2 5.13%

1 2.56%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Yuck

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think its clear from other posts that our feelings on the RTD era and Tennant's Doctor are completely different, cousteau. But I will agree with you about Murray Gold's music in this episode. Again, as I've said in other posts, I loved Murray's work on seasons 1-4/specials. But the music in this episode just didn't seem to fit. Maybe his sound is just too associated with the 9th/10th Doctors for me, I don't know.

However, I do love the new theme tune. Miles better then the previous one.

Right now I'm giving it a 5. Why? It could be I'm biased because I LOVE RTD, and what he brought to the table with series 1-4, and I really cannot stand Moffat, but I thought I'd give it a try because I like giving things a chance.

First off, I really do not like the new title sequence. The "new" theme song isn't the problem, it's the way they made the titles. It's as if the music doesn't belong and seems kind of rushed imo.

The story was a bit weak. But I blame it on myself for having such high hopes and having them dashed right before my eyes. Don't get me wrong, Smith ha sthe potential to be an AMAZING Doctor, but sadly the writing wasn't up to par with he incredible acting chops.

Not a huge fan of Amy. I can't say I hate her, but the whole time all I could think of was "Could she have more then one facial expression please?". I also think the reason I don't really care for her is that from the interviews i've seen of Karen Gillian, she comes off with the "I don't really care" attitude. Not to mention the "I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'll just say random stuff and hope Doctor Who fans agree" thing going on with her. Granted, she might take some getting used to, as I didn't like Martha at all in the third series until her stint on Torchwood, as I think Freema did much better in a more adult show then on a family show.

This isn't me saying that I won't ever watch it again. I'll always watch Doctor Who, even when it's bad. But I think Moffat blew things way out of proportion with how "THIS WILL BE THE BEST DOCTOR WHO EVA!". I just feel Moffat is trying to outbeat RTD's four series run within one series, and it's going to ruin it.

But please keep in mind that this is my opinion.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    I do think the Confidential especially was a bit heavy-handed at pushing Matt Smith on us, when the performance itself should speak for it. But I felt the same thing during RTD's era and all of his proclamations of it being the best show ever, etc. etc. I guess it comes with the territory. At least they like their jobs

To be honest, I didn't see/notice many Karen Gillan interviews yet. I liked Amy a lot though. As for Matt Smith - I was just all around really surprised. They could have had a disaster on their hands, but they didn't. At all. He actually seems very traditionally Doctor-like... that, and I just read an article in Doctor Who Magazine about him geeking out over "Tomb of the Cybermen," and I think that's cool.

I think the other thing I like so far is in the modern era - each of the three new Doctors has had something about them to make them shine. Eccleston was the first "new" Doctor, and he was lonely building a new world for himself with Rose in it. Tennant was getting settled, putting the demons behind and moving on. And now there's Matt Smith who is just as lonely perhaps, and just as curious, but still the man he was for the past ten incarnations. It'll be fun.

I thought it was great. I haven't been a huge fan of the first few seasons so I was very glad to see a fresh start and, thus far, I'm really enjoying it. The new doctor and companion are great.

First of all, badwolf, I appreciate your opinion, and your guts to actually say you're not a fan of Moffat. Sometimes Who fans do seem to think he's the second coming. But, I have disagree with you. As a writer myself, sometimes I just sit in awe of Moffat's episodes and think "I wish I could write like that."

Agree about the title sequence. I'm not sure what they were going for, it doesn't look like a time vortex (not that I've ever seen one, mind), more like the inside of tornado.

And about Karen in interviews: you know they've done hundreds in the run up to last night right? And they were asked the exact same questions in all of them, and therefore had to give the same answers. Trust me, I've seen just about all of them. Maybe Karen was just bored by the 256th time she was asked about the audition process. Give Karen some time, she seems like a nice girl. Ridiculously pretty. Have I mentioned that?

Confidential was a bit boring this week. Who is that new narrator and can we get rid of him please? Truth be told, I missed RTD on the show. On every Confidential he was just so enthusiastic that he nearly convinced you that that week's episode really was the best ever, even if it really wasn't.

----- Added 14 Minutes later -----

Unofficial overnight viewing figures from gallifreynewsbase: 8 million viewers.

Hmm. Just about as much as Tennant's last series premiere got, and by far the most watched show on Saturday night. But I wonder, with it being a new Doc, were they expecting a bit more than that?
    Last edited by quinny06; 04-04-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by KryptonSite View Post
    I was hoping Murray Gold's overpowering music was on the way out too, though I don't mind the new theme tune.

As for the casting - now my only issue is how aggressively they're trying to hard-sell it, on Confidential and such.

I don't think the Smallville comparisons are necessarily fair because I know a whole lot of people who with you, who were more into the show's earlier seasons. It really is dependent on taste, I guess. It's also not fair to make because it's not so much of a "start-from-scratch" reboot as Moffat has been given... whereas the current Smallville will always have the ghosts of Lex, Lana, the parents and others from the show's past. Here, I don't feel like "oh wow we need Donna back"... or anything like that... yet. Whereas a week doesn't go by where I think of how I miss Lex, or think about how much cooler an episode would be with Lex involved. (Lex and Tess teaming up would be awesome. Zod? Still, yawn.)

Though I will agree Moffat is 100x better than what we've had in recent years, at least thus far.
    My comparison was meant to point out the difference, not the overall production value, which I actually agree with you on some points. I winced when they killed off rosenbaum, and thought 'well that was a dumb move' - but still, I stand by my statement. There seems to be more impetus to understand the source material, and if they have to throw the romance in there to catch two demographs, then I'm all for it - the only relationship I actually care about, is that of Lois and Clark.

As for Murray Gold, my point is this - The BBC has at its disposal, the phone numbers of some of the most influential people in music, who are infinitely more talented, and would jump at the chance to do something with doctor who, and yet they've stuck with murray gold - He tends to make his tracks far too loud and boisterous, which was fine for the RTD era who, but seems more out of place here. Given that in mind, why not call someone like dave stewart, or orbital, or hell...even the pet shop boys to do something?

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Quote Originally Posted by quinny06 View Post

Unofficial overnight viewing figures from gallifreynewsbase: 8 million viewers.

Hmm. Just about as much as Tennant's last series premiere got, and by far the most watched show on Saturday night. But I wonder, with it being a new Doc, were they expecting a bit more than that?
    8 million viewers in 22 million homes isn'ta bad net of fish, quinny. It'l be more interesting to see the Domestic US and Canada viewing figures on the 17th.
    Last edited by cousteau; 04-04-2010 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Settling In
    Wow, just wow...
    Definitely one of the best Episodes IŽve seen this far.
    I loved it from the first second up until the last.
    Well, as some argue about the title sequence with the "new" time vortex doesnŽt look like one, the lightnings made it look to me like it was destabilizing midflight due to the TARDIS enginefailure, so maybe (hopefully) weŽll get e propper one next week.

I voted a 9. Now, the only reason I didn't vote higher was because it's only the opening episode. I'm saving my tens for later!

Loved it from start to finish. Saw it in this London pub last night on this huge screen with hundreds of people (no joke), and oh my gosh, the reaction! You should've heard them after that montage when Matt Smith said, "Hello. I'm the Doctor." Seriously, I think all of us could've been heard streets away! Perfect direction as well, thought Matt Smith was absolutely bonkers in the role of the new Doctor (in other words, brilliant) and tbh, I actually quite like the new theme. Like most things in the show, it's kinda new but kinda retro at the same time.

I think it's fair to say this is the best opening episode of the new series so far, right? Compared to Rose, New Earth, Smith & Jones, and Partners in Crime...yep, definitely the best opening episode!

And you know what the best thing is?

It's only going to get better!

God that was the best thing I've seen all year. And the wait is finally over. Matt Smith is just so brilliant, hell he is THE Doctor and he had me from the get go. Amy is wonderful and her backstory captivating and the fact that she waited 14 years really makes it even more compelling. I cannot wait for more.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    I'm curious... which "first story of a new Doctor" is everyone's favorite?

Watched in 3 times now. LOL!

I have to admit I like Matt as 11. David playing 10 will always be my Doctor as he was the one that truly hooked me into the series. But based on this one episode alone, I think Matt is more than a worthy successor. He is quite brilliant and I do like 11.

The true testament for me was I wasn't sitting there mourning losing 10 as I was immediately caught up in 11's story and rejoicing in his regeneration. I immediately lost myself in the story feeling whole-heartedly that he was the Doctor.

Karen was great in "Fires of Pompeii" and I love her as Amelia Pond. The story, her 14 year wait to be a companion, was wonderful. I love the way Steven Moffat writes. Amy seems more than a match for 11 and will make a great companion. Plus I love that she's Scottish and she's quite lovely.

The new T.A.R.D.I.S is cool! It's so weird and different from all the past ones, but it's a very cool design and I love the changes. It feels so much bigger. And I really hope they show the pool/library one day! LOL!

Very good show, immensely clever, 11 stars from me.
    Last edited by MrZeppo; 04-04-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Ok I watched the episode (in a shameful way as I was too excited to wait for the 17th!) and I loved every bit of it! 11 is going to be fantastic! Although 10 is my favorite and he will be hard to top he might end surpassing my second favorite, which is the 9th Doctor. 11 seems to be a mix of 9 and 10, but crazier!

Quote Originally Posted by KryptonSite View Post
    I'm curious... which "first story of a new Doctor" is everyone's favorite?
    I voted Rose, love that episode. If you view that, which for alot people it was, as a Pilot episode, I think its probably one the best ever. All the core elements of the series are there, plus a good plot and some funny moments. Okay, so the wheelie bin thing was a bit crap, but other than that. Plus, we has Series 1 Rose, who was great. Pity she became unbearably annoying in Series 2.

As for the classic episodes, the only ones I've seen so far are An Unearthly Child (you can't call yourself a Doctor Who fan till you've seen that!) Castrovalva and the TV Movie. Out of those, I'd say Castrovalva. Because you can't beat a bit of Peter Davison.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZeppo View Post
    The true testament for me was I wasn't sitting there mourning losing 10 as I was immediately caught up in 11's story and rejoicing in his regeneration. I immediately lost myself in the story feeling whole-heartedly that he was the Doctor.
    That's what impressed me most about Matt. As excited as I was to see a new Doctor, I expected to be constantly comparing him to David. How would David have done that scene, how would David have delivered that line. But from "Can I have an apple?" onwards, I was focused solely on Matt. He's was wearing Tennant's suit, for God's sake, and still managed to keep my attention on him with ease! Great actor.
    Last edited by quinny06; 04-09-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Settling In
    I wasnŽt comparing Matt with David either, but what realy surprised me was that half of the time, I was seeing Amy as some kind of a second Donna.
    Startet right at her yelling an Oy at the Doctor and from there on, all her angry speaches and gestures I found where so "Donna-like". Might just be my imagination, but what do you think about that?

Apart from the red hair, they're not really that similar. I don't think Amy's anger towards the Doctor is going to be a constant thing, not like the way Donna never missed a chance to have a go at him. The anger was mostly because he kept disappearing for years at a time. I'm hoping she'll be much more friendly towards him next episode.

In saying that, Karen keeps saying in interviews that Amy doesn't take his word as "Gospel", which is something Donna was known for. So I don't know. Its hard to tell from one episode, we'll see how the character develops over the next 13 weeks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast