No announcement yet.

The Chuck/Casey Parallel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chuck/Casey Parallel

Did it seem to you like the writers were trying to draw a parallel between Chuck and Casey during this episode?

Parallel things:

Casey gave up his life and his love for a career with the government.
    Chuck gave up going with Sarah so he could be come a spy.

Casey took a gun.
    Chuck refused to take the gun.

Casey killed the rouge Colonel by snapping his neck.
    Chuck almost killed the bad guy by snapping his neck but stopped when he saw Sarah.

Casey said it was too late for him to go back to his life.
    Casey told Chuck that it wasn't too late for Chuck to have a normal life with Sarah.

Do you think the writers were trying to tell us that Casey is who Chuck could become if he continued down the spy path???

I think they're trying to say that Chuck is on that line of losing himself, thus becoming a true spy. He'll step over the line if he ever kills someone. It's like until he kills his first, he will remain Chuck...it's that final test for him to become a spy (like the preview for next week's episode hinted at).

Comment

Chuck is great for doing these parallels, i did see it this episode, but I feel it was done as great as the show used to do these. somehow the parallel shows back in the days used to be more poignant. Season 3 parallels seem more hidden. i think it might be the editing....

Comment

Yes. I think the Chuck/Casey parallels were like a big red flag waving in our faces. As much as I want Chuck to be a good spy, I don't want him to give up who he is and the idea of Chuck killing someone would totally change the dynamic of everything. The only time I can see Chuck killing anyone is to save Sarah's life. Then again, he saved her life many times without using a gun but Chuck isn't the same as he was as an analyst. If he truly wants to be a spy, isn't it inevitable that killing someone is going to have to happen? I just find it ironic how Casey is now the one telling Chuck to consider a relationship with Sarah which obviously was never the case before.

Comment

I think this show does a lot of parallels between characters but this episode is definitely more obvious than usual with the Chuck/Casey thing.

Anyway, i don't want Chuck to give up being Chuck, but i don't want Chuck to ever stop being a spy either so let's hope he stays in his middle-ish ground for as long as can... though like CaptainObvious said... the killing thing... well i think in a more realistic show it might be inevitable, and i actually did think about Chuck killing someone to save Sarah... i mean sure he saved her life without killing before but not every urgent situation is the same and there may come a day when the 'third option' just isn't avaible... but then this is a comedy show, even if it's been darker lately... so i don't know...

Comment

I look forward to the Chuck/Casey dynamic moving forward. If Casey holds tight to becoming a civilian (which of course we all hope he isn't for very long), I can picture Chuck conversing with him on missions to keep him in the loop only for Casey to be concerned about the big blowout weekend markdown sale at the Buy More. Maybe now more than ever moving a Beefmaster really is Casey's top priority! (I don't think so). Either way it's going to be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainObvious
              I look forward to the Chuck/Casey dynamic moving forward. If Casey holds tight to becoming a civilian (which of course we all hope he isn't for very long), I can picture Chuck conversing with him on missions to keep him in the loop only for Casey to be concerned about the big blowout weekend markdown sale at the Buy More. Maybe now more than ever moving a Beefmaster really is Casey's top priority! (I don't think so). Either way it's going to be funny.
              Yeah it's definitely going to be an interesting dynamic. Haha.

Sarah is a lot more easy going than Casey, well in comparison anyways, so I don't think Chuck would necessarily go the way of Casey if he uses a gun. What I could see happening is that Chuck calls himself into question when he is finally forced to use a gun--it's inevitable, but then after that he will only use a gun if deemed absolutely necessary. He will probably have a resistance to using a gun, but then will use it on rare occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainObvious
                Maybe now more than ever moving a Beefmaster really is Casey's top priority! (I don't think so). Either way it's going to be funny.
                That would be weird... funny but weird... also i thought it was called a Beastmaster.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎