No announcement yet.

Superman's future romantic life

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
    I have very limited interest in Superman's romantic life.
    ITA.

Comment

Well...

Well I say he will date after Lois death but Lois will always be in his heart. If they ever decide to bring in Chloe Sullivan of Smallville into the comics I can see him dating her. I look at Chloe Sullivan of the show more in the Wonder Woman role of the comics. You never know what will happen and I do believe Lois is his true love in the comics so we will never know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Clois4eva89
        I wouldn't call Superman immortal to say immortal would mean he would never die but his life span is limited.In one Superman comic it stated that Superman lived for 5,000 years before passing on. And going to heaven where he was reunited with Lois so I don't think he'll date anyone else. After Lois has passed on he'll still care and help humanity just not date that my P.O.V.
        My POV is similar to this (although I think it's likely that Superman would live for MUCH longer than 5,000 years as long as a villain doesn't manage to kill him in battle) in that I don't think Clark would date again after Lois.

If I recall correctly, there was even a story where Superman and Wonder Woman spent 1,000 years fighting side-by-side in Valhalla (basically the version of Heaven from Norse mythology for anyone who doesn't know). By this point, Lois had obviously been dead for like 900 years, and Wonder Woman basically offered herself to Clark as a new mate...and he turned her down, saying it would always be Lois for him.

Not to mention, the "DC One Million" story by Grant Morrison ended with Future!Superman discovering a way to resurrect Lois Lane and give her a long lifespan like his.

Comment

I still find it unbelievable that he would never date again even though he knows they will eventually die way before he does.

Comment

I'm all for Superman & Wonder Woman.

Comment

Yes many people do seek new mates after their spouse dies. But just as many do not. I don't see why Clark can't just prefer to not date anyone else.

Now Dc 1 million and co, remember that comics always change. The recent crisis killed Lois mother(before Clark becomes Superman even though she was alive for the wedding) and turned her father into a monster. Who knows what it will be in another decade.

Comment

It's been done in comics several times.

- clones an immortal version of Lois (or similar nonsense in Superman 1.000.000)
                - new alien chick
                - Lana Lang, immortal witch (I am not kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Magic
                  It's been done in comics several times.

- Lana Lang, immortal witch (I am not kidding)
                  I remember that it was done in a elseworld story by John Byrne who's outright stated he would have preferred if Lana was Clark's true love and not Lois and he would have done so in his Man of Steel reboot if DC had allowed him too. Which I don't understand since before that in the comics Lois and Lana were like the except same character so weird that someone would prefer one over the other less one has an affinity for red heads.

Comment

Superman and WW is too predictable and they are too alike.
                    Maxima is dead and Superman couldn't stand her when alive
                    I'm leaning towards celibate Supes,Lois is one of a kind.

Comment

Superman after Lois dies:

Comment

wow. There are some major misconceptions here. Superman is 70 year old mythos.
                        Superman wasn't created in 1986 nor is the Mythos set in stone forever by an editorial decision ten years later to have him marry Lois.

For the most part his relationship with Lois Lane was tragic, I mean that in the sense it was a doomed romance, because they were and - are IMO - logically incompatible, she's human and he's not. I wouldn't go as far as Mark Millar and say Superman and Lois is like Tarzan making Snoo Snoo with the apes, but there are fundamental problems there.

Most of the time the triangle existed where Superman rebuffed Lois affections for noble reasons, and Clark tried to date her. Lois for her part favoured the Alpha male Superman because he was closer to the real character of the man.

By the time of Byrne reboot the comics had Lois and Superman parting and Clark and Lana dating, with Lana genuinely showing affection for Clark Kent.

Go back further still and Superman had a number of serious girlfriends with whom he was prepared to propose. Sally Selwyn, Lori Lemaris and Lyla Lerrol - while at the same time for decades actively not marrying Lois.

In fact taking the Mythos as a whole Superman spends much more time not marrying Lois than being in a relationship with her.

The later retcon creation ie Superman Earth II (1969) did marry Lois, and the current marriage at 15 years on should really be seen in a similar context. In other words a marriage to Lois is a possible outcome of the narrative, but it has not been for most of Mythos the actual outcome.

When looking at how notable writers approach this issue it's interesting, and I've mentioned Mark Millar, but look at the work of Mark Waid In Kingdom Come or Frank Miller in Dark Knight Returns 2 they both kill Lois and pair Superman with Wonder Woman.

Byrne in his Generations story paired Superman with an immortal magically super powered version of Lana, and also killed Lois.

Even the Movie Franchise had moved on from Lois, with Salkind intending to pair Superman off with a unrelated Supergirl in Superman III with Brainiac as the Villain, but WB wanted a comedy...

In the end the only way Alan Moore was able to square the circle of 'Man of Steel and woman of kleenex' in his 'Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow" was to depower Superman and make him human so he was able to marry Lois.

In a similar way Siegel used many devices to make Lois Super Powered I suspect for the same reasons of logical consistency, but unlike the test runs for Supergirl these didn't spawn a Superwoman. eg Action #60

The Superman 2000 proposals by Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Mark Millar, and Tom Peyer would have undone the marriage.

Lastly in regard to Superman's lifespan there were a number of 'imaginary' stories that portrayed an older Superman over the years, but in canon Superman is almost always shown as functionally immortal. This principle was established by his creator Jerry Siegel in IIRC 1943 in the story "There will always be a Superman" Action #62 so it's not a new idea by a long long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokethatkryptonite
                          I remember that it was done in a elseworld story by John Byrne who's outright stated he would have preferred if Lana was Clark's true love and not Lois and he would have done so in his Man of Steel reboot if DC had allowed him too. Which I don't understand since before that in the comics Lois and Lana were like the except same character so weird that someone would prefer one over the other less one has an affinity for red heads.
                          thankfully dc didn't allow that guy to do it. Lois/Superman always.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎