No announcement yet.

Seasons 8 & 9 figures, as of "Checkmate"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasons 8 & 9 figures, as of "Checkmate"

Below are the average 'Loved it / Hated it?" scores for the episodes of seasons 8 & 9, as well as season averages to this point (as well as for all of season 8). Total votes cast is also listed:

8-1 Odyssey = 8.21 (total number of votes = 473)
    8-2 Plastique = 7.68 (total number of votes = 353)
    8-3 Toxic = 7.10 (total number of votes = 284)
    8-4 Instinct = 7.31 (total number of votes = 391)
    8-5 Committed = 8.20 (total number of votes = 548)
    8-6 Prey = 8.27 (total number of votes = 335)
    8-7 Identity = 9.03 (total number of votes = 401)
    8-8 Bloodline = 8.84 (total number of votes = 378)
    8-9 Abyss = 7.79 (total number of votes = 384)
    8-10 Bride = 8.75 (total number of votes = 589)
    8-11 Legion = 8.49 (total number of votes = 479)
    8-12 Bulletproof = 6.35 (total number of votes = 398)
    8-13 Power = 4.33 (total number of votes = 681)
    8-14 Requiem = 5.04 (total number of votes = 788)
    8-15 Infamous = 8.32 (total number of votes = 531)
    8-16 Turbulence = 7.36 (total number of votes = 417)
    8-17 Hex = 8.86 (total number of votes = 563)
    Season Eight (average for first 17 episodes) = 7.64
    8-18 Eternal = 7.11 (total number of votes = 452)
    8-19 Stiletto = 7.90 (total number of votes = 465)
    8-20 Beast = 7.37 (total number of votes = 473)
    8-21 Injustice = 7.40 (total number of votes = 359)
    8-22 Doomsday = 5.14 (total number of votes = 1031)
    Season Eight (average all 22 episodes) = 7.49

9-1 Savior = 8.67 (total number of votes = 718)
    9-2 Metallo = 9.00 (total number of votes = 508)
    9-3 Rabid = 8.64 (total number of votes = 607)
    9-4 Echo = 8.06 (total number of votes = 495)
    9-5 Roulette = 7.27 (total number of votes = 504)
    9-6 Crossfire = 9.19 (total number of votes = 622)
    9-7 Kandor = 8.46 (total number of votes = 4695)
    9-8 Idol = 9.17 (total number of votes = 612)
    9-9 Pandora = 8.99 (total number of votes = 574)
    9-10 Disciple = 7.74 (total number of votes = 431)
    9-11&12 Absolute Justice* = 9.02 (total number of votes = 656)
    9-13 Warrior = 7.11 (total number of votes = 478)
    9-14 Persuasion = 8.45 (total number of votes = 477)
    9-15 Conspiracy= 8.07 (total number of votes = 422)
    9-16 Escape= 7.63 (total number of votes = 460)
    9-17 Checkmate= 7.53 (total number of votes = 458)
    Season Nine (average for first 17 episodes) = 8.35

Figures for Season 8 are as of 02:20 PM (Eastern time) 02/08/2010.

Figures for Season 9, Episodes 1 through 17 are as of 2:50 PM (Eastern time) 4/16/2010.

This will be the final update for this thread.

* - "Absolute Justice" listed and averaged as two episodes (11 & 12).

Last edited by cma_454; 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM. Reason: Updated figures for Season 9

Here are the average scores sorted high to low.

Season Eight:

#1 - Identity (9.03)
    #2 - Hex (8.86)
    #3 - Bloodline (8.84)
    #4 - Bride (8.75)
    #5 - Legion (8.49)
    #6 - Infamous (8.32)
    #7 - Prey (8.27)
    #8 - Odyssey (8.21)
    #9 - Committed (8.20)
    #10 - Stiletto (7.90)
    #11 - Abyss (7.79)
    #12 - Plastique (7.68)
    #13 - Injustice (7.40)
    #14 - Beast (7.37)
    #15 - Turbulence (7.36)
    #16 - Instinct (7.31)
    #17 - Eternal (7.11)
    #18 - Toxic (7.10)
    #19 - Bulletproof (6.35)
    #20 - Doomsday (5.14)
    #21 - Requiem (5.04)
    #22 - Power (4.33)

Season 9:

#1 - Crossfire (9.19)
    #2 - Idol (9.17)
    #3 & #4 - Absolute Justice (9.02)
    #5 - Metallo (9.00)
    #6 - Pandora (8.99)
    #7 - Savior (8.67)
    #8 - Rabid (8.64)
    #9 - Kandor (8.46)
    #10 - Persuasion (8.45)
    #11 - Conspiracy (8.07)
    #12 - Echo (8.06)
    #13 - Disciple (7.74)
    #14 - Escape (7.63)
    #15 - Checkmate (7.53)
    #16 - Roulette (7.27)
    #17 - Warrior (7.11)

Figures for Season 8 are as of 02:20 PM (Eastern time) 02/08/2010.

Figures for Season 9, Episodes 1 through 17 are as of 2:50 PM (Eastern time) 4/16/2010.

This will be the final update for this thread.

Last edited by cma_454; 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM. Reason: Updated figures for Season 9

Comment

Updated figures for "Checkmate"
      Last edited by cma_454; 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Updated figures for all of Season 9
        Last edited by cma_454; 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks for doing this.

Comment

Thanks. The bottom three for S9 is definitely how I see it so it's nice to see I'm not alone.
            Last edited by utguardian; 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by utguardian
              Thanks. The bottom three for S9 is definitely how I see it so it's nice to see I'm not alone.
              I actually liked Warrior myself. Roulette definantly deserves to be there and Disciple which is another bottom 3 in my book very low as well. You can definantly see a Lois bias in the results. Not that I thought Checkmate was great, but the amount of #1 votes was a little ridiculous(I believe there should only be a handful of episodes that deserve 1 during the run of the series and Checkmate far from that no matter what issues you have).

Comment

Yeah, about right by my opinion. Top seems right and the lows are right by my book for both seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                  Great stuff. Thanks for doing this.
                  Originally posted by utguardian
                  Thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by Supsfan
                  I actually liked Warrior myself. Roulette definantly deserves to be there and Disciple which is another bottom 3 in my book very low as well. You can definantly see a Lois bias in the results. Not that I thought Checkmate was great, but the amount of #1 votes was a little ridiculous(I believe there should only be a handful of episodes that deserve 1 during the run of the series and Checkmate far from that no matter what issues you have).
                  IMHO, since these votes are strictly personal opinion, they pretty much all reflect some kind of bias.

As to the number of one votes "Checkmate" (or any other episode, for that matter) receives, I think it's more than just a bit rude (if not downright arrogant) to describe any fan's personal opinion as, "ridiculous." The poll is, after all, "Loved It? Hated It?," not "Give Your Unbiased Opinion."

I don't consider anyone's reason for 'hating' any episode, "ridiculous," any more than I'd consider anyone's reason for 'loving' any episode, "ridiculous."

Personally, I consider "Power" to be the worst episode of Smallville ever made (I know opinions differ, but "Power" nearly caused me to stop watching Smallville, and the memory of it still negatively effects my opinion of the show to some degree). Still, I'd never label the opinions of the 96 people who gave "Power" a 10 as anything close to being, ""ridiculous." I fully accept that their reasons for 'loving' it are every bit as valid as my reasons for 'hating' it.

YMMV, but I'd hope we could all learn to at least respect each other's feelings, even if our own are very different.

Also, I've gone ahead and updated all of the season 9 figures (people are still casting votes on earlier episodes).

Comment

I agree, although I put Power/Requiem together as giving me the same feeling you described for Power alone.

Thank you for taking the time in compiling this list. Even with the bottom three from this year, they are still a far cry better, IMO, than most of the episodes from last year.

Comment

Thanks again for all your efforts. Those are definitely my bottom three for Season 9 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wellinglover66
                        Thanks again for all your efforts. Those are definitely my bottom three for Season 9 as well.
                        Thanks again for the kind words.

Originally posted by hellokitty
                        I agree, although I put Power/Requiem together as giving me the same feeling you described for Power alone.

Thank you for taking the time in compiling this list. Even with the bottom three from this year, they are still a far cry better, IMO, than most of the episodes from last year.
                        Actually, I agree with you (and I usually refer to "Power" and "Requiem" together). I give the nod to "Power' as being the worst, probably because it was first. "Requiem' didn't cause my negative feelings, it just reinforced them. Honestly, they were a one-two punch, and the combination did more damage to my opinion of this show than either episode alone would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                          I will tell you I voted 1. Why? Because the only things I liked about the episode were MM, CF's screentime and acting, and the visuals. Balanced against the things I didn't like, which were many, it settles at a "not worth my time watching." So Checkmate totally equalled a wasted hour I'll never get back. That made it a 1 in my book. I've only given 3 episodes a one, in my opinion, in the whole series. Clark was boring, and I can stare at TW for an hour with no dialog(not forever but I could). I really did not like Chloe, Ollie, or Chlollie. It would take too long to explain HOW much it all made want to scream. At this point I want the JL to move to Star City and do their thing, so Clark can work on his own. Then maybe I'll see some progression. That would get a 10 rating. I haven't voted any episode of Season 9 as a 10 since Pandora. The rest have been decent with serious problems. And IMO episodes with Lois tend to be much more entertaining.

Comment

Thank you for doing this. Personally I don't see how this episode ranked below episodes like Disciple. I guess I'm in the more half full persuasion and think about all the things I liked(Tess scenes, MM, the fight scenes especially Clark's, AW scenes) and what I didn't like(final Chlollie scene, Tess final scene, the beat up Tess scene, and the Chlark apology scene).

Comment

The Clark apology scene, even taking into account the bigger picture, was this year's Power/Requiem for me. I loathed that scene and it nearly pulled the episode into the "1 out of 10" category for me. I don't enjoy Chloe and Oliver at the moment, and I am sickened by their romance, so for me, even though it doesn't necessarily equate to a good or bad episode, it's highlight and it's distastefullness, IMO, knocked the episode's enjoyment factor down for me, which factors into my own rating.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎