No announcement yet.

So is Jack the Chosen One?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is Jack the Chosen One?

"Jack is here because he has to do something. He can't be told what that is. He's got to find it himself. Sometimes you can just hop in the back of someone's cab and tell them what they're supposed to do. Other times, you have to let him look out at the ocean for a while."
    -- Jacob ("Lighthouse")

So is Jack's importance to the island that he must be its next protector? (or the next Jacob?) He was "read" as a leader and a great man in the tattoo backstory episode (by the tattoo artist chick who could "see" people's true selves, and also have sex with them. ). And we know that Jacob has led others/told them what to do/guided things along etc for a very long time. The tattoo apparently says "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Which can be said of Jacob, who is clearly "separate" from those he leads/guides, and seems very "Jesus" like. Lots of Jesus allusions relating to Jack's character of course, with his name being Shephard (ie. shepherd), his father's name being Christian, etc. And Jack has always had a messiah complex as we all know, always needing to save others/fix things.

"Looking out at the ocean" is something we saw Jacob doing with the man in black. Is Jack destined to look out at the ocean too, just as Jacob did, waiting for the next candidates to arrive to do it all over again? Maybe this is how the series will end? With Jack and the next smokey (or the same smokey) on the beach, with smokey telling Jack he'll find a loophole one day and kill him, with Jack replying that he'll be right here when he does.
    (for related ideas, see: http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=140045)

Or do you think his destiny is something else, perhaps helping the chosen one in some way, sacrificing himself (dying) to save them and/or the island (the world?), stop Smokey, etc? (Whatever he has to do, it's probably connected to Claire in some way, since she's "possessed" right now and he's her brother. Maybe only he can save Claire or something. Or maybe he must make the hard choice and kill his own sister for the greater good?)

Either way I'm thinking given the Christ allusions we can definitely expect some sort of "ultimate sacrifice" on the part of Jack, likely giving his own life. Will he rise again like Jacob aka the other Jesus did? Probably. All depends if the Island (ie. God?) feels like it I guess. heh
    Last edited by Xanderman; 02-27-2010, 06:33 PM.

I agree, nice thinking. Jacob definitely has something planned for Jack, but I doubt he'll be the one to lead the island/be the next guardian. It could work if Sawyer became the new Smokey, though, they already have a conflict which is now even larger due to Juliet's death. And I'd bet Jack would sell his soul to the devil himself to help Claire.

Comment

i have no clue what their destinies will be cause they all seem to have one. i think jack needs to find himself before he can be what jacob is looking for. when jacob told hurley to tell jack he has what it takes perhaps it was just a phrase that will get jack to believe hurley bu6t to push jack into believing he has what it takes to be a stronger person then he is and how if he looked withen himself he could be a great leader and not just cry whenever he doesnt get his way.

oh and about the tatoos i wonder if he has those in the flash sideways cause it would be intresting if he didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by e-µ-i
        Jacob definitely has something planned for Jack, but I doubt he'll be the one to lead the island/be the next guardian.
        Why do you think it won't be Jack, just wondering? Either way I'm sure we can expect an ultimate self-sacrifice from him, and maybe even some sort of resurrection given all the Jesus stuff connected with his character? Given the fact that we've seen dead people live on (as ghosts or whatever), that definitely isn't too far of a stretch for this show (also, Sayid was literally resurrected). And a third kind of resurrection possible involves the AU. Like if our Jack dies, or if the AU Jack dies, the other Jack can replace him. Would be interesting if AU Jack dies, and at the end of the series the island or whatever sends our Jack to the other universe to be David's father and gives him a happy ending with his son.

And I'd bet Jack would sell his soul to the devil himself to help Claire.
        Definitely, ol "cross-bearing" Jack would sell his soul to help just about anybody it seems. lol He seems to want/need to be everybody's hero. Locke's apparent suicide and the guilt that caused him left him a broken man, and is a good example of how Jack feels for people, all people, even for ones he never even really got along with.

Originally posted by superhippie2000
        oh and about the tatoos i wonder if he has those in the flash sideways cause it would be intresting if he didnt.
        Yes that would be interesting wouldn't it. I never thought about that. Although technically he shouldn't have them I think, because AU Jack doesn't seem to be as "lost" as our Jack, and so shouldn't have ended up in that place trying to "find himself", right? Then again, he IS separated from his wife and has barely seen his own son, so this one's sort of lost too isn't he (he lost his father's body, too, lol). Guess in any universe, Jack is simply a loser, period. lol
        Last edited by Xanderman; 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

ya he went to find himself but cant remember did he go because of that situation with the surgery? the one he told kate about and the one where jacob gave him the candy bar? if that was part of it then perhaps he didnt go cause jacob never gave him the candy. wonder if he even did that surgery. but ya i guess jack is a "loser" no matter what. he just tries to hard to do stuff and wants to get involved in everyone elses life but no oneis allowed in his. maybe this is what jacobs trying to get out of him. the ability to to trust himself and not hide who he really is. jack needs to be a leader cause thats who he is not because he is a control freak.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
            if our Jack dies, or if the AU Jack dies, the other Jack can replace him. Would be interesting if AU Jack dies, and at the end of the series the island or whatever sends our Jack to the other universe to be David's father and gives him a happy ending with his son.
            Given the various Biblical themes so far, I think Jack on the island will sacrifice himself and the Jack in the AU will live. Locke in the AU will die and Fake Locke will be restored into real Locke and fulfill the destiny Ben/Richard originally said he would fulfill. In other words Jack and Locke's respective deaths will be a substitute for sin/evil and the evil inside Fake Locke will be destroyed.

Comment

Does everyone except the chosen one have to die?

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                ya he went to find himself but cant remember did he go because of that situation with the surgery? the one he told kate about and the one where jacob gave him the candy bar?
                Just checked and the Jack episode before that one had flashbacks of when he was obsessively trying to find out who his no-good wife cheated on him with (he suspected his dad), so I'm assuming this means he tried to find himself right after that.

Originally posted by resistorperish
                Given the various Biblical themes so far, I think Jack on the island will sacrifice himself and the Jack in the AU will live.
                I'm not really a fan of both universes continuing on forever but this does seem like a definite possibility. Maybe our Jack dies to save the other universe? Maybe this universe is doomed, or both are doomed if one isn't destroyed or something? Although you brought up the possibility of the universes "merging" on the other thread, hopefully you can explain that.

Locke in the AU will die and Fake Locke will be restored into real Locke and fulfill the destiny Ben/Richard originally said he would fulfill. In other words Jack and Locke's respective deaths will be a substitute for sin/evil and the evil inside Fake Locke will be destroyed.
                I'm not convinced AU Locke isn't the chosen one yet but if he does end up dying, what purpose do you see it serving? Will it be meaningless or will it accomplish something? Is his destiny to just die and that's it? For me one of two things will happen with AU Locke -- either he's the next Jacob, and/or he will be the one to defeat/stop Smokey (as a nice irony to Smokey ridiculing him), possibly dying in the process.

Originally posted by targis
                Does everyone except the chosen one have to die?
                No clue. What makes you think this?

Comment

No clue. What makes you think this?
                  It seems they are being marked of a hit list

Comment

you brought up the possibility of the universes "merging" on the other thread, hopefully you can explain that.
                    I'll have to spend some time Googling up where I got that from but from what I've read online, I am under the impression that the 2 stories will become 1 somehow.

I'm not convinced AU Locke isn't the chosen one yet but if he does end up dying, what purpose do you see it serving? Will it be meaningless or will it accomplish something? Is his destiny to just die and that's it?
                    Well if only 1 copy of each person can live permanently in 1 of the 2 universes, then the purpose I see in AU Locke dying is that Fake Locke will be the only Locke remaining and the small portion of real Locke within Fake Locke will defeat Smokey. Remember in the Matrix when Neo jumped inside Agent Smith and shattered him? I guess kinda like that... the death of AU Locke will force Locke's spirit into Fake Locke and shatter Smokey. Or... dead AU Locke (Jesus) resurrects himself into Fake Locke (hell/Smokey).
                    Last edited by resistorperish; 03-08-2010, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by targis
                      It seems they are being marked of a hit list
                      The list represents "candidates" apparently though, and more than one person (Smokey plus others) have said it's a list for a replacement for Jacob. I never really got the impression that it was a hit list....it might be for Smokey though, if he doesn't want any of the chosen candidates to take over the job, for whatever reason.

Originally posted by resistorperish
                      Well if only 1 copy of each person can live permanently in 1 of the 2 universes, then the purpose I see in AU Locke dying is that Fake Locke will be the only Locke remaining and the small portion of real Locke within Fake Locke will defeat Smokey.
                      That's providing that only 1 can live, yes. But not sure why this would have to be the case. As afterall there are billions of humans with mirror selves coexisting in both universes. Unless you think this only applies to the 6 candidates for some reason?

Remember in the Matrix when Neo jumped inside Agent Smith and shattered him? I guess kinda like that... the death of AU Locke will force Locke's spirit into Fake Locke and shatter Smokey. Or... dead AU Locke (Jesus) resurrects himself into Fake Locke (hell/Smokey).
                      Also sounds sort of like the Jet Li movie The One, where the death of an AU self causes their energy to jump into their remaining selves, as absurd/flawed a concept as that was. heh Speaking of Matrix similarities, I can see there being a similar type of relationship between Jacob (or the next chosen one) and Smokey (or the next smokey) as there was between Neo and Smith. Neo and Smith were both needed to "balance the equation" (they were like opposites of one another) or something like that. They could be doing something similar here with the island requiring a similar balance.
                      Last edited by Xanderman; 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I really hope that Jack dies! He got soooo annoying...! They should have forcused on the other characters that aren´t as well developed yet, like Claire´s character for example! I think there isn´t much to tell about Jack anymore...!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎