Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Checkmate?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADICAL! and sOOOOOOO many editing possiblity its a dream to edit to epic music!

OT:i like your avatar justme_007 i agree chloe should stay!!!
    Last edited by monstermight; 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Great insight, newbaggy.

I didn't love it...didn't hate it...kept thinking this episode would fit better if SV was really the telling of the pre-justice league as opposed to a pre-supes story...

Comment

• Originally posted by SnowBird
        The fact is, Chloe might be important in connecting the JLA, but Clark doesn't need Chloe to make him the Blur or Super.
        This is exactly how I feel Bev. Chloe has always investigated the paranormal, and Clark being her friend was always there to save the day. Chloe helped without even knowing it, and now her role as Watchtower has landed her in a powerful position because of her knowledge and friendship with Clark, not the other way around. Clark would still be the hero he is without ever knowing Chloe because it is who he is. There were many saves before Watchtower and there will be many more after Watchtower.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckyLois
          her role as Watchtower has landed her in a powerful position because of her knowledge and friendship with Clark, not the other way around. Clark would still be the hero he is without ever knowing Chloe because it is who he is. There were many saves before Watchtower and there will be many more after Watchtower.
          Based on this shows established past, your statement is only partially correct. As a person, I believe Clark would have ended up the Hero he is supposed to be....although not as quickly, nor as wise. We all learn from those around us, and if you remove anyone from that equation, a big chunk of wisdom is lost. Their accomplishments, advice, wins, failures....etc...etc...etc......all indirectly enrich those around them. Also, and again based on this show, without Chloe/Watchtower, Clark's journey to being Superman would have ended several times over.

Glorifying ones heroes is understandable. We all do it (in my case, Batman & Nightwing ) And in Clarks case, it's very much earned. What I hate is when fans ignore what has happened, and glorify someone by making other characters less than what they are....or what they've accomplished.....in the story....as it has been told here. For example, I hate when they make Chloe (even though I love her character) look smarter by making Clark look dumber. If the writters did their jobs properly, they wouldn't have to do this. Just as we shouldn't ignore what has actually happened. Without Smallville Chloe, there would be no future Smallville/Metropolis Superman......we fans would all be living in Zodville by now.

As always...JMHO.

----- Added 26 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SnowBird
          Clark doesn't need Chloe to make him the Blur or Super.
          As mentioned above, Clark may not have needed Chloe to make him the Man or the Myth as a person. But in being able to complete the jorurney (in this version of the story), Clark would never have had the opportunity to become the Blur.....let alone Superman....without her. Clark would have been six feet under by now. And Chloe definitely helps to make him an even better person than he already would have been. So logically.....and based on this show's established past, your statement above, can not be considered as correct unless you are reffering strictly to Clark's personality traits. With or without Chloe, he could have become the Man/Hero (as a person) that his parents would have wanted him to be........the problem is that he never would have made it to that part of this Smallville/Metropolis story.

----- Added 42 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by justme_007
          Have i said that? But yes Chloe is awesome and i am so glad that the show recognizes that in the episode
          I never get tired of saying she's awesome. She's the Superman Mythos' answer to both Robin, and Oracle of the Batman Mythos. I just think that sometimes the fans don't realize what a character like Chloe Sullivan brings and adds to the Superman Mythos. And make no mistake, she doesn't have to be in the comics to be part of the mythos now. NINE SEASONS on a classic Superman show has settled that. Let's hope for TEN!

All that I ask for is that they continue to make her Awesome.....just not at the expense of Clark. So here's hoping that they write BOTH OF THEM like the DYNAMIC DUO that they are.

And justme_007..... did I mention that I LOVE YOUR AVATAR of Chloe with the Milk Shake! God I hope she really is staying.
          Last edited by CK&CK; 04-16-2010, 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• I give it a 1. I'd go lower if I could. I finally realized that the only reason that i watch the show anymore is to get to the end after all of these years. Not because it is the best show on tv like it used to be. What is with Chloe? I can't stand her character anymore. What is she doing revealing Clark's secrets to Tess. She is supposed to be smart but apparently has no common sense.

Comment

• 6/10 i got kinda bored half way through

Comment

• It was pretty good. The whole Checkmate thing entertaining and I love to see MM use his powers. I give it a 7.5, but since that's not the option I find it closer to 7.

Comment

• I have this episode behind the 2 Absolute Justice episodes. This is what this series should do. Focus on the superheroes and their powers instead of all the stupid cat fights. Your a superhero series. Accept it.

Comment

• More Clark please!

Comment

• Even with the little over the top teaser and the flame prison that came from the floor (just where Martian Manhunter was :/), this was a 10 episode.

It just concentrated on the plot and no relationships. Loved how Oliver escaped Checkmate (really that stunt with riding the door on asphalt was amazing).

And the end sequence with Clark while he was at the castle. Loved how Pam Grier played Amanda Waller in that scene. Loved how MM escaped and destroyed Clarks blood sample and eventually got Waller to forget what she saw. "Well aren't you nice to look at." - Waller when seeing Clark's face.

Meanwhile Clark did the rescue which was so cool stop motion scene with him stopping the bullet just in the nick of time. I loved how logical the scene was. They knew how to contain the Blur. When Oliver with the help of Tess got the security go a-wall Clark could immediately act. I'd love to see this kind of stuff more.

Comment

• I had mixed feelings about this episode. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was sort of 'Blah' to me. I wasn't bored, but there was something I distinctly disliked about some of the characters and the plot; the action sequences were mostly awful, very disappointing. Particularly the abysmal slow motion, that was so mediocre, IMO. Some Chlark redemption, but nowhere near to what I was wanting for them. It's upsetting that it takes strange Amanda Waller to make Clark realize that he had abandoned Chloe when she needed him the most and that he needs to apologize to her, which he did, but it's frustrating that it took him that long to say it. And then Chloe was just as bad, sweeping the apology under the rug and saying that he didn't abandon her but that he just pushed her away.

Loved seeing MM back, and it was cool to see him using his powers more. Hated Clark being once again, aggressive towards her to get her to tell him things he needs to know. I know she has being playing games a lot and stuff.....

And I already worked out that Martha is the Red Queen and MM is working for her. Who else could it be? She's returning in 'Hostage' in a couple of episodes time, and she is the Senator of the US after all. Plus, I knew she would have being keeping a close-distant eye on Clark and protecting him somehow. I like this plot, very exciting, I can't wait for Martha to return.

I don't think I'd watch this episode again in a hurry, so I give it a 7.

Comment

• Tess was awesome in this episode! So much non-stop action and really cool slow-motion scenes, especially when Clark saves Chloe, that was a really well done scene.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎