2 5.13%

1 2.56%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Yuck

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I voted for "Rose", because it was the reinvention of the show as something that anyone and everyone could watch on a Saturday night. Also because I loved Christopher Eccleston. There was such a long gap between the show being cancelled in 1989 and it being brought back that I think most people assumed it wasn't coming back, and that anyone who watched it was a socially awkward geek of major proportions. What RTD did was make it fun and interesting and family-friendly with a bit of risque humour thrown in.

I've seen a few people complaining in different reviews of the show that the music was too over-the-top and annoying.. are there specific instances where this is particularly obvious? I only ask because I've watched the episode four times now and I can't say that the music bothered me that much.

Short trailer for next week's episode!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpw7L...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by jobookjunkie View Post
    I've seen a few people complaining in different reviews of the show that the music was too over-the-top and annoying.. are there specific instances where this is particularly obvious? I only ask because I've watched the episode four times now and I can't say that the music bothered me that much.
    For me it was during the climactic scene on the rooftop when the Doctor confronts the Atraxi. And it wasn't that I found the music annoying, I love Murray Gold's music. But it just reminded me too much of the 10th Doctor era, something I not sure they wanted me to be remembering during such an important moment for the 11th.

Voted for Spearhead from Space. Not only was Pertwee brilliant, it had to reinvent the show in a much bigger way than just having a new Doctor, in fact it was almost as big a reinvention as Rose: the show had moved from black and white to colour, resulting in a ton of stylistic and storytelling changes that the production team had to go through. As it stands, SfS is a brilliant reintroduction to the Doctor, and it was a fantastic story to boot. And it introduced the Autons, which was brill!

Would've voted for An Unearthly Child if it was just the 1st episode, though. Seriously, that had to be one of the greatest "first episodes" ever. And I mean ever. Because that had the task of introducing all this iconic stuff - the Doctor, the TARDIS, the strangeness of it all - to a public which knew nothing about it. It also had the unenviable task of making an impact the day after JFK was shot. So yeah, a big fan of the first ever ep, just a shame the 3 eps that followed with the cavemen weren't so good.

I voted for castrovalva, but I don't think it's a fair vote in my case, as it meant I had to choose. As for the theme music, I'm not the only one who didn't like it - there's criticism beng levelled at that area by a few people...It just doesn't fit. Especially the title sequence - I keep wondering what the hell murray was smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by quinny06 View Post
    Short trailer for next week's episode!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpw7L...layer_embedded

For me it was during the climactic scene on the rooftop when the Doctor confronts the Atraxi. And it wasn't that I found the music annoying, I love Murray Gold's music. But it just reminded me too much of the 10th Doctor era, something I not sure they wanted me to be remembering during such an important moment for the 11th.
    Other thing I should've mentioned about Moffatt's influence on the show... everything's so damned creepy, with a side order of spookiness. Which I love That trailer looks excellent!

I didn't mean you specifically, so my apologies if you thought I did. I just meant a lot of reviews in general mentioned the music. I'll rewatch that bit

Maybe i'm the only one but I loved Murray's music in the episode, but I'm not sure what to think of the title sequence and its music just yet...

Society of Super Mods STFanatic's Avatar
    Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor and who (no pun intended) got the wife & I hooked, David Tennant was great as well, and I too was reluctant to accept a new Doctor.

It took a few scenes to get used to Matt Smith as he didn't look the part very well but I think he did an outstanding job.
    I did like Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, she reminds me of someone I can't quite place right now
    The young Amy reminded me a lot of Scarlett Pomers when she was on Star Trek Voyager as the character Naomi Wildman.

Overall great episode, once I get used to the new Doctors face I will for sure enjoy the series as much as the previous incarnations.

PZ admiring the BAMF that is Oliver Queen
    Well what I suspected would happen has happened lol although I had my reservations about Matt, I thought he did a great job and Steven Moffat (love him) hit it out the park.

I gotta admit I was gutted when David announced he wouldn't be back for another series, I loved ten and I really, really wanted to see what Steven Moffat did with him for a full series.

That said I loved nine and it was more I wanted to see more of nine before I got ten lol

I was unsure how I'd take to Matt Smith as eleven, I'd seen him in the Ruby and the Smoke with Billie Piper and he was ok but didn't rock my world so his first ep was going to be interesting but as I say I thought he was great.

Good chemistry with Karen which is essential! and being a scot myself (lol and Steven's wife is Scottish) I loved the 'the only scot in the english village lol could so relate to that lol

Overall, great introduction, fantastic snappy dialogue, Steven really writes the Doctor so well and judging from the trailer we're in for a good run!

Settling In
    I really enjoyed this episode. I loved how they jumped right into it and didn't have the same let down of the only episode of David Tennat's Doctor that failed had; the Doctor being there but practically dead the whole episode. I really liked Amy, better than some of the comanions we've had so far already (namely Martha, despise her, she kept trying to be the big person in control all the time, it's just not done that way, the Doctor and his companion are like Batman and Robin; the Doctor is ALWAYS in charge!!!)

I thought Matt Smith was really good and did well establishing himself as the new Doctor, though his habit of at times practically trying to be David Tennant was annoying. That said, so long as he gets over that fast, there'll be no complaints from me. I did love some of his lines, especially "I'm the Doctor. And basically... run", sheer epicness.

The new TARDIS interior was great and the music was good. My only real gripe is the new opening title sequence; it looks like the TARDIS is going to get wrecked; hopefully that starting animation is only to go with the first episode where it is nearly destroyed anyway.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    I really loved this episode, and thought it was a wonderful itroduction to the new Doctor. I guess I didn't have the problem a lot of people did, with being apprehensive that this wasn't dave tennant. I've never imagined a person playing the doctor for too long. The Doctor, to me, is all about change, and it's inevitability.

I love the new TARDIS, and as a previous poster pointed out, the Doctor's relationship with it. I totally caught the moment where the TARDIS was acting like a nervous girl before her first big date, refusing to be seen by her man, before being totally ready. I thought it was brilliant.

I'm not sure how I feel about Amy Pond, but that's only because i need to see where her character goes beyond the first episode. Is it going to be another case of girl leaves her boyfriend/fiancee because she falls in love with the Doctor, only to be let down in the end, or will this go some other way?

All in all, I gave this at least a 9 out of 10.

I've seen it several times now, and I ADORE the absolutely bonkers Doctor that Matt Smith portrays. He's already assured me that he was perfect for this role and it's only going to get better from here on out (WEEPING ANGELS!)

I had a bit of a problem with the new title music, since it doesn't quite sound as incredible as the Series 1-4 titles. The original theme was perfect. It was Indiana Jones with a dash of Sci-Fi mixed in, but the new theme doesn't bring home how absolutely insane the Doctor really is. Also, the food scene was a little trying in length to be honest. Though, it was good bonding between the Doctor and Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by STFanatic View Post
    I did like Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, she reminds me of someone I can't quite place right now
    Tori Amos?

- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by quinny06 View Post
    Yeah I have to admit I agree. A couple times I wished they were a bit lighter on the music. But that scene on the roof did remind me of the bad-ass parts of the 10th Doctor's era. It was the music that did it for me because it pointedly tried to support that this scene is bad-ass.

I don't mind the 11th Doctor being that way. Isn't that the point? Same man, brand new everything. 10 influenced 11. 10 was a bit of a bad-ass at times, and 11 seems like he is too. It may be for the cool factor, but I choose to believe it's actually who the Doctor is now. Matt may act like a jovial kid, but there is a dark and icy edge that comes into his voice when he's being awesome, like in that scene with the Atraxi. In fact, after everything we went through with 10, I'm a bit happy they kept the Doctor's dark nature with him, it would suck if he just was happy go lucky.

I will admit the music needs to be more subtle though, sometimes it gets so loud I can't make out what the actors say and it really takes away from the scene.

Final and official viewing figures for this episode: 10.08 million viewers, two million more than initially thought! Holy crap, that's a hell of a debut for Mr Smith.

It'll be interesting to see what the final figures for The Beast Below are.

Just watched "Eleventh Hour." It was so good. I was apprehensive just because I really love the show and it's a new guy. I was apprehensive between 9 and 10 too so... But this was a wonderful episode. I got tears in my eyes several times just because I don't know... I'm a sap. I even liked the over the top mysterious music. I think seeing the Doctor through the eyes of a little girl was just so much fun. There was something so NOT HUMAN about the food craving sequence. I loved it. The new guy did a great job not really fitting his new body. I think that helped me to transition better because I could almost see MY doctor under that new skin. LOL!

I think I liked the little girl Amy Pond better than the adult Amy Pond, but by the end I liked the adult version more. I think she's why I would give the episode a 9. I need to get to know her a bit better. That thing with all the teeth was so creepy! I love the way Amy forced all her local friends to play Doctor with her (sounds funny) as she grew up. I really liked the moment of confrontation on the roof between the Doctor and huge giant eye thing. All the faces of all the other doctors and he marches through and... "Run." LOL! It was cheesy but oh so BAMF at the same time. It's so strange but Doctor 11 seems older than Doctor 10. Not physically but... yeah.

The teaser for the rest of the series was WONDERFUL. I'm very excited about this season. This episode was such an adventure and as someone else said, it didn't seem like an hour at all.

In the shot of all Amy's Doctor drawings and stuff, was it just me or did I see a Donna doll? And how weird that she's about to be a bride. I'm also curious about the foreshadowing about the silence... ???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast