Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we incapable of having a villain who is just EVIL?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWangSDC
    The missing understanding is that there is no excuse for anyone's actions. There is always a reason people do good and bad things, always. And we should empathize with everyone's pain, but everyone has to be responsible for their actions. Smallville is a drama so they draw out the moral gray area, but even in real life no one is bad and those terrible people have some excuse in their deranged head for why they did the things they did. That's what a sociopath is, by modern standards it is believed that psychopaths and sociopaths are beyond rehabilitation, but it seems the deeper psychology gets, the more they realize that no one is irredeemable. (Of course it takes massive resources to help these people). That's what the sopranos is about, that's what Dexter is about, thats even what Memento and Unbreakable are partially about.

Off Smallville a bit but, Any reasons someone acts bad is no excuse you do something bad you did it and that's that blame your childhood, your life God but you lose all understanding and the people hurt are still hurt.

No one is pure good or pure evil, even Darkseid has his good qualities. If you read Kingdom Come they show that Orion, who hated his father, had to act almost identically when put in the same position and in Super TAS, we see how his people view him. It's not some gimmick that's been done before, it's simply the truth of the matter. Mainstream television is now starting to incorporate it because it's at a place where the common level of enlightenment of the audience should be receptive (they hope) to this type of deeper understanding of psychology. But the greatest works posed this level of understanding a long time ago, like Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. Another great two movies in recent years are No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.

I think Darkseid's true colors are his hatred for everyone he seeks something called "The Anti-Life Equation" and the amount of evil he had in Final Crisis is the best example of what he is, and old evil God not a man. Even psycho is based on Ed Gein and all his tragic background means nothing to the amount of evil he did to me these comic villains are exaggerations of the real world evil and there are plenty terrible in the real world.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

There is a difference between not writing someone complex, and writing a simple villain who everyone can feel justified in persecuting. The reality is, no one should be persecuted but everyone should be held resposible for their actions. Villains are just derranged and disturbed individuals who's cry for help is viewed as a deliberate offense by the ignorant. These cries for help get worse and worse until they think it's ok to kill people.

As I said Mark Waid's Empire and a Alan Moore Clayface story are some of the best examples that the villain is complex but it does not treat them as anything more than a burden they do terrible things without regard and in the comics world the threat is usually more than the real world.

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

I want to clarify that I'm not backing Smallville's writing though. I enjoy the show a lot, but it is not a quality piece. It is designed to be an emotionally manipulative drama along the lines of Twilight and Gossip Girl. I love that stuff and eat it up and that's why I watch the show.

They are trying to bring this more complex idea to that lower level of show. Shows like The Shield, The Wire, and The Sopranos incorporate this idea without it feeling forced, but that's impossible when you dumb your show down to be a teenage angsty drama.

So I agree it's annoying the way they do it, but I feel its neccessary to point out that it is just ignorant when they don't. That is, it is very obvious they are ommitting certain characters motivations and characterization, to have someone who is "just EVIL" means to just have a plot device that the good guys team up against.
    [COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]My problem mostly comes from the writers of Smallville ignoring carefully placed comics mythology allot of people think that Smallville should go it's own way and sometimes ignore the comics but when SV does you get the SV Lana (unattainable love, marrying Lex, supersuit) two Jimmy's and Davis as Doomsday.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by AlexfromLubbock; 04-17-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexfromLubbock
      [COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]My problem mostly comes from the writers of Smallville ignoring carefully placed comics mythology allot of people think that Smallville should go it's own way and sometimes ignore the comics but when SV does you get the SV Lana (unattainable love, marrying Lex, supersuit) two Jimmy's and Davis as Doomsday.[/COLOR]
      I hear that, but it's its own universe. Like they have the ultimate universe in Marvel etc. Plus if you want to think continuity wise, there is a multiverse in DC again so this is just another universe. In some universe's Superman is black and the president of the united states, so anything goes for sure.

Comment

I hear that, but it's its own universe. Like they have the ultimate universe in Marvel etc. Plus if you want to think continuity wise, there is a multiverse in DC again so this is just another universe. In some universe's Superman is black and the president of the united states, so anything goes for sure.
        Really it's the potential of the show that upsets me also because every once in a while they show some amazing promise and I do believe one day the show will blow audiences away but certain things like changing characters like Metallo actually harm the show I think more people pay attention to the wrong things when they do this and the context is thrown off. Like Clark knows Zod has powers and they put more focus on Lois and Metallo.

Comment

Really it's the potential of the show that upsets me also because every once in a while they show some amazing promise and I do believe one day the show will blow audiences away but certain things like changing characters like Metallo actually harm the show I think more people pay attention to the wrong things when they do this and the context is thrown off. Like Clark knows Zod has powers and they put more focus on Lois and Metallo.
          Yea, it's really not the greatest show. I think the show gets by because we all love the Superman mythos and everyone who loves it all loves teenage angst type drama. If these characters had any other name, it probably would have been cancelled already. Of course, with respect to the writers, they are also handicapped by the mythos making it harder to write. I agree with all your complaints, but after season 2 I stopped feeling like Smallville was a quality show so I stopped complaining about that stuff.

Comment

Yea, it's really not the greatest show. I think the show gets by because we all love the Superman mythos and everyone who loves it all loves teenage angst type drama. If these characters had any other name, it probably would have been cancelled already. Of course, with respect to the writers, they are also handicapped by the mythos making it harder to write. I agree with all your complaints, but after season 2 I stopped feeling like Smallville was a quality show so I stopped complaining about that stuff.
            Maybe that's the smarter thing to do maybe it's out of habit I watch maybe maybe it's optimism it will get better maybe I am just bidding time till Nolans and Goyer's Superman movie.

Comment

Corben was always kinda sad... I mean really he was an experiment gone wrong whose head just kept getting pumped full of adrenaline... of course he was going to be insane with that going on... Nice to see without that going on he was the guy he was before it started.

After Turbulence I no longer bought the "good side of Doomsday" bit last year anyway... creep...

But yes Superman stories should have some grey villains that get a second chance... or else Superman's no kill stance isn't a sensical one. Plus... no one is a villain in their own eyes, everyone feels they are victims of their circumstances and that what they are doing is okay because _________. That's the nature of humanity if you have it at all...

Comment

Maybe that's the smarter thing to do maybe it's out of habit I watch maybe maybe it's optimism it will get better maybe I am just bidding time till Nolans and Goyer's Superman movie.
                Sorry if I got caught up in the technical aspects of the show. I actually totally agree with how you feel. Also I've really enjoyed season 10 to the point where I have some optimism for the show. There've been some cool moments and Lois is just smoking hot.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                  And that would be my problem with an Evil Villain. The more chlichéd an enemy is, the more stereotyped you draw him, the easier is it for the good guys to defeat him and maybe even kill him.

If you have an evil Evil then nobody aks if he really deserved what came to him, it is simply accepted. The good guys don't have to second-guess himself, they just did the only thing possible.

That is so '80s - and so boring.

I like it when the characters and the viewers second-guess their actions, aks themselves if they could have done things differently and I like it when users like on this board argue with one another if action A by person B was really justified.

For example: While I liked Superman Returns in general I though that Lex was way too unrealistic with his "I'll kill billions and I don't care approach.". Why? Because, ultimately it makes no sense. Even if he had killed Supi, a trained SEAL squad could have easily landed on the island and taken him out. Who should have protected him? Dr. Kutner? If you want to takeover the world, you have to do it with subtlety and with style and not like a bad caricature from a '60s Bond movie.

I always thought that Michael Rosenbaum was better than Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey. But the reason for that was mainly because he wasn't an evil Evil Villain.
                  Yeah Lex Luthor reminded me too much of Bloefied from the 60s Bond flicks. His plan would of never worked for many reasons, U.S. would of helped the citizens of Metropolis out, they would of moved somewere esle, military soilders would of taken out Luthor.

Now I want a evil villian, but one who cleverally thinks stuffout and not make up a ****** plan that has no means of working even if he prevails. But I like the anti heroes stuff too.

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

The missing understanding is that there is no excuse for anyone's actions. There is always a reason people do good and bad things, always. And we should empathize with everyone's pain, but everyone has to be responsible for their actions. Smallville is a drama so they draw out the moral gray area, but even in real life no one is bad and those terrible people have some excuse in their deranged head for why they did the things they did. That's what a sociopath is, by modern standards it is believed that psychopaths and sociopaths are beyond rehabilitation, but it seems the deeper psychology gets, the more they realize that no one is irredeemable. (Of course it takes massive resources to help these people). That's what the sopranos is about, that's what Dexter is about, thats even what Memento and Unbreakable are partially about.

No one is pure good or pure evil, even Darkseid has his good qualities. If you read Kingdom Come they show that Orion, who hated his father, had to act almost identically when put in the same position and in Super TAS, we see how his people view him. It's not some gimmick that's been done before, it's simply the truth of the matter. Mainstream television is now starting to incorporate it because it's at a place where the common level of enlightenment of the audience should be receptive (they hope) to this type of deeper understanding of psychology. But the greatest works posed this level of understanding a long time ago, like Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. Another great two movies in recent years are No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

There is a difference between not writing someone complex, and writing a simple villain who everyone can feel justified in persecuting. The reality is, no one should be persecuted but everyone should be held resposible for their actions. Villains are just derranged and disturbed individuals who's cry for help is viewed as a deliberate offense by the ignorant. These cries for help get worse and worse until they think it's ok to kill people.

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

I want to clarify that I'm not backing Smallville's writing though. I enjoy the show a lot, but it is not a quality piece. It is designed to be an emotionally manipulative drama along the lines of Twilight and Gossip Girl. I love that stuff and eat it up and that's why I watch the show.

They are trying to bring this more complex idea to that lower level of show. Shows like The Shield, The Wire, and The Sopranos incorporate this idea without it feeling forced, but that's impossible when you dumb your show down to be a teenage angsty drama.

So I agree it's annoying the way they do it, but I feel its neccessary to point out that it is just ignorant when they don't. That is, it is very obvious they are ommitting certain characters motivations and characterization, to have someone who is "just EVIL" means to just have a plot device that the good guys team up against.
                  I never understood No Country For Old Men.
                  Last edited by The Caped Crusader; 04-17-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by The Caped Crusader
                    ...His plan would of never worked... U.S. would of helped... they would of moved... military soilders would of taken...
                    I'm not a grammar nazi or anything, but this particular error does irk the living **** out of me.
                    It's "Would HAVE".
                    It's "Could HAVE"

...or...

"would've/ could've, etc..."

That concludes this on grammar and composition lesson.

Okay in Smallville Metallo is not a villain. Corbin is just a victim. A super-powered victim, but a victim nonetheless. A viewer can somewhat empathize with him because he's not in control of his life anymore through no fault of his own.

But that's only so-so writing because the very nature of his being makes him a direct threat to our hero. Under other circumstances he'd just be an average guy trying to earn a 9 to 5 who just happens to be deadly to Superman. It's just a stupid re-working of a potentially good character. Any conflict between him and Clark will surely be the result of someone plugging into him and it will end- predictably- either by someone knocking out the control device/ programming or, if the writers feel like trying to squeeze some tears out of us, through a demonstration of morality-driven, repentant will. All very boring pedestrian bullsh.

If you ever saw the Superman TAS episode "The Way of All Flesh", here you'll see a really well-written villain. Corbin starts off as a criminal (yes, some people are just plain selfish and greedy) who gets manipulated into paying a terrible price for his life choices, and yet we can still sympathize with how he must feel (or for what he lost, as the case may be).

I'm going to have to agree with Crusader on this one. There is such a thing as moral ambiguity, but if you're going to take that route as a writer then at least do a damned decent job with it. How many more accidental or unsuspecting villains can you make?

Look, I don't watch Smallville for its in-depth exploration of the human condition. I watch the show for laser eyes. I watch the show for megaton-powered slugfests. I watch the show a little bit to see some character development (hah! whatta laff!). And, yes, I even watch the show for the pretty girls (just a little embarrassed that this is a the bottom of the list). If you want to make the show more intellectually or philosophically challenging, then by all means please do. But don't just have some random joe-blow off the street get hit by a space rock and turn into a poor, misunderstood monster.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman of Krypton
                      This season there is no villain. Just gray-area anti-heroes:

- Oliver (who killed Lex)

- Chloe (who's done 100x morally questionable things)

- Zod (whos killed but in the name of saving his people)

- Tess (who's supposedly trying to save humanity through shady means)

- Waller (who's trying to defend the planet from alien, but killing people in the process)

Maxwell Lord is bound to be the same way too. No villains this year, just a lot of gray.

All these characters have good intentions but are going about achieving their goals by shady means.

I don't mind it, but it's getting old, especially after Davis Bloomesday last year.

you forgot Metallo

Comment

Clark should have been on the list imo.Clark (destroys some towers, violent against women, lo-jacks his gf)...
                        Of course he should have! Thanks to his action this year, he is by no means perfect! That moral compas his is as gray as they come, verging on black as the coat he wears!

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                          Is anyone else getting tired of all the villains being 'morally grey' areas?

It just seems like the writers have latched onto this idea that villains are only interesting if they have sympathy from the audience... which is just not true! I seriously miss villains that I love to hate, like Lionel was in early seasons. The one's that give you a chill down your spine when they smile.

They started with Lex going from good to badish, then Lionel going from bad to goodish, then Tess and her good/bad back and forth, and Doomsday's part humanitarian paramedic. Now we have a Zod who is questionable, a Metallo who is now going to try and live an honest life, and a Chloe who appears to be slipping to morally dubious.

What the hell is wrong with having characters be consistent in their moral compass? And what is wrong with a villain not having a good streak?
                          I totally agree with you

Comment

All I have to say is Clark deserves a "worthy" villain in the mold of morally slippery Lionel in his earlier incarnations and Lex in the later stages of evilness. Now all we get are these caricatural anti-heroes who aren't really worth the page they're being written on.

Comment

Originally posted by Aficionado
                              All I have to say is Clark deserves a "worthy" villain in the mold of morally slippery Lionel in his earlier incarnations and Lex in the later stages of evilness. Now all we get are these caricatural anti-heroes who aren't really worth the page they're being written on.
                              That's the real tragedy here Metallo is a great Superman villain and in Smallville the writers didn't use that to his advantage in the original story:

John Corben was originally a journalist (and secretly a thief and murderer) who had just committed what he thought was the perfect murder. While fleeing from the scene of the crime, Corben suffered a near-fatal accident that mangled his body beyond repair. An elderly scientist Professor Vale happened to come upon Corben, and used his scientific skill to transfer Corben's brain into a robotic body covered by a fleshlike artificial skin. Corben discovered that his power source, a capsule of uranium, would only last a day, but was told by Vale that kryptonite would provide him an indefinite power supply.
                              After obtaining a job with the Daily Planet, Corben briefly tried to romance Lois Lane, while deciding that he'd use his powers to eliminate Superman, the one person who might expose his criminal deeds. After setting a kryptonite death-trap for Superman, Corben stole what he thought was another sample of kryptonite from a museum as a new power supply, not knowing it was in reality a fake prop; this mistake caused him to die. Superman eventually escaped from the kryptonite trap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallo

Just tweak that a bit and you could have had a season long villain that could be a challenge and his comics looks are great.

The largest comic database online, Comic Vine features Comic Reviews, News, Videos, and Forums for the latest in and more!

The largest comic database online, Comic Vine features Comic Reviews, News, Videos, and Forums for the latest in and more!

They just wasted a great opportunity.

Comment

a list of all good-bad villians on the show (w/ more than 1 episode) :

Lionel
                                Lex
                                Tess
                                Zod
                                Metallo
                                Doomsday
                                Bizaro
                                Plastic
                                Faora
                                Helen (Lex's wife)
                                (I feel like I'm forgetin someone..)

Some will even consider some of those characters as being a part of the grey area:
                                Lana
                                Chloe
                                Oliver
                                Kara
                                Jor-El
                                and even:
                                Clark

The exceptins - villians who were just evil:
                                Toyman (but they made him also crazy, so..)
                                Brainiac (which I remember started as Dr. Fine and I realy thought he was a good guy - didn't read spoilers then )
                                Last edited by msabagada; 04-17-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎