No announcement yet.

What the island is.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the island is.....

so apperently its not "Hell" but its what we would expect from hell. seems like its all basically negative energy stored on the island from perhaps all the people jacob brough to the island who got to make their own choices. seems that without the MIB judging people then the negative enrgy has room to be built up and not channeled in the smoke monster and could destroy the world if its let out.

seems to a point jacob is good when it comes to some stuff and the MIB is a good guy when it comes to judging people for there sins and they both have a point in what they do but also seems like they are both at fualt for what could happen.

It keeps Hell at bay so it can't take over the world.

Comment

I think that was one of the most confusing things about the Island, but I'm glad they revealed that it's not the opposite of Heaven (sorry, not gonna say the word). I guess the Island really is a "cork" keeping the evil of the MIB bottled up. I like the concept of these people who have come to the Island all getting a second chance and a blank slate -- another opportunity to live their life and become better than they were off the Island, which I thought was the main point of the show in the first place from toward the very beginning.

Comment

And here I thought the island was a purgatory.

Comment

how is the island not purgatory now? I thought the writers de-bunked the purgatory theory in season one and here we are 9 episodes away from the finale and its purgatory on earth.....a little disappointing.

Comment

I really don't like the idea that the Island is purgatory, in fact I disagree with it. It implies a negative attribute to the Island when I feel none exists. I think Jacob pretty much stated that the Island is what you make of it. If you have negative goals and seek to do harm, the Island can be a place of great pain. If you are looking for peace, the Island can be that as well. He didn't want to tell people how to live, what is right, he wanted them to come to that determination themselves. That implies a desire for us to use our free will.

Look at Rose and Bernard. The Island healed Rose and allowed them more time together in relative peace. They prove you can find peace on the Island.

I like to look at the Island like it's Eden. It's a place of great wonder and beauty and also a place of great temptation and malice. Your own choices, your free will, determines what the Island does to you. How you're judged.

Comment

Wow, that's really deep, Jai. That's kind of how I took it as well. I think that, in a way, the Island forces you to confront your inner demons, but not to torture you -- it's meant to make you realize who you really are and make a choice as to whether or not you let the mistakes and habits of your past destroy you or become a stronger, more determined person for it.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBuck
                how is the island not purgatory now? I thought the writers de-bunked the purgatory theory in season one and here we are 9 episodes away from the finale and its purgatory on earth.....a little disappointing.
                i dont think it is. its just the best way to explain the island. dont think they want us to take it literlay.

Comment

Jai, I agree with you 100%. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZeppo
                    I really don't like the idea that the Island is purgatory, in fact I disagree with it. It implies a negative attribute to the Island when I feel none exists. I think Jacob pretty much stated that the Island is what you make of it. If you have negative goals and seek to do harm, the Island can be a place of great pain. If you are looking for peace, the Island can be that as well. He didn't want to tell people how to live, what is right, he wanted them to come to that determination themselves. That implies a desire for us to use our free will.

Look at Rose and Bernard. The Island healed Rose and allowed them more time together in relative peace. They prove you can find peace on the Island.

I like to look at the Island like it's Eden. It's a place of great wonder and beauty and also a place of great temptation and malice. Your own choices, your free will, determines what the Island does to you. How you're judged.
                    ya i agree with that. the island feeds off your energy and and since the world has so much bad energy having the island explode would mean all that goes over the world and causes the world to turn evil and kill itself. if it was filled with good energy then the island might not do anything.

Comment

I wonder if we will ever get a definitive answer that is satisfying? I suspect we will reach the show finale and still be wondering what the heck the show was about.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎