers under both suns was Brainiac. He had powers on Earth & powers on Krypton (in Apocalypse). We also know that in season 7 he possessed Casey Brock and needed time to reconstruct his body after he broke out as that ooze in Wrath. By the time we saw him in Persona, he already had his body back, though he was in need of repair. So I think he possessed Alia when she was released from the orb. But unlike the scenario with Casey Brock, he couldn’t just leave Alia in a coma, since she was one of Zod’s troops and he would likely investigate if he found her in a similar coma. So instead, he possessed Alia and gathered/deposited the materials needed to reconstruct his body at an unknown location. Once he had enough materials, the ooze that possessed Alia exited her & covered the collected material & formed into Brainiac.

5. Brainiac has shapeshifting abilities, as we have seen in season 5 when he took the form of Jonathan Kent in Oracle and again in season 7 when he took Lionel’s form in Persona & Kara’s form in Arctic. So once Brainiac reconstructed his body, he used Alia’s form to move around unrecognized. Another important piece of evidence is that Jor-El did not know who attacked him & gave him the mortal wounds that killed him when Clark asked him in Kandor. So this rules out Tess, Zod, and pretty much any Kandorian since he would likely know them since the DNA samples he placed in the orb would have been marked. This could mean that by Kandor, Brainiac had already reconstructed his own body & was able to shapeshift into a form that Jor-El wasn’t familiar with. Perhaps he took his classic Milton Fine form, since Brainiac hadn’t been invented until a few years before Krypton’s destruction, based on how Lara spoke of Brainiac in the 1986 flashback scene in Lara when she was in Smallville with Kara. So Jor-El would likely be unfamiliar with his Milton Fine form. And killing Jor-El for the Book of Rao would fall right in line with how he killed Dax-Ur for the knowledge he needed to repair himself in Persona.

6. Brainiac can also create multiple copies of himself once he’s in his own body. This happened a great deal in season 5 and happened again in season 7 when one copy of him was destroyed on Krypton in Apocalypse while another copy was still on Earth that took the form of Kara in Arctic and eventually switched back to his regular form. This ability would go a long way in helping him survive and fool Clark, though from what I’m thinking, it may have not even been necessary.

7. Tess didn’t even know the Book of Rao existed, so therefore she would have no idea to specifically look for it. If she searched his pockets after he was kidnapped & took it, then that would mean that she & Alia had an alliance of sorts (for Alia to take the blame of killing Jor-El) and that to me is highly unlikely.

The Bottom Line: My thoughts

Based on all the facts & assumptions I laid out above, I will now lay out the scenario that I think happened.

In Beast, Clark inserted the black Brainiac crystal in the Fortress and activated the copy of Brainiac in that crystal. The copy of Brainiac in the crystal then communicated with the orb (either in Clark’s barn cellar or while plugged into the FoS) and used the orb as its mouthpiece to talk to Tess & told her to destroy the crystal in order to release the life in the orb. This was a trick to get Tess to steal the crystal & bring it close enough to the orb so the orb could absorb it or turn the crystal into ooze that would cover & possess the orb. This happened around the events of Injustice. Once Doomsday was buried in Doomsday, the orb opened & released Zod, the Kandorians, and Brainiac. As Alia was released in both timelines, she was possessed by the Brainiac ooze. I will refer to this Alia as Brainiac-possessed Alia. Brainiac-possessed Alia started collecting deposits of materials needed to reconstruct Brainiac's own body. Various weeks passed by, and by the events of Pandora the latest (most likely much earlier), he finally reconstructed his own body.

Even though the events of Pandora will not happen in the current timeline's future as in the original Pandora (doomed future) timeline, by the time that elapsed from the opening of the orb until the events of Pandora, Brainiac had reconstructed his body in the original timeline. This is very important since it can get confusing. So to clarify what I said, I will state it differently. Let’s say the events of Pandora, which is in the original season 9 timeline, took place X days after the day the orb opened, which would be just after the last scene in Doomsday. What I’m saying is that those same X days after the day the orb opened in the altered timeline (the one currently happening), Brainiac (as the Brainiac-possessed Alia) would have also reconstructed his body, but didn't because the Brainiac-possessed Alia confessed to murdering Jor-El & sacrificed himself when Alia's body was burned in Persuasion.

Now we must go back to the original timeline since the altered timeline is based on it. In Pandora, which took place several months after the construction of the towers (probably spring of 2010) when Zod had been in control for quite some time, the Alia that killed Chloe was Brainiac in his own body after shapeshifting into Alia’s form. In the original timeline, the events of Kandor did not happen & Clark never met Jor-El’s clone & did not try to save Zod as Jor-El told him to in Kandor. Instead, the Book of Rao was never uncovered by Jor-El and Brainiac was hanging around the Kandorians disguised as Alia waiting to find something. After killing Chloe, Brainiac in Alia’s form supersped & time traveled back to 2009 with Lois because now he would have his own body much earlier on in 2009 without having to reconstruct it. This now takes us to Savior, where there are now 2 Alia’s—one of them is the 2009 Brainiac-possessed Alia seen in the Luthor mansion and the other is Brainiac in his own body in the form of Alia who time traveled from 2010. The 2009 Brainiac-possessed Alia met the actual Brainiac in the form of Alia & it was decided he/she would take the role of a spy in this timeline after the 2 planned it out. The 2010 Brainiac in the form of Alia allowed his body to be impaled with that sword in Savior (which would not kill him) in order to fool Clark & he allowed Clark to bury him. Once Clark buried him, Brainiac as Alia rose & continued with his plans. In Kandor, the Brainiac-possessed Alia alerted Brainiac that Jor-El was captured and he had the Book of Rao on him. Brainiac then sped to the mansion, took the Book of Rao & killed Jor-El in his Milton Fine form, which the Jor-El clone did not recognize, later on when Jor-El was released. By this time, Brainiac had the Book of Rao & any trail leading to him or the Book of Rao was gone. The Brainiac-possessed Alia sacrificed himself (similar to how Brainiac did in Vessel to free Zod) by confessing the murder of Jor-El. That copy was destroyed when Alia’s body was burned in the Kryptonian funeral in Persuasion.

Brainiac’s End Game:

With everything I entailed, we have at least 1 copy of Brainiac (if he didn’t make other copies of himself) who has all the knowledge of the Book of Rao and will finally accomplish his end game. And the end game is to free General Zod from the Phantom Zone and have him possess Major Zod’s body.

And that’s my prediction---Major Zod will be saved from succumbing to the evil that General Zod succumbed to, but will be mortally wounded by Brainiac & have his body possessed by General Zod, the destroyer of Krypton. This would accomplish both of Brainiac’s prime objectives (freeing General Zod & acquiring vast knowledge from the Book of Rao).

I actually came up with the end game after watching Kandor & listed it as the 3rd option in a poll I posted in my thread:

The KryptonSite/KSiteTV forums are a place originally created to discuss the WB/CW series Smallville which expanded to cover all kinds of TV, movies, and more!

I actually got some feedback in post #25 of that thread from Skaterpen357. He seems to think the redemption angle would be interesting too. I could definitely see it happening. It would show tremendous progress for Clark to actually do something nobody was able to do & that’s prevent Zod from going evil. At the same time, his triumph would be ruined by Brainiac, who would make General Zod absorb Major Zod & finally become the one & only Zod of the Smallville universe. It would also bring the Zod character where he needs to be (General Zod).
    Last edited by xrayvision; 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM.

Interesting theory, however i am beginning to think the "red queen" (whoever he or she may be) may have procured the book of rao.

Comment

You forget one thing, when Kara as brainiac in a earlier season tried to take the orb (control the traveler storyline), he/she couldn't do it.
      Wouldn't it be reasonable to think that Brainiac should be able to touch something like that if your theory was true ?

Comment

I have always ben a fan of brainiac on the show, even over lex. there is just so much u can do with everyone, yet brainiac, there is always somthing.

This theory is very interesting. as much as i would love to have this as a plot line, i think the writers are going down the path of the red queen having the book as stated by billy k

Comment

Originally posted by wendelboe
          You forget one thing, when Kara as brainiac in a earlier season tried to take the orb (control the traveler storyline), he/she couldn't do it.
          Wouldn't it be reasonable to think that Brainiac should be able to touch something like that if your theory was true ?
          Yes, but similarly he couldn't touch the Fortress of Solitude back in season 5 without being destroyed. Yet in season 8, he covered the entire Fortress with his ooze.

Also, they retconned the entire purpose of the orb from a weapon against Kryptonians (particularly the Traveler) to a device that preserved Kryptonian clones. Even the origin was retconned from an unknown creator who hid it ages ago in the Luthor mansion fireplace & its key in a clock commissioned around WWII to Jor-El being the creator. And the retconned origin didn't even involve a key to the orb.

Comment

You kind of forgot about the BlueK fight between Clark and Alia in Savior. If Alia was possessed by Brainiak, then she should of easily overpowered Clark and killed him.

Didn't Zod beat up Jor-El before Alia killed him ? I would think Zod would of found the BoR on Jor-El, unless Alia was one of the solders that took Jor-El from Tess.

I like you theory though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrT
              You kind of forgot about the BlueK fight between Clark and Alia in Savior. If Alia was possessed by Brainiak, then she should of easily overpowered Clark and killed him.

Didn't Zod beat up Jor-El before Alia killed him ? I would think Zod would of found the BoR on Jor-El, unless Alia was one of the solders that took Jor-El from Tess.

I like you theory though.
              Thanks.

I don't think Brainiac would have wanted Clark dead though since Clark was an asset to him so many times before. He could have seen Clark having powers vs. the Kandorians not having powers as an advantage (one that would keep Zod & even Clark occupied). And since he probably knew Jor-El was in the orb, he knew he could have spied on Jor-El & Clark to find out about the Book of Rao once the two met up. Even though their meeting was short, Jor-El's presence in Smallville did lead to the uncovering of the Book of Rao.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by zguida09
              I have always ben a fan of brainiac on the show, even over lex. there is just so much u can do with everyone, yet brainiac, there is always somthing.

This theory is very interesting. as much as i would love to have this as a plot line, i think the writers are going down the path of the red queen having the book as stated by billy k
              Thanks. What doesn't make sense to me is how the red queen would have gotten the Book of Rao. It would make Alia killing Jor-El completely illogical & wouldn't explain Alia's powers under both suns. But it's not the first time the Smallville writers threw out something from left field without any explanations. My guess is that even though my theory makes sense, explains Alia having powers, explains the orb's voice & connects to the events regarding the orb at the end of season 8, and provides the path where General Zod finally returns, the end result won't be anything like it and they will just leave a bunch of loose ends just so they could introduce a new character.
              Last edited by xrayvision; 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

So why does everyone think that the red Queen has the book of rao?
                Anyway, I really hope that Alia is explained but sadly I don't think the writers will even bother.

Comment

Why do people still try to connect the dots when it comes to Smallville?

Everything happens in a random order; there's no continuity. This "Major"(stupid) Zod has nothing to do with Doomsday and has no idea who Brainiac is/was.

Every season, we have a new storyline. In season seven, the Orb was meant to "stop" Clark. In season eight, the Orb was "magically" sending messages to Tess, and during season nine, we find out that Zod said nothing to Tess, but the Orb did free cloned Kandorians, which are mindless of the fact that Kandor was supposed to have been destroyed by an Earthquake, not due to war(as mentioned during season seven..but, then again, like I said, new seasons means for new retcons).

Theories are nice, but, SV just makes up new crap. That's all it is.

Comment

This theory hurt my head

Comment

It is quite a comprehensive theory. I have to admit, some of it is confusing. I think part of that is the fact that they retconned things as you note so many times, and they often don't even think ahead when they do things on this show, that nothing logical comes out of it.

I think it would be interesting if Brainiac is the one who killed Jor-El and was responsible for the orb releasing the Kandorians, and that he was potentially the voice in the orb. However, there was a male and a female voice that came from the orb that was never explained. Personally, I think the writers had not thought that far ahead, and still don't know who was the voice of the orb.

I won't get into spoilers but the writers have answered things that have happened the show that have no direct relation to this theory on Twitter, and at the time, they sounded like they were just making it up as they went along, that the writers never actually thought through those old plot points.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
                        It is quite a comprehensive theory. I have to admit, some of it is confusing. I think part of that is the fact that they retconned things as you note so many times, and they often don't even think ahead when they do things on this show, that nothing logical comes out of it.

I think it would be interesting if Brainiac is the one who killed Jor-El and was responsible for the orb releasing the Kandorians, and that he was potentially the voice in the orb. However, there was a male and a female voice that came from the orb that was never explained. Personally, I think the writers had not thought that far ahead, and still don't know who was the voice of the orb.

I won't get into spoilers but the writers have answered things that have happened the show that have no direct relation to this theory on Twitter, and at the time, they sounded like they were just making it up as they went along, that the writers never actually thought through those old plot points.
                        Brainiac could make his voice sound whichever way he wants, like he did when he shapeshifted as Lionel, Jonathan, Kara, and any other form he took. He could easily do multiple voices.

But knowing all too well from past experience, I bet the writers will never answer the plothole of Alia's powers, the orb's voice(s), or General Zod's phantom's existence.

I think the most confusing part of my theory is due to the fact that there was time travel and how a timeline we never fully saw except in Pandora affected the main timeline of the season. My theory pretty much says that the Brainiac in the original doomed timeline took the time to recreate his own body & went back to the day Savior took place after shapeshifting to look like Alia, so that there are 2 Brainiacs. The other Brainiac (2009 Brainiac) never had to recreate his own body since there was already a fully reconstructed Brainiac & ended up sacrificing himself in Persuasion after the reconstructed Brainiac from the Pandora timeline took the Book of Rao from Jor-El. I'm pretty sure that's the main part that was confusing. The part involving the black crystal is what I think happened because I don't think it was a coincidence that the orb started talking right after Clark plugged the crystal in the Fortress, nor did I think it was a coincidence that the orb specifically pointed out the black crystal as an item for Tess to recieve.

But these are likely to be forgotten by the writers in favor of introducing new characters like this mundane (to me anyway) red queen plot.

Comment

Fabulous theory, xray. I will be gobsmacked if the writers have actually thought the whole thing through that thoroughly though.

Comment

Just a thought

Hmm now didn't Brainiac travel back into Krypton's past with Kara and seemed to try to kill infant Kal-El only for Clark to intervene?

Kara killed Brainiac only to be revealed as a double of Brainiac but it was around this time Davis's own existance came into being.

Now Brainiac could have easily faked his "death" so once the Kara double and Kal-El left for present earth he took steps to set up the current situation.

Remember Kara had heard about Kandor surviving and so far we've been led to believe this is about the Orb however what if a version of Kandor did survive and the orb was switched from depower Kal-el to transport a band of cloned Kryptonian soldiers led by Zod foir the eventual purpose of restoring Zod?

In the comics I believe Kandor was shrunk and taken by Brainiac until Superman retrieved it which in recent months I believe they said it was restored only for them to be exiled from Earth.

This would explain all that rubbish about destroying that crystal and preventing Doomsday being sent to the PZ which would make sense if Kandor was hidden somewhere in its interior and they did that because Doomsday would eventually find and wipe them out.

Brainiac probably did send a double through and if he's his usual machiavellian (don't know if thats spelt right!) self then we need to ask ourselves why did Alia believe Clark was going to destroy their world?

Her reaction when dying suggests she realised she had been lied to which is why she apologised, if anyone had access to the Book of Rao wouldn't have that been Brainiac's creator Dax-Ur?

This would mean Brainiac made sure to secure the book and this would lead me to ask how did they know creating the solar towers to turn yellow solar radiation to red would give them powers?

That would have made more sense if they were storing the energy for some kryptonian device that restored their powers with Alia having been the guinea pig explaining why she has powers under yellow and red suns, since they gained powers as a result of the sun's colour change she would have been the only one subjected to that test.

I suspect Brainiac is still out there, the real question is if I'm right then Zod's group is just the recon unit ahead of a full scale invasion something Major Zod doesn't know about since we don't know exactly what changes took place on Krypton when Brainiac went back in time.

Not what i initially was thinking about but still worth addressing since if Alia was Brainiac then there would be TWO Brainiac's wandering around since neither would be dead...

Comment

Great theory!!! I've always believed the voice from the orb to be some version of Brainiac. The voice also was curently aware of the "Beast" and the existence of Brainiac's crystal to open the PZ porthole.
                              When Brainiac went back into the past on Krypton, he could have left a drop or two of his ooze in the orb for his own preservation. When speaking to Tess, is was fully capable of male, female, or even multiple voices at the same time.
                              While Brainiac did hide himself in Alia, the was atleast one time he used Zod's body. After Alia killed Jor-El, Brainiac used Zod's body to silently superspeed to the the Kent farm and over hear Clark talking to his fathers grave..............then superspeeded away by the time Clark looked up. It was strange to see the grin on Zod's face as he listened.........but could easily picture Brainiac standing there with a grin on his face!!!! Zod would not be happy about Jor-El's death unless he ordered it, and we know the Alia did it on her own. Only Brainiac would a kick out of Jor-El's death and the pain Clark felt.
                              The day that Clark defeated Brainiac in "Legion" was a different timeline. Superman will battle Brainiac his entire life.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎