0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Yuck

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Doctor Who #5.1 "The Eleventh Hour"

You lucky folks in the United Kingdom get new Doctor Who tomorrow. So count down to the episode airing, discuss it live while it airs, and all that, and then talk about the show once it's been on!

A whole lotta extras are posted on KSiteTV at http://tinyurl.com/ksitedw

Enjoy! I think this one's going to be great...

Can't wait! The BBC are doing a fantastic job of promoting the show again. Has anyone heard the Doctor interrupting radio broadcasts all over the country? Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV0r7LmQEY4

How cool is that?

Henry! You show Tom i_need_a_new_username's Avatar
    I'm upset, I'm not as excited for this episode as I was for The End of Time.

Would that be because of a bit of Tenth Doctor Devotion? Its only natural to be a bit nervous about the new bloke. But from everything we've seen, he'll deliver.

By the way, Craig, I noticed you've named this thread as "#5.1", and most of the Who stuff on KsiteTV is listed as "Series 5 news", but I think the production team have officially named Matt's first series as "Series 1". We all know that's wrong, but then again so its "Series 5", and even "Series 31" could be debated.

I think I'm still going to stick with Series 5 on this one... for now. To refer to it as the "first season" at least among fans, I think would be confusing. Although really "Rose" should have been #27.1 and then we wouldn't have this mess. (But then where would the McGann movie be? )

15 minutes left for you lucky British folks... hopefully through the use of wibbly wobbly timey wimey I can get to April 17 somehow to see it myself soon

Hopefully there will be live discussion here to spoil me

----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

I want the universe to sing me to my regeneration...

----- Added 12 Minutes later -----

Geronimo!

----- Added 22 Minutes later -----

Where is everyone?

----- Added 23 Minutes later -----

Bad, bad beans!

----- Added 27 Minutes later -----

Prisoner Zero has escaped

----- Added 29 Minutes later -----

"It's not a box... it's a time machine!"
    Last edited by KSiteTV; 04-03-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"I am definitely a mad man with a box!"

----- Added 4 Minutes later -----

No one came into the Live thread (boo!) but if you saw it, talk about it and rate it!
    Last edited by KSiteTV; 04-03-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Not really a Dr Who fan but caught the opening ep tonight on the bbc and enjoyed it, the new guy playing Dr Who did a good job and it made me want to tune in next week.

Live thread?! I didn't dare blink in case I missed a moment of awesome-ness, never mind pausing to type!

Fantastic first episode. Matt absolutely nailed it from the first minute he was on screen. Loved all the food jokes ("AND STAY OUT!") and the TARDIS and it's missing swimming pool. Was that really 65 minutes? It flew by!

I'm liking Amy at the minute (Look at her! What's not to like?). Her anger towards the Doctor was starting to get slightly old by the end of the episode, but you can't say its not justified. A genius twist to have her running away on the night before her wedding, can't wait to see where that leads.

Love how spooky the new theme music is, but not too thrilled about the title sequence. I'll give it a few weeks, see if it grows on me.

I loved David Tennant, he was my Doctor. But Matt proved in this episode that not only can he follow Tennant, but he has all the potential to be even better. Yes, I said it!

Quote Originally Posted by Murzo View Post
    Not really a Dr Who fan but caught the opening ep tonight on the bbc and enjoyed it, the new guy playing Dr Who did a good job and it made me want to tune in next week.
    It's already a success then!
    Last edited by quinny06; 04-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Banned
    when david told us he was leaving i was shocked and i thought that no one could replace david. i was also sad when russell said he was stepping down, after torchwood: the children of earth and the fact that he just offended the whole glbt community and ianto fans, i was glad he was leaving. i have always said that i’ll give matt a try and i did. when it first came on i was saying, okay, this is going to suck bad, nothing will beat david. i was pleasantly surprised. i love it. it felt like a new show. it was funny, smart and no so far out their like previous episodes. it was better than all those awful mini episodes last year that just plainly sucked. i think that this season and the new doctor is be getter that david. the writing is just so much better and the acting was superb though i was kind of annoyed with karen at the beginning but she got better and i’m now glad that we have a strong scottish character to look up to. i’m really looking forward to next week. i give the episode 4.5. i would give it 5 but the twist in the middle about amt being amelia was so easy to guess. i’m really happy with that and i loved the little nod to everything with the hugh eye ball. dr who in hd is finally here!

EDIT: i was rating it out of 5. So 9 would be mine in the poll
    Last edited by LexGossip; 04-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.

I'm thankfully very pleased that Doctor Who's return with Matt Smith's 11th Doctor is not as i feared it woud be, an inferior follow up to a actor that made me fall in ove again with the series. I shall be glued to the telly for the following twelve episodes as this is a very good re-invention that seems to hold the prospect of many more adventures aboard the T.A.R.D.I.S. and i love Prisoner Zero's parting line - "Silence Doctor! Silence shall fall. . ."

Henry! You show Tom i_need_a_new_username's Avatar
    Loved it! That is literally the only thing I can say other than...

"'Course not.
    Box falls out the sky,
    Man falls out the Box,
    Man eats Fish Custard!"

Well.

I'll be the first to admit that, although Matt won me over with his "Legs! I've got legs!", I was worried he wouldn't live up to David's doctor.

And then I watched 'The Eleventh Hour'.

For an hour or so afterwards, even in the middle of watching Dr Who Confidential, all I could think was "wow". Really, just wow. First of all, that was 65 minutes?! It felt like 10, but I suppose that was the intention. Second of all, I loved the idea that five minutes to the doctor was twelve (plus two) years to Amy, because that's how he lives. Refreshingly, there was no angst about it (yes, RTD, I'm looking at you), rather an acceptance of sorts from Amy, and hilarious incredulity from the Doctor. He was so protective of the little girl with the fairy tale name in a way that was very touching.

The dialogue was wonderful. It was so wonderful that I want to copy it all down and draw little hearts round it. No stodgy sentences, no scientific explanations that dislocated the jaw, just snappy sharp dialogue that raced along with the story. The acting of even minor characters was very well done. Jeff, who had maybe twenty words tops?, was my favourite. I giggled at him for most of the episode.

Amy was marvellous. She's officially my favourite companion. The chemistry she has with Matt with serve the series well. Matt himself... well, I loved him. He made me laugh constantly, and I completely howled with laughter when the new TARDIS gives him a new screwdriver and his response is "Thank you dear."

More than anything else, Stephen Moffat has brought the magic back. Amy stepping into the TARDIS was like Lucy stepping into Narnia through the wardrobe. RTD might have been responsible for reviving Dr Who, but in my opinion it was too grounded in reality, in the council estate and the terraced house and the semi-with-the-pensioner. Histrionics was the forte of that era, and it's good to see that it no longer has a place here, at least on the basis of the first episode. Everything is surreal and larger than life and completely, gloriously, British.

As always, the show and the doctor is simultaneously a product of its history and its own creation. Nowhere was this shown better than the scan of doctors and monsters past (thanks to the Atraxi) - the 11th doctor is all of the doctors and none of them, because he is own man. I must confess to having a tear in my eye when I saw the Fifth doctor - Peter Davision is my doctor - and also the Ninth doctor, my two favourites.

I can't wait for the next appointment with the doctor

These are the continuing missions...

Cons: Murray Gold. Totally out of place for the tempo of the new doctor...hate the new theme tune, and I'm confused a little by the idea of the new time vortex. BUT..The thing I hated the most was Murray Gold.

And...That's it.

Pros: You know, the funny thing is, it's the first time in four years I've smiled when I've heard someone utter the words 'I'm the doctor' - You're treated with a doctor this time around that isn't so heavy handed with the emotions, is wildly exciteable and full of wonder, but is in a strange way softer than David - The thing about the previous doctor's work, is that I've always levelled criticism at the writing, and that it underutilised the doctor; the only time you saw something truly wonderful come from 10 was during the episodes that, funnily enough, Moffat wrote; and that helps me draw a conclusion - that while RTD was no doubt a fan of Doctor Who as a child, Moffat was the one who got it, and had his imagination set on fire here. The lighting, the set design, everything is wonderful here - quite simply put, glorious. In every possible way.

And the thing is, you see it in the little touches. the new title graphics fade in and out, and there's a soft usage of lens flares when Amelia uses her torch, and even moments where unfocused lights dance across the screen; When 11 walks into the tardis, you feel the love and wonder for the new look, as he addresses the tardis not like she's a machine, but like she's a woman that refused to let him see her until she was properly dressed and applied with make up for their date. There's love there, there's passion there, and I'm praying that the intimacy you see on screen and in the writing isn't limited to a few episodes, because for the first time since Sylvester McCoy was the Doctor, I laughed, I smiled and I even cried a little when I sat down for an hour and watched the kind of sci fi that the BBC, and British television used to be reknowned for.

To offer the kind of scale of difference that's relatable here, think of how smallville was before gough and millar left - the show was about clark kent, sure, but gough and millar without a doubt never cared for or understood the complexity of the clark/kal el dynamic, and it showed on screen - from as early on as season 8 when the new producers came on board, it was evident that the new producers, and the new writers at least understood and cared for the material more than gough and millar, and it's showing on screen, in areas, for example, like the blossoming romance between lois and clark that probably should have been integrated the minute metropolis turned up on the show. The difference between season 7 and season 8 is night and day.

The difference between 10 and 11 is night and day. The difference between RTD at the helm and Moffat at the helm (thus far) is night and day. There wasn't a single irrelevant scrap to push a gay agenda, but there were plenty of gags about dirty boys and their internet, followed by some advice to delete their history - there were no lazy uses of the words 'I'm sorry, I'm so sorry' when they couldn't think of something for 10 to say, but there were uses of the word 'Geronimo!' as 11 desperately scrabbled between finding out who he was, and trying to save the one constant in his life he'd always truly loved - the tardis. And maybe a couple of comments about a swmming pool now being located in the library, which actually made me laugh out loud.

Night and Day. It really is that different. I never really had a doubt about the choice of casting, except maybe when I was getting a tad fed up of hearing the same dialogue over and over again as the BBC advertised the return at every available opportunity, but Matt and Karen were fantastic to the point that I could empathise and get into the show - it's been...YEARS since I could lose myself in a who episode, and it feels great to be back on board and loving the show. I may find fault and pick stuff out as the episode progresses, but if they have the overall continuing love, wonder and calibre of the first episode, I'll forgive moffat for anything...The best move they've made in years, was to get a completel brand new cast - because it was also a relief to see an episode not directed to Euros Lyn, who, after seeing the way Moffat's dialogue flows anyway, would probably be unsuitable to continue anyway.

Sorry I didn't comment live craig, I'll endeavour to next time. I hope this makes up for it though.

I was hoping Murray Gold's overpowering music was on the way out too, though I don't mind the new theme tune.

As for the casting - now my only issue is how aggressively they're trying to hard-sell it, on Confidential and such.

I don't think the Smallville comparisons are necessarily fair because I know a whole lot of people who with you, who were more into the show's earlier seasons. It really is dependent on taste, I guess. It's also not fair to make because it's not so much of a "start-from-scratch" reboot as Moffat has been given... whereas the current Smallville will always have the ghosts of Lex, Lana, the parents and others from the show's past. Here, I don't feel like "oh wow we need Donna back"... or anything like that... yet. Whereas a week doesn't go by where I think of how I miss Lex, or think about how much cooler an episode would be with Lex involved. (Lex and Tess teaming up would be awesome. Zod? Still, yawn.)

Though I will agree Moffat is 100x better than what we've had in recent years, at least thus far.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast