No announcement yet.

Seasons 8 & 9 figures, as of "Checkmate"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellokitty
    The Clark apology scene, even taking into account the bigger picture, was this year's Power/Requiem for me. I loathed that scene and it nearly pulled the episode into the "1 out of 10" category for me. I don't enjoy Chloe and Oliver at the moment, and I am sickened by their romance, so for me, even though it doesn't necessarily equate to a good or bad episode, it's highlight and it's distastefullness, IMO, knocked the episode's enjoyment factor down for me, which factors into my own rating.
    Sometimes just one thing (that really bothers a viewer) is all it takes to turn an otherwise O.K. episode into a '1' in that viewer's mind. Then again, sometimes one thing that a viewer really likes can turn an otherwise mediocre episode into a '10'. I know it can work that way for me.

Updated figures for "Checkmate" posted.

Comment

Figures for Season 9, Episode 17 ("Checkmate") have been updated.

Last edited by cma_454; 04-13-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cma_454
        Figures for Season 9, Episode 17 ("Checkmate") have been updated to reflect the voting as of 9:15 PM (Eastern time) 4/12/2010.
        Thanks for keeping up with the averages on all the epps and the comparison of season 8 vs season 9.

I have to ask this one................Do the averages for an epp seem to go a little up, or a little down, 3 or 4 days after an epp has aired?

I know several people have mentioned that some epps grow on them after they rewatch them a few times. I usually vote right after an epp airs, while others wait to rewatch an epp before voting.

Comment

Originally posted by jpfort1957
          Thanks for keeping up with the averages on all the epps and the comparison of season 8 vs season 9.

I have to ask this one................Do the averages for an epp seem to go a little up, or a little down, 3 or 4 days after an epp has aired?

I know several people have mentioned that some epps grow on them after they rewatch them a few times. I usually vote right after an epp airs, while others wait to rewatch an epp before voting.
          Some do go up and some go down, as the days go by. Plus, the votes can continue to come in (and change the average score) for a long time after the episode airs.

I just updated all of season 9 the other day because the earlier episodes got more votes and the averages for some changed. I'm also going to have to update the season 8 figures soon, because people are still voting on those episodes.

Last edited by cma_454; 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

New updates posted for "Checkmate"
            Last edited by cma_454; 04-15-2010, 05:50 AM.

Comment

IMHO, since these votes are strictly personal opinion, they pretty much all reflect some kind of bias.

As to the number of one votes "Checkmate" (or any other episode, for that matter) receives, I think it's more than just a bit rude (if not downright arrogant) to describe any fan's personal opinion as, "ridiculous." The poll is, after all, "Loved It? Hated It?," not "Give Your Unbiased Opinion."

I don't consider anyone's reason for 'hating' any episode, "ridiculous," any more than I'd consider anyone's reason for 'loving' any episode, "ridiculous."
              In all honesty they should just turn the poll into a thumbs up/down/middle, because most the time it seems the votes go that way. I personally just find the amount of people voting 10s and 1s to be a little unrealistic compared to people giving legitimate marks.

Originally posted by Iconic Couples Fan
              I will tell you I voted 1. Why? Because the only things I liked about the episode were MM, CF's screentime and acting, and the visuals. Balanced against the things I didn't like, which were many, it settles at a "not worth my time watching." So Checkmate totally equalled a wasted hour I'll never get back. That made it a 1 in my book. I've only given 3 episodes a one, in my opinion, in the whole series. Clark was boring, and I can stare at TW for an hour with no dialog(not forever but I could). I really did not like Chloe, Ollie, or Chlollie. It would take too long to explain HOW much it all made want to scream. At this point I want the JL to move to Star City and do their thing, so Clark can work on his own. Then maybe I'll see some progression. That would get a 10 rating. I haven't voted any episode of Season 9 as a 10 since Pandora. The rest have been decent with serious problems. And IMO episodes with Lois tend to be much more entertaining.
              In a series that has given us episodes such as Power and Ageless, I think it's a disservice to how bad those episodes are to rate anything at the same level as them. I can understand hating Checkmate but why not a 2 or a 3 maybe? I hated Requiem for instance but even I gave that 2
              Last edited by Supsfan; 04-14-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

IMHO, since these votes are strictly personal opinion, they pretty much all reflect some kind of bias.

As to the number of one votes "Checkmate" (or any other episode, for that matter) receives, I think it's more than just a bit rude (if not downright arrogant) to describe any fan's personal opinion as, "ridiculous." The poll is, after all, "Loved It? Hated It?," not "Give Your Unbiased Opinion."

I don't consider anyone's reason for 'hating' any episode, "ridiculous," any more than I'd consider anyone's reason for 'loving' any episode, "ridiculous."

Personally, I consider "Power" to be the worst episode of Smallville ever made (I know opinions differ, but "Power" nearly caused me to stop watching Smallville, and the memory of it still negatively effects my opinion of the show to some degree). Still, I'd never label the opinions of the 96 people who gave "Power" a 10 as anything close to being, ""ridiculous." I fully accept that their reasons for 'loving' it are every bit as valid as my reasons for 'hating' it.

YMMV, but I'd hope we could all learn to at least respect each other's feelings, even if our own are very different.
                Thank you. Wonderfully put. This is an opinion based poll so there's no right or wrong here, just differences of opinion. What I use to judge an episode is not the same as what you may use or the next guy/gal may use. But I'm not going to slam other's opinions just because I don't agree with them. Supsfan said they liked Warrior, which I loathed. That's not going to keep me up at night. Am I glad it's currently ranked that low? Yes, but if it was higher I could deal.
                Last edited by utguardian; 04-14-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by utguardian
                  But I'm not going to slam other's opinions just because I don't agree with them. Supsfan said they liked Warrior, which I loathed. That's not going to keep me up at night. Am I glad it's currently ranked that low? Yes, but if it was higher I could deal.
                  I am not slamming people opinions what they like and don't like, I am slamming the ridiculous amount of votes that fall into the 10 and 1 column every week. 10 to me means one of the best episodes ever and 1 means one of the worst ever. Most episode fall somewhere between that(even if it's a 2 or 3)

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                    In all honesty they should just turn the poll into a thumbs up/down/middle, because most the time it seems the votes go that way. I personally just find the amount of people voting 10s and 1s to be a little unrealistic compared to people giving legitimate marks.
                    Agreed.

Comment

I am not slamming people opinions what they like and don't like, I am slamming the ridiculous amount of votes that fall into the 10 and 1 column every week. 10 to me means one of the best episodes ever and 1 means one of the worst ever. Most episode fall somewhere between that(even if it's a 2 or 3)
                      Exactly. For me an episode has to be either the absolute best of the best of the entire series to get a 10, or it has to be the absolute worst of the worst of the series to get a 1. That's not saying a 10 episode has no flaws, or a 1 episode as no good points, but it's a question of "Are those flaws/good points enough to give/take away any points?". I can probably count the number of 10 episodes on one hand, same with the 1 episodes.

Comment

Again, it's titled "Loved it? Hated it?..." not 'Is this a good or bad episode?"

IMHO, that means it's supposed to be a rating on how you felt about the episode, not whether you thought it was well made, or whether it's the 'best' or 'worst' episode.

Some people can hate an episode (that they might otherwise like) because of one scene. The reverse is also true (one scene can really make someone love an episode they'd otherwise feel was mediocre). The presence or absence of a certain character (and/or how they are presented in the episode) can also provoke a strong reaction from certain fans.

To me, a high number of 1's and/or 10's indicates only that some people had strong reactions to episode (for whatever reason). I don't consider those 1 or 10 votes in any way, 'ridiculous,' and believe they are (in a poll titled "Loved it? Hated it?...") just as 'legitimate' as any other vote.

Obviously, YMMV.
                        Last edited by cma_454; 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Others may not use the same criteria you use. Who are you to say what's legitimate and what isn't?

Comment

Crossfire and Idol were both rated better than Absolute Justice...I guess that proves the power of a steamy Clois kiss :]

Comment

Originally posted by KalEltheBoyscout
                              Crossfire and Idol were both rated better than Absolute Justice...I guess that proves the power of a steamy Clois kiss :]
                              Crossfire has got to be because of the Kiss (but it was also a pretty good episode, so that helps too). Idol was my favorite episode of the season. I just really love it.

I get that Checkmate wasn't the best episode of the season, but I have a hard time saying that it was worse than Escape. That was such a shipper episode and while I enjoy some good shipper moments, the plot was too awful for me to really like that episode. This episode wasn't perfect, but I thought the plot was better than escape. I liked Checkmate and the fact that it ranks over 7 has to mean that most people liked it well enough as well even if some people hated it enough to give it a one.

Thanks for doing this - I love the opportunity to be a stats nerd by reading these. It's really interesting to see how the episodes rank over all.

Comment

Originally posted by A Flawed Fashion
                                Thanks for doing this - I love the opportunity to be a stats nerd by reading these. It's really interesting to see how the episodes rank over all.
                                Thanks.

Figures for Season 9, Episodes 1 through 17 have been updated to reflect the voting as of 2:50 PM (Eastern time) 4/16/2010.

This will be the final update for this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎